• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TESLA cars. Anyone else intrigued?

Loveland, CO and Trabuco Canyon, California
My honey and I were at the Irvine, California Cars and Coffee this past Saturday, July 17, 2010, and I told him I'd be happy if there was a Tesla there, to check out. There was one. :) We talked to the two Tesla reps and the young woman told us about their new showroom in Newport Beach, so we visited it, just for fun. There were five cars there. After learning about them for a while, we were offered a test drive. I was very excited and did take one out for a couple of loops in the area. They are so quick, but so quiet! I missed the growl that normally goes with acceleration, so I was very happy to get back into my '05 NSX, to continue up Pacific Coast Highway for another eight hours of driving. I didn't realize how much I truly enjoyed the sound of the Taitec GT lightweight exhaust. I guess I should have known, since it was one of the first things I changed when I got my car.

DSC_0020100717Tesla.jpg

^This is the one that was at Cars and Coffee, earlier in the day. Here it is getting juiced.

DSC_0026100717PK_Tesla.jpg

^Taken right after I went on the test drive. See the blue hottie in the background? :tongue:

DSC_0034100717NSX.jpg

^My car a little bit later on. We were riding with the top out and getting fried so I pulled under some trees to cool off the roof panel before putting it back in.

DSC_0036NSX_Tanker.jpg

^Shiny tankers are good for something besides gasoline. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Patty,

I like the tesla.

if you lived in colorado, they had something like a 40K tax credit for purchase, which would make the car ~ 60K. not too bad.

it is basically a lotus elise, with a modified body, and an electric drivetrain.

what did they say the range was? I believe the real world range was something like 100 miles (versus quoted 200 miles) i need the car to be able to go at least 200 miles (reliably) without the need for a charge.

Hybrid cars freak me out because they are too quiet. I can't tell if the car is off or on. I imagine an all electric car is the same. Did they say what the range was on the car? I vaguely remember the Tesla car being tested on top gear and running out of charge on the track.

On a trip to California another prime member and I went to the show room and got to try out the Tesla. I have to say I was impressed. The car has wicked acceleration in an eerie kind of way. I actually loved the car. recharging one on the east coast and getting service done on the east coast would be problematic though.

Hybrid cars freak me out because they are too quiet. I can't tell if the car is off or on. I imagine an all electric car is the same. Did they say what the range was on the car? I vaguely remember the Tesla car being tested on top gear and running out of charge on the track.

Range is the basic problem with the Tesla, or any all-electric car. It's probably worse for the Tesla, because when you're doing spirited driving you're using more juice. And if you run out in the boonies you're basically hosed.

Working in San Carlos about four blocks from Tesla HQ, I see them on the road nearly every day. I think it'd be a fun commuter, but even with the credits I don't have that kind of money to spend on such a limited purpose car.

:biggrin: Ha ha. I agree! When I got in the car to start it, I saw buttons, like the red Start button in an S2000, only these are where the shifter would be and they are R, D, and N, I think(?). So, I turned the key, and said, "Is it on?" No sound to tell by. But the dash lit up so I figured I was good to go.

I was not paying close attention to what they said about range, if they even mentioned it. I wasn't there to buy one. They did say I could order one and have it in a few weeks. They also talked more about the S sedan, that will be coming out in 2012.

I bought Tesla stock two weeks ago, and then some more, again, last Friday, after I heard that Tesla is making the motor for a 2012 Toyota RAV4. I was more interested in the feel of the place and how I felt about putting money into a company that my financial advisor told me was like betting at Vegas. I don't like Vegas or gambling but this company gives me good vibes.

Patty,

I like the tesla.

if you lived in colorado, they had something like a 40K tax credit for purchase, which would make the car ~ 60K. not too bad.

it is basically a lotus elise, with a modified body, and an electric drivetrain.

what did they say the range was? I believe the real world range was something like 100 miles (versus quoted 200 miles) i need the car to be able to go at least 200 miles (reliably) without the need for a charge.

They look a lot like the Elise. California gives some credits too, and Jerry (my love) said he thought he heard that Southern California Edison (our electric company) gives some credits, too. That's what I wondered about. How much would my monthly electric bill go up if I had a car to plug in? Sure, you don't have to buy gasoline but they don't run on air. But like I said, I don't want to buy one. I am extremely happy with my hottie blue NSX! I just am excited by this company.

My boyfriend posted this on S2ki.com (we both own S2000s and met because of the car) and I thought I'd add it in here to give another point of view...

"After riding along on a test drive of a Tesla Roadster this past weekend with Patty, I was VERY impressed! :thumbup: The acceleration is amazing (0-60 in 3.2 sec), and smooth as silk with no lag or gears to shift. I also like the way the car slows when you take your foot off the accelerator. Brake use is minimal, and I would love to drive one on the track. They're smaller and lighter than the S2000 (~2700+ lbs). When driving the car slowly, all you hear is the tire noise. However, during acceleration and high speed you hear a whine and the battery cooling system operating. Overall it was a very fun and surreal experience."

Last edited:
The initial IPO for Tesla made the owner an estimated $24million due to it being over subscribed.

I hope Tesla does well. Amazing that Toyota have a relationship with the company.

The initial IPO for Tesla made the owner an estimated $24million due to it being over subscribed.

I hope Tesla does well. Amazing that Toyota have a relationship with the company.

Good for him. I heard he put $70 million of his own funds into the company to keep it afloat a few years ago. It's unusual to hear about Auto company CEO's to take that kind of personal stock and pride in their own company. (we are talking about Elon Musk, right?)

I really hope Telsa Motors takes off in the future and makes some really cool cars.

Last edited:
Intrigued? Yes.

Would I drive one? Certainly.

In the market for one? Not just yet.

Would I replace my NSX with one? Hell no!

Last edited:
Nice photos! Tell us more about them, pretty please.

**EDIT** Oh, I see after clicking on your photo, that it was a Tesla rally you went to this year. Great collection of photos, as yours always are.

Last edited:
**EDIT** Oh, I see after clicking on your photo, that it was a Tesla rally you went to this year. Great collection of photos, as yours always are.

Thanks! :D

I don't think I mentioned it in the gallery, but the reason I got invited to a Tesla Rally is because my house will soon powered by the sun through Solar City...and there's a Tesla connection.

Thanks! :D

I don't think I mentioned it in the gallery, but the reason I got invited to a Tesla Rally is because my house will soon powered by the sun through Solar City...and there's a Tesla connection.

I wondered how come you were there. Okay, how are Solar City and Tesla connected?

I got to see the Tesla before it hit showroom floors. Tesla decided to use my shop (won't say the name of to save my old boss trouble :smile:) for the Dynapak hub dyno, it pulled into the shop without a noise it was the strangest thing...for a moment i thought i had gone deaf.

I WILL say however that the power band on that car is AAAAMMMAAAAZZZZINNNNGGGG!!!! i took a picture of it...but the Tesla rep forced me to delete it hahaha

at top RPM in a quite shop the tesla sounds like a cheesy 80's spaceship sound effect.

for the money, glad i have my car.

Why would you pay 3 times as much for a Lotus Elise that weighs 500 pounds more than a Lotus Elise?

The Tesla's at the ReFuel Event at Laguna Seca can only run a few laps before their batteries overheat and they go into limp mode.

Over priced electric sports car for the street: Maybe.

Electric track day or race car? Never happen in a million years.

I wouldn't guy a Tesla Roadster just yet. I believe for the near term there are many of us in this generation who yearn for a good exhaust note and for the progressive power band of a combustion engine. Electric cars are a great solution for the everyday commuter and once applied in any sort of mass scale it will be great for the environment and good for everyone in general. Though electric cars have waste byproduct of their own as well we have to figure out.

I would like an electric car, like the Tesla Karma or a Honda Clarity perhaps, as a daily driver. But on the weekends give me a big dose of petrol and the lovely tune of an exhaust and that power to weight ratio. Ultimately, I think hybrids and electric cars are the saviors of gas guzzlers (as Leno said). It frees up the use of gas cars for enthusiasts like us.

I would buy Tesla stock but not their sports car. They're involved with the right partners in the industry.

I would like an electric car, like the Tesla Karma or a Honda Clarity perhaps, as a daily driver. .

What's a Tesla Karma? You mean Fisker Karma? That is a hybrid and not an electric. The Honda Clarity is a hydrogen fuel cell, not an electric or hybrid.

The Tesla Roadster is a fantastic piece of engineering. Two of my friends are in line for the Karma which is a hybrid/electric.

fisker_karma_back_1024x768.jpg

What's a Tesla Karma? You mean Fisker Karma? That is a hybrid and not an electric. The Honda Clarity is a hydrogen fuel cell, not an electric or hybrid.

Yes, I'm sorry. I meant to say Fisker Karma and I'm aware that it is a Hybrid. I'm also aware that the Honda Clarity is a Hydrogen fuel cell (which by the way.. is just a charging mechanism for what is an electric power car).

I'm also not saying the Tesla Roadster is a bad car. On the contrary, I think it's fantastic. It's a phenomenal car. It's just not for me. I see it more as being a proof-of-concept for the electric car industry rebirth.

Okay, how are Solar City and Tesla connected?

Elon Musk. He's the Chairman of Solar City.

I didn't know the connection until I asked the Solar City salesperson about whether or not the system we were considering would provide enough power for our needs plus the possible addition of a plug-in electric "like a Tesla." He replied, "Funny that you ask, because Tesla is a sister company."

Last edited:
We are very interested in the Tesla cars. In fact, we (rather I) was looking to upgrade the Passat to maybe a S5. My wife would enjoy a two-door since she can't have a two-seater for another 6-7 years. However, I put the S5 on the backburner because I am interested in the RS5 next year. However, she is also really interested in the Model S Tesla and has said she'd gladly forego a coupe if the Model S does all it claims.

However, with production not scheduled until 2012 (if it even happens then) I'm not sure I'll be able to wait long enough to give it a try. I told her we'd look into a Tesla Roadster in about 10 years, when our two older boys are both off at college and we can get by with her having a two-seater as a DD (although she'll still need a winter car).

That being said, their cars do interest us very much. I wish battery technology was where it needed to be to get 200+ miles out of a charge without driving like "grandpa going to the eye doctor because he's having trouble seeing".

Elon Musk. He's the Chairman of Solar City.

I didn't know the connection until I asked the Solar City salesperson about whether or not the system we were considering would provide enough power for our needs plus the possible addition of a plug-in electric "like a Tesla." He replied, "Funny that you ask, because Tesla is a sister company."

Ah, thank you for the reply. So that was your "in" to the Tesla meet?

A friend just sent me a link to an article about Elon Musk and Tesla...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/business/25elon.html?pagewanted=1&hp
^From the New York Times, dated July 24, 2010.

Back