• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Prime and my new-to-me NSX. A long read.

I was fortunate enough to test drive an NSX for the first time when I was 16, I drove it very cautiously as I wasn't experienced enough as a driver to appreciate it, but it was an absolutely gorgeous 94 Berlina on black in 95. I found NSX Prime when I was in college and began reading posts, looking at pictures of NSX's, and looking at NSX's for sale-though I couldn't quite afford one.

Around that time I had a 94 3000GT VR4, and my friend bought a 91 Berlina on black NSX. Having driven for 6 years at this point, I was able to begin to understand the handling prowess of the NSX, both following him and driving it. I could see the higher corner-entry speed in comparison to my VR4 right away, and I would have loved to have had an NSX but couldn't quite swing it. In October 2001, I got a call from my friend, he was going to NSXPO 2001 in Elkheart Lake Wisconsin, and told me I could go if I wanted to. Naturally, I jumped at the opportunity. I was living in Chicago at the time, so he would pick me up in the NSX and we would make the relatively short drive from Chicago.

The picturesque October landscape in rural Wisconsin was beautiful and there had to be close to 100 NSX's. I was impressed at how professional and organized everyone was, especially on the group drive and the banquet dinner with David Hobbs as a guest speaker. And then the two track days at Road America-the best place to drive an NSX the way its made to be driven. I had several years experience at that point driving desolate country roads and teaching myself as much as possible under the confines of winding roads, but I had never been on a real road course before NSXPO. I got the opportunity to ride along with an Asian gentleman from FL that was racing Formula Atlantic, and had a very prepared 93 Formula Red on black complete with supercharger, 6 speed conversion, Brembo racing brakes, R comps, fully adjustable coil overs, etc.

Needless to say I was humbled. Exiting the carousel in 4th, we head for the kink and all I see is a white wall that opens up to the back straight. As we fly through the corner at the top of 4thhyu7l, Peter Cunningham doing a demo drive in the then-new RSX typeS was in the middle of passing a slower driver in an NSX. We close fast, really fast, and just as I was thinking we need to hit the brakes, Cunningham looks up in the rear view and immediately completes the pass-we never touched the brakes...all of this at over 125mph(!).

That weekend, I got to see (and hear) the Comptech Realtime NSX race car, the Integra type R T2 class car, and their drivers doing laps around RA. I got to meet the owners of some of the NSX performance specialty shops as well as various NSX Prime members. I vowed to some day get an NSX and from that point I started taking driving seriously, doing numerous HPDE's for 6 years, winning A-stock in an S2000 in my local SCCA region in my first and only season, and eventually going to racing school's in between-earning an SCCA National Competition License in the process.

I now have a 91 NSX 5spd. I bought it from a fellow Prime member, who was straight forward, knowledgeable, and gracious-making it a pleasure to buy such a unique and superior sports car. I am thrilled with the car and can't wait to get some DE's in before the winter. I have already found some extremely helpful and resourceful Prime members here locally, and can't wait to start enjoying my ownership with them. This really is, in my opinion, the ultimate sports car from a variety of different perspectives. I prefer the NSX over any of its competition, new or used, and prefer it over higher-powered sports cars as well. When I think of my NSX I think of Soichioro Honda, Ayrton Senna, and an era of greatness from Honda in F1 and ultimately the production of such an advanced machine, so creative and ingenious in its concept, engineering, and driving experience. If you have the opportunity to own one, take it.

If you have the opportunity to own one, take it.
Couldn't have said any of that better myself! Very nice introduction and glad to see that you've joined the family after all this time - though it appears you were an 'adopted' family member here from a very young age. Great to see your 1991 NSX in the hands of someone who truly appreciates it. May you enjoy many more miles! Perhaps take a non-owning enthusiast to NSXPO 2013 to repay the experience that you had back in 2001. Welcome aboard.

Hey, not a bad write up at all. I'm jealous that you got to be around to view the RTR NSX and ITR, not to mention share track time with Petey.

Pictures, now.

Congrats and great read.

So now that you are a NSX owner, hopefully you have joined the NSXCA nsxca.org. By being a member you'll receive notices of local events, future NSXPO's as well as NSX Driver Magazine.

Your post would make a great article for the magazine as well. You might want to contact the editor, Marcus at [email protected], about that.

Here is where it started for you......

9476283_9ZvZn-XL.jpg

I got the opportunity to ride along with an Asian gentleman from FL that was racing Formula Atlantic, and had a very prepared 93 Formula Red on black complete with supercharger, 6 speed conversion, Brembo racing brakes, R comps, fully adjustable coil overs, etc.

That sounds suspiciously like Wei-Shen. NSXRAY, was that you spreading automotive cheer as you graciously do wherever you go? If so, SlipAngle, you met one of the truly special people on the planet, a true enthusiast, a great guy, someone that can do more with 24 hours than anyone I know, and someone many of us, including myself, admire a bunch.

(Moderators, hope this is OK: Shameless plug: If it was Wei-Shen, check out what he co-founded: Chin Motorsports at www.chinmotorsports.com. No, I'm not affiliated other than being a member and satisfied Chin Motorsports track day participant.)

Last edited:
great xpo,that was RSO's first xpo if i remember.Many of us got some hot laps in the supercharged #42....wow...PD drove like a surgeon.I was so proud to have him take my car out for a few laps,and got his blessing.John Vasos and crew busting ass fixing like everyones car:eek:.....Me laughing at MJ going off in canada,only to be yanked out myself next session:redface: Watching my now wife then gf turning green in the passenger seat on track...the look on many of our faces when we find out there were "secret' underground parking spots for a chosen few:tongue:.....great event!

Yes, Wei-Shen was his name! and what a driver. We would touch 155mph on every straight and he would crack off text book perfect heel and toe downshifts from 6th all the way down to 3rd or 2nd while thresh hold braking at nearly every brake zone. I remember getting out in the paddock, looking at the ground, and thinking "its going to take a long time to learn how to do half the things this guy is doing".

He would exit T6 in 2nd or 3rd and I distinctly remember him short-shifting to 4th before we entered carousel. About a third of the way through, the rear was gently breaking away, rotating just the right amount as to avoid understeer as I could hear my helmet clanking against the pass. window, both hands holding the OS handle!

RSO 34 - thats a great picture and I remember that day-all the different colored NSX's. What a beautiful setting. The group drive to the air museum was awesome and reminds me of another story: my friend and I some how ended up leaving the museum last to go back to the Ostoff Resort. We were truely lost and ended up on a highway instead of the two lane country roads we had taken there. Just as we were thinking we would have to stop fro directions a Zanardi NSX passes us slowly, a middle aged man driving with his wife in the passenger seat. She waved at us, not knowing we were lost I'm sure, and we followed them off the highway to the country roads of Wisconsin. The driver quickened the pace turn by turn as my friend was instantly on white knuckle status. We were flying down a hill, i checked up at the speedometer-triple digits as we head for a 90 degree left at the bottom of the hill, front rotors vibrating and not-so-crisp heel and toe down shift to 2nd. We somehow made it through, with a slight drift on exit, topping out 2nd (NA1). I look ahead only to see the tail of the Zanardi crest the hill 8 or 9 car lengths up. We crest the hill and he is 2 turns ahead already. My friend was like "jeez this guy can drive". A mile or so later we are at the resort, brakes thoroughly cooked and smelling up the place. I think that guy was form NJ? I have lots of memories like that from NSXPO 01.

Thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to making it to NSXPO 13!

Last edited:
Back