• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sold your NSX to Get What?????

Been toying with the idea of dumping my NSX and getting a 991 Turbo or possibly a 997.2 turbo (manual). Although the rear seats are small, having a couple kids under the age of 5 make it more practical. I don't really enjoy my NSX anymore due to family obligations pretty much every weekend. It would be nice to have the OPTION of taking the wife and kids in a fun car rather than only being able to take the NSX when I'm going somewhere solo (which is very rare these days). What do you guys think?

Been toying with the idea of dumping my NSX and getting a 991 Turbo or possibly a 997.2 turbo (manual). Although the rear seats are small, having a couple kids under the age of 5 make it more practical. I don't really enjoy my NSX anymore due to family obligations pretty much every weekend. It would be nice to have the OPTION of taking the wife and kids in a fun car rather than only being able to take the NSX when I'm going somewhere solo (which is very rare these days). What do you guys think?

Those kids grow up awfully fast, I wouldn't do it. I purchased a Focus ST as a family /beater sports car for that purpose. When the kids get too big for those back seats (which will happen wickedly fast), dump the 4 seater sports car. Much more practical.

Sold my '91 awhile back and got into a '09 Lotus Exige S, fun toy but not nearly as refined as the NSX and overall had less driving enjoyment. Then I was able to make the jump into a '14 GT-R Black Edition, ive written here about the comparisons before, in general I dont think there exists a great comparison. The performance is astounding in the GT-R and the overall usability is fantastic, with my winter set of tires I drive it year round in the rain, sleet and snow of Oregon. That being said one can not understate the driving pleasure that the NSX offers as anyone who has driven one can attest. It remains the only car I regret selling. I have around 60k miles on the GT-R now and I have been finding myself seriously thinking of getting into a Gen2 NSX... I have yet to drive one though sadly. Id love to hear if anyone has driven both what their thoughts are (GT-R vs Gen2)....

decisions decisions....
2a4yd7l.jpg

Those kids grow up awfully fast, I wouldn't do it. I purchased a Focus ST as a family /beater sports car for that purpose. When the kids get too big for those back seats (which will happen wickedly fast), dump the 4 seater sports car. Much more practical.

I hear ya..... All I'm saying is that having a car that sits doesn't make any sense (anymore).

I hear ya..... All I'm saying is that having a car that sits doesn't make any sense (anymore).

G -

Interesting post, I would have thought you're a lifer at this point. If you've driven the 991 Turbo S cars, they are insanely fast. In a straight line, the sensation is even more vicious than my 560 whp NSX. However, I got the sense that I'd be bored with that car as my "fun car" because it was so GT in archetype. That being said, if the plan was to actually get use out of the car, rather than on limited occasion, I think you know what the answer is. I personally have debated this same issue, and hence why I've had cold feed on the sale or no-sale of my build. I love it, but with my schedule, family obligations, etc.... it has just become a really expensive toy to look at.

With your weather climate as well, the 991 is a great bet. Extremely fast, AWD, roomy, and aesthetically gorgeous, IMHO. The 997.2 is no slouch, and likely a better store of value as compared to the 991 for now. (Full disclosure as a RennLister and multiple P-Car owner).

Cheers, hit me on FB if you wanna chat more.
Ravi

I didn't sell my NSX for the second gen. I sold it to put a down payment on house after 4th kid was born. When I started looking for clean late model 2002+ and asking prices started hitting 6 figures I took a hard look at the second gen... Once I got wind of the massive discount (thanks prime) I pulled the trigger. Still miss my '96 but I LOVE this new one....

MC

2017 Berlina Black Acura NSX
2105 GMC Yukon Denali
2003 Mazda Miata
1995 Mazda Miata #02
2008 Chevy Corvette Z06 (sold)
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2015 Jaguar F-type R (gone)
2011 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)

Sold my '91 awhile back and got into a '09 Lotus Exige S, fun toy but not nearly as refined as the NSX and overall had less driving enjoyment. Then I was able to make the jump into a '14 GT-R Black Edition, ive written here about the comparisons before, in general I dont think there exists a great comparison. The performance is astounding in the GT-R and the overall usability is fantastic, with my winter set of tires I drive it year round in the rain, sleet and snow of Oregon. That being said one can not understate the driving pleasure that the NSX offers as anyone who has driven one can attest. It remains the only car I regret selling. I have around 60k miles on the GT-R now and I have been finding myself seriously thinking of getting into a Gen2 NSX... I have yet to drive one though sadly. Id love to hear if anyone has driven both what their thoughts are (GT-R vs Gen2)....

decisions decisions....
View attachment 149737

It's a tough decision. There are pros and cons to both. I just sold a 2015 Alpha 9 and there are many things you do give up such as being able to use the GT-R for everything in all sorts of weather conditions and not worry or feel bad about it. There's no question the NSX is not a practical every day car due to the lack of a usable trunk, back seat, and storage compartments. My opinion after driving 400 miles home in the NSX is that it is also not the best road trip car between the two. High speed stability also goes to the GT-R. In triple digit speeds, the NSX is a little scary at times compared to no drama, smooth sailing in the GT-R. I would say, the NSX is comparable to my old S2000 where a second car is needed for daily driving whereas I had no problem using the GT-R as a DD.

That said, the NSX is much more balanced and feels more nimble even though both cars are similar in weight. Even my passengers have noticed that difference between the two. Nsx is a fun car and definitely better to look at than the R35. Would recommend that you consider what you'd be giving up before making the switch. I don't regret making the switch but did sacrifice some things in doing so.

Last edited:
It's a tough decision. There are pros and cons to both. I just sold a 2015 Alpha 9 and there are many things you do give up such as being able to use the GT-R for everything in all sorts of weather conditions and not worry or feel bad about it. There's no question the NSX is not a practical every day car due to the lack of a usable trunk, back seat, and storage compartments. My opinion after driving 400 miles home in the NSX is that it is also not the best road trip car between the two. High speed stability also goes to the GT-R. In triple digit speeds, the NSX is a little scary at times compared to no drama, smooth sailing in the GT-R. I would say, the NSX is comparable to my old S2000 where a second car is needed for daily driving whereas I had no problem using the GT-R as a DD.

That said, the NSX is much more balanced and feels more nimble even though both cars are similar in weight. Even my passengers have noticed that difference between the two. Nsx is a fun car and definitely better to look at than the R35. Would recommend that you consider what you'd be giving up before making the switch. I don't regret making the switch but did sacrifice some things in doing so.

I appreciate the feedback... thats really interesting to hear about the high speed stability, I would have thought they would be pretty close if not the NSX edging the GT-R out. What tires are on your gen2? You bring up some good points on usability, if I do make the switch I would for sure have to get a little Toyota truck as a commuter/beater. I guess I have just gotten a bit bored of the GT-R, I want something exciting that feels special when I walk up to it and drive it. If I lived by a Mclaren dealer id consider the 570s but as it stands now thats not really viable. Hopefully I can find someone local to get a ride with and that will help me with my decision. I fear these amazing deals I have been seeing might be gone by then though...

I appreciate the feedback... thats really interesting to hear about the high speed stability, I would have thought they would be pretty close if not the NSX edging the GT-R out. What tires are on your gen2? You bring up some good points on usability, if I do make the switch I would for sure have to get a little Toyota truck as a commuter/beater. I guess I have just gotten a bit bored of the GT-R, I want something exciting that feels special when I walk up to it and drive it. If I lived by a Mclaren dealer id consider the 570s but as it stands now thats not really viable. Hopefully I can find someone local to get a ride with and that will help me with my decision. I fear these amazing deals I have been seeing might be gone by then though...

It's not unusual to hear GT-R owners say the car doesn't hit its comfort zone until it hits 80mph and I found that to be true as well with a sweet spot somewhere upwards of 11x. I ran all-season Dunlops on the GT-R and also have the all-season Contis on the gen 2. Not sure if they make a difference vs the Trofeos in feel but the Contis are very sensitive to input at high speeds which takes some getting used to. I wouldn't say it's all over the place but it gets your attention.

One other thing that's pretty obvious is the transmission goes to the gen 2. The automatic mode is actually usable whereas the GR6 was a paddle-only car if you wanted a frustration free drive around town. I know what you mean regarding getting bored with the GT-R. It's definitely not that with the gen2.

Good luck with the the search. The deals are out there.

Last edited:

As an NSX owner myself with zero kids at the moment and going to be purchasing a home soon with my fiancé, I agree with this.
Especially living in Chicago with a guaranteed minimum 5 months of storage for the winter.

My near future post may be "sold my NSX to get a.....new house". :confused:

As an NSX owner myself with zero kids at the moment and going to be purchasing a home soon with my fiancé, I agree with this.
Especially living in Chicago with a guaranteed minimum 5 months of storage for the winter.

My near future post may be "sold my NSX to get a.....new house". :confused:
Say it ain't so, Jim! For all of you guys, Jim's a friend of mine, and his fiance and mother-in-law are BOTH onboard with him KEEPING the NSX! I've told him that's half the battle! It may be inevitable, but I've been nudging him to keep the NSX. Anybody else want to help me and offer him words of encouragement to keep the car?!

Say it ain't so, Jim! For all of you guys, Jim's a friend of mine, and his fiance and mother-in-law are BOTH onboard with him KEEPING the NSX! I've told him that's half the battle! It may be inevitable, but I've been nudging him to keep the NSX. Anybody else want to help me and offer him words of encouragement to keep the car?!

Since Jim's car is an automatic, he should sell it and then buy a manual after he buys a house. :smile:

F-Type V8. No regrets (usually).

Nice cars but I’m most impressed with the stacked sub woofers next to the NSX..
exactly! And can't wait to see the amps diving them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

decisions decisions....

personally, having driven both several times each, i would take the new NSX all day over the current GTR. but i've also never been a fan of the GTR to be completely honest, even when they were new. the GTR may have a slight edge in performance (impressive considering its age) but the NSX is definitely fresher and more refined. the NSX also has more composure at speed in my opinion, less movement under loads. and if nothing else, it's a new car, it should take you a while to get bored with it... :wink:

Back