• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supercharger kit differences

Hi all,

regarding a Baschboost Supercharger kit. Can someone tell me what the differences between 91-94 throttle cable car and a 95 onwards drive by wire set up would be? Or in otherward, what would I have to change if fitting an early car kit to the 95 up?

Thanks,

Gary

Thinking of Amo's one?

Hi all,

regarding a Baschboost Supercharger kit. Can someone tell me what the differences between 91-94 throttle cable car and a 95 onwards drive by wire set up would be? Or in otherward, what would I have to change if fitting an early car kit to the 95 up?

Thanks,

Gary

i think only difference is you would have to use a full standalone AEM vs the FIC piggy back

i think only difference is you would have to use a full standalone AEM vs the FIC piggy back

Thanks....

If using a standalone ECU such as the AEM then would I be correct in saying that I'd potentially lose cruise control, traction and maybe other functions?

As you have a 2000, what is your set-up/experience? What fuel management do you use?

My car is a 96 so it's DBW but here in the UK it is an OBDI. There is no large data-connector plug. I think US 96's may be OBDII?

Last edited:
I would think you would want to go with the FIC if simplicity is what you're after.

If you're using a stand alone with a DBW then it gets more complicated, as the AEM won't control the throttle body.

You can go with Autowave's AEM EMS setup, I believe it's a proven system that uses both the AEM and the factory ECU to make it work. It's not cheap, but it's turnkey and from a very reputable source.

I'm not sure what aftermarket EMS will control the factory TB (as it's a stepper motor type, and not a PWM controlled), perhaps someone can chime in.

Or there's the "old school" solution of converting from DBW to a cable, since OBD2 compliance isn't an issue, but that can be kind of a pain too.

AEM standalone does lose traction control, but it keeps cruise control. If you have OBD2, though, I don't see why you would need anything more than the FIC.

Pretty sure the mechanical components are the same.

Ok thanks for the input.

So if I have this right......

The AEM EMS would do away with the factory ECU all together and this is fully mapable in it's own right. Using this disables the Traction. It is not compatible with the DBW throttle.

The EMS seems to be the choice for 91-94 cars with the throttle cable set-up.

The FIC is a piggy back used in conjunction with the factory ECU. The FIC is used to distort what the factory ECU sees from the various sensors in order to modify fuel & ignition curves closer to what the car actually needs with a supercharger blowing. The DBW still operates as the ECU is still there to read it's inputs.

So to summarize, does that mean that DBW (OBD1 or 2) cars needs only an FIC? Non-DBW use the EMS?

The exception to the above being if you have a DBW car, you can go aftermarket EMS (AEM in this case) only if you either revert back to a cable throttle body or get the Autowave modified DBW/EMS set-up?

For some reason the UK cars are OBD1 and DBW and with O2 sensors before the CATS only. ie only 2 on the car.

I'm trying to determine whether to buy a kit or not that has been running with the AEM EMS. Just don't know if I need it....

What are the downsides of the FIC route as it "appears" the easiest?

Many Thanks

Gary

Last edited:
Back