• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Poll: Previous Porsche Drivers?

I met a few new NSX buddies this week, and in the course of discussion realized there were a few of them that were previous Porsche drivers, like me. So I am curious. How many current NSX drivers that view this forum are previous Porsche drivers?

I drove an 88 928S4 for nine years and 55K miles. I loved it, but its time came and went. I sold it for the NSX which is a very different car and one that suits me better for what I want in a sports car. As I said, I loved the 928 and forgave the many little things that I would find unacceptable in an ordinary car, but because of its "German" charactor (plastic that cracks, switches that go bad, illumination bulbs that burn out, oil that leaks, etc) I deceided not to buy a new Porsche.

I did however just swap my trusty Subaru for a 97 Audi A6 Avant as my beater car. I love the Audi too, but it too is very ahem... "German".

I owned an 86 Carrera, then a RS America... then I finally made it to the NSX, the Acura is a much better car to drive IMO

:D

87 928 S4....didn't really do it for me

Had an '87 Carrera, '85 928 s, '87 928 s4 5-spd and an '89 928 GT. I currently have a reproduction of a '56 550 Spyder built by Vintage in CA. 1300 lbs with a 186hp motor.

87 944, bought for 8K, then put another 8k into in it about a year. With insurance at 2400 a year for only 1 ticket, and the final straw being a blown headgasket, I took her straight from the Porsche dealership to another dealership and drove away in a 94 C4 vette, with a 7 year, 100k warranty. Made money on the trade, as the guys said they had rarely seen a car so well taken care of. Missed it, due to the build quality of non drivetrain items, and the fact it always wanted to run about 110mph. Felt comfy in that spot. Lost all the trade-in gain back when I got raped trading the vette in on the NSX. Do I regret any of it? Not a bit!!!

I'm still a Porsche driver.

In addition to my NSX, I also own a Speed Yellow/Black '02 Boxster S and a factory built Grand Prix White/Mahagony '87 911 Turbo Look Cabriolet (1 of 16 built).

In the past, I've also owned these Porsche's:

'83 911 Coupe - Guards red/tan

'83 911 Targa - White/brown

'88 911 Coupe - Bought new in '88. Carmine red/linen.

'60 356 Super 90 Cabriolet - Black/red

'88 930 Turbo Cabriolet - Triple black

'97 Boxster - Black/red

'99 996 Cabriolet - Guards Red/savannah beige

'98 911 C2S - Speed Yellow with factory Aerokit

used to own a 911 carrera for a while in the 80's.
I'd enjoyed that car then...

yezzzzzzz

:D

Had an'87 944 Turbo, then an '88 911 Turbo with RUF conversion built for the Silver State Classic race, and now the NSX. I'm happiest with the NSX.

HAD:

'84 911 Cabriolet
'84 911 Targa
'86 911 Targa
'88 911 Targa

Still dreaming about:

'89 Speedster (either white or yellow:D )

my list:

2000 Boxster S
2001 Boxster S
2003 Boxster S
1999 996 with cup aerokit

Aaron

Very Interesting

One of my new NE Region NSXCA buddies Larry and I were talking about this at Kids Day at The Glen this week. I believe he said he had 6 previous Porsches! I remember my perfect red/black '87 911 cab driving away (yes it hurt!) but I just was out in my garage drooling over my 95 NSX-T and I feel better. For those of you "on the fence" - research an NSX and you will discover why this is a superior vehicle. DAMN - what a machine. And totally neutral in the toe of the boot at The Glen with 33 front/40 rear tire pressures.

I don't have an NSX now (sold) but before I had an NSX, I had a few Porsches. And I have an 02 cab for sale now in case anyone else would like to own a Porsche along with their NSX. :p

Had (actually still technically have) a '74 Porsche 911 Targa. The reason I say 'had' is that, unfortunately, the engine caught fire on the freeway last week. :( Still working out the details with the insurance company. I guess she is pretty much totalled, but I want to see if I can salvage her for maybe a track car.

Oh, yeah, also had a 1965 Porsche 911 (the 1791th 911 ever built) that I had as a project, that never panned out. Ended up selling to a German Collector who has space for it in his garage next to 18 other 911's, and an Aston Martin DB5.

Last edited:
Had a 1982 911 SC coupe and a 1973 914 2.0 L. Wonderful cars. You got to love the sound of an aircooled flat six !!

I own a 996tt. Quality and performance of NSX can't even come close to compare to Porsche.

2003050afull.gif

topdaytrader,

Hey figures are great, but nothing compared to experience. I was a parts manager for one of the largest Porsche dealers on the East coast, and I have also worked for 2 Honda dealers and 1 Acura dealer. I'll tell you what those figures don't. Problems per 100 vehicles, I'll bet you (from witnessing it myself) that the problems on Hondas and Acuras are small ones compared to the larger Porsche faults. I have seen so many boxsters, and 996s with their trannys out for a damn leaking rear main seal, does your leak? You should take a look, 7 out of 10 do. Is your SRS light on? I've ordered more seat belt buckles for 996s and Boxsters due to SRS problems then oil filters in one month!!! No lie. How about all the Boxster people out there that had to wait for ever for the stupid radio that always breaks and is on backorder for 8 months. Lets not even get into all the people with 993s with squeaking back windows that need their entire window replaced with a new seal installed. Ever try to diagnose a mystery electrical problem on a 928? I can go on and on. Point is for every huge problem in a Porsche, yes, a few more Hondas or Acuras go into the shop, but the Hondas mostly are just for "stupid stuff" like cigarette lighters and squeaky brakes. One more thought, if the typical Porsche was driven as rough (and I don't mean track events) as many people drive their Hondas (not changing oil for 30,000 miles, reckless driving, not knowing how to drive in general) you would see many many more Porsches in the shop then what is reported.

I don't mean to go off, but I have gone through many days of having obnoxious Porsche owners screaming at me because their damn car was broken down again, and the parts were on back order....again!! To tell you the truth working for Porsche was the reason I bailed out of the auto business all together.

Now…please be easy on the return flames, I don’t want to have get my boxing gloves on. I love all cars, and one day I will have a 993 twin turbo sitting right next to my NSX in the garage. I merely think the figures that were posted, on a NSX site none-the-less, don’t tell the whole story.

In response to the original post.....
Dennis, I met you at the Glen...I have a 1988 911 with 56,000 miles that's in the process of being sold. I better sell it quick before the damn engine temp sensor goes bad again :) Too bad you can't make it to the Poker Rally. I'm sure I'll see you around!!

Regards,

John

topdaytrader said:
I own a 996tt. Quality and performance of NSX can't even come close to compare to Porsche.

Baloney.

Here's what's wrong with those figures. They are an average of all car models sold by that nameplate - regardless of who built them. And this particular survey was done for 2000 model year cars based on number of problems after three years of ownership.

As you can see, American Honda did very very well - but what cars are included in its numbers? About 200 NSXs. About 400,000 Accords, which are also extremely reliable. And, unfortunately, about 50-70,000 Honda Passports which were built by Isuzu. Yes, Isuzu, which you will find near the bottom of that list. So you have relatively unreliable SUVs built by Isuzu getting averaged in with the reliable vehicles built by Honda. That effect will diminish in the studies two years from now (some Passports were sold for 2002, but not many) and be gone completely the following year.

Want to see where Acura stacks up against Porsche if you leave out the Honda brand? Almost exactly the same place:

2003050b.gif

I think it's great for Porsche that they are finally - finally! - starting to pay attention to quality, after all those years of simply dreadful cars reliability-wise. It's about time.

talk bout selective quoting...
topay- I'm new to this board but every post I've seen u post has been anti NSX/ constructive ..

Porsche

I have:

89 911 Cab, Grand Prix White with navy interior besides the NSX.

Almost bought a 97 C2S or 97 TT. Happy I bought the NSX.

topdaytrader said:

I doubt even the most rabid Porsche fanatics would agree with the statement about quality. Any honest look at the maintenance costs and repair history of a 91 911 vs. 91 NSX, a 95 911 vs. 95 NSX, or a 99 911 vs. 99 NSX (and the years in between) will dispel your propaganda.

Performance varies. Yes, Honda didn't upgrade the NSX over the years, so a 2003 stands at a disadvantage to a 996 TT that costs well over 50% more, but compare it to a non-turbo 996 and the NSX is hardly embarassed.

I hear the fbody boys are looking for some arrogant flamers. I suggest you register here.

;) :D

There are three words that almost any late model porsche owner will tell you makes one cry, and it the reason my 4 porsches are no longer in the garage: REAR MAIN SEAL. Go to Porsche Pete's Boxster board and do a search. www.ppbb.com
Go Honda!
Aaron :)

Back