• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Scam or not??

Hey guys, as many of you know I'm selling my NSX. Well this morning I recieved and email which seems a little strange. I want to pass it along to you and see what you think. Also, I was wondering if I have this guy's check clear my bank could I be liable later on if my bank has problems getting their money. I thought once the check clears....then you are safe. Please let me know what you think.

His original Email to me:

"I HAVE A BUYER FOR YOUR VEHICLE, HE RESIDES IN MEXICO, HE IS WILLING TO PAY $46900, HE WILL ALSO TAKE CARE OF THE SHIPPING CHARGES."

After I reply...sounds good, please provide me with some more info he writes back:

"Hello John,
I will still appreciate some recent pics,also, i spoke
with my clienton phone immediately i received your mail. And we
have concluded withour client and he has instructed us to carry
on with the transaction,he said that I should inform you that
payment will get to you in a cashier check of $54,900. which is a
refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to
company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to
you,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one
cashier check,so you are required to deduct cost of your vehicle
$46,900 when payment gets to you and refund balance $8,000 to my
customer's shipper via western union money transfer or moneygram
transfer for him to be able to offset shipping charges.After payment
has reached you and balance sent back to him,our agent will come for
the pick up of the vehicle and drive to the prepaid shipper to be
shipped to my customer,while title papers and other necessary
documents will be sent by you via courier to my customer.Please
Confirm this and provide Name,Address and Phone number for check
payment to be delivered to you.
Thanks and God Bless
"

His grammer and all the capital letters are exactly how he sent it to me. Please let me know.

Thanks

John,

I know you are not really asking if this is a scam, right?? I know you have been around the block too many times.

Later,
LarryB

I obviously REALLY think this is a HUGE scam. I'm just trying to get another opinion, more importantly I'm asking if I let this clown's check clear my account is there still a risk to me. Regardless I'm going to call my bank and ask, but I'm just throwing this out there.

Cash the check and send him the car. Then watch in agony as the money disappears from your bank account and the car is long gone.

DocL said:
Cash the check and send him the car. Then watch in agony as the money disappears from your bank account and the car is long gone.
Doc, the scam here is not the purchase of the car itself. It's that the victim is asked to refund the $8,000 via wire transfer, when the original check is bogus.

When the buyer's check bounces, that $8,000 is gone for good already.

Still, nobody answered ...... if the check clears, THEN I send him the cash can I still be liable later on

It will take 30 days or longer for your bank to determine that the "official" looking cashiers check is no good. Then they will come to you for the money.
There are only 2-safe ways to get paid for your sale. A wire transfer to your account, or a bank check prepared by the bank in your presence.
Cash is too dangerous, as it could turn violent. Not to mention getting on the FBI list when you make the deposit :eek:

Point taken.....thanks guys. Like I said, I really already had my mind made up. It's just good to get a positive affirmation. Plus having stories like this out on the web can help others.

Thanks again!!

NsXMas said:
Doc, the scam here is not the purchase of the car itself. It's that the victim is asked to refund the $8,000 via wire transfer, when the original check is bogus.

When the buyer's check bounces, that $8,000 is gone for good already.

I know, I was just trying to be a little sarcastic. I guess it didn't come across too well in print. :wink:

jadkar said:
Point taken.....thanks guys. Like I said, I really already had my mind made up. It's just good to get a positive affirmation. Plus having stories like this out on the web can help others.

Thanks again!!
No problem.

Here is a great site with scams to avoid:

http://www.scambusters.org/index.html

Tons of content. Human ingenuity knows no bounds.

Enjoy, and good luck.

DocL - :wink:

Most of these guys are based in Nigeria. They tried it on me as well, was selling my SC400...guy said he was from London...check was FedEx'd from Lagos. My bank determined it to be a fugazi. I'm sure a legit buyer will scoop up that beauty soon enough John.

- Jon

Back