• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Poll: Previous Porsche Drivers?

Almost forgot I owned a Porsche

I was reading this thread and about halfway through I remembered that I owned a 944 at one time. I traded in my '84 Corvette for the 944. I really liked the Corvette, but the squeaks and rattles were embarassing, and it needed a lot of maintenance. I only had the Porsche for about a year. It really was a forgettable car. Did nothing for me at all. I know most don't consider the front-engined 944 to be a true Porsche, but I thought it would be better than it was. I traded it in for a Fiero GT, which was a lot of fun to drive. The Fiero seemed to have better pick up, and the handling was almost equal. The Fiero had a lot of understeer though.

porsche

nsx is an excellent car. i owned a 95 carrera and a 98 carrera s , by far the best sports cars ever built rock solid bank vault style, true exotics. oldr porsches leak handle like s--t, but 993 style cars, best drivers by far. nsx needs to be updated design doesnt work anymore. porsche still does way ahead of its time.

Thank God for the NSX!

I was a Porsche guy. I've owned four. Back in the early eighties, Honda didn't make a sports car. The only Honda car I knew was a small orange thing that my friend drove in highschool. I remember two guys would sit in the trunk/hatch are with their legs hanging out while we could fit a girl sitting across them. I can't imagine driving around these days with six legs hanging out the back of a car. It was almost like the clown car, how many people can we fit in there. But it never broke down.

Porsche lost it's direction, and after the 993 was postponed three years until '96, I lost the faith. When they put the 928 wheels on the 911, that was the last straw. There was not going to be a 959 for the masses, and the 996 wasn't shaping up to what I thought it would be either. Seems like Porsche would always find some excuse to joint develop with VW during the lean times. I thought that the dealerships treated customers like crap, as well.

I can't say that I was too crazy about the NSX when I first saw a picture of it. The wheels were wrong for the car, and the roof was the wrong color. Seeing the car with different wheels and the roof painted body color changed my opinion. I liked the idea of mid-engine with a firewall behind my back. You can change anything about a car, except the chassis. I think that this is the strongest/weakest link in the Porsche armor. Perfected over the years, a rear engine car is still a bad idea from an engineering point of view, but it does make the car unique and fun.

When I moved back to NY in 2000, one of my neighbors had just bought a Boxter for $75K. I had just bought my current NSX for $75K, and everyone said that my car looked like more for the money. Had James Dean not died in a Porsche, I think the marque would be worth less. All I hear about Porsche is tradition and it's rich history, but I don't see them racing any factory cars now. While Honda isn't doing well with racing cars, I remember what a joke Porsche's return to Indy was.

The current Porsches don't do anything for me. I think the turbo looks silly with the grill between the headlights and the long nose. Why make a rear engined car look like a front engined car? The Boxter does nothing for me. The SUV looks like a big money pit once the warranty is up. I had a guy try to trace electrical gremlins in my 928, I think it took three days to sort out.

Porsche Parking

Attachments

• bizarre013.jpg
    bizarre013.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 538
GT-3 On target NSX should take notes

http://www3.us.porsche.com/english/...gt3/default.htm
exterior_foto.jpg
fJustUnloadedMyGT-3.jpg
JustUnloadedMyGT-3.jpg
eJustUnloadedMyGT-3.jpg
dJustUnloadedMyGT-3.jpg
cJustUnloadedMyGT-3.jpg
bJustUnloadedMyGT-3.jpg
Just unloaded today!!!

Last edited:
Hey, I still have and love my 01' 996 Cab

But I love my NSX 99' T More! ( Maybe its infatuation, only time will tell). I wish the seats of the NSX hugged you like the 996 seats, but I love the NSX seat/steering wheel position. IMO the Turbos are not as Exotic as the NSX. But the Porsche Turbo is THE Car, hands down. Every sports car made ( Engineers) look to this car. The 996 is a better car than the 993. The "hips" in the 993 are coming back in the 997..but too much is being made about the air cooled 993's being the last true Porsche's.

I get out of the way of turbos and E55's:D

I consider myself to be a car fanatic so I like P-cars too. I had a '91 928GT, wish I kept it, the GT are hard to come by. When I sold it my 4 year old was in tears. When I got the NSX my boy had to fight off his sister to sit shot gun for the ride home. The 928 was more of a Grand Touring kinda car, totally different type of animal than my NSX. I love the pure sports car feel of the NSX.

Paul

If anybody wants to trade their 996TT for my NSX, send me an email. That is the one car that I would get rid of NSX for (of course I'd take a 360 Modena or the new baby Lambo)!!

'97 Black/Tan
'02 M5 Silver

topdaytrader said:
I own a 996tt. Quality and performance of NSX can't even come close to compare to Porsche.

2003050afull.gif
Do you always have to talk BS like this? I sold my 1992 NSX recently and was looking to buy a Porsche. I am a Porsche guy who regularly visits Europe and have visited the Porsche factory a few times. I have Porsche written all over my forehead. As much as I love Porsche, I have to give this quality thing to Honda. After checking out a bunch of Porsches, I found myself not satisfied with any of them. Do you know why mint Porsches are so hard to find? It is not that they get trashed or anything but they deteriorate themselves over the years. The NSXs by far have superior build quality. I am not in a financial position that I can just buy any exotics, but I can have a 996tt if I really want to. But guess what? In my book, speed is not everything but quality is. I could just sell both NSXs to jump back to Porsche. But no, quality stays.
Steve

Ya Mon! for Honda Quality

You cannot touch it. Porsche and Ferrari people switching to NSX's for the quality factor = good in my eyes. I have owned 3 previous Porsches and chose an NSX for this purchase. If I ever own another Porsche it will be a '73 or older 911. That M96 engine of late scares me!. I am still a staunch supporter of the Acura and Porsche (Hey The Racers Group I am talking to you! ) racing crowds.

911 GT3:eek:

that's the only porsche i would buy. However, IMHO, it looks kinda FUGLY.

Well i have a porsche and an nsx..i have 2001 996 ...and my 03 nsx and my nsxis alot more fun to drive i havent touched my 996 for 2weeks now..i think the nsx gets alot more attention and it is alot rare than a porsche ..maybe in the 90 porsche was rare but now in miami at least everyone drives a porsche..its crazy..i love that i havent seen 1 03 or 02 nsx ever down here..and when i go out a valet my car there 30 porsche and bmw and mercedes i am the only nsx ....:D...i am going to trade it in or sell the porsche..asap...i was not happy with it .

I've had 4 P-cars:

1985.5 944 -- Amazing balance. 143HP engine loved to be punished. Could drive the wheels off the thing on the track (NHIS) at 10/10ths with a shit-eating grin on my face and not worry about shunting it.

1986 944 Turbo (951) -- bought it with 156,000 miles on it and took it to the track the next week. Over the next 5 years, dumped over 30 grand into it to turn it into a track monster: 390 RWHP, 2800lbs, adjustable suspension, yada-yada-yada. Didn't pop its first head gasket until 186k miles.

1986 944 Turbo -- liked the last one so much I had to have another, but sold it to put a down payment on a house before having any fun with it.

1994 968 TipTronic -- thought I wouldn't mind the auto-box, and my wife would be able to drive it. What was I thinking???? Had it for only 4 months before I needed a return to two-feet driving.
Replaced it with, believe it or not, my current daily driver, a '94 Integra!

BTW (and up-front apologies to all you rear-engined-air-cooled-Porschephiles), don't let anyone tell you that a 911 is superior to a 944-variant. A well prepared and well driven 951 can run circles around 911's at the track. :) :D

Quality

Be careful about claims of quality. I have owned only one brand new Honda, it was a MY 2000 S2000. I currently have a 1997 NSX and a 2002 Porsche 996 turbo.

Problems with the Porsche (15k miles): none.

Problems with the NSX (32k miles) EPS failure, leaking cam seals.

Problems with the S2000 (sold at 33k miles): gas gauge failed twice, second time dealer claims it is supposed to be inaccurate and refuses to fix it, power window regulator failed 3 times, recall for seatbelts, clutch rattled and needed to be replaced, top mechanism wears a hole in the top, striker plate for the top wear and rattle, recall everywhere except North America for inadequate engine lubrication causing failures, axle nuts loosen spontaneously, multiple unexplained engine failures attributed to "abuse" or running out of oil including a member here.

These are just my personal experiences but I have lost a great deal of faith in Honda quality.

topdaytrader said:
What's the point to compare NSX to Porsche??? You guys think Porsche owners can't afford a NSX or something???
Excuse me. If you can read or think, perhaps you want to know that YOU are the one who made that comparing the NSX and Porsche statement. So what is YOUR POINT anyway since you asked? What about that statement of " Porsche owners can't afford a NSX or something?" Again, who else asked but yourself?
You obviously are someone that just wants to come to this list to insult the NSX. Almost all posters on this thread are/were Porsche owners if you don't notice. I suggest you to get some professional help if you are so tormented by your inferiority complex. I don't even believe you own a 996tt or an NSX. :rolleyes:
Steve

You know, your language stinks and sound very uneducated.

topdaytrader said:
Like I give a shit if you believe I drive a 996tt or not.
:rolleyes:
Of course you DO. Why else did you make such challenging statement of superior Porsche quality and have been so negative about the NSXs? People on this list have very high appreciations of the NSXs and are here to share their admirations. This is not to say the NSXs are without flaws. The NSXs certainly have their shortcomings and no one is trying to deny them. If you really feel so negative about the NSXs and have been, why are you on this list other than trying to make a few pennies selling your HID stuffs? You certainly will be in much better place at fbody, Viper, or whatever sour grapes list if you just want to trash the NSXs. Your behaviors certainly fit the small man syndrome, inferiority complex, low self-esteem, or what have you. This explain why you always have to PROVE to other people what you have or pretend to have are better than everyone else. And of course, taking so much time and effort to join the NSX Prime so that you pound your chest, trash talk, and pick fights "like you don't give a shit if people believe you drive a 996tt or not." BTW, do you alway have to provide a URL link to the 996tt picture on EVERY SINGLE POST if you indeed DON'T give a shit if we believe you drive a 996tt?:rolleyes:
Talk about quality. Looks like the stuffs that you sell are certainly not in Porsche quality, much less NSX quality.
Steve

porsche

nsx needs a new car to compete w german cars today. no comparison go drive an m3 which is ahlf the car the porsche is and ull throw ur nsx away.

83 911 sc (never a problem) Owned 5years
84 Carrera (Solid as hell)
73 911 e(Only owned it 6 months)
87 928 (Money Pit)
95 928gts (GT to the Nth degree, pure and simple)
3.8RSR clone( Solid, very fast, very dependable 97 based engine)

I like cars, there are only a few that I absolutely love. I can't afford any of those cars.
I like my NSX, It was an itch that I am scratching now. Maybe that's why it keeps giving me problems, albeit from aftermarket parts. They are not any more dependable than the earlier 911 series. They cost just as much to fix. They look good as hell, but if you constantly get mistaken for other marks what does that tell you? It's an itch that I really don't mind scratching. But it to will be in someone elses garage at a time TBD.
The Porsche I would take hands down over any car built period.
962CR ala V~schuppan, If you have to ask.
Len

Last edited:
Re: porsche

DOWNLOAD said:
nsx needs a new car to compete w german cars today. no comparison go drive an m3 which is ahlf the car the porsche is and ull throw ur nsx away.
Give me a break. First some Porsche wannabe cheap shot the NSX quality. Now we have you start this M3 blows your NSX away thing. I am also an ex-BMW owner. Last time I check, you were frantically looking to buy a NSX. If you really think these M3 are that much better than the NSXs, then you should just buy an M3. Case closed.
BTW, a colleague of mine bought a new M3 and immediately asked me to give him my opinion. He and I switched car for 30 minutes. He was not too happy afterwards.
To each his own. I like the 996tt too but for now I am enjoying my NSXs.
Steve

Back