• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TESLA cars. Anyone else intrigued?

i wonder if they had to pay any royalties to the heirs of tesla for the name ,an amazing inventor and scientist.

I don't know but it's a perfect name for this company. As a scientist, Tesla was one of the most overlooked and underrated scientists ever. Thomas Edison was an idiot compared to Tesla. Yet he is better known. Tesla was a mad genius.

I don't know but it's a perfect name for this company. As a scientist, Tesla was one of the most overlooked and underrated scientists ever. Thomas Edison was an idiot compared to Tesla. Yet he is better known. Tesla was a mad genius.

Scientifically yes. But Edison was a far more brilliant business man. And in a battle between business and scientific prowess you can see which one wins.

Edison. Elephant murderer.

If Lotus was smart, they would offer an electric version of the Elise and Exige.
They already have the cars, they could cut Teslas business in half overnight.

If Lotus was smart, they would offer an electric version of the Elise and Exige.
They already have the cars, they could cut Teslas business in half overnight.

I completely disagree. GM is using a modified Cruz body (sub 20K car) and the R&D costs are enormous. There is no way Lotus could make a profit by selling an electric Elise. Too small, too inexperienced, and limited market.

Tesla is successful as they went all in with electric, and are building the Model S from the ground up. If Tesla was building hybrid cars, only building 2 seaters, and/or modifying existing vehicles (as they did with the Roadster) I doubt that be viable for more than a few years.
-----------------------------

As a note this site is wonkers. I had to post this 3x for it to actually post my reply. Typically the site just deletes all my comments and doesn't post anything. Happens all the time...

Last edited:
I completely disagree. GM is using a modified Cruz body (sub 20K car) and the R&D costs are enormous. There is no way Lotus could make a profit by selling an electric Elise. Too small, too inexperienced, and limited market.

Tesla is successful as they went all in with electric, and are building the Model S from the ground up. If Tesla was building hybrid cars, only building 2 seaters, and/or modifying existing vehicles (as they did with the Roadster) I doubt that be viable for more than a few years.

Good point. That said, Lotus often uses Honda and Toyota engines because they seem to suck at reliability.
Sooooo. What if they took (2) Prius engines, (2) Prius battery packs with a custom quick discharge system.
Done?

Sooooo. What if they took (2) Prius engines, (2) Prius battery packs with a custom quick discharge system.
Done?

LOL... OK put down the Jack Daniels Mr. part-time car designer/engineer. :D

Tesla Vs. Edison

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gJ1Mz7kGVf0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^^ about right...

- - - Updated - - -

model X:

<object width="364" height="235"><param name="movie" value="http://i.d.com.com/av/video/embed/player.swf" /><param name="background" value="#333333" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50119782" /><embed src="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/embed/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#333333" width="364" height="235" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50119782" /></object>

I work in Century City. Pass thru Beverly Hills on a daily basis. I see at least 5 of these a day. Sometime probably 10. I see these more than Audis now.

It's nice to have trunk space in the front and back of the car. The swipe screen center console is slick. Obama is letting us all subsidize each one for sale so might as well buy one now!

I saw 2 of them on the freeway within 1 hour each other. It is becoming very common soon in the Bay Area. Wait until they come out a newer and better version in 4 years :)

I see one a week in Boston. Different ones.

To me it's not a real electric car unless it uses four pancake motors (one in each wheel like the electric SLS Mercedes).

Bringing this thread back up.

Fisker is belly up. Tesla is doing great. They paid off a startup loan from the U.S. government nine years early, yesterday.

Their stock closed at just above $97 a share today. In July 2010, I paid $16.30 and $20.44 for my stocks.

I'm really intrigued now! :biggrin:

Oh, my. Stock is at $129.90 right now. At this rate I'll have enough money to buy the new NSX when it comes out. :biggrin:

I just saw my first Tesla in Sarasota FL. Spoke to someone that said they saw a white one earlier this week. Sharp car. Saw a 1/2 dozen 4 weeks ago when I was in the Bay Area.
I wonder how they would perform on the track? SUV to come 18 months from now. I am a late comer to the stock but still made 25% in the last month. Where the bubble pops is anyone's guess.

The short squeeze is killing those that borrowed.

I saw this Model S at the Denver International Airport gas station (ironic)
Looking at the way it is parked, I now understand why there is hybrid only parking in some parking lots. ( to protect the rest of us)
View attachment 103173

I set in one which was displayed at Northridge/Woodland Hills mall; the red one. This after following one on 405 near Wilshire exit. Three comments.

On the FWY, its wide stand and immediate acceleration was impressive
Ingress and egress is not easy; I banged my head on the roof line. The interior is too high tech for my test
Steel chassis base where the batteries are on the floor. This is not a unibody; the top part is welded

RYU - if you work at Century City you are only a few blocks away from my parent's house. When I visit LA again, I'll give you a buzz for those pending beers LOL!

I was in Mountain View Saturday to see my son who's interning at Google. I realized that Tesla is in Palo Alto, CA and that it's just 5 miles from his condo so I drove over there for a look...

Oh, here's one of my son, too, just before he went in to work a bit on Sunday...

Last edited:
Back