• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tail of the dragon 4/13-4/15

Charles,

I've heard the Cherohala Skyway (close to the dragon) is less crowded and an even better drive. A little faster and less twisty....

http://www.cherohala.org/

What's your thoughts on it please?

Dave
I'm actually leading a 200 mile group drive that includes the skyway and the dragon. Like I said the dragon is only one road. There are several group drives and many roads to drive. Fontana village is the place to stay. You turn left out of there and it takes you right to the dragon. The roads all around the resort are amazing. I'm telling you once you go you will go back every year

Charles,

I've heard the Cherohala Skyway (close to the dragon) is less crowded and an even better drive. A little faster and less twisty....

http://www.cherohala.org/

What's your thoughts on it please?

Dave

Hi Dave.

Personally. I do the Dragon once and keep going to other roads. I like HWY 28 going up to tthe hwy 129 (the dragon)..Thats one run up to the lookout turn around and go find some other roads. Esp if it's really crazy.

The last good time I was up there. They were running bear yes hunting. Dogs everywhere. Bikes (peddle and motor) and a small Miata club was there. The bad thing though was some of the hunters dropped watermelons or whatever they could fine right in the corners. The cops shut the road down and found the guys how did it. Thats was four years ago. I was there was this August. I was a passenger with no car at all and there were some guys in our group that have never driven that road. So we took them them around. It was pretty open and a good ride.

I'm local to the area and will join in for sure. I've driven with HeySkippy and Hugh, and it is always nice to have fresh faces in the area from my old stomping grounds (Ft Lauderdale).

Like others have mentioned, The Dragon is only one of a thousand roads, that will make you realize you have been living in the wrong state for too long. The Skyway is a great road too, and has to be included in any trip to the region. The high speed sweepers are just the type of turns the NSX was designed for imo. The Dragon is awesome, but I prefer taking corners at speed greater than 30-35. Plus, if you hit The Dragon on the wrong day, you will enjoy the view of all the slow poke's rear bumpers as you sit in traffic enjoying 318 turns in 1st gear. Start your day early and you can reduce the traffic jams. Driving in the early evening seems to increase the driving experience also I've found.

There are several locals around here and I will spread the word of your arrival. I look forward to meeting you all.

Here is what's waiting for you (Courtesy of Killboy).

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_8521.JPG

IMG_9056.JPG

A shot from the Skyway with myself, Toddejag and HeySkippy.
005.jpg

James

Last edited:
We definitely need to make a yearly Nsx meet up here. This is my 5th year up and my 6th time visiting the dragon. The first year I did this we had 204 S2000. My first 2 years I ran the dragon the whole time. Yes it gets busy but its still very enjoyable. Like I mentioned Saturday is the busiest. I plan on arriving with a group Thursday morning. We spend the night in Dillard GA on Wednesday evening and drive through Franklin NC which also has amazing roads.

I think I'm going to plan on making this trip. I haven't driven on nice tight twisties since my last trip there about five years ago.

Anyone wanting to attend this event please register for it under the link in the first post. This will cover your food and you will get the group rate at Fontana. I let the event organizer Raul know that members of Nsx prime will be attending

I didn't realize that this was an official pay for event. What if I don't want stay at the same hotel or attend the dinner? I'll register and pay if it is absolutely necessary.

I doubt I'll stay at Fontana or do the dinner. I'm there for the roads and will be looking for where/when to meet up with other NSXs and drive.

I didn't realize that this was an official pay for event. What if I don't want stay at the same hotel or attend the dinner? I'll register and pay if it is absolutely necessary.
I have always stayed at Fontana because of the location. It's right on the dragon basically and to get food you have to go into town. I like to drive the whole time I'm there and staying there works out best for me. Alot of work goes into planning the event itself. No profit is made on the registration. Anyone is more than welcome to come and enjoy the roads that is free. I'm staying at Fontana because that has the best location and like to hang out. We have a beer swap and a Bon fire. I guess you could go to nsxcapades and not pay and just hang out but to me that doesn't make sense. I would love to drive with the other Nsx guys and meet up but unfortunately there is very limited cell phone service everywhere up in the mountains. It would be very hard to reach people unless you are in town. Like i said if a group of Nsx guys don't want to attend the events and stay somewhere else then no problem at all. Don't feel obligated to join the S2000 event. After all you are there to enjoy the roads. If you have never been up there it might be a good idea to join the group since there are group drives set up

Last edited:
Trust me, I understand about the process of organizing and attending a car club event. I have no intentions of hanging around a formal S2000 event if I don't pay to do so.

Thank you for the invitation.

Did this last year and LOVED it. Best driving event I have ever attended and that includes NSXPOs for the most part because it is so road/driver focused. With that said, it can be dangerous because of the fu#&@& idiots that can't stay between the mustard and the mayo. The morons talking about how fast they went are usually the ones that don't get that they carry speed because they use the whole freaking road without regard to consequences.

Newsflash to line crossers: YOU suck at DRIVING!

Tapaderp

My goal is to get some Nsx involvement and create our own event maybe next year. There have always been a few Nsx at this S2000 event. As with any event when you get 100-200 cars there will be idiots. I have attended this event 5 years and have yet to have a bad experience yet. They do a poker run, several group drives, lunch and dinner drives. Fontana is $79 a night and is right in the heart of the action. You can drive the dragon even when it's busy and it's still fun. Hopefully some will make it up and we can have enough interest in making an all Nsx event or an nsxcapades event up here. Our cars were built for these roads

bleed your brakes lol!!!!

haha, thanks Charles

It wasn't my lines though. My front rotors were a little warped. (that or I'm just a pansy...)

Got them resurfaced last week and waiting to finish putting them back on the car. Broke a caliper bolt when trying to get the rotors off :frown:, so waiting for a new bolt and pin.

You guys get the new turbo in yet?

I think I'm going to plan on making this trip. I haven't driven on nice tight twisties since my last trip there about five years ago.

I plan on driving up the weekend before and enjoying the roads during the week leading up to the S2K event. I'll be staying in Bryson City as usual.

haha, thanks Charles

It wasn't my lines though. My front rotors were a little warped. (that or I'm just a pansy...)

Got them resurfaced last week and waiting to finish putting them back on the car. Broke a caliper bolt when trying to get the rotors off :frown:, so waiting for a new bolt and pin.

You guys get the new turbo in yet?

yep did it saturday..ready to go to the mountains

What the heck, my car could use a good run, If Dwight ever lets it leave his shop -

Who else is going from SoFla.

Sam

What the heck, my car could use a good run, If Dwight ever lets it leave his shop -

Who else is going from SoFla.

Sam

You have to give him money, Sam. Try it, it works.

Back