• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So just what price will an NSX be in 5 years?

If you can get a manual coupe 91-95 with 50,000 - 100,000 kilometres on it in Australia, and there have been virtually none advertised in the past 12-months, you would expect to pay $100,000 - $120,000. This is for a standard car in very good condition.

These prices have almost doubled in the past 4-years. Obviously there is a much larger NSX pool in America which might not see the same level of growth, but I think they will continue to appreciate, especially with the introduction of the new model. I should add, the new model is tipped to sell in Australia for $420,000, thanks to government taxes etc!!!

Cheers,

David

MLCNx, Are Aussies going overseas to pick up NSX's? Does the age make it possible to register a Left Hand Drive car out there?

I wonder how high mileage coupes and 02 converted coupes will fare...

I think a very difficult question to answer is what do collectors/buyers consider "high mileage" for a 25 year old Honda product? More than 50K miles? 100K? More?

I wonder how high mileage coupes and 02 converted coupes will fare...

I think the 02 converted coupes are neither fish nor fowl and will sell at a significant discount (unless all the original parts are included).
I would think the same would apply to highly modified cars (body kits etc.)

Another influence on earlier model NSX's, which could factor into future pricing, is imported Japanese/Euro. spec'd NSX's. Current pricing had been strong in Japan until recently, and with the "relative" ease of importation I'll be curious to see how this plays out over time.

Another influence on earlier model NSX's, which could factor into future pricing, is imported Japanese/Euro. spec'd NSX's. Current pricing had been strong in Japan until recently, and with the "relative" ease of importation I'll be curious to see how this plays out over time.

A good question.
There's a RHD on eBay now for $55K ask.
No bids and I doubt it will sell for any premium over the LHD market.

If a RHD has only been available in Japan (or UK/Aus etc.) then it's unique in a LHD market.
We've seen this with imported Skyline's from Japan and they sell.

But if a car has been readily available in both RHD and LHD form why bother buying the opposite side steering wheel?
It's different but not unique or collectible.

I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way. People who want NSX's are not coming from that generation where it has to be all original/stock. JMHO.....

Agree with you completely on where demand is coming from, it's younger buyers.
However we're talking about pricing and that involves supply and demand.
Cars with the highest demand sell for the highest prices and stock units (or with all stock parts included) have the widest market base and the lowest available supply.
Collectors want stock, and those wanting a solid base car to modify prefer a stock starting point so highest prices go for stock units.

The more modifications that have been done, the fewer number of buyers will be interested in that particular car with those particular modifications.
For example a wide bodied highly modified NSX will have a smaller number of potential buyers.
And those buyers will tend to be younger with less disposable income so prices will tend to be lower.

So while I agree that young people are the main demand base, supply and demand will set price not demographics

I'm guessing these numbers are in the thousands? On Hagerty's site, they have similar numbers here:

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/market-trends/market-rating/August-2016

But do they equate to a $ figure?

correct the $s are in the thousands.
the numbers are similar because Hagerty is what I am using as my objective 3rd party reference. Only the 5/10 yr projects are my own guestimates.

A well modded car with rare parts that cannot be obtained will do well in value. I think they will end up being the equivalent of manufacturer special editions to some degree but to a lesser dollar amount. '02 conversions on the other hand are likely to just be viewed as tainted NSXs as the years roll by in my opinion.

Hagerty is behind the market on their estimates, because prices are going down in 2016, not up. The market is very slow, especially following the lackluster results of the Monterey car auctions.

That being said, the Gen 1 NSX's time to shine will be with the next period of market growth. Values already became pretty strong in 2013-2015, but in 2017 and beyond I see this becoming a bona-fide collector car as '91's approach 30 years old (yes that's right, count 'em :)).

As far as the argument for modified vs. stock, younger buyers will always tolerate or even desire modifications, but those buyers are looking for deals at the lower end of the spectrum (high miles or already modified cars). The collectors willing to pay serious money for these are going to want the cars stock and original, like in any other collector car market.

The Acura dealership where I serviced my car just asked me if I want to sell my car, and I said, no way Jose!! I probably make some profit if I sell it.

Look we all love these cars because they're excellent drivers, look sleek and are super reliable........but at the end of EVERY day it's still gonna be a Honda. Everybody agrees, it's a great car for $40-55K....over $60,000 it's a horrible investment when there's much better high end European options avail for that kind of money for long term investments. No clue who's driving up some of these cars to $70-100K, but to be blunt and honest...they need their f*cking heads examined. Even the most hardcore NSX fans admit it's NOT a $70-100K vehicle.

Look at some the recent air cooled Porsche 911 prices......even that market has QUICKLY started settling back down a little. EVERY single 76-88 Porsche 930 was selling WAY over $100K....now many of them are back down selling around $60-$70K. Granted you're still gonna have a million morons on EBay asking a king's ransom for their 930, but what the cars are actually selling for is WAY less. If the NSX is heading towards a similar "bubble", I feel REAL sorry for hopeless fool who gets stuck paying over $100K for an NSX when the music stops. He'll NEVER recover what he overpaid for it. Same thing that's happening to the guys who paid $120-150K for Porsche 930s. You would think that the housing market crash would have taught fools and their money a hard lesson on over speculating haha.

In most cases buying a car as an investment is not a great plan. The same could probably be said for investing in property in a place that most likely won't have enough water to wash your dick in a few years.:cool:

And another valuable lesson to all......don't fall for SHILL BIDDING on any car....

Example:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/371725216372

Sketchy bid history will always give it away. Notice the obvious $10,000 (even) bid increments every time? Notice the bidders always have high bid histories with all of these sellers (especially dealers). Same cars keep getting relisted over and over again. Shill bidding has sadly become the norm on EBay as well as many other auction houses to falsely create over inflated prices to astronomical figures. Which in turn causes mass hysteria that fools have to run out and overpay in order to attain that vehicle. It's been happening in every hobby/market for years.

These cars were $88k cars 10+ years ago when new and most haven't returned to that price yet.. As these cars get older, parts are discontinued and clean low mileage unmolested examples are harder to come across you will see prices eclipse $100k. I agree for now these are not $100k cars, but it will not be long before they are.
What better European options are available for $70k, excluding high mileage euros?

P.S. There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Look we all love these cars because they're excellent drivers, look sleek and are super reliable........but at the end of EVERY day it's still gonna be a Honda. Everybody agrees, it's a great car for $40-55K....over $60,000 it's a horrible investment when there's much better high end European options avail for that kind of money for long term investments. No clue who's driving up some of these cars to $70-100K, but to be blunt and honest...they need their f*cking heads examined. Even the most hardcore NSX fans admit it's NOT a $70-100K vehicle.

Look at some the recent air cooled Porsche 911 prices......even that market has QUICKLY started settling back down a little. EVERY single 76-88 Porsche 930 was selling WAY over $100K....now many of them are back down selling around $60-$70K. Granted you're still gonna have a million morons on EBay asking a king's ransom for their 930, but what the cars are actually selling for is WAY less. If the NSX is heading towards a similar "bubble", I feel REAL sorry for hopeless fool who gets stuck paying over $100K for an NSX when the music stops. He'll NEVER recover what he overpaid for it. Same thing that's happening to the guys who paid $120-150K for Porsche 930s. You would think that the housing market crash would have taught fools and their money a hard lesson on over speculating haha.

the price of objects that are not made anymore are priced according to supply/demand....there is less correlation with what the object is, but rather the perceived value is based on comps and the intangibles of our human desire.Just like stock the prices will fluctuate over time.....the key to investing successfully is sticking to your parameters when to buy/sell and patience, conviction in your research/timing.

If the "Honda" brand will hold these cars back, then explain prices of the Toyota 2000 GT. Much rarer car, but clearly not held back by the nameplate. And that's a car being traded among collectors who grew up when Japanese cars were looked down upon, imagine how things will change when 80's and 90's kids have real money.

Honda is not a brand to scoff at, and I can think of a few reasons why.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cha_001_pho.jpg
    cha_001_pho.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 646
  • F1 Senna 90.jpg
    F1 Senna 90.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 640
  • flwh9pdddljd6fknblrh.jpg
    flwh9pdddljd6fknblrh.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
You guys need to separate yourselves from the emotional connection because YOU happen to own one of these cars....so of course you would love nothing more than to see people pay $200,000 for an NSX!

Only problem is....the potential buyers who don't currently own the car are laughing at what a few select buyers have been overpaying for an NSX. I deal with club members from almost every major car club on the west
coast and not a single person I asked would ever pay much over $50-55K for a used NSX. At $70, $80, $90K you're now in Porsche, 80's/90's Ferrari, and BMW territory. Not saying every single
example of those cars are better quality than an NSX, but to true collectors, those brands as well as many other are placed way above Honda. Fair or not, it is what it is.

How many of you guys cheerleading that people should overpay would go out RIGHT NOW and pay someone $80-100K for their used NSX with 50,000-70,000 miles?? Lol! Let's see a show of hands?......exactly. You know damn well you would never do it, so why should other people be clamoring to do it? I just paid $66,000 for a 1989 Porsche 930 (5 speed) with only 57,000 miles on the odometer, perfect condition. That's an example of a much better option to invest in, especially when these cars were just selling for over $100K a couple years ago. Prices on many "bubble" cars are starting to come back down to earth a tad. Now is a horrible time to overpay for a used NSX with high miles. You can either heed the warning or fall victim to another bubble.

You guys need to separate yourselves from the emotional connection

That violates the key reason for cost inflation of cars.

I was down at Kissimee and watched Ford Mustangs run across the block for 6 figures. It was all about the emotion of owning a car they connected with when they were young. Making stupid emotional decisions is what drives these collector car prices!

There is also the increased cost of vehicles. Minivans are now $50,000 cars and new mustangs can run over $125,000 at a dealership. It baffles me personally, but the bar has raised on how much people are willing to spend for 4 wheels. When put in to that context, yes - I can see a potential buyer dropping $100,000 on a NSX. Certainly not all NSXs, many of them will cap out at the $50-60k price point like you said - but the really nice cars will command that price point in my humble opinion.

To add to Blue's points (which I agree with), we aren't talking about the "high miles" cars here, we are talking about collector examples. Look at collector-grade E30 M3 prices compared to high miles or modified cars, there's a huge difference. Same with 930 Turbos.

On the "bubble" idea, there are periodically bubbles in the car market, but that doesn't mean that the general trend isn't upwards. Nobody is buying a 930 Turbo, even today in 2016's down market, for what they were available for ten years ago. Yes, there was a rush on buying that led to a bubble on those cars, but ultimately they've come out way ahead of where they were before the bubble began. I know, we've had three 930 Turbo Carreras in our garage since the mid-2000s, all of which I wish we'd kept longer.

Anyway, the NSX is a special car, and there is an entire generation that was raised on Hondas and Japanese car culture. Those are the guys that are going to drive the overall pricing of these cars up in the coming decade.

That violates the key reason for cost inflation of cars.

I was down at Kissimee and watched Ford Mustangs run across the block for 6 figures. It was all about the emotion of owning a car they connected with when they were young. Making stupid emotional decisions is what drives these collector car prices!

There is also the increased cost of vehicles. Minivans are now $50,000 cars and new mustangs can run over $125,000 at a dealership. It baffles me personally, but the bar has raised on how much people are willing to spend for 4 wheels. When put in to that context, yes - I can see a potential buyer dropping $100,000 on a NSX. Certainly not all NSXs, many of them will cap out at the $50-60k price point like you said - but the really nice cars will command that price point in my humble opinion.

No question I agree with you as far as SUPER low mileage examples in any sports car....but I was strictly talking about some of these people who think their 60-70,000 mile NSX is gonna bring them $80-$100K.....Insanity. But with VERY low mileage cars, value wise, anything is always possible no matter what make or model it is.

Back