• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Selling my NSX for a C6 Vette

nsxrocks,
I also enjoyed your web site, don't worry what others think, after all its just cars were talking about, to each his own, enjoy your C6.

If we could only find a way to fit the Z06 engine in the NSX :)

I had read a post on the Ferrari site about how the C6 sales were not near as good as when the C5 had come out. That was pure chat though and no actual sales figures were shown. I wonder if this is because the C6 is not revolutionary like the C5 was, and also because the Styling is not as pretty as the C5 IMO.

Nonetheless, enjoy the car. It will be a lot of fun on the track and the street.

The C6 Corvette is definitely one of best bang for the buck cars made today. It is a relatively cheap sports car considering you get a car that has 400 hp and 400 lb ft of torque , 0.95g cornering ability and has an estimated top speed of 186 mph all for only $45k. However there is more to a car than just pure statistical figures. I have to admit that I am a numbers guy, which is probably why I was initially attracted to the Corvette.

I have owned two 2003 ZO6's and my biggest complaint was the awful quality, lack of any workmanship and those terrible seats! I also hated how the car felt from a handling perspective. It felt very big and heavy, even though it only weighed 3150 pounds. The ZO6 had great cornering ability, but the steering felt lifeless. It felt like a pig, albeit one wearing Nikes. The car just lacked character. However, with 600 rear wheel horsepower, my ZO6 was a beast!! Can you say bye bye Viper?

I have spent a fair amount of time in a friend's C6 Z51 and I can say Chevrolet has improved the car substantially. The interior design is superior (but still very cheap materials used) and is much quieter than the C5 ZO6s and probably offers 90% of the ZO6's performance. However, the handling feel is still the same; lifeless. But then again, what do you expect for $50k? The C6 is very impressive for the $$.

I hope Chevrolet gets the suspension tuning right on the new C6 ZO6. If they do, I will be buying one next year as a project car for a twin turbo kit(assuming I can find one at MSRP). There's that numbers side of me again talking. However, the C6 will be parked outside and the NSX will be in the garage where it belongs. :)

Let me also say that the NSX is far from perfect. I think it is seriously deficient in horsepower and the handling could be edgier and more balanced and responsive. However, overall the driving experience and engineering details offered by the NSX are superior to any Corvette in my opinion. By the way, a little forced induction and suspension work should cure my NSX's woes. ;)

Question??: Why does everyone continually compare the Corvette to the NSX? They are not even in the same category in my opinion. One is mass produced and the other is almost exotic and partially hand made with lots of aluminum and a sprinkle of titanium.

It makes me laugh when I see Chevy ads comparing the C6 to such cars as the 996 twin turbo, 360 Modena and possibly a Lamborghini. I highly doubt the "average" Lamborghini or Ferrari buyer is cross shopping the C6 at the Chevy dealer. I am sure there are guys out there who can afford to buy Ferraris and Lambos, but choose to buy a Vette instead, but I would think this is rare versus the norm. Hmmm, do I want to buy a 360 Stradale, Murciellago or maybe a C6 Vette? What a tough decision.

Am I totally off base on this one?

Last edited:
I was just at a chevy dealership today (my friend is a mechanic there) and one of the salesmen had a "bootleg" picture of the new Z06. Very very nice! It was black and had different wheels, and a nice spoiler in the front. He said around 500 hp... very intruiging.

Originally Posted by CerberusM5
Why does everyone continually compare the Corvette to the NSX?

That my be because the C5 and the Nsx to some look alike and have similar performance. Also, because some people cross-shop between a used Nsx and a new Corvette. A lot of people out there only look at numbers so paper comparisons are abundant. Its like the 350Z vs 3.0L Nsx. They are apples and oranges but many threads out there.

hlweyl said:
I was just at a chevy dealership today (my friend is a mechanic there) and one of the salesmen had a "bootleg" picture of the new Z06. Very very nice! It was black and had different wheels, and a nice spoiler in the front. He said around 500 hp... very intruiging.

This one has been going around. Looks good to me.

Attachments

• z06.jpg
    z06.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,207
I guess Lutz is showing Diamler/Chrysler/Dodge that he can take the Viper with him.
I have to say it, and I am a Vette basher, if that is the new Z06, it is looking pretty nice. That color fits.....

CerberusM5 said:
It makes me laugh when I see Chevy ads comparing the C6 to such cars as the 996 twin turbo, 360 Modena and possibly a Lamborghini. I highly doubt the "average" Lamborghini or Ferrari buyer is cross shopping the C6 at the Chevy dealer. I am sure there are guys out there who can afford to buy Ferraris and Lambos, but choose to buy a Vette instead, but I would think this is rare versus the norm. Hmmm, do I want to buy a 360 Stradale, Murciellago or maybe a C6 Vette? What a tough decision.

Am I totally off base on this one?

With all due respect, perhaps, if thats the only perspective your seeing it from. I believe it's purely a marketing stragety for GM.

To those people who still don't take the vette seriously or have some doubts, they're providing statistical proof to the average consumer that this car can compete with some of those high end cars (at least on paper) at a much lower price, yet remain in an exotic, high dollar car league (again on paper).
I don't think the intention was ever to change the mind of Lambo and F car owners.

The biggest thing that makes me laugh though is the fact they have the BMW Z4 as one of the comparison cars.
I can understand the Gallardo, 911, and 360, since they're high dollar, high performance cars, but why a roadster that doesn't come anywhere near those cars' performance figures?

beeker16 said:
With all due respect, perhaps, if thats the only perspective your seeing it from. I believe it's purely a marketing stragety for GM.

To those people who still don't take the vette seriously or have some doubts, they're providing statistical proof to the average consumer that this car can compete with some of those high end cars (at least on paper) at a much lower price, yet remain in an exotic, high dollar car league (again on paper).
I don't think the intention was ever to change the mind of Lambo and F car owners.

The biggest thing that makes me laugh though is the fact they have the BMW Z4 as one of the comparison cars.
I can understand the Gallardo, 911, and 360, since they're high dollar, high performance cars, but why a roadster that doesn't come anywhere near those cars' performance figures?

Beeker 16,

I think you are right on. I must have been too caught up in the C6 versus NSX discussions. I know it is strictly marketing on Chevy's behalf. However, the C6 sure does stack up quite well with the high-end European cars from statistical perspective doesn't it?

I agree, the Z4 does not belong in the comparison with the C6.

Cheers!

nsxrock said:
Jeol,

Thanks for the encouraging words! You have a nice heart and love to make people feel good about their purchases and decisions! Cheers.

:(

What'd I say? I didn't make a comment about the Corvette at all. It's my impression that first year run models are the ones to stay clear away from. I learned this the hard way. Funny, I thought I was actually contributing something helpful. That's why I attached a (seriously) at the end to denounce any hint of sarcasm.

JSMDMD said:
Well, I have had my C6 for about 3 weeks now.
My impressions are that its well built, handles just as well as the NSX, and has an unbeliveable amount of power and torque.

Trunk space is great, even with the roof stowed. You can put a large duffle in front of the roof and lots of stuff under it.

I had my 91 NSX for 2 yrs and drove it almost 20,000 miles. It had 130,000 miles on it when I sold it. Fun to drive, but not so much fun when the repair and replacement bills started to accumulate.
Although the NSX is a handbuilt limited edition car, it still seems to be stuck in the 90's as far as horsepower and engine size are concerned. I was looking at getting a later model NSX, but had a problem spending that much money on a car that has less power than some SUV's.

As far as the "wow" factor, I can tell you that both cars get their share of looks.
I would say that for now the C6 is so uncommon that I have had more looks than with the NSX. That will probably change as more of them are produced.

Both are great cars, both have their pros and cons.....
Let's just all go out and enjoy the one we have.... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Glad to hear such a good attitude. I hate the cocky attitude some Vette owners display. Not all, just some.
Enjoy the new toy, looks great. I personally love the new Vette, just love the NSX slightly more. ;)

Regards,
- Z

I was at work today when I stepped outside and saw a nice silver C6 driving along in the rain and I had to do a double take...it really is a much nicer looking car than before.

I just ran a 12.53 at 112 mph at Moroso with my Auto C6.

Here is a pic of the new Z06. I like the C6 so far. I have a Corsa Exhaust on the way.

Z06%20race.jpg

fangtl said:
Wow, that Z06 front end is a blatant rip of the 550.

Your right, the new ZO6 nose does look like a Maranello. Then again, most manufacturers steal styling tips from one another.

However, I will still probably consider getting a new ZO6. I just wish Chevy would put a quality interior in the car. I definitely would pay a $5k premium if the interior was similar in quality and design as the high end imports. I really hate GM interiors!

Best wishes to the new C6.

What really annoys me the most is someone bashing something I happen to like, or just purchased. If I asked for advice, then comments from both ends are welcome.. but maybe that's just me. IMHO: i do like the new vette a lot, but hearing how the Z06 version is coming soon, I would prefer to get that model instead depending on the price and statistics. In either case please post a review/thoughts about the car because I look forward to your personal evaluation of the C6 from a previous NSX owner.

Well,

I have owned four NSX's. 93, 94, 97, and 2000. Here are some of my observations so far.

The C6 is significantly quieter at cruise with less wind noise than any of the NSX's I have owned.

The forward line of sight though MUCH better than the C5 is still horrible compared to the NSX. You feel more confined and it takes away some of your confidence. The big windshield and small hood of the NSX is what I loved most about the car.

The seats in the C6 though comfortable (I drove the car 800 miles the first day) don't hold a candle to the NSX's. The NSX seats are a wonder to behold. They are amazing. They only have two adjustments and IMHO beat ANY car out there. I’m not saying the C6 has bad seats. On the contrary, they are up there with the best of them. Just not in the same league as the NSX’s.

The outward view is about equal to the NSX but the Corvettes back glass is warped a bit.

The Bose radio in the C6 plain kills the NSX’s. It can also read MP3 disks which is a plus for me. 165 songs on one disk is a plus. It also has a 6 dish in dash changer, XM radio and navigation.

Nothing compares to the sound of the NSX IMO. The C6 though it sounds better than a Mustang doesn’t touch the NSX. I have never been the biggest fan of muscle car sounds. I hope my Corsa exhaust gives it some more exotic sounding personality.

The look of the C6 is amazing. They shortened the front and rear overhangs and pushed out the wheels to the ends of the car. The new interior and exterior are hand and foot over the C5. You wouldn’t catch me dead in a C5. I think they are plasticy and cheesy. The C6 is shorter than the new 911 by an inch or too! I love the Xenon’s and the interior lighting is bright as hell.

I don’t think I could live without the HUD anymore. It is the most amazing invention. I can’t even put into words how much I love it. It’s like Tivo or DSS. Maybe even food and sleep 

The Power of the C6 borders on the feel of my Viper GTS back in the day. This thing is a monster. It feels so much faster than even a supercharged NSX it isn’t funny. I guess that’s the 400 feet pound feet of torque talking. I know a supercharged NSX would be about even with my car or even beat it, but the feeling of brute acceleration is very high in the C6. I have an auto four speed with the performance axle BTW. I am pulling low 4.0’s to 60 and mid 12’s in the ¼ at Moroso in West Palm Beach.

Breathless performance put a 150 shot NOS kit in the C6 and it running low 11’s. All this for under 2k installed.

If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to ask.

I think the NSX is and will always be my favorite car. I just need gadgets and power at the moment  The long list of gadgets in the C6 including the keyless entry and HUD are really cool. Not to mention the C6 is only 20 pounds heavier than the NSX-T and has 400hp and 400ft. I guess I’m not wild about the plastic fantastic body of the Vette. It does smell like a boat when I get in it.  But, I can live with it until a new NSX comes out!

Take care!

nsxrock,

I am glad you are enjoying your C6 thoroughly. I hope I did not come across as bashing your new purchase as this was never my intent.

I was just expressing my opinion of GM's interior design and quality, which generally is not favorable.

However, there is no doubt that the new C6's interior design and quality is substantially improved over the C5. I had two 03' ZO6s and hated the interior. Then again, Chevrolet spent all their R&D money where it counts; the engine, driveline and suspension. I just wish they would charge a few grand more to put higher quality materials in the interior. I for one would gladly pay the premium.

By the way, thanks for the comparison of the C6 vs the NSX.

Last edited:
I *almost* did the same thing. I LOVE convertibles. I miss being able to just drop the top in a few seconds like I could with my Miata or Z3. The idea of a Z51 'vert with a power top and a 6-speed was so tempting. I really need a new car as my NSX is getting on in years, and I don't want to keep putting miles on it. Also, being my daily driver, it just wasn't reasonable for me to mod my NSX the way I'd like to. So, the new Vette seemed like a great way to go.

But!

After a few months of deliberating, I'm keeping the NSX and buying a second car as a daily driver. In April or March, I'll be picking up my new BMW 330i Sport (even though the dealership can't order the new 3's yet, my order is going in as soon as it can).

After putting in all the work to make my NSX like new, a cost I couldn't ever count on getting back on a sale, I figure I've just got too much in it to let it go. If I got the C6 'vert, I'd have to sell the NSX. Now I can supercharge the NSX, let it sit in a shop getting the engine built, etc... and still have a car to drive around.

I love vettes, but if I put some more serious time and money into the NSX, I guarantee you the "power" won't be "stuck in the 90's" anymore.

K.O. said:
That my be because the C5 and the Nsx to some look alike and have similar performance. Also, because some people cross-shop between a used Nsx and a new Corvette. A lot of people out there only look at numbers so paper comparisons are abundant. Its like the 350Z vs 3.0L Nsx. They are apples and oranges but many threads out there.

Umm, ya no shit apples to oranges. The only place a 350 beats an NSX anywhere is on an invoice.

Good Luck on the C6.... I agree with some of the previous posts... The C6 is pretty rare now...but give it a few months.... I owned a 03 Vette and enjoyed driving it.. although I liked it....I didn't love it... There were just so many around. I just purchased my first NSX yesterday... a Black 91 with cream interior.. and I must say "It was love at first sight". Yes.. the C6 has the horsepower... but honestly... How many times are you going to utilize it...
For day to day.. or weekend to weekend... driving... I'm still sold on the NSX.

I just purchased my second NSX-- a '98 Yellow Targa 6spd.
I paid as much for my NSXused as a new Vette. I did consider
the new Vette, but once I sat in it at the delaer, I found it still somewhat cheap looking inside like previous models. Also, the same very low seating position further exaggerates the hood length, making the view of the road almost nonexistent-- although not as long as a Viper.

I've always loved the seating position in the NSX- all road, all the time. The interior of the early NSXs holds up very well. I don't think we'll be saying the same think about the Vette interior in a year or two.

The Vette exterior also left me less than enthusiastic. It looks like a 2004 on steriods-- kind of stout and a bit puffy. The lower hood is definitely reminiscent of the NSX.

Anyway, I made my choice and I'll join the less than 300 owners of a '98 NSX in the US.

Good luck with your Vette.

Larry T

Back