• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Resale on NSX

I still follow the used NSX market very actively, even though I now am in the "club" of owners....

That red one in Vegas appears to be the real deal....I am sure I would have taken a run at it had it been for sale in April.

My advice would not be to simply watch the bidding on ebay, but give yourself a price limit for that car...get financing or whatever in order, and make a trip to Vegas....talk to the sales manager face to face, and give a deposit to allow a PPI. Maybe even get an experienced NSX owner in the area to give it a look with you....they know WHERE to look for signs of trouble , if any. And, how it SHOULD drive.

Assuming ok, offer them your max price....I am guessing with "cash" in hand, they will take it....my personal opinion, I would pay as much as $44,000 for this car assuming all else ok.....that is just based on what I have seen and what they are selling for these days. You will still have costs as soon as you get it home....I bought a 2000, with TB/WP done, and all other maintenance, but there are still all the little extras that tug at you to get done....(really, lots of things that are upgrades...just look at the SOS catalogue and you start wanting it all!) If they don't take $44K, then they are planning on hanging on to it for a while, but at least you didn't leave anything on the table. I gotta tell you, that as much as I love my Silver NSX, I still have a deep rooted passion for that red on tan...kind of a Ferrari look to it. As I said, I would be all over it if I was looking....

In my case, a lower mileage car was a priority, because up here in Canada, even driving it alot, I will only do maybe 2000 miles a spring-summer-fall....so in 5 years, thats 10,000 miles....so starting low, and in the future being low, should help preserve value a bit...(although I did not buy it for that)

Anyway, good luck...I can totally relate with what you are going through.....I looked for quite some time, and missed out on a few good ones...I was tired of missing out, so when a good one came along, quickly got it checked out, and pulled the trigger. Did not dicker with the guy.....why....A grand or two for the potential of him walking on me....if its the car you want, and it checks out fine, so long as price is reasonable, jump in.....you'll only regret if you don't....

I now look for every opportunity to drive my NSX....good hunting!

These cars do sell for their asking price.

I bought mine and offered his asking price, I didn't even bother haggling with him.

29k for a 96.

These cars do sell for their asking price.

I bought mine and offered his asking price, I didn't even bother haggling with him.

29k for a 96.

That's not fair man - you gotta steal - you won't see that ever for a 96 with low miles - period! Your example doesn't count in this argument - what was the mileage anyway - that means nothing without that qualifier. You got extremely lucky dude. So quit rubbing it in....:cool:

That's not fair man - you gotta steal - you won't see that ever for a 96 with low miles - period! Your example doesn't count in this argument - what was the mileage anyway - that means nothing without that qualifier. You got extremely lucky dude. So quit rubbing it in....:cool:

Oh, it has high miles but was well taken care of. 148k.

Even though there is alot of stuff done to it, I still don't know if I got a good deal or not. It was more of a impulse buy than anything :)

Last edited:
Don't mean to argue here but what "they" as in we say is budget for maintenance items that haven't been performed. Obviously the more miles a car has despite its age it will have more maintenance to do. But we're not talking about components like the transmission or engine wearing out and yes they may need an O2 sensor or some minor nick nack due to age but it's not like they'll need a top end valve job when they hit 125k. It's not like they're gonna need a bottom end replacement or engine build at 200k - they won't unless they were owned by a track junkie.

And yes these cars if properlymaintained, and I mean just the regular items like timing belt, water pumps, hoses, fluids, clutches, slave and master cylinders, valve adjustments at the rediculously high mileage mark of something like 40k miles something crazy like that, AC is touchy, stereos need some transistor work sometime - minor stuff, but the major stuff is damn sure bullet proof. You will get a resounding "amen" from everyone here on that note. Check it out - how many timing belts have broken - only in rare instances and only a very few like on one hand instances or 2 fingers, how many top end or engine rebuilds on these cars or tranny rebuilds - almost none unless someone was moding and going for big bore kits or something like that - racing stuff.

You will see if you hang out here long enough - you will see. We ain't blowin smoke man - we are all here for many reasons but one of em is the fact that these cars are really bullet proof. This is not a Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, or Ferrari - this is a honda - no comparo on the bullet proofness of these cars vs the others. That's true of all Japanese cars - I mean where have you been - what have you been driving? That's why in general Japanese cars sell so well - you don't have to fix em. I mean I'm still on my original pads and rotors and I've got almost 48k and they look new - well the rotors do - hell I don't know when they'll need replacement. The clutch can go 100k miles if you know how to drive. You have to adopt a typical - well almost typical - attitude about the NSX in that it's really just like any other lower performance Japanese car. It is more expensive to buy parts and do labor but not much more than an RL.

In other words "it ain't like any other sports car out there". Hell even the GT-R has big issues with the tranny cause of the awesome power. But the NSX is "other worldly".

Let's be realistic here...no car is bullet proof especially one that is 15 - 20 years old, and has 70K miles. This is what is meant by cringe. I do respect Honda's reliability, but there are issues that creep up when buying such a car regardless of the manufacturer and yes some more than others. I can tell you that I've seen hundreds of BMWs with high mileage, and that goes for Ford, Chevy and Dodge as well. I owned a 2000 Dodge Viper for 4 years, autocrossed it frequently and NEVER had a single problem in that time and I drove the car. So when you say ALL, I must question that. I don't think I need to explain that. You are missing the point...components wear and eventually fail over time...To imply the NSX is immune from potential wear and tear is silly...Unless, your the original owner, nobody will know just how prone to repair costs a car that's 15 - 20 years old with 70K+ miles is going to be. That's why people recommend budgeting for potential repair costs on top of the cost of the car, when buying a higher mileage/older car...

Oh, it has high miles but was well taken care of. 148k.

Even though there is alot of stuff done to it, I still don't know if I got a good deal or not. It was more of a impulse buy than anything :)

You did fine EAC! :smile:

ALL American cars break down and are worth Piss compared.

You statement is not entirely true.:smile:
I have bought lots of cars being a dealer. Lots from manheim and adessa auctions. There used to be a saying at the auction, all bads cars go to the auction, but not all cars at the auction are bad.
I have had many American made car that have run just as strong was imports, they were cheaper to insure and maintain. Many of the cars purchased through dealer auctions have no service records and i have had some good and bad. ANY car maintained properly should give you reliable service. I had many American made cars with high miles that ran well. i have had more than a few acura legends that were problematic and expensive to fix. American made cars are made no different than foreign counterparts, they have different parts and line speeds. Their reliability all depends on the required and scheduled maintenance, which most automobile owners ignore.

Don't mean to argue here but what "they" as in we say is budget for maintenance items that haven't been performed. Obviously the more miles a car has despite its age it will have more maintenance to do. But we're not talking about components like the transmission or engine wearing out and yes they may need an O2 sensor or some minor nick nack due to age but it's not like they'll need a top end valve job when they hit 125k. It's not like they're gonna need a bottom end replacement or engine build at 200k - they won't unless they were owned by a track junkie.

And yes these cars if properlymaintained, and I mean just the regular items like timing belt, water pumps, hoses, fluids, clutches, slave and master cylinders, valve adjustments at the rediculously high mileage mark of something like 40k miles something crazy like that, AC is touchy, stereos need some transistor work sometime - minor stuff, but the major stuff is damn sure bullet proof. You will get a resounding "amen" from everyone here on that note. Check it out - how many timing belts have broken - only in rare instances and only a very few like on one hand instances or 2 fingers, how many top end or engine rebuilds on these cars or tranny rebuilds - almost none unless someone was moding and going for big bore kits or something like that - racing stuff.

You will see if you hang out here long enough - you will see. We ain't blowin smoke man - we are all here for many reasons but one of em is the fact that these cars are really bullet proof. This is not a Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, or Ferrari - this is a honda - no comparo on the bullet proofness of these cars vs the others. That's true of all Japanese cars - I mean where have you been - what have you been driving? That's why in general Japanese cars sell so well - you don't have to fix em. I mean I'm still on my original pads and rotors and I've got almost 48k and they look new - well the rotors do - hell I don't know when they'll need replacement. The clutch can go 100k miles if you know how to drive. You have to adopt a typical - well almost typical - attitude about the NSX in that it's really just like any other lower performance Japanese car. It is more expensive to buy parts and do labor but not much more than an RL.

In other words "it ain't like any other sports car out there". Hell even the GT-R has big issues with the tranny cause of the awesome power. But the NSX is "other worldly".

There are plenty of parts that could go bad outside of the one's you mention regardless of make. This is contingent on how the previous owner(s) cared for that particular car, that's really numero uno in determining a successful life of the car. Yes, Honda makes quality parts, but Honda's do break down maybe not as frequently, who knows. Just like Fords, and Chevys can go 200,000 miles. It's all dependent on how one cares for the car. You missed this point in my post, which is really what I was trying to say. Now, when buying a beautiful sporty, fun car like an NSX, there's no doubt that there's an element of abuse to be considered and that's true with any sports car purchase. On top of that, some people may have the initial bucks to buy such a car, but when it comes to maintenance, it's not a priority if "it's running"...So, here are two variables which are very hard to detect when buying a 15+ year old car with 70K miles, and on top of that multiple owners. Therefore, Acura or Ford, the element of uncertainty is always going to be (at least it should be) at the forefront when making this type of purchase. Besides, we've all acknowledged the typical NSX problems, such as Timing Belt, Water Pump and yes these issues would come with most cars with high mileage, but I've owned all types of cars with high mileage and although there were issues here and there, I never had to do a valve job, AC (Climate Replacement), and radio transistor problems, which seem to be a common topic with these cars...As I mentioned before, I owned a 2000 Dodge Viper for 4 years (I recently had to part with it), autocrossed it for 2 seasons, drove it frequently and never had a single problem in that time. Sold it with 33K miles, and never had to replace a water pump (the car is 10 years old). Many NSX owners suggest replacing the water pump after so many years, even if the mileage is low. I also currently own a 1999 Miata (purchased in 2007, from a woman in her late 30s). I was the second owner and bought it at 69K miles. I have been autocrossing the miata in C- Stock for the past 3 years. At 73K miles (last Summer) the oil pump went kaput on the way home from a short outing and the engine went clunk, clunk, bye, bye. If you know anything about miatas, many argue they are "bullet proof", and it's really hard to kill them, they just go and go and go...like the energizer bunny... well who knew...and just to note since owning the car it was always serviced and maintained. To each his own. So in conclusion nothing is bullet proof. :biggrin:

Your Miata was autocrossed for 2 years - ummmm anyone ever say that's not hard on a car? No wonder you had issues at high miles and if you are going to do the same thing with an NSX - I'd say you better buy a low mile and as new as you can afford. Simple as that - hence my remark about track junkies. But check with Docjohn - he's a trackie and he's got an old one. I think a pm to him on your part might be a good thing. Your use of the car isn't unlike many here. But more don't autocross or track. Obviously you'd want a car with as few owners as possible or at least where one owner had it for a major part of its life.

We're just going round and round - you had a 10 year old viper with 33k miles - well no wonder you didn't need a water pump. The only reason they are replaced with the TB on an NSx is cause there in the same place and it's easy. If you put a lot of miles on a car - no need to do that everytime you do a TB.

It depends on your use - but these cars are as bullet proof as they come and you have no argument against that cause the facts on prime to support that statement by owners far outweighs any perspective by a relative newbie to the car. No offense but you just haven't been watching these cars long enough. I can't believe no one else hasn't made the same statement. Guess I'm the only one talking up the long life virtues of the NSX on this thread. But you have your own opinion and it's just relatively uneducated on the NSX. You just need to do some more digging and reading on Prime.

I'm not going to try and talk you into anything - you either like em and want one or you don't. There are all kinds of reasons for an NSX over other sports cars - you have to convince your own self. All the best.

There are plenty of parts that could go bad outside of the one's you mention regardless of make. This is contingent on how the previous owner(s) cared for that particular car, that's really numero uno in determining a successful life of the car. Yes, Honda makes quality parts, but Honda's do break down maybe not as frequently, who knows. Just like Fords, and Chevys can go 200,000 miles. It's all dependent on how one cares for the car. You missed this point in my post, which is really what I was trying to say. Now, when buying a beautiful sporty, fun car like an NSX, there's no doubt that there's an element of abuse to be considered and that's true with any sports car purchase. On top of that, some people may have the initial bucks to buy such a car, but when it comes to maintenance, it's not a priority if "it's running"...So, here are two variables which are very hard to detect when buying a 15+ year old car with 70K miles, and on top of that multiple owners. Therefore, Acura or Ford, the element of uncertainty is always going to be (at least it should be) at the forefront when making this type of purchase. Besides, we've all acknowledged the typical NSX problems, such as Timing Belt, Water Pump and yes these issues would come with most cars with high mileage, but I've owned all types of cars with high mileage and although there were issues here and there, I never had to do a valve job, AC (Climate Replacement), and radio transistor problems, which seem to be a common topic with these cars...As I mentioned before, I owned a 2000 Dodge Viper for 4 years (I recently had to part with it), autocrossed it for 2 seasons, drove it frequently and never had a single problem in that time. Sold it with 33K miles, and never had to replace a water pump (the car is 10 years old). Many NSX owners suggest replacing the water pump after so many years, even if the mileage is low. I also currently own a 1999 Miata (purchased in 2007, from a woman in her late 30s). I was the second owner and bought it at 69K miles. I have been autocrossing the miata in C- Stock for the past 3 years. At 73K miles (last Summer) the oil pump went kaput on the way home from a short outing and the engine went clunk, clunk, bye, bye. If you know anything about miatas, many argue they are "bullet proof", and it's really hard to kill them, they just go and go and go...like the energizer bunny... well who knew...and just to note since owning the car it was always serviced and maintained. To each his own. So in conclusion nothing is bullet proof. :biggrin:

Interesting thread, but it's a simple topic that's being complicated by our admiration of NSXs.

Anything will sell for it's market value at that time. Right now if NSXs are selling at a market value that's higher than you're willing to pay, you need to pay more to get one in the condition, mileage, colour & year you want.

If market for your desired NSX is $27-$35k, and you only want to pay $24k, you might get lucky, but I really doubt it.

I paid $3k more for mine than I originally wanted to, so I could get exactly what I wanted. I recommend you stretch your budget a bit and buy your dream.

If you want an NSX, do your due diligence and buy the best example you can possibly afford. I paid $38,500 for my '97 T with 39K miles almost 2 years ago and haven't regretted it for one second, particularly after Barney Demonbreun gave it the once over and said, "Hell, this one is sweet. It doesn't need a damn thing except to be driven."

As a recently departed dear friend of mine used to say, "Buy the best and cry once." Lotta truth in that statement. If you can't afford it, then don't. I've owned nothing but Hondas and Acuras since 1986 and have found that the NSX cost of ownership is really not that much more than say, a '91-95 Legend. As long as the regular routine & preventative maintenance is done and you don't beat the living shit out of the car, an NSX is no different than any other Honda, bottom line.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
But check with Docjohn - he's a trackie and he's got an old one. I think a pm to him on your part might be a good thing
[QUOTE

Not to get too self asorbed but over the 14 years I have owned my car I have been lucky and blessed to have an open checkbook with the car.If you are going to do alot of track events things wear faster and break..I don't have a precise number on total $ spent but if you spread it out over the 14 years including consumables and 3 engines its about 7k/year.Now someone like Ken Sax has logged more track miles and only had one engine croak,and I would assume he has spent less.

Last edited:
But check with Docjohn - he's a trackie and he's got an old one. I think a pm to him on your part might be a good thing
[QUOTE

Not to get too self asorbed but over the 14 years I have owned my car I have been lucky and blessed to have an open checkbook with the car.If you are going to do alot of track events things wear faster and break..I don't have a precise number on total $ spent but if you spread it out over the 14 years including consumables and 3 engines its about 7k/year.Now someone like Ken Sax has logged more track miles and only had one engine croak,and I would assume he has spent less.

All track guys know that when you start dedicating a lot of time to the track or autocrossing - your engine and other operable parts are no longer measured in miles but in HOURS OF USE! Right doc. That's why you see ads for race cars talking about the hours the engine has seen. The mix of street and track use mediates this some - how much well you need someone with more track and street use experience than me to lay that out.

Any other helpful hints Doc?

Man, I learn something new about you all the time. You have an interesting history to be a man of so few words. :wink:

Your Miata was autocrossed for 2 years - ummmm anyone ever say that's not hard on a car? No wonder you had issues at high miles and if you are going to do the same thing with an NSX - I'd say you better buy a low mile and as new as you can afford. Simple as that - hence my remark about track junkies. But check with Docjohn - he's a trackie and he's got an old one. I think a pm to him on your part might be a good thing. Your use of the car isn't unlike many here. But more don't autocross or track. Obviously you'd want a car with as few owners as possible or at least where one owner had it for a major part of its life.

We're just going round and round - you had a 10 year old viper with 33k miles - well no wonder you didn't need a water pump. The only reason they are replaced with the TB on an NSx is cause there in the same place and it's easy. If you put a lot of miles on a car - no need to do that everytime you do a TB.

It depends on your use - but these cars are as bullet proof as they come and you have no argument against that cause the facts on prime to support that statement by owners far outweighs any perspective by a relative newbie to the car. No offense but you just haven't been watching these cars long enough. I can't believe no one else hasn't made the same statement. Guess I'm the only one talking up the long life virtues of the NSX on this thread. But you have your own opinion and it's just relatively uneducated on the NSX. You just need to do some more digging and reading on Prime.

I'm not going to try and talk you into anything - you either like em and want one or you don't. There are all kinds of reasons for an NSX over other sports cars - you have to convince your own self. All the best.

I came on here for advice, and I've gotten some really informative responses by many helpful members...but come on buddy your undertones are really unnecessary and insulting. And BTW, have you ever been to an autocross...? there are hundreds of miatas older than mine with double the mileage doing autocrossing. The pump blew at 70K miles, which is nothing for a miata. 40 sec runs (x8 runs) in 2nd gear in a parking lot doing 40 - 50MPH will not cause a miata motor to blow up.

I came on here for advice, and I've gotten some really informative responses by many helpful members...but come on buddy your undertones are really unnecessary and insulting. And BTW, have you ever been to an autocross...? there are hundreds of miatas older than mine with double the mileage doing autocrossing. The pump blew at 70K miles, which is nothing for a miata. 40 sec runs (x8 runs) in 2nd gear in a parking lot doing 40 - 50MPH will not cause a miata motor to blow up.

Insulting??? As in how? I've given you very good advice about a car that is not your usual sports car - you can't except that it sounds like to me. You want to tell us owners how no car is bullet proof. Is that insulting - no - I'm not taking any offense at your comments either - you come on Prime telling us our cars and that no cars are bullet proof and then you want to tell me that autocrossing isn't hard on a car? Man I don't get that. I've surely been to autocrosses and that kind of driving is hard on everything on the car - the clutch, the tires, the engine - it sure as heck ain't like driving on the street. Track use is hard on a car -any arguments there?

The only undertones you hear are that I don't particularly think you've read enough about the NSX to be so adament about the "fix it list" or it longevity issues or how "bullet proof" it is. I stand by that - no offense meant it's just the way I read this.

I'm just saying I cannot convince you of anything related to the NSX - I have extolled the virtues as I see them and you take exception to that - fine. I really am here to build up the car because it is a great car - you don't see it that way - sorry. I've been friendly and written plenty; taken lots of time to explain that position to you - you want to pick at me - I'm not takin the bait. There are all kinds of posts on here - none of them have given you as much about the car as mine have - their perspectives are about price and what you can expect and how you might need to increase your dollar limits. That's good info and true - you want to know something about how they run - historical data - how long they run well as opposed to other cars - well I've tried to make that point. That's all.

Do not mean to belittle you or trouble you with my responses but what do you have to base your position on about bullet proof or not about the NSX - based on other cars? Other than the viper what other experiences have you to base your position on - wait - I'm taking the bait. Forget it - I really don't care - like I say I'm not here to convince you if what I"ve said hasn't done that - you have to do that for yourself by reading more about these cars and basically it comes down to price to purchase - lots of ways to look at that. You have to satisfy your own issues there - we've surely given you enough to do that. Drive some - you'll either want one or not. It's really pretty simple but the NSX is not a simple car - it is an icon of Japanese machinery unlike any other.

Good luck in your search and comparisons. All the best!

Insulting??? As in how? I've given you very good advice about a car that is not your usual sports car - you can't except that it sounds like to me. You want to tell us owners how no car is bullet proof. Is that insulting - no - I'm not taking any offense at your comments either - you come on Prime telling us our cars and that no cars are bullet proof and then you want to tell me that autocrossing isn't hard on a car? Man I don't get that. I've surely been to autocrosses and that kind of driving is hard on everything on the car - the clutch, the tires, the engine - it sure as heck ain't like driving on the street. Track use is hard on a car -any arguments there?

The only undertones you hear are that I don't particularly think you've read enough about the NSX to be so adament about the "fix it list" or it longevity issues or how "bullet proof" it is. I stand by that - no offense meant it's just the way I read this.

I'm just saying I cannot convince you of anything related to the NSX - I have extolled the virtues as I see them and you take exception to that - fine. I really am here to build up the car because it is a great car - you don't see it that way - sorry. I've been friendly and written plenty; taken lots of time to explain that position to you - you want to pick at me - I'm not takin the bait. There are all kinds of posts on here - none of them have given you as much about the car as mine have - their perspectives are about price and what you can expect and how you might need to increase your dollar limits. That's good info and true - you want to know something about how they run - historical data - how long they run well as opposed to other cars - well I've tried to make that point. That's all.

Do not mean to belittle you or trouble you with my responses but what do you have to base your position on about bullet proof or not about the NSX - based on other cars? Other than the viper what other experiences have you to base your position on - wait - I'm taking the bait. Forget it - I really don't care - like I say I'm not here to convince you if what I"ve said hasn't done that - you have to do that for yourself by reading more about these cars and basically it comes down to price to purchase - lots of ways to look at that. You have to satisfy your own issues there - we've surely given you enough to do that. Drive some - you'll either want one or not. It's really pretty simple but the NSX is not a simple car - it is an icon of Japanese machinery unlike any other.

Good luck in your search and comparisons. All the best!

WOW...great first time experience on this forum (although most responses were positive and good intentioned)...and all I said initially was that I cringe at buying a 15+ year old car with 70K+ miles. Didn't know the NSX was immune to all common car troubles that come with age and usage as you suggest. I guess now I know the truth, I assume you are speaking on behalf of every NSX owner ever and have every documented problem of every 15 - 20 year old NSX out there. Of course not...you are talking based on what you've experience with your own and the couple others you know on the forum. This is not to say that others have had the same issues as I'm sure they are out there. Not everyone who owns an NSX subscribes to this forum believe it or not. It's one thing to say the car is reliable (I agree with this), it's another thing to claim all NSXs are bullet proof even the ones that have been around for nearly 20 years and are approaching 100,000 miles... I don't need to research a forum to convince me otherwise. It's called common sense... that is the older a car gets the higher the mileage, the more prone to breakdown...older cars with high mileage should present caution to the buyer especially ones that are nearing 20 years, that doesn't mean I won't buy such a car, but there's an element of risk (i.e. caution, i.e cringe) and this is why you call me uneducated...then so be it.

Ben, have you actually decided on a model year you feel best fits your needs and price range? This thread has provided a wealth of various information. I got what I want but if I was in the market for a car, I'd be all over this one:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141578

I'm one of those lads who would pay a little more for the best. Now I'm not going to comment on his "OBO" price, but my gut tells me this one will get tons of interest and may sell quickly, time will tell.

Ben, have you actually decided on a model year you feel best fits your needs and price range? This thread has provided a wealth of various information. I got what I want but if I was in the market for a car, I'd be all over this one:

I'm one of those lads who would pay a little more for the best. Now I'm not going to comment on his "OBO" price, but my gut tells me this one will get tons of interest and may sell quickly, time will tell.

That is a really nice one - the price is most likely justified albiet maybe and I said maybe a little high but how many of these are still out there? Ben obviously, when I bought mine and Sid as well we looked for low mileage cars because of a lot of reasons - overall condition interior and exterior and maintenance records - this is a great one and although it is 17 years old - you won't be cringing if you decided on one like this!

High miler cars that have this kind of maintenance history would be good too. That's what I'm saying - everything has a qualifier! Happy hunting.

Thank you for the link...very nice condition, I'm keeping watch on this one.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, I don't know what I wrote that would indicate that. This is a forum for perspective buyers. So I'm reaching out...I'm simply trying to get a pulse on the market and that's why I've provided examples to clarify my concern. Nobody wants to be bent over and ripped off. You mention market value, I'm willing to pay that if I knew what it was, do you have an idea? because nothing I found thus far shows any indication of current market value (see my initial posts). I wouldn't have considered buying one if I wasn't prepared to pay. What is the "low end" of the asking price mean? Are NSX resale values immune to a troubled economy, where for the most part everything has been negatively effected? I would argue that a reason for why there's currently a large supply is because people are prioritizing their lifestyle and selling their toys, perhaps willing to part with them for less than what they would have sold for during the good times whether it's NSX, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.. in fact, I unloaded my garage queen a year ago for this exact reason, it's unfortunate, but a reality.

I think many people feel alright with paying a "fair" price for an item or car. Sure, they'd love to get a "steal of a deal" but you get what you pay for.

After one makes a purchase and leaves, I think the biggest fear is the feeling that the seller is kicking their feet up on the desk, breaking out the cigars & scotch & saying, "Wow, we hosed that guy & made our profit for the whole month just off him!"

If I buy a car that's not over priced, but not under priced wither, I'm fine with that.

I think that's what you're saying here, but you just want to gauge what that fair market pricing is...

Sure there's Kelly Blue Book (they're always on the high side) & NADA Guide (most Credit Unions use this one), & Edmunds is usually pretty accurate (at least when it comes to estimating trade-in value).

Another I've seen is the CPI Guide (Cars of Particular Interest). It mainly focuses on collectible & high-line cars. I haven't check it in awhile (years) but it might be worth looking at.

Then, like many here have stated, you just gotta watch the market flow. Don't just sit & watch forever though. If something looks good, it seems "in line" with pricing value estimates, & you feel it's fair deal (& the PPI checks out), then pull that trigger & make it yours!

Of course, some sellers will discount the pricing guides when you try to say that their price is too high ("So what, that's just a GUIDE...does Edmunds have an NSX they're selling you for that much?" ...or my favorite when you try to show a dealership why their trade-in offer is an insult compared to what you printed out from XYZ site, "Did that website have a 'print check to buy your car' button? I didn't think so". YET when defending their jacked-up sales price, they're all too happy to treat a value guide as the gospel truth...

This is an interesting thread....

No one can really even guess what an NSX will be worth down the line. As time goes on and the cars get crashed or over modified the semi-original ones will get more valuable since they deliver excellent performance with not a great deal of upkeep expense. Of course as they get older parts will get more $$$.

Some thoughts...

I've been Gullwing fan since I was 11 years old and they first came out. A friend's dad bought one in 1956 for $5,500 (new). Over the years they dropped in value then began to climb -- 15 years ago you could find a nice one for $50k -- now they're $650K.

My first new car was a carefully optioned 1964 Pontiac GTO (Bobcat for those in the know) only 6 or 8 were built -- paid $3,300 incl tax and lic. Car ran the 1/4 in the high 12s at 113mph. Sold it two years later for what I paid for it. Three years ago a near-duplicate (museum quality) sold at auction for $400K.

In 1972 I bought a used 1971 Daytona for $12,500 -- my girlfriend (now wife) hated that car, said I drove it too fast ;-) insisted I sell it.... took me 6 months and I ended up selling it for what I paid for it. In 1988 when Enzo died the car jumped instantly to $330K and would probably bring $900K today.

Do I think my NSX (after I die, of course) will bring those kind of numbers? I doubt it. But you never know -- depends on its condition at that time, and how many are available. Gasoline to run it may or may not be available :)

FYI I paid $43K for my NSX in 1993 and put maybe $7,500 in mods in over the years. And have gotten WAY more than that worth of fun out of it.

My point: if you are thinking about buying an NSX do while they're cheap.

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread....

No one can really even guess what an NSX will be worth down the line. As time goes on and the cars get crashed or over modified the semi-original ones will get more valuable since they deliver excellent performance with not a great deal of upkeep expense. Of course as they get older parts will get more $$$.

Some thoughts...

I've been Gullwing fan since I was 11 years old and they first came out. A friend's dad bought one in 1956 for $5,500 (new). Over the years they dropped in value then began to climb -- 15 years ago you could find a nice one for $50k -- now they're $650K.

My first new car was a carefully optioned 1964 Pontiac GTO (Bobcat for those in the know) only 6 or 8 were built -- paid $3,300 incl tax and lic. Car ran the 1/4 in the high 12s at 113mph. Sold it two years later for what I paid for it. Three years ago a near-duplicate (museum quality) sold at auction for $400K.

In 1972 I bought a used 1971 Daytona for $12,500 -- my girlfriend (now wife) hated that car, said I drove it too fast ;-) insisted I sell it.... took me 6 months and I ended up selling it for what I paid for it. In 1988 when Enzo died the car jumped instantly to $330K and would probably bring $900K today.

Do I think my NSX (after I die, of course) will bring those kind of numbers? I doubt it. But you never know -- depends on its condition at that time, and how many are available. Gasoline to run it may or may not be available :)

FYI I paid $43K for my NSX in 1993 and put maybe $7,500 in mods in over the years. And have gotten WAY more than that worth of fun out of it.

My point: if you are thinking about buying an NSX do while they're cheap.

SFNSXguy,

Thanks! That's some great insight. A rather motivational post for me and my quest:biggrin:

I think many people feel alright with paying a "fair" price for an item or car. Sure, they'd love to get a "steal of a deal" but you get what you pay for.

After one makes a purchase and leaves, I think the biggest fear is the feeling that the seller is kicking their feet up on the desk, breaking out the cigars & scotch & saying, "Wow, we hosed that guy & made our profit for the whole month just off him!"

If I buy a car that's not over priced, but not under priced wither, I'm fine with that.

I think that's what you're saying here, but you just want to gauge what that fair market pricing is...

Sure there's Kelly Blue Book (they're always on the high side) & NADA Guide (most Credit Unions use this one), & Edmunds is usually pretty accurate (at least when it comes to estimating trade-in value).

Another I've seen is the CPI Guide (Cars of Particular Interest). It mainly focuses on collectible & high-line cars. I haven't check it in awhile (years) but it might be worth looking at.

Then, like many here have stated, you just gotta watch the market flow. Don't just sit & watch forever though. If something looks good, it seems "in line" with pricing value estimates, & you feel it's fair deal (& the PPI checks out), then pull that trigger & make it yours!

Of course, some sellers will discount the pricing guides when you try to say that their price is too high ("So what, that's just a GUIDE...does Edmunds have an NSX they're selling you for that much?" ...or my favorite when you try to show a dealership why their trade-in offer is an insult compared to what you printed out from XYZ site, "Did that website have a 'print check to buy your car' button? I didn't think so". YET when defending their jacked-up sales price, they're all too happy to treat a value guide as the gospel truth...

Never checked out CPI, thanks for the tip, will look into it.

Much appreciated :smile:

Tim,

Am I missing something, you thought EAC buying a 96 with 140k+ for 29k, but you didn't think this one I posted for a potential buyer was a good deal? :confused:

1995 Acura NSX Targa Green/Tan - 60k Service Completed - 67k mi
JH4NA1185ST000573

Buy it Now:$26490

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...item4aa4caaeb9

Tim,

Am I missing something, you thought EAC buying a 96 with 140k+ for 29k, but you didn't think this one I posted for a potential buyer was a good deal? :confused:

1995 Acura NSX Targa Green/Tan - 60k Service Completed - 67k mi
JH4NA1185ST000573

Buy it Now:$26490

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...item4aa4caaeb9

I've seen others in this price range as similar to the example you provided (thanks, I'm actually watching this one), so I concur, I'm a little confused with Tim's rational...:confused:

Here's two other similar examples

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0450960358&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT1994 Acura NSX 65K miles and serviced

1995 Acura NSX 77k miles and serviced

There's actually a couple more in this price range currently/or recently ended on ebay...

Back