• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R Chassis/Sway Bars - Highly Recommended

I'm also running the NSX-R front sway and the 2 x chassis bars. I only see benefits for this upgrade.

I agree, the NSX-R chassis bars and sway are mods with little or no drawback that produces outstanding results. Very low cost, relatively easy install. Should have been standard on all NSXs. One of the very few areas Honda could have done a little better on the OEM versions but didn't. At least they caught on for the Type-R.

I believe you mean the type R REAR sway bar is identical to our US spec REAR bar. And only the Zanardi/Type-S has a thicker REAR sway bar. Unless I'm missing something.....

Wait now I'm confused... so the type R sway bar to upgrade with (for US models) is strictly the front one, right? And is the Zanardi/TypeS rear sway bar is thicker than the type R one? If so, has anyone combined the front Type R sway with the rear Zanardi one, effectively upping the thickness of both sway bars?

This mod was the first and only mod I did. Works great. Dit it myself on a stock '04. Bottom took about 15 minutes including jacking up the car. The upper bar is another story. Several hours of work including research time and figuring thisngs out, but no bumper removal or radiator tilting required. Look for my previous post as well as others and you will have all the tips and instructions you need. All the work is done from below, I pulled the radiator shroud out through the bottom, this made making the cuts for the bar in the shroud easy and look factory. There are dashed lines where to cut the shroud marked on the newer models.

Like many said it is a mod that should have come from the factory, and it looks like they planned for it by making the stencil already in the shroud. For those who are very anal, you get to clean the shroud when you take it out. The thing is so lfexible you can just about roll it into a ball when you remove it, don't worry, you can't break it.

Good luck,

Tytus

+1 for the bars... great add in my opionion.. all most a must have

as for the install did it myself wasn't all that hard no radiator tilt, but i did remove the front bumper which made putting the front bar on way easy... the bumper does pull off with a couple of bolts so its not as complicated as it sounds. my friend and i did the whole thing in less then 90 min.

Wait now I'm confused... so the type R sway bar to upgrade with (for US models) is strictly the front one, right? And is the Zanardi/TypeS rear sway bar is thicker than the type R one? If so, has anyone combined the front Type R sway with the rear Zanardi one, effectively upping the thickness of both sway bars?

Yes it has been done. Not by me but by other primers and they report good results with the R/Z swaybar setup.

I didn't like the R swaybar very much and didn't feel like risking having a complete setup I REALLY didn't like by purchasing the Z swaybar. So I went with the dali setup because adjustability is KING!

Correct.
I have type-r sways up front & zanardi in the rear.
It changes the character... like that of a S2000.
Some like it, some don't. I love it, but that's purely
base on my driving style.

Definitely get the Dali Street/Track or Track bars... I love mine! I kind of wish I went a little thicker but i love it just the same!

And yea you will need spacers for the lower NSX-R chassis bar if you get anything bigger than the NSX-R front sway bar.

I find that with my car lowered, and with the spacers, this is the first thing to scrape on some of the uneven roads around town. Not a huge deal to me tho.

This is also my concern, I have the TEIN flex going in soon, so I don't want to have any major understeering issues. What settings do you have/recommend for the street?

Well my recommendation would be to do the coilover swap. Drive it for a while. Analyze your driving style and the car's behavior. Make adjustments to the coilovers while at the same time, trying different driving styles. Unless you have a perfect driving style, you can always make changes to yourself to fix any small quirks the car might have. Reanalyze. Then order your swaybars according to your need.

My problem was I did the type r front swaybar and coilovers at the same time. I should of spent the time dialing in the coilovers before I even considered the swaybar. It was shocking how much a difference various swaybars would make, some for the good, some for the bad and some plain dangerous.

Definitely get the Dali Street/Track or Track bars... I love mine! I kind of wish I went a little thicker but i love it just the same!

Yeah, I wish I would of went for the thicker Track bars when I swapped over from the Tein RE to the Bilstein stock springs. With the softer rates that the oem springs provide, you can run even STIFFER swaybars while still maintaining great handling on rough corners/roads.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me the proper TORQUE SPEC for the lower chassis bar which mounts to the OEM bolts?

THANKS!

I put these both on last night. Bottom was easy, as stated before. Top one was not that hard, just a pain.

Great learning experience though!

Can't wait to drive it!

I put these both on last night. Bottom was easy, as stated before. Top one was not that hard, just a pain.

Great learning experience though!

Can't wait to drive it!

Finally drove it today. IMHO it makes a BIG difference in the solid feel of the front end.

Another alternative is STMPO's NSX Front Chassis Reinforcement Bar. Ross installed on my SC '99. Very nice product and great service.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109360

front reinforcement is a huge upgrade to our cars....

for thoose who want to aviod the major installation cost... we have had members instal our bar without removing the front bumper...

we make them to order and you choose the finish

what about the zanardi sway bars? are they better than stock?
can i use the zanardi sways with NSX-R chassis bar ??

tks

Last edited:
what about the zanardi sway bars? are they better than stock?
can i use the zanardi sways with NSX-R chassis bar ??

tks

the zanardi sway bars are better than the stock set up.

You can use any swaybar with the nsx-r chassis bars. You can also use our chassis re-bar with any sway bar and also the nsx-r bars.. aka - many options to stiffen the front up

I'm going back and forth on whether or not i should go with the stiffer sway bars.

I'm concern with the increase in under and over steering. Especially oversteering.

I have not seen any difference in oversteer or understeer just as long as you have both the sway bars set to the same stiffness setting (if you are using the dali track or street bars) then you will maintain most of the balance of the car.

Other mods like lowering it and stiffening the dampers might affect this in one way or another.

I have not seen any difference in oversteer or understeer just as long as you have both the sway bars set to the same stiffness setting (if you are using the dali track or street bars) then you will maintain most of the balance of the car.

Other mods like lowering it and stiffening the dampers might affect this in one way or another.

My car is lowered where the edge of the tires is flushed with the fender lip.

Is this an issue?

My car is lowered where the edge of the tires is flushed with the fender lip.

Is this an issue?

same here and I'm using the dali street/track bars... I kind of wish I went with the full track bars as you really don't sacrifice any ride comfort when you go bigger.

Just be sure whatever size u put in the front you do the same in the rear. This will minimize most of the changes and stiffen it up nicely.

If you use anything other than the NSX-R sway bar in the front and you have the NSX-R chassis bars, you'll need the spacers for the lower chassis bar to avoid rubbing. Good luck!

Hey everyone,
Have a question. Did anyone have to have/need an alignment done after installing the chassis bars and NSX-R sway bar? I just had these installed by my local Acura dealer on my 2005 and also replaced the rear tires(OEM's) but the car is experiencing understeer. When changing lanes, the car just doesn't want to cross the center line, and when it does, it feels like the car has caught a wave and rushes into the other lane. When going from left lane to right lane, at first the car doesn't want to cross the center, when it does, it feels like the front right dips and then car moves into the lane then I have to catch it. Once in a lane, or in a turn the car seems very stable. It seems to have trouble making the initial turn. After install of bars, steering seems lighter than stock. Really notice it on a multi-lane highway, car just doesn't seem planted in the front anymore. Anyone else experience this? I wouldn't think I would need an alignment after installing these bars would I??? Any suggestions?
From reading all the posts, sounds like everyone is really happy with this mod, so not sure why I'm having trouble. Maybe it has something to do with the rear tires, but that was simple replacement of OEMs. (????)

Hey everyone,
Have a question. Did anyone have to have/need an alignment done after installing the chassis bars and NSX-R sway bar? I just had these installed by my local Acura dealer on my 2005 and also replaced the rear tires(OEM's) but the car is experiencing understeer. When changing lanes, the car just doesn't want to cross the center line, and when it does, it feels like the car has caught a wave and rushes into the other lane. When going from left lane to right lane, at first the car doesn't want to cross the center, when it does, it feels like the front right dips and then car moves into the lane then I have to catch it. Once in a lane, or in a turn the car seems very stable. It seems to have trouble making the initial turn. After install of bars, steering seems lighter than stock. Really notice it on a multi-lane highway, car just doesn't seem planted in the front anymore. Anyone else experience this? I wouldn't think I would need an alignment after installing these bars would I??? Any suggestions?
From reading all the posts, sounds like everyone is really happy with this mod, so not sure why I'm having trouble. Maybe it has something to do with the rear tires, but that was simple replacement of OEMs. (????)

No need after just an install of the bars.

How worn were you rear tires? That could CERTAINLY affect your handling.

Hey everyone,

You shouldn't need to do an alignment as neither the chassis bars or sways don't change the ride hight, alignment, etc.

It sounds like the toe setting on the front is messed up.

On a straight road does the car track straight with no hands on the wheel?

When the car is going straight, is the wheel centered or slightly cocked?

Do you have brand new tires on the front?

Last edited:
The Chasis bars would not cause the effects you are descibing. The sway bar, maybe but also unlikely. Tires could but if the fronts are OEMs as well as the rears nothing drastic should occur. Are your front tires worn? Usually on the inside.

I installed the Chasis bars on my '04 and noticed a tighter feel and better turn in but nothing drastic. Maybe the dealer screwed something up installing the sway bar. It is possible that there is some interference with the lower Chasis bar and the sway that is contributing to this problem. SOS has a kit to lower the bar if there if interference, maybe the dealer didn't check the clearence with teh oversized bar, although the real Type-R bar is supposed to go on without issues.

Good luck,

Tytus

Back