• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

possible new NSX owner.....questions

Well first I have been on this forum for a while just never registered. I have wanted a NSX since I was 15 or so and now I can afford on. I am switching from a 350z possibly. I have been looking and maybe found one. I was curious what everyone thought of the price and was also curious if the ex-owner of this car is a member here. The car is a 1997 black on black targa. Wings west body kit, 22k miles, and polished wheels. The car is in amazing condition. It is at a small dealership that sells a few cars and does alot of aftermarket performance tuning. It is in ohio. The dealer won't go lower than 44.5k plus tax. Seems like top dollar to me.What does everyone think of the price and does anyone know the previous owner, they said he was local. thanks

Definitely not a bad deal, considering the mods, year and mileage. Go to autotrader and other sites and do a nationwide search on '97s. If the history is good then go for it.

I don't have a web link because it's not on the sight anymore. It was on ebay about two weeks ago but that's it. I need to make a decision tomorrow so any help would be appreciated. thanks

I'd go for it. 44k seems like a good deal to me, especially for a 97 with 22k miles. Buy it before someone else does :)

I think you should go for it especially if it has been fully maintanced. Try and ask if the waterpump/timing belt has been done. That is a big job and cost $$. Also remember to inquire about service reciepts for the fluids on the car. If they don't have them you should change all the fluids since it is 9yrs old and if it just sits it slimes up.

As for pricing it is pretty good for the milage if taken cared of. By driving it you can tell if the car has been tracked or babied.

Good luck and post some pics after the purchase :biggrin:

Last edited:
well I guess the service hasn't been done on the 97', so I think I will hold off. I was already on the fence about the price and it sounded like that was gonna be another $1500.00. So I will hold off. Maybe they will call me back.

xtter said:
I don't have a web link because it's not on the sight anymore. It was on ebay about two weeks ago but that's it.

I searched completed listings on eBay but it wasn't there. The search only gives you listings that have ended within the last 15 days.

$44.5K for such a low mileage car sounds like a bargain, even after taking the lack of timing belt replacement into account.

It's probably selling for such a low price because cars with body kits and polished wheels are not in as much demand and tend to be much more difficult to sell.

I thought I was going to pass on it even though I didn't want to. The seller called me back and seems to be a bit more aggressive on the pricing. I am going to go back to drive it this weekend. I will try to make a offer. He said that they had a acura dealer check out the timing belt and water pump and they said it didn't need it yet. Would I be taking a chance by not getting that done right away?

If it has not had the timing belt done, according to Acura's service schedule, it needs it. There is no way you can 'check out the belt' to determine if it needs changing unless you look at it under a microscope. I think the guy is yanking your chain about having had an Acura dealership 'look at it'. Doesn't mean it's a bad price, but you just need to consider whether or not you're going to choose to do the timing belt. Many of us have waited long after Acura's recommended schedule and have been fine (13 years on the original belt before I changed it), but recently there have been two incidents of belts breaking, but I think they were both original belts on 1991s. You might be fine with this belt for another couple of years, but do you want to take that chance?

Last edited:
robr said:
There is no way you can 'check out the belt' to determine if it needs changing unless you look at it under a microscope. I think the guy is yanking your chain about having had an Acura dealership 'look at it'.

I absolutly agree. Why don't you call the acura dealership that "checked it out" and ask to talk to the service manager.

I will be driving it on sunday so we will see what happens. I will hopefully post some good news on monday...

If you are that interested in the car, have it taken to an Acura dealer to have it inspected. They will do a thorough job, it will put your mind at ease about the deal, and it will set you back less than $100. That's a great deal assuming it checks out ok. Good Luck!

Back