• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tablet/PC for the NSX - help me choose

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
I posted this in another thread but I figured it's better here.

In the quest for the perfect dash setup i've been considering a tablet to be an all-in-one solution. Can you guys help me figure out which one is the best tablet to use?

1. Is capable of accessing Pandora, Google Maps, Yelp, email, etc. This means it needs to connect to the Cellular and/or Wifi network right and a corresponding monthly service charge?
2. Has a USB capable of reading from a USB-Serial cable
3. Can run Windows based software to access an Engine Management System
4. Is small enough to mount in an NSX w/o looking out of place

Any help would be much appreciated guys!

Most of the tablets are 9" + and would look out of place in an NSX.
None of the 7" tablets I'm aware of has a full size USB port.

I know the Toshiba Thrive 10" and Viewsonic G-tablet have full size USB ports. But they're all running Android. Both have 3G + wifi. I think people are trying to get windows 8 to work on Android tablets.

The Viewpad10 has a usb port and runs both android and windows, as it has dual os. Doesn't list 3G on there, but has wifi, and you can get a 3g version.
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vpad10.htm
Looks like this tablet would suit your needs, only issue that it's big for some sort of dash setup maybe.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the same.

The Toshiba Thrive you mentioned has a special today for a refurb unit of $260. GPS with google maps, full-size USB, decent processor and memory, but Android OS.

I don't think you need full windows to run AEM software. Just .net? Researching this now.... I'd like to make this work.

Dave

I think Windows or Mac is needed to run AEM Tuning Software.

AEM has an X-Wifi Wideband and EGT controller. It basically lets you read / monitor the AFR and EGT on an Iphone, or some Droid Phones. But they don't seem to have tuning software for anything but Windows or Mac. Your device must support ad-hoc mode.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/x-wifi-35/

Last edited:
You could ask these guys:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

If they are willing to do a similar sort of mod on one of the newer 11" Macbook Air machines. I could see mounting that, possibly running OS X or Windows (whatever your tuning software requires).

I may have found one finally. Though still not capable of tuning AEM Software unless AEM comes out with an App.

Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304058404577492760881761278.html

Asus-Google-Nexus-7-Tablet.jpg

My question is do you AEM Tune often enough that you need it permanently mounted in the car?

Said another way... active configuring versus active monitoring AFR, EGT, barometric pressure, moon phases, etc...

I'd go with the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tablet setup discussed on the A/V thread here on Prime (too lazy to search for it), its a nice setup

and separately use a Windows Tablet for tuning and keep that in a pocket behind the passenger seat (ask Coz, he used AEM tuning on my ASUS Windows tablet to tune his car awhile ago, just have to get used to using a stylus or your finger for menu navigation)

My question is do you AEM Tune often enough that you need it permanently mounted in the car?

Said another way... active configuring versus active monitoring AFR, EGT, barometric pressure, moon phases, etc...

I'd go with the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tablet setup discussed on the A/V thread here on Prime (too lazy to search for it), its a nice setup

and separately use a Windows Tablet for tuning and keep that in a pocket behind the passenger seat (ask Coz, he used AEM tuning on my ASUS Windows tablet to tune his car awhile ago, just have to get used to using a stylus or your finger for menu navigation)
I hope not but to answer your question.. Yes. I plan to use an F/IC on an OBD1. I'll be married to the AEM software for a while.

My Zeitronix data logger also communicates seamlessly with Windows. Having a Win based OS allows me the extra convenience of monitoring all my external gauges via USB. Until these various companies make an Android app, i'm still SOL.

Yes, my solution has been to carry my spare laptop in the passenger seat. Super inconvenient since it needs to be turned on to data log. :frown: At the track I need to find some ghetto way to strap it down or I can't pass tech inspection.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab is a good option.

This officially supports Windows 7 now... mounting it shouldn't be hard, and tuning should be easy with the pen:

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro

Based on a 13" Macbook.

And of course, it can be equipped with an SSD, for robust data logging in any and all environments (including a speeding car!)

Last edited:
This officially supports Windows 7 now... mounting it shouldn't be hard, and tuning should be easy with the pen:

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro

Based on a 13" Macbook.

And of course, it can be equipped with an SSD, for robust data logging in any and all environments (including a speeding car!)

Where is he supposed to put that? In the roof? LOL

Where is he supposed to put that? In the roof? LOL

They could probably be convinced to do a one-off/prototype based on the 11" machine instead.

Or, mount a SFF (nano-ITX) windows PC somewhere in the car and remote into it from the tablet to access the AEM software.

All depends how much you want to $pend :)

They could probably be convinced to do a one-off/prototype based on the 11" machine instead.

Or, mount a SFF (nano-ITX) windows PC somewhere in the car and remote into it from the tablet to access the AEM software.

All depends how much you want to $pend :)

LOL... OK thanks for the practical cost effective solution... I think you should get back to investigating DSP's. :tongue:

LOL... OK thanks for the practical cost effective solution... I think you should get back to investigating DSP's. :tongue:

You're welcome :cool:

Seriously though if someone has a contact at AEM they should ask what the plan is (if any) to support iOS and Android. Tuning on a Windows box has got to be a drag.

If they don't want to do it, they should just document their protocol so that 3rd parties could implement it on any platform.

I think it's all nuts. I can't wait til Ryu goes into 7-11 to get a slurpee and his girlfriend advances his ignition timing by 10 degrees at WOT because she was tired of the same song on the radio station.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......

I think it's all nuts. I can't wait til Ryu goes into 7-11 to get a slurpee and his girlfriend advances his ignition timing by 10 degrees at WOT because she was tired of the same song on the radio station.

That is a little extreme, but I imagine it would be nice to be able to quickly load different "profiles" from the driver's seat. A lot of newer cars have a sport button that change the behavior of the suspension, TCS, and the engine tune. No reason you can't have your AEM system load up a different map for street vs. track or something.

It's like you read my mind!
You're welcome :cool:

Seriously though if someone has a contact at AEM they should ask what the plan is (if any) to support iOS and Android. Tuning on a Windows box has got to be a drag.

If they don't want to do it, they should just document their protocol so that 3rd parties could implement it on any platform.
+1 on this
That is a little extreme, but I imagine it would be nice to be able to quickly load different "profiles" from the driver's seat. A lot of newer cars have a sport button that change the behavior of the suspension, TCS, and the engine tune. No reason you can't have your AEM system load up a different map for street vs. track or something.
This is exactly right. On top of all the adjustable items you mentioned I also have a valve actuated exhaust where if you "press race" it will also open up the exhaust as if you were running test pipes. With this scenario you will definitely have to have a different fuel/timing map since my street configuration will be quiet and restrictive (and CA legal) on the exhaust with full TCS. AEM has a (-) trigger wire when if grounded it will trigger a different map. Relatively easy!

It's like bringing the NSX into the 21st century. Like I said... you read my mind!

It's like bringing the NSX into the 21st century. Like I said... you read my mind!

Look forward to seeing what you come up with. I will probably end up with an F/IC when I do RDX injectors and would be very interested in switching between "street mode" and "track mode".

Valve actuated exhaust... now that sounds cool. Is it a custom one-off? If not, who makes it?

Sometimes I wish my car was old and ran on OBDI junk. :biggrin:

Sometimes I wish my car was old and ran on OBDI junk. :biggrin:

Funny, sometimes I wish my car was 2000 or newer because in a year or two the CA emissions program is going to start "visual inspection only" for 2000+ cars. Something about the state being broke...

But they didn't make em in purple in 2000. Darn me and my favorite color.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with. I will probably end up with an F/IC when I do RDX injectors and would be very interested in switching between "street mode" and "track mode".

Valve actuated exhaust... now that sounds cool. Is it a custom one-off? If not, who makes it?

One off of my design. No one wants to engineer one even though it makes complete sense and BMW, Ferrari, Lambo, et, all use them :(

Why? In this case you could simply plug in a scan tool and got a bunch of data for free!

It's a bunch of crap data I don't need. It's slow, and it tells me nothing about fuel pressure, EGT, AF ratio, AIT's, oil temp, nothing. It tells me RPM thats 2 seconds late and tells me what gear I am in. Woohoo...

I can't run a full stand alone because it will never pass... that's why I wish my car was old and junky like yours. :biggrin:

Back