• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2000 vs C30 NSX (just a comparison)

My friend and I have been discussing both of these cars and I know there are quiet a few similarities between the two. Could someone that is familiar with both cars chime in and explain the differences in the road feel and flexibility of the two cars. Is there a big performance difference? Which is the better performing car? As most of you know, I have a 1991 NSX with 24k miles and my friend just bought a 2002 s2k with less than 10k miles. He is going to pick it up today and we were just curious as to what everyone elses experiences were. Thanks in advance.

You may do a search, but I ain't those little forum nazies

in Summary,

The S2k feels faster, nsx is faster.

Thus you may or may not feel like the S2k is more exciting or fun to drive. Due to its lighter weight, and smaller dimension, lighter steering wheel...etc.
nsx had a more muturer ride and feel, the torque is a lot more useable in leisure crusing.

Both cars give you that chill in the bone thrill when you take them to the limit. However, some will interpret nsx is even harder, as the under/over characteristics are more pronounced and the transition is faster due to the true mid engine layout.

OH, no matter how HONDA put the S2000 a front-mid engine layout, The mid engine nsx is the true mid engine afterall. I found the engine sound right behind my ears irresitable.

I hope this isnt in the wrong area. I started this thread here since I am an owner and Im wanting to discuss the differences between my car and my friends car. If it does need to be moved, moderator, feel free. Thanks

The differences between the 2 cars are like day and night. People may argue this but from my experiences from owning both, they do NOT perform similarly whatsoever. (If anything the s2000 is easier to compare an Integra Type R with rather then the NSX) The s2000 has a major torque issue and does NOT feel fast until it gets past 6000 rpm's (Normal 3000 rpm shifts make the car feel slugglish). The NSX does not have this torque issue at all. The S2000 may be able to do 0-60 similarly (5.4-6.3), but thats only when you launch at around 5500 rpm's and even that is hard to duplicate. The NSX doesn't need a huge launch to do that kind of time and if your aiming for 6.3 seconds you don't need a launch at all. The S2000 is a nimble go-kart feeling car while the NSX is a exotic race car. The S2000 can break its traction easily in the rain. The NSX feels more solid in rainy conditions because of its MR layout. ( TCS off This all still depends on your tires of course). In terms of comfort it definitely goes to the NSX. The s2000 is much more raw. The ride is stiff (almost type r stiff). Both cars are cars for people who love to drive, you can't go wrong with either, and owning both is definitely a plus. Has your friend ever driven your NSX? maybe one day both of you can swap cars and then judge them for yourselves.

I own both and they really are hard to compare ,but since I don't own an NA1 NSX I don't know how helpful I'll be. Here goes NSX stays flatter pulls harder more stable at speeds. S2000 is super agile , point and shoot slid the back end fun ,then you drop the top and it gets better:biggrin:

He has been for a ride in my car, but never driven it. He was impressed. He has never driven an s2k either, but he has been for a few rides in them. Another guy I know has an 02 s2k and he beats the crap out of it. It has to be well built to withstand that kind of punishment. Yeah I think we will swap cars one night and that way we will understand each others cars better. As for my car though, I havent driven anything with a better more linear power band. Its amazing the way the torque is distributed throughout the powerband.

^ pretty much what MashimaroNSX and WingZ said sums it up.

I have owned both at the same time as well. Each is different therapy for different ailments :biggrin: :cool:

what about going around the Twisties? who wins that battle, Guy I worked with said an S2000 can corner faster then the NSX, I told him I am not sure that is true. but then again it could be b/c I am bias towards the NSX since it is my dream car

what about going around the Twisties? who wins that battle, Guy I worked with said an S2000 can corner faster then the NSX, I told him I am not sure that is true. but then again it could be b/c I am bias towards the NSX since it is my dream car

No I don't think it corners faster. It's the lighter weight that causes the car to respond quicker. If it's a lot of tight fast turns the more nimble S2000 is more fun , but once you get to long straights the NSX would pull away ,but they're pretty much equal in the turns the NSX just has more grip. Of course that break lose back end is what makes the S2000 so much fun. Guess I didn't anwser the question.

The S2000 just doesn't feel as special as the NSX (probably partly because I daily drive the S2000 :tongue:). In very tight winding roads, the S2000 is more nimble because it's smaller and lighter. The NSX feels much more stable and planted overall. The sound of the engine behind your head in the NSX is also much nicer than the conventional front engine location of the S2000. Like others have noted, you really have to rev the S2000 past 6000rpm to get power. Both are great cars, but I like the NSX much more.

I think we will swap cars one night and that way we will understand each others cars better.
You will need more than a night to get used to the car once you swap with the friend. Approximately 3 days, you will understand the car.

Linear power band= you will not get that with S2K, enjoy the powerband from 6k and up. It does have that noticeable VTEC switch point. Similar to a 1psi kick from turbo.

AP1 have stiffer suspension. AP2 have soft suspension, for a decent take off in NSX you just need 2500rpm~3000rpm. In S2K 5000~6000rpm.

If modded (almost too easy):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9219177931797830622&q=supercharged+s2000&pl=true

AP1 have stiffer suspension. AP2 have soft suspension, for a decent take off in NSX you just need 2500rpm~3000rpm. In S2K 5000~6000rpm.

If modded (almost too easy):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9219177931797830622&q=supercharged+s2000&pl=true

I think you meant AP2 has softer suspension than AP1 , but it's by no means soft..LOL

Hey nsxsupra ask Vancehu if his 06 AP2 seems kinda loud? My car is stock and it's louder than my 02 AP1 and 04 AP2 were with headers.

Great find:biggrin: A properly modded S2k can play with pretty much anything. Once you start making power, the rear starts to go.:frown:

I think the S2000 is just as much fun as the NSX. Obviously you dont have the wow factor or the constant head turning but overall the experience is very close. Stock vs Stock, the NSX has the edge as its still a true out and out supercar.:wink:

Great find:biggrin: A properly modded S2k can play with pretty much anything. Once you start making power, the rear starts to go.:frown:

I think the S2000 is just as much fun as the NSX. Obviously you dont have the wow factor or the constant head turning but overall the experience is very close. Stock vs Stock, the NSX has the edge as its still a true out and out supercar.:wink:

Jeez! Kid your car wouldn't have even stayed in the picture:biggrin:

Has Vortech come up with a kit for the 06 S2K yet? I now Comptech came up with one where Hondata tuned the ECU ,but Comptech is no longer an option:mad:

so performance wise(the Straights, the twisties, braking,) the NSX would prevail? (Stock for stock comparison that is)

so performance wise(the Straights, the twisties, braking,) the NSX would prevail? (Stock for stock comparison that is)

Absolutely. Don't forget:

S2000 is approx 1/3 the price of a NSX at MSRP, there is a reason behind it.

Many S2k owners jumped ship to a early 90's NSX. They know it's a better car even 15 years old.

i have NA2 nsx and ap1 s2k. (both supercharged )

Agree with the above comments, but once you get 7+ lbs boost on an ap1 with 4.44 rearend with ap2 tranny and the car comes alive. The s2k in this config is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

both are fun cars

thanks

tom

Great find A properly modded S2k can play with pretty much anything. Once you start making power, the rear starts to go.
The Kid has a great point. My brother had Ultimate racing build him a 1000hp S2000, should pretty much spank any street car, like Mike stated don't know about traction yet. I know his rear is completly changed, and all his drivetrain is custom from some place in Australia. The car is currently at Legendary Mootrcar getting the Tracy's sports wide body kit installed. If anyy Canadian owners are interested in seeing the car, it will be there for a couple more weeks.We have some picks of the car, will post soon. Also, the car will be in the upcoming Honda tuing issue and Turbo shortly after engine has been tuned properly. Frank

Great find A properly modded S2k can play with pretty much anything. Once you start making power, the rear starts to go.
The Kid has a great point. My brother had Ultimate racing build him a 1000hp S2000, should pretty much spank any street car, like Mike stated don't know about traction yet. I know his rear is completly changed, and all his drivetrain is custom from some place in Australia. The car is currently at Legendary Mootrcar getting the Tracy's sports wide body kit installed. If anyy Canadian owners are interested in seeing the car, it will be there for a couple more weeks.We have some picks of the car, will post soon. Also, the car will be in the upcoming Honda tuing issue and Turbo shortly after engine has been tuned properly. Frank

Im looking to see both you and your brothers cars around. Ill ring you up tommorow.

S2000 is very light, that's something a lot of people forget about. I wont mention names, (you know who you are:tongue: ) but I recently roasted one of our service customer's NA2 CTSC. It really wasnt even close. :wink: From a stop, a roll and everything else. I even ran him on my low boost setting of 370hp. My Greddy Profec B II is also set to 440hp high setting but Im not to comfortable with the stock head gasket.:biggrin: Traction is a slip issue but as long as baby first, your good to go.

The rear and tranny are beefed up in the later models by Honda.
• differential strengthened by 20% and overall rigidity increased by 40%
•brass synchronizer rings replaced with carbon material to improve load capacity, abrassion resistance, reliability and overall shift feel
• transmission case rigidity improved
• structual reinforcements added to the front frame end, the upper arm support point, the front crossmember and the rear bulkhead

Competition reinforced differential housing was available at Comptech:frown::
http://www.comptechusa.com/store/550040.html

Traction is a slip issue but as long as baby first, your good to go.
You need to get the headgasket done can crank up the boost. If I go Inlinepro, first thing I do is headgasket.

I can see you beating him on a roll, but from a dig? Is it that easy to launch with that power and no weight in the back? I do not see S2K being a king off the line even with 500rwhp due to weight transfer/power delivery/traction. The CTSC coupled with 6spd is invincible off the line even against cars double the power. 0~60mph approximately 3.5~3.8sec in capable hands. It is the 60mph and above where it fall flat on its face against mega powerful cars. Put yourself in his NSX then have him drive the S2K.

I won't mention name either but our friend Matt (enxnsx95t) ran a very..... well known SoCal street racer's 448rwhp S2K in his full weight 350rwhp NA1 95 targa nsx and beat the car from 0~70mph, then the S2k passed like it was standing still. I find that even with stock power it is a hit or miss for that perfect launch with S2K due to traction. If you baby it at first, the MR launch is gone even with low rpm launch unless the guy doesn't know how to drive stick.

Is it that easy to launch with that power and no weight in the back?

Recently Ive been driving around with bags of salt in my trunk. Its this stuff you put on snow:tongue: I tell ya, I got an Exedy Clutch and while it gets some getting used too, once you master it, its a blast.

Back