• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The (2nd) Official 2016 F1 thread

...since the first one has seemed to disappear.

In for updates. I went to the Belgium GP last summer. It was an amazing race and atmosphere. Traffic leaving on the other hand, rediculas. What would normaly take 1:10 took us over 5 hours.

I am really hoping the Canadian Prospect Lance Stroll will be riding for Williams. I just saw on his IG that he signed with Williams as a Jr. driver..

One can only hope.

Tyler Alexander dies - 'He lived and breathed McLaren'

BBCSports.com, Jan. 7, 2015

American Tyler Alexander, one of the key figures in the founding of the McLaren team, has died aged 75.

Alexander was centrally involved at McLaren for more than 40 years after being recruited by driver Bruce McLaren to help set up the team in 1963.

He left in 1983, two years after McLaren was taken over by current boss Ron Dennis, but returned in 1989 and worked there until he retired in 2008.

"Tyler was one of the first pillars of our company," said Dennis.

"Bruce couldn't have asked for a sturdier pair of shoulders upon which to help build the team's reputation. Quite simply, Tyler lived and breathed McLaren."

Tyler Alexander facts

The company continued under Mayer following McLaren's death in a testing crash in 1970.

In the late 1960s, Alexander moved to run the company's successful programmes in the US, first in the CanAm sportscar championship and then in Indycar racing, before returning to F1 in 1979.

Dennis took over McLaren in 1981, first running it alongside Mayer before taking total control, and two years later Alexander sold his shares to Dennis and left the company.

He returned to the US to join Mayer in running an Indycar team, which recruited as engineer a young Adrian Newey, now Red Bull's chief technical officer and the most decorated design engineer in F1 with world titles at Williams, McLaren and Red Bull.

Alexander and Mayer were the joint team principals of the short-lived US-based F1 team Beatrice in 1985 and 1986. After its collapse, Alexander returned to Indycar racing before Dennis re-signed him as McLaren's special projects engineer in 1989.

During his final 20 years with the company, McLaren won six drivers' and five constructors' world titles with Ayrton Senna, Mika Hakkinen and Lewis Hamilton.

In a tribute to Alexander on the McLaren website, Dennis said: "Tyler was one of the finest of the old school: hardy, humble and wise, leaving a reputation and a legacy that will remain indelible in the history of international motorsport."

Tyler Alexander facts

Founded McLaren F1 company alongside Bruce McLaren in 1963.
His influence between 1967 and 1971 saw McLaren win all five championship titles and 37 out of 43 races - including, in 1969, an incredible clean sweep of all 11 events.
In 1983, he departed McLaren, reuniting with Teddy Mayer to run an Indycar team in North America.
Ron Dennis brought Tyler back to Formula 1, and to McLaren, in 1989.
Retired in late 2008 after attending every Grand Prix that season, playing an important part in securing the team's and Lewis Hamilton's world championship success.
In the early years of the team, Alexander worked alongside Bruce McLaren and fellow American Teddy Mayer in F1, first as chief mechanic and then chief engineer before becoming a director of the company.

Honda have downplayed those numbers reported on As. I won't get my hopes up too high, but I'm sure Honda have made some improvements on the power unit.
As long as McLaren Honda are consistently in the points this year, that would be a major improvement. If the team can get some podiums or even wins, that would be a nice bonus.

http://planetf1.com/news/honda-downplay-huge-power-boost-reports/

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 12.58.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 12.58.27 PM.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 691
They will have found a lot more power because of the deployment of the MGH-U or whatever its called apparently it just didnt have it for long enough and they ran out of boost down the long straights....
The main issue is how much have the Merc and Ferrari units increased as well

They will have found a lot more power because of the deployment of the MGH-U or whatever its called apparently it just didnt have it for long enough and they ran out of boost down the long straights....
The main issue is how much have the Merc and Ferrari units increased as well

Yes, deployment of harvested energy was their problem, due to overheating, I think it was. We'll soon find out where they fall on the grid.

Well, on Monday we will see who won the Winter development race. McHonda have been making claim of finding over 230 more HP for their PowerUnit. I'm sure the others were not sitting on their hand also!

On the other development front, it seem that the car will be making quite a bit more noise, like before the Turbo era.

Bram

Last edited:
Well, on Monday we will see who won the Winter development race. McHonda have been making claim of finding over 230 more HP for their PowerUnit. I'm sure the others were not sitting on their hand also!

On the other development front, it seem that the car will be making quite a bit more noise, like before the Turbo era.

Bram

I don't think neither McLaren or Honda have been claiming to have found over 230 hp, it's speculation from magazines and other media sources, at least from my understanding.

Last edited:
From Skysports live feed..

Ted has made his way from the pit lane with a story for all you McLaren fans about their partner Honda's progress:

"While most engine manufacturers are here with their bespoke 2016 engine, with which they intend to do the first few races, that's not the case for Honda.

"The power unit in the back of Button and Alonso's car at this test is effectively a mark I 2016 engine incorporating most of the changes Honda knew they needed to make over the winter.

"There will be another new engine, mark II, which will debut for the second test next week and the result of what they learn between the two specs of power unit will be combined into mark III, that they'll take to race in Melbourne.

"So if it doesn't look brilliant for McLaren early on, don't worry, better engine bits are on the way."

To me that doesn't sound promising at all. An unproven engine to begin the racing season doesn't seem like a good idea. Really hoping if works out for them though.

Anyone going to Melbourne for the season opener? I am planning a trip to Australia this year and I think I will be able to make it to the 2016 Australian Grand Prix. It will be my first F1 race ever!

The McLaren Honda sure does sound louder than the Ferrari behind it.

Courtesy of Fox Sports:

On the day it was announced Honda F1 chief Yasuhisa Arai was being replaced, Fernando Alonso’s first day in the MP4-31 saw him complete 119 laps - more than he managed in the whole of McLaren’s wretched 2015 winter.

But while the opening two days of testing appear to have proved the team’s reliability has improved, questions remain over its competitiveness after Alonso finished only ninth, three seconds off Ferrari.

Courtesy of Fox Sports:

On the day it was announced Honda F1 chief Yasuhisa Arai was being replaced, Fernando Alonso’s first day in the MP4-31 saw him complete 119 laps - more than he managed in the whole of McLaren’s wretched 2015 winter.

But while the opening two days of testing appear to have proved the team’s reliability has improved, questions remain over its competitiveness after Alonso finished only ninth, three seconds off Ferrari.

Still early. Button finished, 6th I think on the first day.

Sounds like the Mk1-Mk2 are essentially "test mule" units for what will be the full on race configuration in the Mk3. Now that power is coming along, let's hope handling and aero don't present a problem going forward.

Merc is sandbagging for sure, as they are carring out their Test program on the Med and Soft tires. As usual, Ferrari using Ultra soft tires, they are always fast during the testing and on Friday of the race weekend. I'm sure they have improved the car, however Merc seem to be at a different level.

McHonda, seem to have improved quite a lot, let's hope by Melbourn they'll have everything sorted out and be up there where they belong

Bram

Christian gettin' a bit chummy with Hasegawa and some of the Honda boys during testing.. he seems to have taken an avid interest in Honda all of a sudden .. Hmm ???

Personally I'd love to see Red Bull Honda for 2017

Yeah I agree two teams on Honda power next year will up the game for them, I was reading that McL are not running the full downforce in this test and the final setup for that will be at Melbourne so this test is mostly about the different engine tweaks between each test

McHonda seem's to be up in the top 5 during the last two days of testing....hopefully this will continue thru to Melbourne .
One thing for sure is the car is more reliable .

Bram

Last edited:
I know it's still early days, but I have a strong feeling McHonda is no longer a back marker. Alonso & Button will be scrapping it out with the midfielders at least, and be consistently in the points. I'm hoping for some podiums sooner rather than later.

I think you are correct with your predication....perhaps after the fly-away races, we see some additional improvements.

So far it looks, Merc, Ferrari, Williams, Force India, McHonda and Red Bull are the pointy end of the grid.

Bram

Back