• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ready to Buy but Need Test Drive

Hi forum members, I've been wanting a NSX since i was 22 (20 years later now I can afford one).

I have never had the opportunity to drive one so I was wondering if anybody in the NorCal area would be willing to let me drive their NSX so I can experience it before plunking down the cash.

Thanks!

I'm far from NorCal, however I can promise you they are a blast to drive. I purchased mine and flew 1600 miles without so much as ever sitting in one (which was of a concern for me being 6'4" tall and 280lbs), but with a Source1 "Too tall guy" seat cushion replacement I fit fine in it and the 1600 mile drive home was an awesome test drive. Hopefully though, someone will let you take a spin in theirs before you find one!

I would think that in the NorCal area you should be able to find a few at a dealership somewhere. On the east coast it is a bit trickier, but that is what I ended up doing. Hopped in a higher mileage early model and took it for a spin just to get a feel for the ergonomics, driving position and all those other hard to evaluate variables.

NorCal covers a large area. You may want to be more specific. Are you looking for someone in the San Jose area? San Francisco?, Pleasanton?, central valley?

NorCal covers a large area. You may want to be more specific. Are you looking for someone in the San Jose area? San Francisco?, Pleasanton?, central valley?

Sorry, you are right, it is quite large.

I am in the East Bay area near Walnut Creek.

Thanks.

Great idea guys. Dealers love people joy riding their cars who have no intentions of buying there. Might as well get it for the weekend while you're at it!

Great idea guys. Dealers love people joy riding their cars who have no intentions of buying there. Might as well get it for the weekend while you're at it!

OP said he wants to "plunk down the cash". Sounds like he can buy one. Why would he not want to buy from a dealer? Car dealership is in the business of selling cars. Part of the job is allowing customers to test drive.

Hell, I get bored and go test drive cars if I have downtime while I am out of town for work. I usually roll in, mention I've been thinking about trading in my NSX (I have zero intention, but it works every time) and they'll let you test drive whatever. It's a good way to pass a couple hours when you're bored out of your mind and waiting on a call to head out in the field so you can't really go do anything cool.

I think what most owners are trying to tell you is that you are more likely to find a dealer willing to let you test drive (After you show them proof of funds or serious enough) since most NSX owners I know will not let you drive their car. Just too much risk involved. Would you pay for damage if you scraped a rim or lip? I certainly would not want to be put in that position.

No offense but none of us know you and accidents can happen anytime so most of us would not let you drive our cars. Maybe take you for a spin that's ok but I'm just speaking what what most are thinking.

Random test drives are a part of car sales, you shouldn't feel bad for being a "tire kicker". For a performance car, you can't know if it will click until you get behind the wheel of a car.

I had a friend who had *zero* interest in a Porsche Cayman until I drove him to the dealership and got him behind the wheel of one. Now he is hooked and is scoping out options and models. Did he buy it that day? Of course not, he had to go home and do his homework on what he and his wife were comfortable spending. Does that make him a "tire kicker"? I don't think so, he is a potential future customer and that is how a GOOD salesman should view him.

If the OP goes to the dealership and drives whatever NSX is on the lot, there is an opportunity for the salesman to ask the OP exactly what they are looking for and possibly source it out for them. As we all know, dealers are much better at tracking down & buying cars that the general public is.

It should also be noted that a lot of us are car enthusiasts and talk cars. The only reason I steered my friend towards the Porsche Cayman is that I test drove one myself. While the car ended up being not 100% what I wanted, I was still educated about the car and because I talk cars (incessantly if you ask my wife!) to a lot of people, that is a lot of word of mouth advertising that gets around to a lot of other potential customers. So I would say that dealers get a decent deal out of letting me get behind the wheel of their car and that give me no remorse for taking up some of their time.

Last edited:
^ your points are well taken and I agree fully but this is a Cayman which works fine. My local P-car dealer begs me to drive all the cars on their lot since they know I have the ability to buy and a previous customer.

However this theory does not work for limited high end cars. Try that with a GTR sitting in the showroom or walk into Silicon Valley Motors and ask to drive the latest Lambo there. It just won't fly since the risk for damage is too high and even 10 miles could be too many miles for the next buyer. Most high end cars are bought sight un-seen since their reputation speaks for themselves. I have never driven a P1 but if I could afford it, I'm sure I can live with the driving experience :)

I NEVER even saw my NSX till the day I flew out to pick it up. I wired the funds 3 days in advance to a private seller prior to flying into town.

Now back to the NSX, although the NSX may not be considered a high end F-car or Lambo, if the dealer has one on their showroom, it will take a bit more of a nudge or convincing than just to say I want to test drive it. Most likely they will want some form of commitment unless you show up in your Rolls Royce.

I think you may be over valuing the NSX. I showed up at a small used car dealership in New Jersey with my boring little Ford Escape and asked about the 1991 NSX with 44k miles they had listed for $29k. They showed me the car, we talked for a bit and they handed me the keys. Simple as that.

I think you may be over valuing the NSX. I showed up at a small used car dealership in New Jersey with my boring little Ford Escape and asked about the 1991 NSX with 44k miles they had listed for $29k. They showed me the car, we talked for a bit and they handed me the keys. Simple as that.

Yes I agree with this statement. I can certainly understand that if your NSX is your prize possession you may not want to let anybody else drive it and that is your choice. But to make a general statement that nobody is going to let you drive their car is not true.

The NSX is a great car but it's not a Bugatti or Aventador. I've driven plenty of stick shifts with way more power than the NSX, so i'm not asking to go on a joyride either. In fact, if i wanted to buy a 458 tomorrow, I could easily do that. But I have always loved the look of NSX since I was a kid so to speak and I want to finally purchase one. And I would let my friends drive it to share the experience unless they don't know how to drive manual transmissions.

Regardless, i would probably still buy the NSX without test driving it as long a PPI is done. I thought just maybe a fellow NorCal enthusiast would be open to sharing the experience. But if not, its no big deal.

Cheers

You said it yourself, you would let your "friends" drive the car, no argument there.

My statement was merely in response to your question, if you can find a local member willing to let you drive the car all the better to have another NSX owner. Plenty of us have other exotics or rides so no need to say you can afford a 458, not a big deal here.

You said it yourself, you would let your "friends" drive the car, no argument there.

My statement was merely in response to your question, if you can find a local member willing to let you drive the car all the better to have another NSX owner. Plenty of us have other exotics or rides so no need to say you can afford a 458, not a big deal here.

Your original statement was more suggestive that I was looking for a joyride. I simply asked if anybody was willing to offer (as they have in other locations such as SoCal) and you made a generalization that nobody would take that risk. That is your opinion. And as for affording a 458, this is a forum and I can say whatever I like to illustrate my point, you don't need to tell me what I can say. No offense but you sound like you might have something stuck up your tailpipe.

Good idea but I hardly ever see one for sale at the dealer.

why does it has to be at dealer? http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/4379071612.html (locally in RWC)

people are rightly leery of some stranger asking to test drive their pride and joy. What if the car is damaged? or worse, if you hit and injure some third party whose father is a lawyer?
you come to a private seller, show them that you are serious and get test drive. I got two NSX test drives that way.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4390084081.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4380909582.html

why does it has to be at dealer? http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/4379071612.html (locally in RWC)

people are rightly leery of some stranger asking to test drive their pride and joy. What if the car is damaged? or worse, if you hit and injure some third party whose father is a lawyer?
you come to a private seller, show them that you are serious and get test drive. I got two NSX test drives that way.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4390084081.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4380909582.html

That's a great suggestion, I didn't think of that.

Back