• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

***STICKY*** Gen1 NSX Current Market Analysis

Thanks for all the work you've put into this Eric, and I look forward to the updates going forward as your database grows :cool:

Cheers in 2020!
Brian

I was just thinking about this on the Gen 2 side. FB Market place has these ranging from about $100k to just over $200k for sub-10k miles. Obviously I'll need to learn more about the trim differences, but this is a wild swing in prices for somewhat "new" cars with very low mileage.

Hi

Great stuff, really illuminating. Interested to note that modifications have no apparent effect on value, do you have a gut feel about that? could it be valued mods are counterbalanced by mods that detract

in Graph set 3 you have a column graph 'Count of NSX Type'. What are the columns?, both are labelled as Count, I'm guessing its last year and all years but this is a guess.

Thanks everyone!

I was just thinking about this on the Gen 2 side. FB Market place has these ranging from about $100k to just over $200k for sub-10k miles. Obviously I'll need to learn more about the trim differences, but this is a wild swing in prices for somewhat "new" cars with very low mileage.

Check this thread for the Gen2 version of my analysis, it is tracking depreciation and updated every time one is sold.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/209529-Gen2-NSX-Current-Market-Analysis

Hi

Great stuff, really illuminating. Interested to note that modifications have no apparent effect on value, do you have a gut feel about that? could it be valued mods are counterbalanced by mods that detract

Thanks!

I had no idea what results would emerge when I first created the modification levels, but here is my interpretation of the key results:

I always summarize mods by saying that modification decrease the potential audience of an NSX, they don't necessarily decrease value.

• There is no significant difference between Level 1 and Level 2, therefore the market treats few simple mods (custom wheels, exhaust) the same as 100% stock.
  • On the other end, full custom builds of level 5 appear to command much more than a stock NSX (limited data). These NSXs are labors of love and more like individual pieces of art than the nominal stock NSX.
  • However, light to heavy mods have a higher standard deviation than close to stock. Therefore, there is a higher variability in the strength of the sale price for light to heavy mods. This supports your point of "valued mods are counterbalanced by mods that detract".
  • Level 3 (Light Mods) appears to be hurt the most by mods. These NSXs don't command the "piece of art" premium of a full custom build, but aren't sought after by collectors either. This results in weaker sale prices.

in Graph set 3 you have a column graph 'Count of NSX Type'. What are the columns?, both are labelled as Count, I'm guessing its last year and all years but this is a guess.

That graph shows the count of Automatic (A = blue) and Manual (M = Red) NSXs of each type in the database. It is meant to be a visualization of relative commonality. I hope that clears it up; thanks for asking.

Thanks everyone!

Check this thread for the Gen2 version of my analysis, it is tracking depreciation and updated every time one is sold.
[]http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/209529-Gen2-NSX-Current-Market-Analysis[/]

Thanks!

I had no idea what results would emerge when I first created the modification levels, but here is my interpretation of the key results:

I always summarize mods by saying that modification decrease the potential audience of an NSX, they don't necessarily decrease value.

• There is no significant difference between Level 1 and Level 2, therefore the market treats few simple mods (custom wheels, exhaust) the same as 100% stock.
  • On the other end, full custom builds of level 5 appear to command much more than a stock NSX (limited data). These NSXs are labors of love and more like individual pieces of art than the nominal stock NSX.
  • However, light to heavy mods have a higher standard deviation than close to stock. Therefore, there is a higher variability in the strength of the sale price for light to heavy mods. This supports your point of "valued mods are counterbalanced by mods that detract".
  • Level 3 (Light Mods) appears to be hurt the most by mods. These NSXs don't command the "piece of art" premium of a full custom build, but aren't sought after by collectors either. This results in weaker sale prices.

That graph shows the count of Automatic (A = blue) and Manual (M = Red) NSXs of each type in the database. It is meant to be a visualization of relative commonality. I hope that clears it up; thanks for asking.

I very nicely modded NSX red 92 with 133K miles just sold today for $39,000 on Bat
1991_acura_nsx_1576779723ada4d93c1c4MVIMG_20191013_175727-620x413.jpg

Crazy seeing how long some of these cars sit on here for sale.....are you really trying to sell a car if it's been up for sale for over three months? Some have been on here for over a year.

Sold mine on here in less than a week, because I asked a realistic price..... sorry, but you're not getting $60k for a 1992 with 65k+ miles

I notice the ones that actually sale on here are priced right...the ones that sit on here for months are not. It's that simple

Most of the people here are brainwashed. They base the value of the car on how much Honda charges them for OEM maintenance and parts. The ones that sit around forever at a higher price actually work like real estate in a neighborhood, it's high tide for all of us that actually enjoy driving the car and modding it.

Crazy seeing how long some of these cars sit on here for sale.....are you really trying to sell a car if it's been up for sale for over three months? Some have been on here for over a year.

I notice the ones that actually sale on here are priced right...the ones that sit on here for months are not. It's that simple

If you sold your NSX in under a week, you almost definitely sold it for too little. The NSX is not the kind of car that moves quickly, no pun intended.

If you sold your NSX in under a week, you almost definitely sold it for too little. The NSX is not the kind of car that moves quickly, no pun intended.

Not at all.... I've had three of them over the last 17 years, I know a little bit about these cars and the correct market prices and have never took more than a month to sell any of them...My last car sold quickly because it was one of the nicest looking cars on here well maintained and was priced right.
I asked $43.5k and accepted $42k for a car with 144,000 miles ... I paid $25k for it 6 years ago. I was quite happy what I got for that car and got out of that car. Go look at the BaT site, you'll see these cars are not going for $50k+ unless they are low mile minty examples..... just cuz someone is asking $120k on Autotrader for their 2004 doesn't mean they'll actually get that or that a 91 with 50k miles is worth $60k....it's not.

If you know how to price your car it will move quickly....it's the people asking for the moon that the car sits on here for months..and gets bumped every month usually with a new lower price.
Look at all the ones that have been on here for more than 2-3 months. The market is not as hot as it was a year or two ago.

I hear you on that. That said, I've waited for the right buyer and had several cars not sell for 2-3 months. Sometimes it takes the right person to fully appreciate what you have and be willing to pay for it. Regarding your thoughts on marketability, I like to keep in mind not everyone is looking for the same kind of sale nor are they looking for the same kind of sale. Glad to hear you got what you were asking. No shortage of people who price their cars high who have nothing special. For those of us that do, it would be foolish to try to sell the vehicle too quickly to the wrong person. $.02

While my car is NOT for sale, my guess is that a one owner car, all maintenance up to date, no stories with about 85,000 miles on it, is probably a $70,000-75,000 car..............if someone was to approach me, and offer $120,000, I could be convinced to sell it. As the old saying goes, everything is for sale, it's just a matter of price. I agree, the cars that are priced properly, move...........when people ask more than "market", whether it be NSXs, or real estate, it will just sit there!!!

The ones that are six figures tend to sit for a while on Autotrader. I think one guy in Connecticut has had the same 3 '02+s for awhile now. Once you start asking 120+ for these cars you start hitting on NC1 territory and I don't care how nostalgic you are it would be hard to justify paying that for a Gen1. On the flip side cars priced at 50-60 may move quicker for now but mark my words once the new Vette hits the streets that market will soften.

MC

The market will continue to soften as more and more Japanese cars from the 90s are legal to import. Most of them tend to be very low mileage too. Why would anyone want a bone stock 91 NSX when they can get an R33 GTR with the same mileage for half the price?

The market will continue to soften as more and more Japanese cars from the 90s are legal to import. Most of them tend to be very low mileage too. Why would anyone want a bone stock 91 NSX when they can get an R33 GTR with the same mileage for half the price?

Why? Because the NSX will look just as awesome in 20 years as it does after 30 years. The Datsun not so much. Nice having the steering wheel on the proper side too. Also, if Nissan doesn't get it's act together, good luck getting parts going forward.

Because some of us actually drive our cars, and the NSX is not worth 100k compared to what that money can buy in today's market.
Because the NSX will look just as awesome in 20 years as it does after 30 years. The Datsun not so much. Nice having the steering wheel on the proper side too. Also, if Nissan doesn't get it's act together, good luck getting parts going forward.
There are plenty of cool looking cars. I was looking at an Accord Aerodeck last night. Just because it looks cool doesn't mean people will want it.
Parts for all cars get scarce 10 years after end of production.
Datsun and Nissan are two different companies.

Last edited:
Nissan isn't going anywhere. You sound like the Supra people upset about the new one being a BMW.
I don't understand how people here defend a huge mark up on a 30 year old car that everyone here is afraid to drive, yet they bitch about how shit the new version is lol.

I am not afraid to drive mine, and I like the new one. I expect Toyota fans like reliable low maintenance vehicles. They are apprehensive that the Supra will not continue this tradition.

The idea that a new Corvette will affect the prices of a 30-year old Honda sports car, or that the legality of a RHD mid-90s front-engined AWD twin-turbo coupe will affect the prices of said car, or that the new twin-turbo AWD dual-clutch transmission NSX will affect the prices of said car, represent what are known as "bad takes"... :confused:

NSX prices are primarily affected by how badly people want NSXs. Actual cross-shopping might happen with a contemporary 964/993 911, or something like a Honda S2000 for those who are into the Japanese cars. Not RHD Japanese imports or new sports & supercars.

Last edited:
Trying to justify 100k for a Honda that was designed in the 80s is a 'bad take'.

Nobody is trying to justify that, we would all like to buy a pristine NA1 NSX for $10k if it was possible.

But, if you look up the laws of supply and demand, you'll soon find that the market prices for NSX are not determined by owners, or a Greek god in the sky who is in charge of setting NSX prices.

Prices are determined by the intersection of what buyers are actually willing to pay and sellers are willing to sell for.

This is not a Ferrari 250 GTO, where only a few dozen exist in the world and sellers can be greedy to "control" the market because no others exist for sale.

There are around 9,000 NSXs originally sold in the USA. They sell at auction all the time, purchased by real bidders who put their money on the line to purchase the cars.

If you are upset with the pricing of NSXs, you are upset with the concept of free markets, not me or anyone else who owns these cars.

Back