• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The LoveFab Pikes Peak Edition NSX Build Thread...

Thank you Ross and Momin! You've been a huge help!

The PPIHC Committee is against building our own cells. We can, but they want drawings submitted, etc. With time against us already, we are just going to have to make something work in a hurry. Heck, initial testing may be with the stock tank, as we HAVE to get this car on the track so that I can learn how to drive it.

best of luck putting this together.How many times have you been up the hill?

Thank you Ross and Momin! You've been a huge help!

The PPIHC Committee is against building our own cells. We can, but they want drawings submitted, etc. With time against us already, we are just going to have to make something work in a hurry. Heck, initial testing may be with the stock tank, as we HAVE to get this car on the track so that I can learn how to drive it.

Realize that they state "cell"... I was in this same situation thinking the cell is the container.

What makes a fuel cell so safe is the bladder... the box holding it is irrelevant to the type of bladder you have. Bladders are tough as nails.

If you click on atl's website enough you will find a bladder getting ran over by a diesel truck or something.

If you buy a race bladder and put it in a box of anything.. you'll be ok.. please don't test this theory with cardboard.

Remember.. just like ATL's plates designed for "non-fabricators"... most car owners / drivers still aren't fab guys and if they have a crew.. they are mechanics. and what they have experience on is bolt on's.

If you can make a twin scroll turbo kit with a wta inter-cooler... your qualified to make a box for a fuel cell :).. probably a bad ass box for that matter

I've never been to the Peak, but we are flying out there next week to spend the weekend acclimating ourselves to the road.

Something is in shipping this week....
Wheels.jpg

How will your build change due to pikes peak being paved all the way to the top in the coming seasons?

We took three days out of our busy schedule to acclimate ourselves to the mountain. This is the first time we haven't worked in the shop since December 3rd, 2011.

Tabitha and I felt that we should run the mountain in an NSX to get a better feel for the road. So I posted a thread in the Mile High section and within a couple of days, had my choice of about ten NSX's to choose from!!! We chose and borrowed Tom Fuller's NSX(e.pie) for the weekend. So many thanks to Tom and his wife Jacque. No other community in the world would offer their cars up to a relatively complete stranger!! Discount the fact that I've been a positive influence within the NSX community for over seven years now, but still, I'm amazed. Thank you. FYI, we logged over 600 miles on the car...huge thanks!

Every successful racer to run on the Peak "feels" the presence of something more than just a mountain. On the way down from our first summit climb, I literally teared up. Some unexplained wave of emotions hit me. Trying to drive through the tears, it was all I could do to keep the car on the road. Sappy, yes, but both Tabitha and I are hooked, and feel "welcomed" by the mountain. Feeling welcomed on this mountain is a VERY good thing...

Heres why:

578589_396668417031098_309477472416860_1280712_367328997_n.jpg

530179_396668493697757_309477472416860_1280714_1687200377_n.jpg

546741_396668563697750_309477472416860_1280715_715426690_n.jpg

156251_396371520394121_309477472416860_1279238_298706288_n.jpg

536014_396667940364479_309477472416860_1280704_7175553_n.jpg

544818_396668010364472_309477472416860_1280705_1813126570_n.jpg

150774_396668113697795_309477472416860_1280707_1426986350_n.jpg

541346_396668213697785_309477472416860_1280708_839254219_n.jpg

389720_396668257031114_309477472416860_1280709_1997568736_n.jpg

380626_396668320364441_309477472416860_1280711_2048120444_n.jpg

It was an epic weekend with invaluable knowledge gained. For instance, the road is nearly perfectly smooth, so we will be jacking up the spring rates from our previous plan. With the size and compound of tire that we plan on running, we will need some very stiff suspension.

The car's carbon body is nearly complete. Tentative pickup is now May 12th. Stay tuned...

Wow.Looks like a massive amount of preparation.Hats off to the people who,"lent"you the use of their NSX.Unbelievable.Not really familiar with the fuel cell but being a plumber i thought of a bladder system as well.Simple and easy and likely not to fail.I do allot of industrial work up in Alberta and with a project of this nature(time critical)stop and think what could go wrong if you rush to much.I usually stop my crews at this point, organize, go over plans,and then tell them that no ones health or life is worth rushing past safety.It would do in my career if i felt i pushed someone to death on the job.Take care and once again "wow" what a massive amount of work.Good luck and play safe.

amazing regional show of support for one of our enthusiast/vendors ..............well done!

That's just fantastic that you were able to 'bond' with the mountain in advance!

Brian

We've been light on updates...been extremely busy wrapping up not only this build, but four other customer builds as well.

We had to cancel our prepaid(no refund) practice stage because there was just too much work to be done, with not enough time to get it all in. Customer's first. But the race goes on!

The Pikes Peak NSX is in final assembly stage....here are a few pictures we snapped awhile ago before she went back in...

547267_418405688204760_1285154733_n.jpg

7949_3672614346312_115006972_n.jpg

This is a ballsy adventure.

It's in question because of the fires right now...it appears the fire is 1 mile or less from Cascade, which is the base of the mountain. They will likely have to cancel the race of it does indeed hit Cascade.

Pressing on regardless...

550929_423130297732299_261830812_n.jpg

Body mounting begins today; testing potentially tomorrow. We are trying to leave for Colorado Thursday. Communication will be spotty; so please bear with us while we finish the car, and while are out there(including you Ron....)...

It's in question because of the fires right now...it appears the fire is 1 mile or less from Cascade, which is the base of the mountain. They will likely have to cancel the race of it does indeed hit Cascade.

Pressing on regardless...

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/550929_423130297732299_261830812_n.jpg[IMG]

Body mounting begins today; testing potentially tomorrow. We are trying to leave for Colorado Thursday. Communication will be spotty; so please bear with us while we finish the car, and while are out there(including you Ron....)...[/QUOTE]
If you need anything while you're here let me know.

edit:
You can watch the progress of the fires here. [url]http://www.geomac.gov/index.shtml[/url]

And news updates here. [url]http://www.gazette.com/sections/fire/[/url]

Last edited:
Here is the latest news as of today

http://www.gazette.com/articles/fire-140851-highway-waldo.html

Pikes Peak International Hill Climb officials released a statement Tuesday afternoon saying they met earlier in the day with Colorado Springs Mayor Steve Bach and his staff, and came away "cautiously optimistic" the 90th motor race up to the summit of Pikes Peak will take place as scheduled on July 8.

Colorado Sports Corp. President and CEO Tom Osborne, who chairs the Hill Climb board, says: "We are cautiously optimistic concerning the running of the 90th Pikes Peak International Hill Climb on July 8 after an informative and thorough meeting this morning with Mayor Steve Bach and officials from the city of Colorado Springs. We are in consistent touch with these officials, and monitoring the constantly-developing situation related to the wildfires.

“We are grateful for the support of the city and for the efforts of the agencies involved in protecting our community from the fire. Our constant thoughts are with the hundreds of men and women who are in the air and on the ground giving us their best, and with our residents and neighbors.

“In the meantime, our systems for the staging of the race and the ancillary events connected to it are fully operative.”

Sports Corp. spokesman Mike Moran declined to comment on why Hill Climb officials feel "cautiously optimistic."

Damn........:frown: Though, maybe you'll be happy with some extra time Cody!

Colorado Springs, June 27---------Faced with epic conditions and safety concerns related to the wildfires threatening Colorado Springs and nearby communities, the 90th Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, scheduled for Sunday, July 8, is being postponed until later in the summer.

“We have been informed by the U.S. Forest Service that conditions are so extreme, along with the inability to forecast the future of the fire, and with access to Pikes Peak in jeopardy that the agency can’t permit the event to go as scheduled, “said Tom Osborne, Chairman of the Board of the PPIHC and President & CEO of the Colorado Springs Sports Corporation.

Osborne said that the iconic event, the nation’s second-oldest motor sports race behind the Indianapolis 500, will be staged later this summer, and that a new date will be set within a time frame that allows the option of rescheduling of a new Race Week for drivers, racers, support crews and the multitude of agencies that are required to support the race.

“The 90th Pikes Peak International Hill Climb will be run,” said Osborne.

“This race began in 1916 and it has earned its place among the world’s greatest motor sports events, and it is an important part of the sports heritage of Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak Region,” said Colorado Springs Mayor Steve Bach. “We are committed to making sure it takes place this year and that we carry on the tradition. We are disappointed, but our first concern is our city, its residents, their homes, businesses and public safety.”

Sports Corp and PPIHC officials met with officials from the Forest Service and numerous agencies tasked with the safety and support of the race this afternoon that included a wide-ranging discussion and review of the possibility of staging the race on July 8, along with the numerous ancillary events that go with the event. Those include the arrivals of the 211 race crews and competitors starting this weekend, the Technical Inspections on July 3 at the Pikes Peak International Raceway, the July 6 Fan Fest downtown, and practice and qualification times for all competitors on July 4-5-6.

“At the end of our meeting today, it was clear that we would not be able to go as scheduled,” said Osborne. “Our deepest concern is for the safety of the public and the competitors, and it was obvious that several agencies charged with public safety would not be able to commit the resources and manpower required to ensure those requirements because of the critical need for their resources at this time. Our city is in an unprecedented struggle right now and we are deeply sensitive to it.”

The race organizers will meet quickly to begin the search for the new date and it is a goal to announce the replacement date within two weeks.

Notification of the 211 competitors, some of them from 15 nations outside the United States, news media organizations traveling to cover the race, and fans has begun.

Tickets already purchased will be honored for the new date and the events for the fans and competitors will be rescheduled. All sponsor, vendor and supplier agreements will be fulfilled, according to Osborne.
America’s Mountain – Our Hill Climb!

Back