• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap Ring (Transmission) Broke Today - Advice Appreciated

>If you are referring to Mechanics Direct Modifiers, they have been advertising in NSX Driver and here on NSXprime, and offer discounts on performance mods to members of the NSX Club of America, so those are three ways that NSX members in the Boston area might find out about them...

I am indeed, and I think it's great that Mitch and Curtis are now regular members of the NSX online community and offer their knowledge and discounts to us all. At the time I found the shop and posted to the NSX mail list ('99 I think as I was living in Chelmsford at the time), they weren't even on the net, I just happened to drive by one day, noted the Honda/Acura sign outside and stopped in. Now that he has his own NSX, that's all the better :). See you soon, Mitch!

MiamieNeSeX, Like I said 15-20 post earlier I plan on taking my car to Bernie so no more conviencing is needed.

"I'd consider the house clutch(AM) that Davis Acura sells if I were you."

pbassjo I didn't know they offered a house clutch. When you say house, is it custom? He did not inform me when I stopped by.

thanks & goodnite nsx-ers.

nsxtasy said:
If that's how much Davis is charging for Bernie's time, that's a steal.

Here are typical rates around the Midwest, where most things (other than the New York Times) generally cost less than along the East Coast:

Independent mechanic, Chicago area: $72/hour
Acura dealer, Milwaukee area: $80/hour
Acura dealer, Chicago area: $90/hour
Acura dealer, St. Louis area: $100/hour

I think comparising the labour pricing isn't the only issue. Imagine the cheapest could be the priciest because of the more hours he counts.:mad:

I think you have to look at the price you have to pay for a good installation job (the whole thing, labour and installation). If it's done right, choose the cheapest. Perhaps it will be the one with highest price for labour but done in less time.

nsxexotic said:
MiamieNeSeX, Like I said 15-20 post earlier I plan on taking my car to Bernie so no more conviencing is needed.

"I'd consider the house clutch(AM) that Davis Acura sells if I were you."

pbassjo I didn't know they offered a house clutch. When you say house, is it custom? He did not inform me when I stopped by.

thanks & goodnite nsx-ers.

I believe it is custom . I'm not sure what it is based on. I think ACT. Ask.

K sorry guys for being off topic..

but does anyone know if the snap ring range number applies to all NSX around the world since they are not in sequential order of VIN codes...or does this range J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978 apply to only U.S. NSXs

I have a 91 X and i check my transmission number on transmission and it falls below the range of J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978...

side note

if the range is good for all NSXs..then does anyone know what the first transmission number is..

I was reading on why transmission fail that fall in the snap ring range...

my question is how long is the life of the bit in terms of numbers

eg.. if you had a transmission number of 1003540. this number is below the range but is it really safe ..?

I live in Edmont,Alberta,Canada and my X is a Canadian X..

NCC-1701D said:
K sorry guys for being off topic..
You're not off topic...

NCC-1701D said:
but does anyone know if the snap ring range number applies to all NSX around the world since they are not in sequential order of VIN codes...or does this range J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978 apply to only U.S. NSXs
That range of transmission numbers applies to all NSXs made for all markets. The transmission numbers are numbered sequentially, and are unique across all markets and years. So those transmission numbers are roughly the 3542nd through 5978th NSX five-speed transmissions built worldwide. They started going into NSXs for all markets at the same time. As you know, the transmissions are not necessarily placed in the cars in the same order as the transmissions were built, so you have to check the transmission number, not the VIN, to be sure whether or not it's in snap ring range. But to give you an idea of how the VINs vary by market, the snap ring transmissions started going into '91 US NSXs around roughly VIN MT002500 or somewhere around there, and into '91 Canada NSXs around roughly VIN MT800250 or somewhere around there. The VIN sequences for the U.S. and Canada change the letter and start over from 00001 for each model year, so snap ring transmissions went into '92 models at the start of the model year around VINs NT000001 and NT800001. In some other markets (e.g. Europe), the VIN sequence does not start again at 00001 for each model year.

NCC-1701D said:
I have a 91 X and i check my transmission number on transmission and it falls below the range of J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978...
Then it is not in the snap ring range.

NCC-1701D said:
my question is how long is the life of the bit in terms of numbers

eg.. if you had a transmission number of 1003540. this number is below the range but is it really safe ..?
Yes, because the transmission cases were being manufactured properly outside of that range. In other words, a transmission number of 1003540 should be no more susceptible to snap ring failure than a transmission number of, say, 1001200.

Back