• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nsx-r suspension drop

...thought i'd add another data point. this is the drop on my 03

front: 0.5 inch lower
rear: not quite 0.75 inch lower

i thought the jrz's on my s2000 where stiff but the type-r suspension is the stiffest suspension i've ever driven on. :biggrin:

attachment.php

attachment.php

On the issue of extreme stiffness of the Type R springs, for my CTSC'd daily driver, I went with Type R sways but Zanardi springs. Much stiffer then stock, .75" lower but not nearly as stiff as Type R. Bit of a compromise. Very happy with the setup.

...thought i'd add another data point. this is the drop on my 03

front: 0.5 inch lower
rear: not quite 0.75 inch lower

i thought the jrz's on my s2000 where stiff but the type-r suspension is the stiffest suspension i've ever driven on. :biggrin:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is the top before and the bottom after?

Just curious, what are the R spring rates? I'm not sure it is that stiff only because of spring rates. I am running 18/11 KG (1000/600#) and my ride is barely stiffer than stock. So the damper has a lot to do with it. I don't know what the R damper does. But I am curious about their spring setup. I wonder if this is in the wiki...

Just curious, what are the R spring rates? I'm not sure it is that stiff only because of spring rates. I am running 18/11 KG (1000/600#) and my ride is barely stiffer than stock. So the damper has a lot to do with it. I don't know what the R damper does. But I am curious about their spring setup. I wonder if this is in the wiki...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6405

2002 NSX JDM NA2 Type R
Front Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 10.4 ~ 580 lb/ft
Rear Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 8.3 ~ 460 lb/ft

2002 NSX JDM NA2 Type R
Front Damper Rate (kgf 0.3m/sec): 321,208
Rear Damper Rate (kgf 0.3m/sec): 338,244

It's because the dampers are stiff as well as the design of the damper compared to your remote reservoir KW which use a high pressure N02 charge. My understanding after reading Jan's (JRZ) book is that the high pressure helps support the unsprung weight thus acting as a spring itself.

Last edited:
Wow those springs are not even that stiff.

What's the big deal with the R suspension? It seems to me quite a few others will outperform it for what it costs. I've heard more than one person tell me it feels extremely stiff. Isn't it like 4K?

Also doesn't it have a remote reservoir just fixed and next to the shock body?

Last edited:
Wow those springs are not even that stiff.

What's the big deal with the R suspension? It seems to me quite a few others will outperform it for what it costs. I've heard more than one person tell me it feels extremely stiff. Isn't it like 4K?

Also doesn't it have a remote reservoir just fixed and next to the shock body?

only the rear has the extra reservoir.The only thing special about the R susp is that honda put it together.The damper is a shawa.

only the rear has the extra reservoir.The only thing special about the R susp is that honda put it together.The damper is a shawa.

So basically it is rather stiff, it is not adjustable for any settings, it doesn't lower the car much and you can't change that, and it costs $4400 because Honda assembles it. I don't understand why someone would buy this over something else at 4K. You can get a set of JRZ RS pros for that kind of money. You can get a set of KW clubsports. You can get a set of V3's and a free cruise to the Caribbean for the same money. :confused:

So basically it is rather stiff, it is not adjustable for any settings, it doesn't lower the car much and you can't change that, and it costs $4400 because Honda assembles it. I don't understand why someone would buy this over something else at 4K. You can get a set of JRZ RS pros for that kind of money. You can get a set of KW clubsports. You can get a set of V3's and a free cruise to the Caribbean for the same money. :confused:

you have some valid points,but there are some owners who don't want to mess with adjustments,like oem,and have more money than you....Just so you know I bought mine for 1800$ new before the price doubled:smile:

Like Doc said. Honda did a lot of testing with the Type R to dial it in, so yes you can get adjustables that are better, but then you are going to have to be test driver, engineer and suspension black magic guru.

Some people prefer to install and drive and know that Honda did all the work. Same with a 911 GT3. Some replace the OEM and like to tweak themselves, others would think it would be sacrilege to mess with all the work Porsche engineers did to get it right. Although, even a GT3 just like a Type R is still going to be a compromise - albeit skewed more track than street, it's still a street car.

Well KW also did a lot of engineering work on the car, and the V3 is also install out of the box kind of thing.

I guess I was one of those guys that always thought the factory had it best, until I realized that the factory, on everything, guesses at the best compromise. That there is no "standard", and that so many other things like the wheels used, the tires used, the type of track, the driving abilities, all this comes into play... and what seemed great 10 minutes ago before a wheel and tire change is now not so great at all. One of the compromises the factory ALSO must make is to fit within a certain budget allocated, and that kills much of what an engineer would like to do. That constraint, perhaps the biggest one, is taken away in the aftermarket. When you spend 4K on an R type suspension, you are absolutely not getting your money's worth if you just look at the part itself and realize it's just not that great. Where is your money going? To the Honda parts depertment profit center. It is like buying the Bose subwoofer through Honda for $1200 when it reality it is kind of a dumpy part whose performance can be surpassed by something that costs half as much.

If you need advice on setup, your source is prime, plenty of guys on here that have a lot of knowledge and experience. My dampers are possibly as complex as you can get, and I got lucky enough to have Billy Johnson send me an email and tell me exactly what to do with those, in a very detail oriented way.

I think this whole "OEM Honda" and its cousin "overpriced Mugen" thing is way overblown. You can also buy an OEM brake system for the price of a Stoptech or Brembo BBK. No one in their right mind would do that. So we don't do it with brakes, or the stereo, why would you do it on the suspension.

Last edited:
I just realized this is a post in the gallery section. I thought it was track. I am sorry for hijacking the thread.

So basically it is rather stiff, it is not adjustable for any settings, it doesn't lower the car much and you can't change that, and it costs $4400 because Honda assembles it.

Like Doc said. Honda did a lot of testing with the Type R to dial it in, so yes you can get adjustables that are better, but then you are going to have to be test driver, engineer and suspension black magic guru.

For what it is worth, given their reputations for performance + streetability my choice seemed to be between KW V3 and NSX-R. I went with NSX-R for the following reasons:
  • I want a reasonable ride height, minimum drop on KW V3 was too much.
  • I want plug-and-go w/o chance that something will be inadvertently adjusted (no adjustments, please).
  • True or false, my perception is that the Showa dampers will last longer / have higher reliability.

For what it is worth, given their reputations for performance + streetability my choice seemed to be between KW V3 and NSX-R. I went with NSX-R for the following reasons:
  • I want a reasonable ride height, minimum drop on KW V3 was too much.
  • I want plug-and-go w/o chance that something will be inadvertently adjusted (no adjustments, please).
  • True or false, my perception is that the Showa dampers will last longer / have higher reliability.

I understand the no adjustments argument fully. Also the OEM still uses the OEM top mount AND the rubber isolator on the top hat for the spring. It's NEVER going to make noise. As to reliability? The KWs can be serviced/rebuilt but I think the Showa you may be SOL or very expensive to custom rebuild if it's even possible.

It's really a tough choice that each individual will have to decide what is most important to them. I can't fault either choice.

Also the OEM still uses the OEM top mount AND the rubber isolator on the top hat for the spring. It's NEVER going to make noise.
One fear of mine from comments on Prime was noise - mostly hearing more rattles (didn't really consider that shocks could be source of noise like it sounds like they can be with different top/isolator). I'm very happy on the noise aspect (if there is more noise, I can't hear it). My coupe is still rattle free. NSX-R suspension is more bouncy than I expected over uneven roads...but is surprisingly compliant and quiet over abrupt bumps at speed (concrete seams, etc on interstate). The rough roads I expected to be annoying are fine...it is the normal road undulations the car now follows that have me moving around. Go figure.

As to reliability? The KWs can be serviced/rebuilt but I think the Showa you may be SOL or very expensive to custom rebuild if it's even possible.
Yes, that (expense/difficulty to find replacements) is the risk. I'm hoping they go long enough without needing a replacement/rebuild that it doesn't matter.

Latzke, less than an inch drop was too much for you? Why? You worried about scraping? That's not much of a drop.

Latzke, less than an inch drop was too much for you? Why? You worried about scraping? That's not much of a drop.

The NSX was already low enough stock, I don't want to remove functionality. I don't want to be one of those jackasses going over the RR tracks at 10-20 miles an hour when 50 should do just fine.

1.5 weeks on the NSX-R and I've already scraped twice. Once (front lip) at the local independent Porsche shop getting tech'd for NSXPO (center jack point also barely cleared pulling into the bay...the place is poorly laid out for low cars, which is ironic). A second time (center jack point) on the new fancy pull-out to accommodate-low-cars ramps on an alignment rack. They've had the new lift for 2 months and I am the first to scrape.

Let me turn it around why would I WANT to go lower? Hellaflush/stance are not my thing (they are horrible).

Back