• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rumor mill: Type R coming in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Type R design follows the GT3 (ie. drop the hybrid stuff; lose weight; and add more HP), then it's going to seem pretty similar to the new R8 RWS rear-wheel drive only model which is expected to start at $139k according to latest C&D issue. Both would be mid-engine but the R8 retains the V10 at 540 hp vs a souped up turbo V6. And also in the RWD high perf market is the new Corvette ZR1 with 755 hp. I'm not promoting either .. just saying the market is getting even more crowded with options for the 'Type B' spenders mentioned above. It's the hybrid stuff that makes the NSX unique and not in the same camp as the other 'big engine, old school' designs .. and Acura was determined to take a new approach that would set them apart. I can't see them backtracking on that.

(unknown) maintenance for the NSX has no known edge on the Italian cars mate. you can drive the balls off of them these days, they don't require much. for instance, the 458 was the first Ferrari to have a lifetime clutch and transmission. no replacement required, ever...

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on the not-yet-known reliability of a Honda versus a Ferrari all-day every day and twice on Sunday.

Yes, I know the 458 has a "lifetime" clutch. But what about all the other parts and systems? Macs have crazy electrical gremlins. I know a guy that sold his Mac because the car kept locking him out, and wouldn't unlock. The dealer could never fix it, and after the 3rd time being stranded and having to uber home and the dealer having to flatbed the car, he sold it. That kind of quirky stuff. Who wants to have to deal with going to the dealer all the time?

Rear mid engine vette will hurt the NSX 2.0 even more in terms of market share.

Also in the area of aftermaket support the Vette will win.

What pisses me off about Honda/Acura is that they lock out their ECU.

My GTO and S-10 ECU can be accessed and and tuned.

Oh..... and let's not forget about Flex fuel.....

The locked out ECU reminds me of my 1970 Boss 302 Mustang, that came stock with a rev limiter...... If you broke the seal on the connector you voided the warranty. I'd guess the purpose of the ECU lockout is the same on the NSX and is there to protect the manufacturer from blown engines caused by tunes in excess of engineered capabilities...... ?

Just to throw another data point in the mix for our Huracan - we hardly drove the car (had around 2000 miles after a year) and the dealer told us it was due for the "3 year service" since it was 2018.

Got hit with a $4500 bill to get the car up to current specs. Was as bit startled as the car was hardly driven and still had the showroom fresh smell. If we had driven this car say 5000 or even 10,000 miles, we'd bet the service would hurt even more since now you are adding at minimum tires, more parts, etc.

We love the Italians for their own reasons, but anytime you mention Ferrari, Lambo and car is out of warranty ~ plan to be sitting down :) If you have actual real problems with the car, then it's going to be really painful.....

The locked out ECU reminds me of my 1970 Boss 302 Mustang, that came stock with a rev limiter...... If you broke the seal on the connector you voided the warranty. I'd guess the purpose of the ECU lockout is the same on the NSX and is there to protect the manufacturer from blown engines caused by tunes in excess of engineered capabilities...... ?

I'm fine with a simple seal with warnings of voiding warranty, etc.

Acura/Honda made their software in the ECU impossible to crack.

I'm not a fan of piggy back ECU and aftermarket ones since I like to pass the California Wi-Fi Dongle smog via OBD-2 port.

At least with the GTR they allowed the ECU to be hacked for more power......

i dunno if Honda can do anything to save this car honestly? it failed pretty hard right out of the gate, and it's all down hill from here. people can state all the reasons they want why it's not selling. meanwhile Ferrari is sold out of it's entire model line into 2019.

judging by some of the surprising responses in this thread, current owners and fans of the new NSX don't even care if they build an "R" model. that's an ominous sign.

and it now looks like Lotus is gonna build a Type R before Honda does:

https://www.6speedonline.com/article...2020-comeback/

Id care if they built one just not at double the street cost of a reg NSX. I'd also be fine if they could upgrade all existing owners cars to a type R

Id care if they built one just not at double the street cost of a reg NSX. I'd also be fine if they could upgrade all existing owners cars to a type R

both seem unlikely...

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on the not-yet-known reliability of a Honda versus a Ferrari all-day every day and twice on Sunday.

Yes, I know the 458 has a "lifetime" clutch. But what about all the other parts and systems? Macs have crazy electrical gremlins. I know a guy that sold his Mac because the car kept locking him out, and wouldn't unlock. The dealer could never fix it, and after the 3rd time being stranded and having to uber home and the dealer having to flatbed the car, he sold it. That kind of quirky stuff. Who wants to have to deal with going to the dealer all the time?

458's are solid as a rock. i'd imagine 488's even more so.

i wasn't talking about McLaren reliability, otherwise i'd have mentioned them. they have some weird, weird issues...

Rear mid engine vette will hurt the NSX 2.0 even more in terms of market share.

Also in the area of aftermaket support the Vette will win.

What pisses me off about Honda/Acura is that they lock out their ECU.

My GTO and S-10 ECU can be accessed and and tuned.

Oh..... and let's not forget about Flex fuel.....

This ....I mentioned this before and some said the two wouldn’t be “cross shopped “. Well I think that this is the exact car that would be crossed shopped with an NSX. I’ve owned both at the same time. I’m always looking for affordable performance. To me I believe Corvette has maxed out the FR platform but even their lesser powerful GS Would stomp an NSX around the track. If they come out with a mid engine Vette it’s going to be world beater with a proper exotic layout with a cast dealer network. It will be hard to make a case for the NSX.

MC

This ....I mentioned this before and some said the two wouldn’t be “cross shopped “. Well I think that this is the exact car that would be crossed shopped with an NSX. I’ve owned both at the same time. I’m always looking for affordable performance. To me I believe Corvette has maxed out the FR platform but even their lesser powerful GS Would stomp an NSX around the track. If they come out with a mid engine Vette it’s going to be world beater with a proper exotic layout with a cast dealer network. It will be hard to make a case for the NSX.

MC

Only time that this wouldn't be cross shopped is for those brand loyalist "I hate all American cars (even though they usually live in America).

I'm conjecturing that the rear mid engine Vette will be lighter than the current NSX 2.0.

Both cars offer daily usability and are in the more affordable spectrum of super cars when it comes to initial purchase value and maintenance costs.

Only thing else that would fit this class would be the 911.

Depending on the look and performance of the rear mid engine Vette, I'm also going to say that the Ford GT might take a hit on their sales numbers since for the HP their priced a bit high. I mean it's higher priced than a 720s with less performance (and prestige).

Now if the NSX 2.0 looked like (and have similar HP) the FGT then it would sell like hot cakes.

gotta agree with both of you. the mid-engined Corvette will likely be much lighter, faster, more of a novelty, and certainly a lot cheaper...

MC

Hybrid twin turbo v6 is not going to be a car that appeals to your corvette american V8 buyer. I see little to no cross shopping done there. I have had only 1 client ever who had owned 6 or 7 vette's look at the NSX as he was ready for something different. The car I most commonly talk about with prospective buyers is the R8. Acura also has an established dealer network to provide excellent service nationwide.

I think a type R variant would stomp most competitors around the track. I seem to remember watching a video in Japan of a GTR Nismo, NSX, R8 v10 Plus, a 911, and a few other cars running a few laps and the NSX jumped out in the lead and held it from there. Give it some proper track aero and it will be a monster. NSX is capable of incredible cornering speeds as is. The dream to me is still a combination of Sport-Hybrid Torque Vectoring and Lamborghini ALA...that car would be a king!

Last edited:
Hybrid twin turbo v6 is not going to be a car that appeals to your corvette american V8 buyer. I see little to no cross shopping done there. I have had only 1 client ever who had owned 6 or 7 vette's look at the NSX as he was ready for something different. The car I most commonly talk about with prospective buyers is the R8. Acura also has an established dealer network to provide excellent service nationwide.

I think a type R variant would stomp most competitors around the track. I seem to remember watching a video in Japan of a GTR Nismo, NSX, R8 v10 Plus, a 911, and a few other cars running a few laps and the NSX jumped out in the lead and held it from there. Give it some proper track aero and it will be a monster. NSX is capable of incredible cornering speeds as is. The dream to me is still a combination of Sport-Hybrid Torque Vectoring and Lamborghini ALA...that car would be a king!

For me I would have a checklist of what I want in a car:

Do I like the look
Rear Mid engine
What power does it have unmolested
RWD or AWD (makes no difference to me)
What can be modified in terms of power, handling, brakes, exhaust, infotainment (sadly this is less and less possible with new cars)

And what is my budget relative to cost of the initial buy?

I like the R8 power plant and sound over the NSX 2.0 but I'm not feeling the looks.

For me I would have a checklist of what I want in a car:

Do I like the look
Rear Mid engine
What power does it have unmolested
RWD or AWD (makes no difference to me)
What can be modified in terms of power, handling, brakes, exhaust, infotainment (sadly this is less and less possible with new cars)

And what is my budget relative to cost of the initial buy?

I like the R8 power plant and sound over the NSX 2.0 but I'm not feeling the looks.

For those looking to modify you can't beat the Corvette. Massive aftermarket support, probably one of the most supported vehicles from an aftermarket performance standpoint.

Last edited:

i believe we were talking about buyers taking a look at the Corvette instead of the NSX, not the other way around. i could see buyers spending under $100,000 on a mid-engined Corvette which is lighter and faster than a more expensive NSX...

I think a type R variant would stomp most competitors around the track. I seem to remember watching a video in Japan of a GTR Nismo, NSX, R8 v10 Plus, a 911, and a few other cars running a few laps and the NSX jumped out in the lead and held it from there.

where is that video?

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but here is a good review which pretty much sums up everything we’ve been talking about here for almost two years now. A type r lightweight version has been begged for in that 2 year time but asking more money for it will be an even bigger flop since the first sales. If you like the car, you have nothing to defend. I personally wasn’t blown away by it. Not by the looks, the fit, the finish, and mostly the drive. There’s some things I like about it though. The drive modes are a bunch of nonsense though if you ask me. Like the car has a gender crisis. It doesn’t know if it wants to be an ev,a supercar, or a grand tourer.
https://www.driveandreview.com/2016...e-biggest-automotive-failure-of-recent-times/

Last edited:
Agreed. Not trying to sound like a dick by any means to owners here. We’re all part of a very small family. But we should really question a lot of what is going on at Honda motor Corp these days.

i believe we were talking about buyers taking a look at the Corvette instead of the NSX, not the other way around. i could see buyers spending under $100,000 on a mid-engined Corvette which is lighter and faster than a more expensive NSX...

where is that video?

Will post when I find it. Was pretty entertaining to watch but I remember the entire video was in Japanese and was not posted on youtube. My point was that those two cars do not share much of the same market and I doubt they will even if/when the corvette gets it's new mid engine form. I wouldn't expect any prospective customers to ask questions about how they compare or why one is better than the other. They will be wildly different cars that both have their loyal fan bases. I just don't think the NSX buyer is anything like a corvette buyer. I'd imagine any prospective corvette buyer, even of the mid engine design, would scoff at the idea of a v6 and walk out the door as soon as I started talking about electric motors.

The most satisfying thing to hear as a someone who does talk about and sell these cars on a daily basis is the incredibly positive reviews from all that have owned. I have yet to have complaints from any owner of the car. All of them love everything about it, wish for a few new features, and can't wait for a type-R. I'm surprised how many on this forum have said they truly disliked the car. All of our Gen 1 owners have loved it and many have purchased.

Also, that article may make some interesting points but many of the youtubers have discussed the vehicle at length. Salomondrin comes to mind as one who has said many times he will buy one when they are under $120k.

I personally can't wait for the type-r as I have my eyes on a specific NSX that will be traded in when it does finally release :friendly_wink:

Last edited:
The most satisfying thing to hear as a someone who does talk about and sell these cars on a daily basis is the incredibly positive reviews from all that have owned. I have yet to have complaints from any owner of the car. All of them love everything about it, wish for a few new features, and can't wait for a type-R. I'm surprised how many on this forum have said they truly disliked the car. All of our Gen 1 owners have loved it and many have purchased.

Also, that article may make some interesting points but many of the youtubers have discussed the vehicle at length. Salomondrin comes to mind as one who has said many times he will buy one when they are under $120k.

I personally can't wait for the type-r as I have my eyes on a specific NSX that will be traded in when it does finally release :friendly_wink:

no one ever said that any current owners wouldn't love their cars. of course they love their cars, they just shelled out a massive amount of money on a very nice car. and again, it's a very nice car. you can't buy a bad car these days. and those who don't particularly love the car obviously won't throw down $120,000+.

as for the YouTuber retards, really, who cares about them? teenagers with video cameras, not exactly trained journalistic professionals!

has anyone actually verified anything about this potential Type-R?

no one ever said that any current owners wouldn't love their cars. of course they love their cars, they just shelled out a massive amount of money on a very nice car. and again, it's a very nice car. you can't buy a bad car these days. and those who don't particularly love the car obviously won't throw down $120,000+.

as for the YouTuber retards, really, who cares about them? teenagers with video cameras, not exactly trained journalistic professionals!

has anyone actually verified anything about this potential Type-R?

If the car was as bad as some make it out to seem wouldn't owners be regretful that they overpaid for a car that sucks? May be a bit of an oversimplification but it makes my point.

Also youtubers are influential. Companies get tons of advertising and attention from these youtubers and while most of them are not directly paid by manufactures, they are gifted free trips and exclusive access and in return they typically get good publicity and some hype behind their brand. There is a lot of new money out there in the tech industries and with crypto blowing up. Many of those are very young and are very influenced by social media. Youtube and social media provide an excellent advertising platform that is grossly misused or underused by many businesses.

Nothing verified but rumors have been picking up from people that are in the know regarding a type-R. I still think 2019 will be some sort of minor refresh and then a big campaign leading up to a release of the type-R in 2020. In the supercar world I think Mclaren has finally found perfect balance after struggling in their early years.

New model releases, 2 years later you get a spyder edition, 2 years later, hardcore LT model, then a brand new car. How long has the Aventador been out now? 7 years? With another version coming late this year and then at lease another year an a half before it's replacement arrives. 8 years is a lot of time for a supercar to age. With how fast this market evolves 6 years is about the max you can run a platform before people begin to get tired of it and technology has advanced so far that you simply can not keep up.

Last edited:
Lamborghini has only made 5 flagship V12 models in roughly 60 years, and they're well able to get away with it. but that only works for them, it won't work for anyone else.

as i said before, you can't buy a bad car anymore. anyone who bought the new NSX will be more than happy with it, there's no reason not to be.

as for this much ballyhooed Type R, time will tell. but i wouldn't put any money on it...

both seem unlikely...

458's are solid as a rock. i'd imagine 488's even more so.

i wasn't talking about McLaren reliability, otherwise i'd have mentioned them. they have some weird, weird issues...

Yeah, and with the 488 you could keep going back to the greasy dealer and getting the odometer rolled back. That's real value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back