• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed next generation Individual Throttle Body System for NSX

Thanks ponyboy, I saw the lower portion of the box w the hinges in that thread before, but hadn't seen the top of the box yet. It looks pretty cool but I thought it was going to have a raised volume and a matching molded carbon top, like an Enzo's engine. Also thought it was going to have an intake pipe snaking into the fender for a "cold air" effect and not the open element filter on a short tube. Not sure if it will make much difference from a performance point of view but it would make for a more integrated "OEM" presentation (deleting the engine cover though). Thanks again for directing us to the post, love your mod list!

It looks pretty cool but I thought it was going to have a raised volume and a matching molded carbon top, like an Enzo's engine. Also thought it was going to have an intake pipe snaking into the fender for a "cold air" effect and not the open element filter on a short tube. Not sure if it will make much difference from a performance point of view but it would make for a more integrated "OEM" presentation (deleting the engine cover though). Thanks again for directing us to the post, love your mod list!

Sure. The end result, for mine at least, will incorporate the stock airbox that'll lead to the CF "plenum" where the ITBs are. We're just waiting on the CF "plenum" to get finished and a few other niggling parts. I'm very interested in making it look as OE as possible so I think we're in the same boat. I'll take pics and video as soon as I get them installed.

The raised portion would be nice or even a bubbled lexan piece that would reveal the ITBs. But you'd be cutting rear visibility and increasing cost for little to no performance gain - just IMO.

Sure. The end result, for mine at least, will incorporate the stock airbox that'll lead to the CF "plenum" where the ITBs are. We're just waiting on the CF "plenum" to get finished and a few other niggling parts. I'm very interested in making it look as OE as possible so I think we're in the same boat. I'll take pics and video as soon as I get them installed.

The raised portion would be nice or even a bubbled lexan piece that would reveal the ITBs. But you'd be cutting rear visibility and increasing cost for little to no performance gain - just IMO.

I think it would be awesome if you could work in a way to integrate the OEM Honda DOHC engine cover plate into the plenum cover. It would look soooo factory I bet any cop would not notice it is modified.

So what is it that is illegal about ITBs?

If the ECU is properly tuned, which I understand makes the emissions equivalent or similar to OEM NSX, is it still illegal?

After all the ITB's only allow more air to enter at higher revs. At low revs I imagine there's little or no difference to OEM. The pollution per horsepower should still be the same, or perhaps even better than OEM.

Last edited:
What you say is true in most respects. However, Cali has this thing called CARB certification (Cali Air Resources Board) and if the altering products don't have that certification then it's illegal. The process for getting CARB cert can be lengthly, time consuming, and expensive.

ahah. So an NSX with ITBs can achieve CARB certification, it's just a hassle that's worth avoiding. How much would it cost typically?

So what is it that is illegal about ITBs?

If the ECU is properly tuned, which I understand makes the emissions equivalent or similar to OEM NSX, is it still illegal?

After all the ITB's only allow more air to enter at higher revs. At low revs I imagine there's little or no difference to OEM. The pollution per horsepower should still be the same, or perhaps even better than OEM.

Not an expert on this, but in case none come forward: The OEM is course engineered to the nats ass. Since these setups are basically a trial and error process, until SOS or others attempt to get OE emissions, you just aren't going to know if it's even possible to get the tight numbers a CARB cert requires. You are having to get 6 injectors perfectly in synch. There is a reason why multiple injectors are rarely used. Long time ago i believe comptec said it spent over 5K to get something carbed.

You are going to have to do an aftermarket standalone ECU and probably lots of expensive tuning.

Generally when going with multiple carb setups, there are dips and peaks in the throttle response that racers don't even notice, but can be a definate negative on the street. It may take Chris of couple of iterations before he gets this right. Better throttle response than OE? VERY unlikely. I'm likely to do the ITB's myself, but i expect major headaches, on top of the high costs, and until i personally drive one, driveability will be formost on my worry list. JMI

Chris, a few questions. Excuse me if they seem to be "noobish".

- Is this kit plug and play? will we need anything additional to make this kit functional/tune-able?
- I remember back in my FI days i was constantly worried about cracking ring lands and blown motors. What are the drawback(s) of using ITB's?
- How will my fuel economy be affected by the use of ITB's? I understand it's all based on tuning, but overall, how much lower, on average, will I lose?
- What are some ways we can "hide" the ITB's from being seen so we don't get into trouble with the law? I wouldn't think the clamshell/standard engine cover would fit with these bad boys installed.
- Would it be better to have back pressure (cats/highflow cats) installed rather than test pipes?
- Have you taken decibel readings to see how much louder the car is with the rear hatch down and driving normally?
- Will this kit work with the stock airbox kit? I currently have the DF "Mugen" air intake. Wondering if i still can use that.

and last but certainly not least,
- Will a group buy be available, and if so, how soon can we see the group buy and pricing?

I know there are a lot of people interested in the ITB kit. So lets start a list. If we're able to get enough people, it may persuade SOS to get a group buy going.

1. Sicarius82
2. jde

I'm interested in a kit.

/jde

What ever happened to the air box design?

Any updates on this ?
Too hard basket for OBDII, TBW cars ?

Any updates on this ?
Too hard basket for OBDII, TBW cars ?

I'm sorry, this is not mean for throttle by wire cars - you'd need to convert the car to have a throttle cable, which we have done before.

-- Chris

In my scenario, there is no direct ducting from a hatch intake to a sealed enclosure around the airhorns of the ITBs. Thus, no ram-air affect, to benefit induction. Though I think a view like this is so worth the loss in HP. IMHO.
Can i prove you wrong lol
267251_196063487112012_100001250870653_575767_4320010_n.jpg

264884_196063320445362_100001250870653_575761_7182143_n.jpg

I'm sorry, this is not mean for throttle by wire cars - you'd need to convert the car to have a throttle cable, which we have done before.

-- Chris

What's involved in a conversion? I was under the impression it was very involved and not a reasonable thing to achieve.

Back