• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Subaru WRX STI ?

Ric

Experienced Member
My DD over the year has been either Honda civic or accord because I like Honda and most of the time , they are so reliable it's boring. Toyota makes great car too but I have never been a Toyota man, so I never consider their cars even though I really like their Lexus IS250/350. If the IS was badged as an Acura TL, I would have bought it instead of buying my 2006 civic back in, well, 2006, which has been my DD for the past 7 years. It's about 85k miles now and so far, besides regular oil change and brake pads, the battery is the only thing I replaced. Thing is, it's so damn slow that it's frustrating sometimes, so I have always thought about buying something else a bit faster for DD duty and it has to be a 4-dr sedan, not hatchback. I have always like the Subaru WRX STI 2006-2007 model years. Small, compact and fast. They are fast enough from the factory without any modding and can be had for about mid 20k for around 65-70k miles these days. I don't know much about Subaru and its probably not as reliable as Honda/Toyota, but I wonder if it's reliable enough for DD duty as well as my weekly drive from San Diego to Orange county. I know it looks too boy-racer but I dont care.

I am considering between the 06-07 STI and the TL type S previous generation but leaning towards the STI since its AWD.

Any of you primers owned this model year STI before or have any experiences with them? Reliable or headache?

Hawt !!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362894176.523283.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362894187.407158.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362894197.497824.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362893422.141601.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362893422.141601.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 105
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362894153.644206.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362894153.644206.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 102
A friend of mine owned one. He had his share of problems before he got rid of it. Might want to search the NAISOIC forums for a better idea though.
http://forums.nasioc.com/

Also, for DD? The STi gets 18 mpg city/ 24 hwy... not really a good commuter car if that was your plan..

I have always like the Subaru WRX STI 2006-2007 model years. Small, compact and fast. They are fast enough from the factory without any modding and can be had for about mid 20k for around 65-70k miles these days.
I wouldn't buy a 6-7 year old car with 65-70K miles without a warranty for $25K, if I could buy the same model brand new with no miles and a warranty for $34K.

Last edited:
I had a 2006, brand new, for years. Put about 100k miles on it, and the only problem it had was the rear window randomly exploding a bit after I got it. That was fixed under warranty.

Best car I've probably ever owned. Towed a 12' enclosed trailer with my karts and racing gear in it, no problem at all (2000 lbs or better). AWESOME in the snow with a set of blizzaks, you can go anywhere. Very fast even in stock trim, and mileage not horrible (23mpg average I think). I recommend them to anybody. If I could only own one car, I'd still have it. Practical, fast, and an excellent daily driver.

I wouldn't buy a 6-7 year old car with 65-70K miles without a warranty for $25K, if I could buy the same model brand new with no miles and a warranty for $34K.

I feel like I've seen them at dealers for more like 38-40 nowadays. My brother bought a new STI back in 2005 however for 31. And, the Subaru warranty is crap (wife has an Impreza) and the cars are reliable enough that you'd never need the warranty - just like Hondas.

I dont have an sti but I do DD an 02 wrx. It has 180k on it. Was stock when i bought it w 140k. I used to put 150 miles a day. Only issues i've experienced was a bad fuel filler sensor. And the radiator went. But the motor is still strong and pulls hard to the redline.
Not as reliable as honda, but close.

I too like the WRX STI but they do ride a bit harsh as a DD if you have along commute. Other than that it seems to be a terrific car for the enthusiast minded driver. Unfortunately (for me) it only comes in a 6 speed manual and the WRX only comes in a 5 speed manual. For my commute, Bay Area traffic 80 mile round trip, I need an automatic to survive. So I had to cross them off the list.

I like the STI but could never justify the cost off them. Kids have the prices so inflated I'm not interisted in one. If your getting a deal on one its beat to death. If you do find one that's not they want more crazy money for them. 38-40k for an STI lol no thank you.

There was some JD Powers or Consumer Report a few years ago that listed Subaru 2nd most reliable car after Honda/Acura.

My brother and sister shared an Outback and it had 300k miles. Only thing that they did was replace the clutch once and A/C compressor.

I'd say that qualifies it as reliable.

The fit and finish is a little more unrefined and simple compared to Honda/Acura. But since it's roots are rally car and outdoor type of utility I'd say its appropriate.

For a DD I lean towards comfort and space and low end TQ.... hence why I roll either my truck or the GTO.

There is a big difference between an Outback and an STI. One gets groceries put in the back while tooling kids back and forth to school band practice the other gets jumped over railroad tracks and 8k clutch dumps from kids that seen to many Ken Block videos.

But I agree for a DD I lean towards comfort and space and low end TQ.

Last edited:
These STi's are going for a lot these days because the new ones are pigs (weight wise). Lots of fan boys are buying up the old ones.

My default track buddy has a 05' and it's a beast on the track. I can't imagine using it as a DD though. For $25-27k I bought a brand new BRZ with warranty, better mpg, and the new car smell.

BTW: If you're set on an AWD these STi's have a better interior than its econobox counterpart the Evo.

Last edited:
I have a 2011 sti as my dd. the gas mileage as others have mentioned, is horrific. My avg over the 9000 miles I've put on the car since it was new is 16.4mpg. My worst tank was 13mpg and the best was 22.2 (absolute best case flat hwy in 6th gear for an entire tank) The AWD is great though. I agree that they cost way too much used. If I didnt live 7 miles from work the gas mileage would probay be a deal breaker for me. My 400hp turbo nsx gets better mpg.

Last edited:
Their pretty reliable if you keep them stock.
Gas mileage isn't the best.
I had a pro tune on mine and was getting about 20 city 28hw.
360hp/400tq
But it threw a rod and now it's in the shop getting fixed. =/
Planning on selling it for a nsx.

Funny, I was just looking around at STi prices today and thought hmmm... seems pretty high priced. I had been looking for an E46 vert over the winter, but of course prices jumped by quite a bit now that it's warmer out. Almost pulled the trigger on an 06 6MT vert with 50K miles for $18K. Now 04s with 70K are in the low 20s. I want something reliable with a manual transmission, fun to drive, with a back seat for under $20K. May just keep my boring RL for now and try for the E46 again when prices come down next winter.

Back