• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Separated at Birth!

7uzezu6e.jpg

zu5egeby.jpg

Damn ugly Lexus, who came up with this stupid hour glass shaped grill?

If you believe this article from Lexus Enthusiast then it was the Lexus GS lead designer Katsuhiko Inatomi. If you believe this article from Car Scoops then it was Yasuo Kajino, group manager in the Lexus design center:

Lexus-1.jpg

The Lexus Insider article (based off this Automotive News article which you might be able to read only once before it requires a subscription to access) acknowledges that slimmed-down smaller committees of "styling experts" now sign-off designs like these. It says it's to prevent committee-think of top-level executives for which "it is unlikely that you will create a failure, but also it is unlikely to deliver an epoch-making design." Makes a hell of a lot of sense now how designs like these come to be. I continually wish that "car people" were signing off designs nowadays and not these "styling experts" who don't dress & think like "normal" people.

Note that both the Automotive News and Car Scoops articles reference the Acura beak in their discussions about the controversial Lexus spindly grille. And this article from Lexus itself has some amazingly funny (IMHO) marketing spin on the spindly grille.

Last edited:
Lexus must be trying to outdo Acura for front ends that only a Mother could love

You know, ironically, while it might have taken forever, I have found that the horrible Acura beak/shield that I hated so much has finally evolved into something that I actually like. They toned it down enough to where it looks clean and tasteful.

acura-tl-2014-redesign-178.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

this current gen of predator/samarai face lexus mouths are not too hot at all. too over the top where it doesnt look classy no more.... while the 2104 mdx is probably my fav value/dollar suv.

Damn ugly Lexus, who came up with this stupid hour glass shaped grill?
- - - Updated - - -
These new Lexus grills are UGLY...................

You know, ironically, while it might have taken forever, I have found that the horrible Acura beak/shield that I hated so much has finally evolved into something that I actually like. They toned it down enough to where it looks clean and tasteful.

Not me. I still hate it. It does look a little better on the new NSX, though.

acura-tl-2014-redesign-178.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

Personally, if the grill area were color matched it would look far better.

Yinzer you really have an eye for these things. I give you my stamp of approval.

89ebf02b9aee5fa3b921970afe518184.jpg

3552102fbbd71335d1cd17d54ebf5119.jpg

Mystery Science Theater 3000 and my kitten Murray watching hockey.

Back