• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PTuning to the Rescue!

About 9 years ago, I rescued my 1991 from a used car lot in Maryland. I'm sure the original owner loved the car (and paid dearly for it), but whomever owned it before me did not maintain the car much at all. So...during those 9 years I have spent more than I paid for the NSX in making it safer and better, replacing OEM parts when necessary, and upgrading them to better components when it made sense to do so.

About 2 years ago, I had a tuning company in Virginia install an AEM Series 1 EMS because the local Acura dealer couldn't track down the cause of an occasional rough idle (long, long story), and it was thought that this would solve the issue. It did result in increased rwhp in the mid-range, but the idle issue couldn't be completely tuned away. A couple of weeks ago (three weeks before my registration expired), I took my NSX to have its penultimate emissions test, and the results looked like an M1 tank had been hooked up to the sniffer. Some values were 400% over the acceptable limits. OMG.:eek:

So...PTuning had done superb install work on the car before, and I went to them for help. Every now and then you encounter someone who you know is the best at what they do. Bruce Meyers (the Doctor) was one such person who built out the engine on my Ducati 998R...he was the master Ducati tuner in the country. I met with Toan Nguyen, the person who would be tuning my NSX, doing the steady-state dyno runs, and taking care of business. After about a 5 minute conversation, I began to think that I had meet the tuning master for my NSX. My intuition was correct. Toan suggested a well thought out diagnostic plan to tune the car and get it to pass emissions. But the best laid plans often go awry. First, the AEM unit (not purchased from SoS!) repeatedly threw BSOD's on two different laptops. SoS provided an AEM Series 2 ASAP (thank you SoS!). Toan quickly diagnosed a bad injector (which probably had been bad for quite some time). New plugs and larger injectors (365cc) were ordered, a leak down test was performed just to be absolutely safe and sure (all OK), and the tuning + dyno runs began. PTuning called yesterday, stating that they needed to validate the tune by driving the NSX on the road, but my registration had expired. I went to DMV (another very long and typical DMV nightmare), got a 3 day "driving pass", picked up the NSX at PTuning, and took it to the emissions testing facility. En route, I knew immediately that for the first time since I had owned the car...9 years...it was finally tuned properly. Rock steady idle, no issues at all, great acceleration, etc. Now, if it could only pass emissions, I could return it back to PTuning and Toan could complete the final tuning. I waited anxiously in the lobby of the testing facility, fingers and toes crossed...and after what seemed like an eternity, the results were in...PASS! Wow...just wow.

I dropped the car back at PTuning, they will finish the tuning, and with luck I'll have my NSX back on Saturday, better than new.

So...if you live anywhere near Manassas, Virginia...and you want your NSX (or any other vehicle) taken care of with first class service...I absolutely recommend PTuning. I promise that you will not be disappointed. Thank you Toan and the rest of the PTuning staff. You guys rock!

Nice! I've been a fan of PTUNING for years. How much power did your car end up making with the AEM EMS if you don't mind me asking?

That's awesome, they have a big car show tomorrow at their shop. I'll be there with my NSX, along with a few S2K buddies.

I love not far from you. How do you like your stop tech bbk?

I live not far from you. How do you like your stop tech bbk?

The Stoptech's are superb, although they don't get any kind of workout on the street. Eventually I will be taking the NSX to Summit Point, which was my home track when I was road racing motorcycles. It will be interesting to compare the differences!

I have MotoGP (circa 2006) Brembo calipers on the Ducati 998R, and it will be interesting comparing the differences in braking between the Duc and the NSX. The Brembo monoblocs have hollow titanium, vented pistons, brake pads held in place by springs (pins are normally used), and are the best brakes I've ever used on anything... However, I'm sure the Stoptech's will be just fine, and I certainly won't be running the track at 100% for sure!

Last edited:
Back