• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sport Compact Car

A little disappointed.
So I just picked up the Sport Compact Car issue August 2204 and am not likeing what I see.
That the SOS NSX 2:01.2 was beaten by a Nissan Sentra SE-R1:59.3 and completely spanked by the Nissan Skyline GT-R 1:54.2. Any ideas why the SOS car was so slow? Why didn’t Chris drive the SOS NSX. Not trying to be unkind, but what’s up with that?

Ps. I use my real name....

There is a thread here on prime about why the sos car placed where it did-do a search.Also Andrie H. was chosen by Chris as he is a known quick pilot who has lots of nsx experience.

The SOS car was not dialed in in time. Also, you have to realize power/weight ratio as well as track type. Even the SE-R is only 5 seconds slower than crazy prepped Skyline GTR with crazy HP. With the aero tune on the SOS nsx, I think it could have beaten the SE-R at a track like Laguna Seca. You also have to consider that the SOS car is a product demonstration vehicle for his business, not quite like the fully dedicated Realtime NSX race car. There are too many undisclosed variables in this shoot-out to really get all overly dissappointed IMO.

Ok Ok

That’s what I thought. The SOS NSX even has a stereo and Nav system. Just curious.
We are talking thousands of dollars here. Striped down, all race cars is what I am getting here.

Michael, it's nice to meet you yesterday, but as you see, on a race track, a driver does make a difference on track time and speed. Andrie is one of the most experienced and fastest guy on Prime here and I guessed it's the reason the Chris let him drive the car, plus having a professional doing the driving would be much easier for Chris then him concentrating on other logistics and his business while running the car on track.

The SoS also had problems thus not making enough HP as it supposed to... thus it affects the whole balance of the car.. think about it's wide body and wider sticker tires, even the suspension is tuned for the stage that making more power...

As far I know, it's not even gutted and roll caged for track use...

NSX rules right?
YES!! IN Stock form, and if you had been on the track, it's just amazing. For its balance and quality and also the way it stay in shape...

an Intergra? and a Celica? and a Supra?
It doesn't really matter what car it is, it's how much money you put into it... hate to say that, your car goes faster when you put more money in it. (The real question is how much faster, that is how wisely you put them in the car) If you look at a true race car, even a 1.6 L civic can offen harrass the state of the art Ferrari, by utilizing matching gear ratio, slick tires, Light weight body & more powerful engine...etc.

Take FactorX's F50 NSX to the shoot-out and see how different the result going to be. Or Gerry Johnson's built NSXes.

NSX/MR2 said:
Take FactorX's F50 NSX to the shoot-out and see how different the result going to be. Or Gerry Johnson's built NSXes.

Straight line capability doesn't equal to fast lap time. Axis wheels Ferrari 360 beat out most of the competition and it's closer to stock than most of the cars that were entered. I wonder if these high HP NSX's have the chasis that is capable of handling that HP and still be balanced. You need the overall balance to be truely fast.

BTW, comptech car ran 1.xx second slower than the sos car.

As for sentra and integras beating NSX, it happens all the time. Look at the HP/weight ratio and it's no surprise.

ak said:
Straight line capability doesn't equal to fast lap time. Axis wheels Ferrari 360 beat out most of the competition and it's closer to stock than most of the cars that were entered. I wonder if these high HP NSX's have the chasis that is capable of handling that HP and still be balanced. You need the overall balance to be truely fast.

BTW, comptech car ran 1.xx second slower than the sos car.

As for sentra and integras beating NSX, it happens all the time. Look at the HP/weight ratio and it's no surprise.

FYI,

The Comptech car was driven by Kip Olson (the owner of the car) and that was his first time ever at Buttonwillow.

His laptimes would have been much lower if he had the chance to become familiar with the track earlier. Unlike professional drivers, for us mere mortals it takes some time to get used to a new track. With practice I'm sure that Kip's times might have been lower.

He does 2:00 at Thunderhill (that is really fast), so I'm sure that with practice he could have broken into high 1:5X's at Buttonwillow.

Ken

BTW: I completely agree about the FX50 or Gerry's car possibly not doing that great at the track, as many have tried to explain to NSX/MR2 many times at the track it's not about raw HP numbers or straight line accelaration, but he won't get it until he takes his car to the track and get's spanked by a Spec Miata, just kidding, LOL. But very likely to happen just like it has happened to many of us in the past :)

The Ferrari had an ultra hot shoe from what I understand.

The SER is a purpose-built track only car with a turbo.

The NSX is a street prepped car. I personally think tires and the driver make the biggest difference - granted that everything holds up - and that the 20 - 50hp here and there don't matter as much as stick and driving skill.

-Justin

The magazine made it sound like it was a comptech car rather than personal. I'm sure everyone who competed in the event is good drivers(whole a lot better than me anyhow.)

Back