• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tail of the dragon 4/13-4/15

i dont think its the money with Dwight, he is a class act, the NSX makes him as happy as it makes me. So who am I to take it away...

Maybe the two of you could work out a time sharing arrangement.

Boy do I have some stories about Blacknot at the dragon. :wink:
I'll promise to tell them over a beer while in Fontana.
Ronny, can't wait to see the new ride.

Boy do I have some stories about Blacknot at the dragon. :wink:
I'll promise to tell them over a beer while in Fontana.
Ronny, can't wait to see the new ride.
I can't wait either. Sounds like these guys have no interest in coming to Fontana. It looks like everyone are making their own meet and staying elsewhere. Hopefully I can see everyone at some point while I'm up there

I can't wait either. Sounds like these guys have no interest in coming to Fontana. It looks like everyone are making their own meet and staying elsewhere. Hopefully I can see everyone at some point while I'm up there
No offense intended, but I'm not crazy about Fontana as a location to spend the nights. I would rather be closer to a town in a not-dry county. Also, it's easy to feel surrounded by a giant pack of S2000s. Different for you 'cause you know a lot of the drivers, but I don't.

I would suggest we might pick a time and get NSXs together at the Fontana Dam spillway and drive from there.

No offense intended, but I'm not crazy about Fontana as a location to spend the nights. I would rather be closer to a town in a not-dry county. Also, it's easy to feel surrounded by a giant pack of S2000s. Different for you 'cause you know a lot of the drivers, but I don't.

I would suggest we might pick a time and get NSXs together at the Fontana Dam spillway and drive from there.

I'm not offended at all. I'm glad I sparked interest in getting.g you guys up there to enjoy the roads. We need to plan an event next year for all of us to go. I have always stayed at Fontana for the location. I don't drink or do anything but drive my car from morning till night while I'm up there. It would be great if we can all meet up one day and do a drive together. I'm planning on a 200 mile group drive Saturday away from the dragon.

This will be the first year in the past 10 years that I have not attended this event. I have taken my NSX for several years (since we sold the S2000s years ago), and can say that Raul and his team run an AMAZING event, and it is a very friendly bunch. The funny thing is that my NSX made more runs up and down The Dragon with other people driving it than with me driving it. LOL! :biggrin:

Staying at the cabins at Fontana is great too. It is a real sense of community with that group. Lots of friendly people too. Last year there was even a Spa Yellow NSX there so that my Grand Prix White did not feel lonely. :wink:

By the way....Hell Bender between the cabins and the Deals Gap gas station is almost more fun than any other part. It is less traveled, MUCH faster, and a blast to drive. That is the section I always run when I am there.

I will try but i am working 700 miles from home. Been a while since i was last there and i would enjoy seeing you guys again.

Mike

You should put another post in the Southeast US Region general section as alot of the
locals (and neighbors) may not check the florida section. Damn, i have too much time on my hands :redface:

Mike

OK... I'm sort of getting my act together for this run. Are we registering with the S2K group or just showing up. And, shall we make a list of where people are staying so we can catch up with one another?

Sorry everyone, I am officially backing out. Dianne has family coming to Florida that weekend and I am going to be a dutiful husband and stay by her side.

OK... I'm sort of getting my act together for this run. Are we registering with the S2K group or just showing up. And, shall we make a list of where people are staying so we can catch up with one another?
I have always stayed at Fontana. Its a great location and nice. The benefit if registering is it includes a sit down dinner Sat evening which is nice since its a rural area its convenient. Also it help support the event which is good since alot of work goes into organizing it. There are group drives and so on. I'm leaving 7am Wednesday morning with a group out of Tampa of S2000's. We spend the night in Dillard, Ga. There are fantastic roads from there on through Franklin county NC all the way to the Dragon. I'm hoping you guys decide to join. Even though this event is S2000's its all aabout enjoying the roads. I'm not sure where other people are staying. The problem is up there you have very limited cell phone service so its very hard to get in touch with people unless you are in town. I'm planning on leading a group drive (200 miles) to the Cherohala Skyway on Saturday from the Harley Davidson dealer on US Hwy 129 at the end of the dragon.

Hope it's open by then.

UPDATE MARCH 16, 2pm: The Dragon is closed to thru traffic, but is open from the North Carolina side to the overlook. You cannot go past the overlook or enter the Dragon from the Tennessee side. Looks like it will be closed to thru traffic until Monday. One-lane possibly open then. Worst case is a 3 week closure at the most.

BULLETIN FRIDAY MARCH 16: There has been a rock slide at mile 9.5 on the Dragon and the road is closed. Workers on the scene say the road will be closed at least 6-8 hours and possibly for several days depending on engineer's evaluation.

MudSlide.jpg

I have heard it should be cleaned up by next week. I went 2 years ago when it was totally closed on one end. It was nice since i ran it when they opened the gates at 7am. I had the whole road to myself with no cars approaching since the the other end was blocked

I have heard it should be cleaned up by next week. I went 2 years ago when it was totally closed on one end. It was nice since i ran it when they opened the gates at 7am. I had the whole road to myself with no cars approaching since the the other end was blocked

Cool story bro!!!! I know because I was behind you. Lol.

what route are you guys taking up? I might 3 NSX in Charleston coming up on Friday. We might stay in Bryson City tho.

what route are you guys taking up? I might 3 NSX in Charleston coming up on Friday. We might stay in Bryson City tho.
We are driving up Wednesday morning and staying in Dillard, Ga that evening. Then driving through Franklin Nc tot he dragon Thursday morning and staying at Fontana

We are driving up Wednesday morning and staying in Dillard, Ga that evening. Then driving through Franklin Nc tot he dragon Thursday morning and staying at Fontana

Ok we are looking at Bryson city but not set in stone. Our route would be up !-26 to 40. About 4.5-5 hrs leaving Friday afternoon

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f0aXvGLO1nE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f0aXvGLO1nE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Hey Ron,

What route are you taking from Clearwater to get to Dillard on Wednesday?? I-75?

If you are, depending on when you drive through middle GA, you could stop by my place and use it as a pitstop/break point.

I'm in Warner Robins and live very close to the interstate.
Unfortunately, I've got so much going on lately, I will not be able to join you guys this year.

-jason

*looked it up, if you take I-75, the trip to Dillard seems to be about 9 hours, with Warner Robins being about a 6 hour stopping point, and maybe Lake City a 3 hour stopping point

Let me know if you guys might want to stop by on the way up or on the way down.

Last edited:
Back