• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Red Valve Covers and S2000 Start Button

Lately I have had my hands pretty full (see the first picture below) but was able to find time to work on the car last week. I finally got around to installing red valve covers and a start button. These mods might not be for everyone but I thought I would share.

I had my valve covers powder coated by a local shop and they turned out great! The shop used DuPont, Red Wrinkle powder (PC# GFR-600-W2) as show on their website www.dupontpowder.com I can tell you that most shops will not touch NSX valve covers b/c they are magnesium. Magnesium is softer and has a lower melting point which makes it hard to get a good finish. It’s just as easy to apply the powder to the magnesium covers as it is to any other material but the tricky part is when baking the covers. The magnesium covers have a tendency to “gas out” when baking. For lack of a better word, “gas out” is basically the magnesium releasing tinny air bubbles during the baking process. During the baking process the powder (now covering the magnesium) reaches a point where it has hardened and begins to trap air that the magnesium still wants to release. The end result can be tinny little depressions, pits, or air pockets in the finished product. It took two tries, but the shop finally got it right.

Since I was installing new valve covers I figured I might as well adjust the valves while I was at it. I found step-by-step instructions on how to adjust the valves thanks to DanO. http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/ DanO’s website provided perfect instructions along with pictures, THANKS DanO!!! Larry B was also a BIG help as always. Larry helped build my confidence and answered my phone calls on a Saturday when I had questions during the valve adjustment.

I also decided to install a Honda S2000 Start Button in place of the cigarette lighter. I did not want to loose my only cigarette lighter so I went ahead and installed dual cigarette lighters…you know in case both my passenger and I want to light up at the same time…kidding, I don’t smoke! In the past there have been several weekend drives when I was short a cigarette lighter after the cell phone battery died. I really had no idea how to install the start button so I started hanging out in the Stereo/Electronic section of Prime. I quickly realized how much help Ken (D’Ecosse) had to offer to other NSX owners. Ken and I exchanged a few emails and before I knew it he had sent me a complete wiring diagram for my start button including wire size, type of connectors, relays, etc. Ken, thanks so much for your help!

Now for the pictures…

First picture…Momma, Poppa, and Caleb spending quality time together!
4884Caleb_003-med.jpg

Valve covers removed and adjusting valves…
4884Caleb_012-med.jpg

First valve cover installed, Caleb is speechless!
4884Caleb_021-med.jpg

Close up of red manifold cover…
4884Motor_007-med.jpg

Picture taken under florescent lights of red valve covers looking through mesh engine cover, notice the awesome finish on that mesh engine cover?
4884Motor_025-med.jpg

Picture taken under florescent lights of red valve covers looking through mesh engine cover and glass hatch…
4884Motor_070-med.jpg

Picture taken outside with natural light…
4884Post1_007-med.jpg

Another picture taken outside with natural light…
4884Post1_011-med.jpg

Modifying the cigarette lighter so the start button will fit (picture of the back side).
4884DSCF0034_0009.jpg

Modifying the cigarette lighter so the start button will fit (picture of the font side). In this picture you can see that I used balsa wood to cover the ash tray area and later drilled two holes in it that house the new cigarette lighters.
4884DSCF0035_0010.jpg

I then used a thin piece of plexiglas (sp?) to cover the balsa wood. Next I covered the entire balsa wood and Plexiglas in a vinyl sticker which has a fake carbon fiber look to it. This picture is looking at the back side.
4884DSCF0038_0013.jpg

This picture is the same as above but looking at the front side (face) before I cut the holes for the cigarette lighter to be installed.
4884DSCF0043_0014.jpg

Cigarette lighters installed.
4884DSCF0044_0015.jpg

Transferring the stock harness clip to the dual cigarette lighters.
4884DSCF0045_0016.jpg

4884DSCF0046_0017.jpg

The following are pictures of the finished product taken in my garage under florescent light with the last picture taken outside under natural light.
4884Motor_020-med.jpg

4884Motor_022-med.jpg

4884Post1_001-med.jpg

Last edited:
I really like you cigarette lighter conversion. So how do you start the car? Turn the key then push the start button?

can you make me the push button start/ashtray setup? :biggrin:

VERY NICE AND CLEAN!!! :biggrin: I would be interested in a kit as well if you decide to make them.

Awesome job on both DIY especially the red valve covers

That is awesome, and you've done and outstand job by the looks of it. One less 'cool' feature the S2000 boyz have over the NSX.

hehehe... i can see Nico doing this mod. ;)

This would be great as a somewhat hidden start switch too! Count me amoung the interested if you make a kit - or at a min - please post your working notes and rough costs.

typerturbo said:
Please post the parts (relays, etc.) and wire diagram if possible on the S2000 start button install.
4884wire_diag.JPG

Installation

Notes:
Use 12-ga wire for all connections
Solder each of the wire connections to the Starter Switch
Use Quick Disconnect Spade terminals to connect to the relay
Use Crimp Tool to crimp the terminal connectors
Use tap-splices to connect the wires onto the Ignition & Starter wires (you won’t need to cut them)
Procure Automotive style relay

• Identify the Black/White (Starter) & Black/Yellow (Ignition) wires coming from the ignition switch.
  • Connect a wire between the Black/White <span class=GramE>wire</span> onto pin 87 of the relay base.
  • Connect a wire between the Black/Yellow wire onto pin 30 of the relay base & also to pin 2 of the starter switch
  • Connect a wire between pin 86 of the relay base to pin 1 of the starter switch
  • Connect a wire from a ground point to pin 3 of the starter switch and to pin 85 of the relay base.

Test
Turn ignition switch to “Ignition” position, depress clutch and press “Red Button”

Additional Notes
The above was provided to me by Ken (D’Ecosse here on Prime). I would like to add the following for clarification. If you have about the same level of experience reading wiring diagrams as I do, you will notice once you get under your dash coming out of the starter switch there is a black wire with a yellow stripe and a yellow wire with a black stripe. Ken later told me that “Black/Yellow” means “black wire with yellow stripe”, same applies for “Black/White” wire.

You will also need to review this site http://www.miata.net/garage/pushstart/ to figure out which is “pin 1, pin 2…” on the start button itself. I had several additional pictures which my wife accidentally deleted from the camera to make more room for baby pictures. The pictures in my first post are all I have left.

Paul

SoCalDude said:
So how do you start the car?
The start button is wired as follows: Turn the key one click to ACC 1 and only the radio, clock, etc. works similar to any stock NSX. Turn the key one more click to ACC2 position, all the dash lights come on, and the car is ready to start by simply pressing the start button. I did not want to have to explain to dealer how to start my car every time I drop it off so what I did was NOT cut the Black/White start wire after I spliced into it. Basically that means I can still continue to turn the key past the ACC2 position and to the “start” position and the car will fire up, similar to any stock NSX. Therefore, when I drop it off at the dealer I simply close the ashtray compartment and no one will know that the car has a start button. The car will start “normal” with the key. I could have very easily snipped the Black/White wire between where you insert the key and where I made the splice and the key would no longer start the car when turned to the “start” position. With the Black/White wire cut it would only start with the start button once the key was turned to the ACC2 position.

Paul

Paul said:
The start button is wired as follows: Turn the key one click to ACC 1 and only the radio, clock, etc. works similar to any stock NSX. Turn the key one more click to ACC2 position, all the dash lights come on, and the car is ready to start by simply pressing the start button. I did not want to have to explain to dealer how to start my car every time I drop it off so what I did was NOT cut the Black/White start wire after I spliced into it. Basically that means I can still continue to turn the key past the ACC2 position and to the “start” position and the car will fire up, similar to any stock NSX. Therefore, when I drop it off at the dealer I simply close the ashtray compartment and no one will know that the car has a start button. The car will start “normal” with the key. I could have very easily snipped the Black/White wire between where you insert the key and where I made the splice and the key would no longer start the car when turned to the “start” position. With the Black/White wire cut it would only start with the start button once the key was turned to the ACC2 position.

Paul

Thanks for the diagram and instructions. This is one of the coolest hidden mods yet! I can't wait to do the install! :biggrin:

Here's an added mod for the more adventurous of you:

With an additional relay you can eliminate having to depress your clutch to enable your starter when using the "big red button"; your car will still be protected by the neutral switch, so if your car is in gear, the clutch switch will not be shorted & your starter will not engage. When using the key-start, the pedal will still require to be depressed

Connect the Power coil connection of the relay (86) to the "start" O/P (pin 1)from the "big red button (or to the initial relay pin 86) and then run a wire for the ground enable side of the coil (85) from your neutral switch input at your OEM ECU- this wire will tap onto the Lt. Green wire that goes to pin B7 at the ECU (this is where the neutral switch terminates).
For details of where to hook into your neutral switch (at the ECU) check my previous post on how to wire up an alarm remote start for pictures & diagram of the ECU connection.
Now, connect the Common & N/O contacts (30 & 87) across the clutch pedal switch by tapping onto the Black/Green & Black/Yellow wires. You can find that switch directly on the top of the pedal mechanism - just be sure you get the right pedal & the right switch - identify it by the colour wires. Again, just use tap splices to tap onto the wires at the clutch switch & also the ECU.

Here's the schematic for adding this feature.

5957starter2-med.JPG

Paul, did you have to modify the cigerette lighter hole at all or did the button fit in the hole as is?

Just in case you have to reverse the modification I woul dlike to know id the plastic around the lighter was cut at all.

THX

Paul,

I want to see your Technical Guru's qualifications!

Sure the install looks fantastic and is a true stroke of genious!...

BUT... he looks a little young to me! :biggrin:

Hey Paul great job on both projects, i am about to do the same for all 3 of my valve covers. couple questions ....

1. on the underside of the valve cover there is a metal plate with small 8mm bolts attaching it to the case. Did you remove that first? due to the high temps they use for baking?

2. How much did your powder coater cost?

3. If they are reasonable, Are they willing to do another set the same color if I paid for all shipping costs?

Thanks
Kevin

graemeg said:
Paul, did you have to modify the cigerette lighter hole at all or did the button fit in the hole as is?

Just in case you have to reverse the modification I woul dlike to know id the plastic around the lighter was cut at all.

THX
Yes I had to cut the plastic and modify the metal cigarette lighter ring so it would fit around the start button.

Back