• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Negatives of the NSX 2.0

Well if we start going there, any sports car has got the looks and proportions of the NSX 1.0.. Also photoshopping the shape of the car to make your point is a bit dishonest: i could take a Mustang and make it look like a Ferrari with the same kind of logic.
How cant you admit it's not even looking close, it's so obvious. That model has got the Acura brand engraved on its front end, for worse i think, and the shape and proportions of an Audi R8 more than the original. That we put photos of the Esprit and Saleen prototypes just in front of you didnt change your repeated argument about the flying buttress and so on (which was never the point, if you read our posts)... For me and a few others who have seen the car, we still dont really understand why it's called "NSX" to be honest.

I didn't photoshop the car. It's an illustration that got rid of an arch that extends on the car. The proportions are the same. Honda made the NSX. They are making it again. They consulted original designers and engineers of the first considering that most of them still work for Honda. It's not like Audi, Lotus, or Saleen said they want to make an NSX. Raptor, Espirit, and R8 do not have the same proportions as the original NSX, just similar elements like a tail light homage or side intake homage. The new NSX is the real deal.

I don't contest that you don't agree. A handful of people on Prime don't think it's an NSX. However, soon enough there were be a 1,000 or so people who will buy the NSX for $150K+ regardless if you or I like it. How many people in the UK already pre-ordered it on that little island already?

guess i have to spell it out for the team :biggrin:...
aston_overlay.png

saleen_overlay_aston.png

spec, thank you for your points. however, it doesn't seem very relevant to compare the 1.0 with the prototype rendering as you did instead of the production because they are quite different imo.

front_hoodlines.png

For starters, the original had a much boxier front (like your rendered model). The original perceived hoodline was intended by T. Minami imo to be much lower than where it is now (indicated by red line 1) as being the front of the infamous "beak". It linearly followed as well as contributed to the cues of their signature headlights to compliment them and to create a more filled and solid lowered front.

Somewhere around Christensen's time, a slightly bulging front plenum (a-la furai design) crept in and made its way into the front of 2.0 (blue line 3). But the result is catastrophic imo because now the perceived leading edge of the front hoodline on the 2.0 registers even higher (red line 2) because it lost its visual relationship that connected it to the linear headlight pattern. Both red line 1 and the blue line 4 have a lower perceived hood line...where the 2.0's front hoodline should be registered for design balance by the viewer. The reason the front of the 2.0 (blue line 3) can't be readily seen by the viewer to be just as low and like the furai (blue line 4) is because there is a solid hood line above it insisting otherwise :tongue:

I suspect that because of the various iterations of the the beak between the prototype and production model, and sadly this insistence to keep it, you end up with a hood line that is truly unfitting for this type of car. It is too much of a deviation plain and simple. This pic from another thread further demonstrates this point...

profile_comparo.png

The blue line above again shows just how high the 2.0 hood line is registering which is why many think that it's, for lack of a better term just wrong. The red line indicates where 1.0's perceived hoodline is which is much lower, much more wedgier, and imo, much more exotic.

Also your previous overlay also demonstrates this...

hood_comparo.png

The 488's front hoodline (red line x) and the vette's front hoodline (red line y) are both much lower than the 2.0's (black line x,y). You have on several occasions rightfully pointed out that the 2.0's profile hoodline (z) is much lower than most (as seen here) and is just as wedge-y therefore warranting exotic-wedge status. But that's not entirely correct because the issue here is specifically that the hood didn't finish its job on its journey forward to the front. And now you are left with this protruding shoe-like plenum that is a hybrid cross of a fencer's mask and an electric razor foil where the mesh is actually flush with the front-edge of the vehicle. This specific busy-ness of mixed materials and detail is rather amateurish, incomplete, and most importantly...non-exotic for all intents and purposes.

Lastly, if you refer to my chop in post #247 where I had already (1) removed the hatchback-like pillar, (2) removed the "beak", (3) elongated and lowered the hood to specifically improve its perceived hood line, and (4) reverted the headlights to be more reminiscent to 1.0's combo lights, which was ALL performed in an attempt to make it look more like 1.0, and then you reference it by stating that you can see the 1.0 in it...how can that be relevant or even fair to your point?

I didn't photoshop the car. It's an illustration that got rid of an arch that extends on the car. The proportions are the same.
Well technically you did, and no, the proportions are not the same, or else i would have been in line for one. And technically yes you 'shopped the picture to try and make your point... I have seen the car for real, and i have plenty of photos of it that i took myself, so i know pretty well how it looks.

Honda made the NSX. They are making it again. They consulted original designers and engineers of the first considering that most of them still work for Honda. It's not like Audi, Lotus, or Saleen said they want to make an NSX. Raptor, Espirit, and R8 do not have the same proportions as the original NSX, just similar elements like a tail light homage or side intake homage. The new NSX is the real deal.
Thing is, Lotus and Saleen and even Audi made a lot more effort doing a spiritual NSX successor than Honda themselves. Actually some of these prototypes are like modernized versions of the last NSX.

I don't contest that you don't agree. A handful of people on Prime don't think it's an NSX. However, soon enough there were be a 1,000 or so people who will buy the NSX for $150K+ regardless if you or I like it. How many people in the UK already pre-ordered it on that little island already?
Oh i'm pretty sure it will sell, the brand alone will help selling a lot. Again i never said the car would flop, please quote my post where i said that..
What i'm saying is, it's got "high class coupe" looks, not "exotic jaw dropping" looks. To me it's more like a "S" version of the Accord Coupe since the front end and back end are strictly identical. They should have called it "Accord Coupe RS" or to parrot Audi :) and that would have been mighty good.
Doesnt look bad overall, but in 20 years from now people wont rubberneck when it goes by, and even less flip out their smartphones to grab pics of it. That, is the difference, and i can bet on it.

Well technically you did, and no, the proportions are not the same, or else i would have been in line for one. And technically yes you 'shopped the picture to try and make your point... I have seen the car for real, and i have plenty of photos of it that i took myself, so i know pretty well how it looks.

Are you referring to the overlay? Because that's a not a photochop. That's an overlay. The details aren't the same for you, and you are fixated on that aspect like VF. It's petty fixation, but everyone has their own taste I suppose. I digress though, move on and buy something else my friend. If you truly don't like it, there has to be something else for you. Just because you won't look twice if the new NSX passses by like I won't look twice if an R8 passes by doesn't mean either aren't considered exotic by some/many.

In your eyes, those concepts are like spiritual versions of the NSX, but the Saleen or Lotus is never going to be at the NSX level of detail and manufacturing quality. The new R8 is out, perhaps you should buy that instead if you think it's a better successor?

aston_overlay.png

saleen_overlay_aston.png

spec, thank you for your points. however, it doesn't seem very relevant to compare the 1.0 with the prototype rendering as you did instead of the production because they are quite different imo.

front_hoodlines.png

For starters, the original had a much boxier front (like your rendered model). The original perceived hoodline was intended by T. Minami imo to be much lower than where it is now (indicated by red line 1) as being the front of the infamous "beak". It linearly followed as well as contributed to the cues of their signature headlights to compliment them and to create a more filled and solid lowered front.

Somewhere around Christensen's time, a slightly bulging front plenum (a-la furai design) crept in and made its way into the front of 2.0 (blue line 3). But the result is catastrophic imo because now the perceived leading edge of the front hoodline on the 2.0 registers even higher (red line 2) because it lost its visual relationship that connected it to the linear headlight pattern. Both red line 1 and the blue line 4 have a lower perceived hood line...where the 2.0's front hoodline should be registered for design balance by the viewer. The reason the front of the 2.0 (blue line 3) can't be readily seen by the viewer to be just as low and like the furai (blue line 4) is because there is a solid hood line above it insisting otherwise :tongue:

I suspect that because of the various iterations of the the beak between the prototype and production model, and sadly this insistence to keep it, you end up with a hood line that is truly unfitting for this type of car. It is too much of a deviation plain and simple. This pic from another thread further demonstrates this point...

profile_comparo.png

The blue line above again shows just how high the 2.0 hood line is registering which is why many think that it's, for lack of a better term just wrong. The red line indicates where 1.0's perceived hoodline is which is much lower, much more wedgier, and imo, much more exotic.

hood_comparo.png

The 488's front hoodline (red line x) and the vette's front hoodline (red line y) are both much lower than the 2.0's (black line x,y). You have on several occasions rightfully pointed out that the 2.0's profile hoodline (z) is much lower than most (as seen here) and is just as wedge-y therefore warranting exotic-wedge status. But that's not entirely correct because the issue here is specifically that the hood didn't finish its job on its journey forward to the front. And now you are left with this protruding shoe-like plenum that is a hybrid cross of a fencer's mask and an electric razor foil where the mesh is actually flush with the front-edge of the vehicle. This specific busy-ness of mixed materials and detail is rather amateurish, incomplete, and most importantly...non-exotic for all intents and purposes.

Lastly, if you refer to my chop in post #247 where I had already (1) removed the hatchback-like pillar, (2) removed the "beak", (3) elongated and lowered the hood to specifically improve its perceived hood line, and (4) reverted the headlights to be more reminiscent to 1.0's combo lights, which was ALL performed in an attempt to make it look more like 1.0, and then you reference it by stating that you can see the 1.0 in it...how can that be relevant or even fair to your point?

I used the latest version in the overlay. You say it's unfair, but I showed you a 3 year old rendering that looks exactly the same as the posted red vs red 2015 NSX vs 1991 NSX with lens distortion. Proportions don't lie.

Your measuring the tip of the hoodline of the two mentioned cars versus the the overall shape and size. You can clearly see the the 458/488 hood is larger and taller overall. That's like you saying any car that is longer than the NSX, has a lower hood... In math terms, 80% versus 20%. You're trying to stack that small edge against the larger picture.

Secondly, the new Corvette in the overlay I did was actually scaled down even smaller than it actually is because the picture had too much distortion when scaled at height-to-height comparison. The Corvette actually stands an inch taller than the NSX and 488 at 48.6 inches tall against 47.8 inches tall, but is the same height as the NSX by scale for the overlay. So technically the hood is even higher slightly.

I've never seen such a fixation on small detail as the front end fellas. Where in the handbook does it say a sports car has to look like this or this? :rolleyes: Please show me, as there are no written rules just public consensus. I'm not here to convince you guys to like anything, but for you guys to nitpick something so petty is ridiculous. I suppose the squeaky wheel is the loudest and sometimes it will get greased. I'm simply pointing at the fact that the car did not magically get pulled out of someone's ass and being badged the NSX like some of you claimed because that's what you're doing when you say dead concepts like an Espirit or Raptor is the "new NSX." I would love to have seen those concepts come to life, as I am a big supporter of mid-engine cars, but sadly, they are dead.

The 2015 model changed by rounding off the beak and adding hexagonal grills with splitters and you wanna say it's a complete redesign for the front bumper? It's not the same as the 2002+ redesign of 91 front bumper 11 years later. To that degree even, the NSX was still virtually the same after 15 years production... The mid model refresh just came 6-7 years later than usually expected.

- - - Updated - - -

2015:

profile_comparo.png

2012:

TwinSnakes0045.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And btw, the new rounding and beak treatment is better than the 2012 detail IMO. If you prefer the 2012's more basic square shape, than you truly have an odd sense of style.

Last edited:
The 2012-2013 was leaner (my photo, by the way, Geneva 2013 auto salon):
P3140625-X2.jpg

Look how the headlight upper seam is flush with the tire, on the new model they have been visibly raised, so is the hood line, the already over busy front end has been enlarged quite a lot. There are quite a few other changes, all making the car rounder and fatter, and less exotic.
There is no rule that says a front end must look so and so. But when it takes the same design cues as run-off-the-mill people movers (i see that kind of busy front end on family friendly $15K sedans) it cannot be called "exotic" anymore. No i dont like the R8 either, and indeed it doesnt get the amount of attention a true exotic does.
An exotic supercar must be outrageous. Thanks to mr Lamborghini for having paved the way (in a not so slightly manner..). And yes, the NSX 1.0 has got some outstanding features, that make people look twice when they see it pass by.
We just express our disappointment at Honda/Acura for not reviving the "small light and fast" spirit that was enforced by the late Soishiro Honda, i am waiting for the weight figures and not expecting any good surprise there... I dont intend to change my car anytime, but if i was on the market i'd get in line for a Lotus or a C7.

[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]
9fde1edb721dcbaece7bdb9a55fca339.jpg

This is quietly epic. Off topic but this was my idea for a widebody NSX if you could cut it down the middle and fill in a few inches to make it wider. Sharpen the lines up a little bit and you have a real NSX for today like the HSC concept. [emoji41]

P3140625-X2.jpg

Look how the headlight upper seam is flush with the tire, on the new model they have been visibly raised, so is the hood line, the already over busy front end has been enlarged quite a lot. There are quite a few other changes, all making the car rounder and fatter, and less exotic.
There is no rule that says a front end must look so and so. But when it takes the same design cues as run-off-the-mill people movers (i see that kind of busy front end on family friendly $15K sedans) it cannot be called "exotic" anymore. No i dont like the R8 either, and indeed it doesnt get the amount of attention a true exotic does.
An exotic supercar must be outrageous. Thanks to mr Lamborghini for having paved the way (in a not so slightly manner..). And yes, the NSX 1.0 has got some outstanding features, that make people look twice when they see it pass by.
We just express our disappointment at Honda/Acura for not reviving the "small light and fast" spirit that was enforced by the late Soishiro Honda, i am waiting for the weight figures and not expecting any good surprise there... I dont intend to change my car anytime, but if i was on the market i'd get in line for a Lotus or a C7.

That's a really good photo. It was two inches smaller in overall height, so it's going to be a percentage leaner. The hoodline may have risen a ~full inch from the 2012-13 proportions, but it's not huge enough to be taller than the industry benchmark hoodline. You can't blame that on Honda, but stringent regulations.

I would be more concerned with Honda delivering a reliable and effective turbo and hybrid car at this point. That's my main concern.

I don't think we're ever going to see a 46-45 inch tall sports car anymore. I don't know how Lambo keeps getting away with it, as they seem to be the only ones that produce higher volumes of cars that low. Ferrari, McLaren, and every other sports cars are getting taller by the decade. I miss that era of elegant and light cars, but it does not seem like we are going to get back to that point ever, especially after the lackluster 2000s.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the new Lotus and C7 may look exotic and fantastic, but many will not view them as exotic (I don't.) Especially the C7, since you express exotic as being an attribute that the new NSX "lacks." I am certain tho that many people will look twice once the car is on the road, regardless of how it performs. Very much like the BMW i8.

I used the latest version in the overlay. You say it's unfair, but I showed you a 3 year old rendering that looks exactly the same as the posted red vs red 2015 NSX vs 1991 NSX with lens distortion.

Sorry for the confusion, I was not suggesting the overlay was unfair at all...I was actually referring to your earlier posts wondering why you would show a couple of altered chops of the 2.0 that were intended to improve its appearance to make the point that the 2.0 as-is resembles the 1.0 instead of using just an unaltered photo or press photo.

I did not know you adjusted the scales of the overlay so now that you've clarified I can understand your point that the Corvette's side profile hood-line (z) is even higher than you've shown. I have understood from your earlier posts that the z-angle or hood-rake angle is very low on the new NSX compared to others. You didn't mention anything, however, about the comparison and contrast of the (x) and (y) references and that is what I am hoping we can effectively communicate with each other.

hood_comparo.png

I was hoping to find out if you at least understood my point about the x and y vertical references to the front hood-line comparison regardless of the scale since it doesn't change what I was trying to point out? The new NSX's front hood-line is clearly higher than most, if not higher than any current exotic (concept or production). Design is subjective to a certain degree so an element can easily be considered trivial by one and significant by another. Since we are using images to help each other better understand anothers perspective I think it would be of value to try to present the design concept I have been trying to convey as objectively as possible just in case we are not on the same page. We have used terms like "hung headlights", "exotic", and "wedge" to name a few in other threads; but even these terms without some context can get lost and be mischaracterized as being subjective. The images below will hopefully provide some context and make more sense to anyone reading because I think the following concepts are worth understanding and will perhaps shed some objective light as to why some like the new NSX's front and why others do not.

hoodlines1.png

Tradition is just that...tradition. And it typically defined as the transmission of something from one generation to the next...a fact (or perceived fact) being passed along to help the next generation understand something. Some tradition is good, and some is bad. In this specific case let's focus on a snapshot of tradition found in relevant and recent auto design that is an established reality of tradition, whether we agree with it or not. Cars that have traditionally been defined as being exotic, are traditionally associated with a relatively high price point, are traditionally associated with being exclusive, are traditionally associated with being faster than average, are traditionally associated with being able to outperform better than average, and so on. These exclusive sliver of cars are for the most part been defined by the industry as being a cut above the rest and demand respect, admiration, prestige, and even honor in some cases. The idea in "branding" is that then to conceptually package these highly sought after, very desirable, exclusive characteristics and bestow them upon its driver/owner. These designs have traditionally had the a precise design principle built into it: The wedge - meaning that the headlights are always placed above leading hood-line/frontal hood-plane. This essentially guarantees that the bottom apex of this leading front line is closest to the ground creating an aggressive, sharp, jet-fighter like appearance. Whether the z-axis hood is long or short, the closer the front gets to the ground, the more this illusion is accomplished. With present day safety regulations, automakers must exploit this illusion to its fullest to keep this tradition alive.

The 1.0 was penned by Okuyama and he captured and laid this amazing leading line and the birth of the first generation iteration of NS-X was born. It was designed to specifically compete within this tradition of exotic exclusive and be a game-changer because sadly up until 1991, exotics were also traditionally associated with being unreliable and requiring lots of maintenance.

hoodlines2.png

Another design tradition that has been established for over a century which is the conventional norm and goes as far back as the Model-T to the present day Taurus is: headlights below the leading hood-line/frontal hood-plane. This can be seen on anything from an Audi to an Autovaz, from a Buick to a BMW, from a Dodge to a Daewoo, from a Mazda to a Mitsubishi, from a Mercedes to a Mustang, from a Rolls Royce to Reliant, from a Range Rover to Renault, and until now...from a Nissan to an NSX.

The father NSX 1.0 had this distinguishing linear trait that clumped it in with the elites. It would never get lost in traffic with all the other below-the-plane hung headlights because it was better than that. It, by (complying with) tradition, commands attention, awe, respect, because there is an entire tradition within the car industry that has defined it as so. This definition isn't arbitrary, it is backed by decades of companies proving these to themselves by their brand, appearance, performance, and price point.

It is simply the opinion of some that the 2.0 would have been more true, more accurate, more genuine, more proper, more legit, to its father's design if it had simply kept this single trait of not "crossing the line". It (the face) is essentially the key element that defines whether we like it or not upon first glance before knowing any of the numbers, if it elicits a "gotta have it" feeling or an "I can pass" one. It also dictates how it will be perceived not just by the buyer, but also what the buyer internally hopes and wants to be perceived as when shelling over $160K for some wheels. Why do you think automakers put the emblem up there, it's because that's where people are looking...at the face, and in this case, because of the present state of the Acura brand, most aren't too impressed when they see you in an Acura...and perhaps even less impressed when they find out just how a-lot-a-lot-a-lot-a you paid for this looks-just-like-other Acura's. At least when we were ridiculed for how much we paid for our 1.0's we knew we had a traditionally designed "exotic" bequeathed into our hands and we enjoyed the heck out of it.

hoodlines3.png

So the corporate decisions that were made that have resulted with the current front face imho is not as insignificant or minor as one might think, it is a weighty departure which potentially catapults this model into a mediocrity of vehicles filled with sedans and coupes that range from Agarths to Zagatos.

Which brings me to a unexpected realization. Maybe some of us were dreamers when we actually thought and believed that the 1.0 deserves such an association with this exotic and elite tradition and have been just fooling ourselves. Like having the cheapest expensive watch one could buy. The Armani shirt from the discount clearance rack. The guys that I know that own Ferrari's and Lambo's for the most part do not sincerely consider the 1.0 as truly deserving of "exotic" category. This might be based solely on manufacturers price points and both 1.0 and 2.0 pale in comparison to the big bucks they have to shell out. But we do know that on the track with 1.0 it's a different story and one can only hope that to be true with 2.0 :wink:

So perhaps the current face puts the appearance of the car in a more correct place of where it truly belongs on the map, where it deserves, perhaps the King of all of the sedan-faced coupes in the world and I don't mean that facetiously. Us leftover dreamers need to wake up and get back in touch with the reality of what the car will really be worth, how the car will really perform, and the limits of how the car will really impress. Perhaps it will be the reverse...the most expensive cheapest car you can buy.

About the suggestion to move on...but what else can be moved on to for the performance price point? Plus I love Honda! Remember, I can only afford the cheapest expensive watch:rolleyes: which leads to mentioning the original intention of the body kit thread. Some don't care or give a fig about brand, prestige or perception and just want a car that gets them excited when they see it. So perhaps with a good body kit, someday, somewhere, when the white unicorn is more affordable (and actually available), and with a front modification that simply captures a preferred design heritage of 1.0's exotic, fatherly, F-16 lines, I can finally feel the "gotta have it" feeling once again.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the new Lotus and C7 may look exotic and fantastic, but many will not view them as exotic (I don't.)

It's funny you mention that because the C7 is actually halfsies...headlights partially in/partially out.

mclaren_c7.png

The term exotic really does require the inclusion of serious performance and serious price which often results in rarity. There have been many previous vette's where the headlights were above the fold. Obviously slapping high headlights on any car doesn't make it an exotic. If serious performance is really there, then serious price is gonna follow thus making it rare. Except, the Corvette is an anomaly because it battles hard in the performance category by ripping some killer times around the Nurburgring (currently hold two of the Top 10 times) but is at a relatively low price point compared to other exotics so then they are not rare (at least not in the US). Back in the 80's when the Lotus Espirit was looking more like a Lambo, I think it was received as an exotic. I have Car and Drivers from the late 80's/early 90's with titles like 'The Battle of the Exotics' or 'Battle of the Supercars' and a Lotus, a Corvette, a Ferrari, Lamborghini, and a Porsche were always included in the match.

I have Car and Drivers from the late 80's/early 90's with titles like 'The Battle of the Exotics' or 'Battle of the Supercars' and a Lotus, a Corvette, a Ferrari, Lamborghini, and a Porsche were always included in the match.

The Corvette will never be an exotic based on production numbers alone. Lotus has a better chance at that label, but running with a Toyota Camry engine does not help, even if the powerplant is decent.

Anyways. You're basing visuals on eye, but not math or geometry. The hoodline is measure at the highest point of the bonnet, usually where the fender transfers over.

Most of those cars in the diagrams are a stretch. I get your point, but it does not make sense because you are making up your own lines. Here what the lines on your diagram should look like if you take in the the point of the hoodline of the new NSX like you did for the 911 and Corvette:

hoodlines1Real_zpsjkid9rce.png
[/URL]

Just because the front bumper is not single color like the rest of your examples does not exclude the actual geometry. Paint the front bumper one color and that illusion is gone.

You can clearly see how low the hoodline is here:

2016-acura-nsx-front-side-grille.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Accord to the diagram you drew, the 911 is lower than the first Gen NSX:

2014_Porsche_911_Side.jpg

15.jpg

That logic is flawed.

I think there too many flaws in this situation.

There are more flaws in your attitude and your manners of imposing your dogmas ...

... so it's not really going to aid in your cause.

Attitude ... Nobody, except himself, can speak the truth ...

-There is a 25 year gap in the two productions. The NSX is not like the Corvette or 911, where there is a new generation every 6-8 years with gradual evolution. The Stingray from 1960s looks nothing like the Stingray of today for instance.

One can expect the car to be radically different being so many generations about technologically, but it can still pay homage.

You choose one of the most unusual Corvette design to make your point which is not fair. Why didn't you choose in your example from the C3 to C7 generations?

Brilliant, you took the C2, and if you hadn't, you would have certainly taken the C1 ...

More seriously, about the new NSX, there are two school of thoughts, those who think the new NSX should be an evolution of the NSX1 ( à la Porsche 911 ) and those who think that 25 years later it has to be again a New Sportscar Experimental.

Obviously, the NSX2 is truly an actual rendition of a New Sportscar Experimental.

Why use the same name? Well ... I would have named it the NNSX!!!

I think there are few flaws since i'm presenting recent models (and admittedly a prototype), not 25y old ones.
Also you did not read my post, i clearly state that the subjects know my NSX so, yes they perfectly know what it looks like.
Which one do you think they'll pick as the clear successor ? I see you want to evade the subject, but i find it quite interesting to say the least.

Don't expect N Spec to read and honestly discuss with you.

Everybody else understood what you meant ... Only those with bad faith will evade the subject ...

I think the fixation on a proper looking successor is in the eye of the beholder.

Politician wisdom. IOW, it is all subjective and anything could be chosen? So be it! LOL fiat 500.jpg

Go look at the video and pics I posted in the thread properly. The nose did not magically get longer. I showed you the effect on the showroom car from the same day, but different cameras/photographers.

As I already said, your modelized NSX2 is different from the actual preproduction rolling NSX2.

The nose on yours doesn't extend as much ...

The side front ventilation ducts on yours are of much smaller surface ...

Apples with apples pleeeaaase ...

You're in denial if you think that the prototype unveiling and latest photoshoot cars have new front bumpers.

We'll see ... LOL. Reread my previous answers pleeaaase ... Re LOL.

Again, the nose has always been long and sharp. Clearly thinner than the Corvette and 458/488 as I have stated.

Not sharp, sorry ... Bulky, not thin ... and Mazda... esque ... from certain aspects ( side front vent )

013304_Mazda_Mazda3_2010.jpg

And in my eyes, it's a proper NSX successor in a new generation. In others' eyes, apparently it is not, because they believe it looks radically different. The car is 25 years apart, so one should expect the car to change for times. If there was an in between step, the evolution would be more obvious. That's my take on the situation.

Yes but not as stunning as the NSX1. IMO, the Ferrari 458 Italia is the ultimate NSX1 evolution.

I think you did not read our posts. The shape is relatively OK (although it seems a bit of a fatty in person) but the front end is really a point of failure here. And no, it doesnt look like an NSX any more that an R8 or a C7 do. In any case it's not "wedge shaped" anymore, and gone is the F16 cockpit...

Agree.

About the F16 cockpit, I would have appreciated in the NSX2 a more extreme application of this concept. Like a full glass cockpit with interior recessed pillars ...

Well if we start going there, any sports car has got the looks and proportions of the NSX 1.0.. Also photoshopping the shape of the car to make your point is a bit dishonest: i could take a Mustang and make it look like a Ferrari with the same kind of logic.
How cant you admit it's not even looking close, it's so obvious. That model has got the Acura brand engraved on its front end, for worse i think, and the shape and proportions of an Audi R8 more than the original. That we put photos of the Esprit and Saleen prototypes just in front of you didnt change your repeated argument about the flying buttress and so on (which was never the point, if you read our posts)... For me and a few others who have seen the car, we still dont really understand why it's called "NSX" to be honest.

Agree, dishonest, not even looking close, ...

Solely on the look, it is not an NSX, but as a New Sportscar Experimental, yes.

aston_overlay.png

saleen_overlay_aston.png

front_hoodlines.png

profile_comparo.png

hood_comparo.png

GREAT POINTS !!!

Thing is, Lotus and Saleen and even Audi made a lot more effort doing a spiritual NSX successor than Honda themselves. Actually some of these prototypes are like modernized versions of the last NSX.

Oh i'm pretty sure it will sell, the brand alone will help selling a lot. Again i never said the car would flop, please quote my post where i said that..
What i'm saying is, it's got "high class coupe" looks, not "exotic jaw dropping" looks. To me it's more like a "S" version of the Accord Coupe since the front end and back end are strictly identical. They should have called it "Accord Coupe RS" or to parrot Audi :) and that would have been mighty good.
Doesnt look bad overall, but in 20 years from now people wont rubberneck when it goes by, and even less flip out their smartphones to grab pics of it. That, is the difference, and i can bet on it.

... It's petty fixation, but everyone has their own taste I suppose. ... move on and buy something else my friend. If you truly don't like it, ...

... The new R8 is out, perhaps you should buy that instead if you think it's a better successor?

Attitude ...

I used the latest version in the overlay. You say it's unfair, but I showed you a 3 year old rendering that looks exactly the same as the posted red vs red 2015 NSX vs 1991 NSX with lens distortion. Proportions don't lie.

No you don't. You lie. It doesn't look exactly the same as posted red 2015 NSX ...

Your measuring the tip of the hoodline of the two mentioned cars versus the the overall shape and size. You can clearly see the the 458/488 hood is larger and taller overall. That's like you saying any car that is longer than the NSX, has a lower hood... In math terms, 80% versus 20%. You're trying to stack that small edge against the larger picture.

You don't understand and continue to impose your points with erratical arguments ...

Secondly, the new Corvette in the overlay I did was actually scaled down even smaller than it actually is because the picture had too much distortion when scaled at height-to-height comparison. The Corvette actually stands an inch taller than the NSX and 488 at 48.6 inches tall against 47.8 inches tall, but is the same height as the NSX by scale for the overlay. So technically the hood is even higher slightly.

You are clearly not very familair with the scientific method ...

I've never seen such a fixation on small detail as the front end fellas. ... you guys to nitpick something so petty is ridiculous.

Attitude ... Why do you lose so much time with ignorants like us?

And btw, the new rounding and beak treatment is better than the 2012 detail IMO. If you prefer the 2012's more basic square shape, than you truly have an odd sense of style.

Unbelievable ... Respect please ...

P3140625-X2.jpg

AGREE!

I think it's pretty legitimate and hard to ignore with all the examples given. The front end of the NSX looks like a sedan. Headlights on the NSX aren't even visible from the top plan view which was the big mistake copied from the R8. Your diagram with the red line looks completely arbitrary. Talk about making up a line where there isn't one... You're ignoring the much more significant "to the eye" yellow line everyone gets hit with that's on top of the beak where Honda changes the body color for the imaginary red line you superimposed where there isn't a character line. And just look at the grill openings placement relative to the line you drew versus the other sports cars that look like sports cars. I don't know if you've studied this car too much but I think you forget about the initial design impressions it leaves which evidence the overall communication. Not going to get into it again since you absolutely have to have the last word, it's yours don't worry. Hopefully this thread shows you that other people see it differently and the cars design isn't as successful as you see it. It's going to be hot for a couple of years at first just from the excitement of being a new NSX or new exotic car but interest will fall off and people will criticize it more fairly when the newness factor is worn off. JMO

744282eb30ef453a04463b2bccae7b10.jpg

b8ae7cc5b3c385ee43338f36e9bbe320.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's pretty legitimate and hard to ignore with all the examples given. The front end of the NSX looks like a sedan. Headlights on the NSX aren't even visible from the top plan view which was the big mistake copied from the R8. Your diagram with the red line looks completely arbitrary. Talk about making up a line where there isn't one... You're ignoring the much more significant "to the eye" yellow line everyone gets hit with that's on top of the beak where Honda changes the body color for the imaginary red line you superimposed where there isn't a character line. I don't know if you've studied this car too much but I think you forget about the initial design impressions it leaves which evidence the overall communication. Not going to get into it again since you absolutely have to have the last word, it's yours don't worry. Hopefully this thread shows you that other people see it differently and the cars design isn't as successful as you see it. It's going to be hot for a couple of years at first just from the excitement of being a new NSX or new exotic car but interest will fall off and people will criticize it more fairly when the newness factor is worn off. JMO

Both lines are arbitrary if you're going to get technical, but please explain the logic to me when looking at the 911 with lower front bumper lines than most of the exotics and then look at the side profile. You cannot deny the data and math behind front fender height which is what people see and hit if you call it the hoodline - not the front bumper line.

I never said the new NSX is perfect. I said it's a good start with room to grow. It should hopefully be a good basis to evolve from and hopefully the legacy can continue and refine for the better like what Ferrari is doing with the 430, 458, 488, etc. Some people prefer the F430 over the 458. I don't see how, but sure. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. But the mentally to full disgrace a car and deny lineage for a car like the new NSX is not productive to the NSX legacy at all. If you would rather it die in 2005, then that's a very closed minded way of seeing things.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL. Stop posting bul lsh it N Spec and stop using the argumentum ad baculum, among many others ... LOL

I already own one coco! LOL!

If you own a 458, "the ultimate evolution of the NSX", lol then please go drive it and enjoy it instead of ranting about how Honda has let you down buddy.

But spec that's precisely my point. People don't look at cars with math-and-geometry eyes...they just look at what they see aka visually.

Part of my whole point of the above post is in hopes of us getting on the same page to be able to discuss this illusion and how it is still being won primarily with the Italian manufacturers. I have removed the lines so it is evident by the lighting that there's pretty clear demarkation for each respective plane that I only outlined for ease of reference only.

no_outlines.png

hoodlines1.png

Yes, I can visually see how low the hoodline is here...it stops right there in red just on top of the beak...visually. It does not transition through any lower visually because it gets interrupted by the chrome beak, and then turns into solid black plastic, and then it turns into mesh finally at your mathematically-geometrically-technically correct point. The furai concept can pull of this lower point because the hood-line material is all the same. The NSX grabs at this point but it is not executed correctly to pull this off. This is also why in another thread I mention the only way to minimize this effect is to get the car in black and then even further blacken out the chrome beak. In the above examples, every car's lower front hood-line has the benefit of it doesn't matter what color you get the car in...it always has a visually low front hood-line.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes...according to the diagram and from my calculations of that model pcar being 49" tall and the NSX 46", the 911's most frontal z-axis hood-line is lower than the first Gen NSX. However, since the NSX has a much steeper overall z-angle/profile hood-line/wedgier-rake, it visually appears lower (and way better :biggrin: in my opinion). And even if my math is a off they are both are much lower than the visually perceived hood-line of the new NSX. I hope this makes sense.

p-car_nsx.png

But spec that's precisely my point. People don't look at cars with math-and-geometry eyes...they just look at what they see aka visually.

Part of my whole point of the above post is in hopes of us getting on the same page to be able to discuss this illusion and how it is still being won primarily with the Italian manufacturers. I have removed the lines so it is evident by the lighting that there's pretty clear demarkation for each respective plane that I only outlined for ease of reference only.

Yes, I can visually see how low the hoodline is here...it stops right there in red just on top of the beak...visually. It does not transition through any lower visually because it gets interrupted by the chrome beak, and then turns into solid black plastic, and then it turns into mesh finally at your mathematically-geometrically-technically correct point. The furai concept can pull of this lower point because the hood-line material is all the same. The NSX grabs at this point but it is not executed correctly to pull this off. This is also why in another thread I mention the only way to minimize this effect is to get the car in black and then even further blacken out the chrome beak. In the above examples, every car's lower front hood-line has the benefit of it doesn't matter what color you get the car in...it always has a visually low front hood-line.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes...according to the diagram and from my calculations of that model pcar being 49" tall and the NSX 46", the 911's most frontal z-axis hood-line is lower than the first Gen NSX. However, since the NSX has a much steeper overall z-angle/profile hood-line/wedgier-rake, it visually appears lower (and way better :biggrin: in my opinion). And even if my math is a off they are both are much lower than the visually perceived hood-line of the new NSX. I hope this makes sense.

p-car_nsx.png

^ And here is your visual matchup done properly. You marked the line that touches the grille for the Corvette. So use the line that touches the grille for the NSX since that's where nose of the front bumper actually ends. You can also see the side arches extends the front bumper even further and lower technically. So don't say math doesn't have it's roll since it governs everything in this universe. Don't let the 3-tone front bumper distract you from the actual truth of the geometry.

But also notice how the NSX has lowest fender height compared to the Corvette and R8? You will realize all of this when you have them side by side in real life.

Headlights on the NSX aren't even visible from the top plan view which was the big mistake copied from the R8.

Yup, that new NSX really resembles the R8 headlights/frontend :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

And lastly, in no one's book is a 911 ever going to have a more exotic/low stance look than the NSX or any of the other sports car you had in that diagram.

Yes I marked the line that touches the grille for the Corvette because that's how the layman will see that particular plane...visually. You suggest to use the line that touches the grille for the NSX since that's where nose of the front bumper actually ends but that's precisely where I guess we have to agree to disagree. I will argue that people will not perceive this as the hood-line but rather right where the color stops at the chrome beak...visually, and you will argue that it continues onward to where it touches the grill because that's where it ends up mathematically/geometrically.

And I can agree that I can see the side arches extends the front bumper even further and lower technically and mathematically, but overall as a composition with the previous visually driven issues it makes it difficult to appreciate this detail so it gets lost.

I am not suggesting at all that math doesn't have it's roll but you can't say as a designer to your viewer like you just said, "By the way don't let the 3-tone front bumper distract you from the actual truth of the geometry." You expect to much from your viewer. Your job as a designer is to absolutely solve that issue for them so that it doesn't have to come with a disclaimer...so that they can see and appreciate it the way you want them to, at an immediate gut-level reaction. They don't have time to bust out a calculator or tape measure to see what the math says.

You said, "And lastly, in no one's book is a 911 ever going to have a more exotic/low stance look than the NSX or any of the other sports car you had in that diagram." And you're right because visually it does not look like that which was my last point because the z-angle/profile hood-line/rake or whatever we're gonna call it is way steeper than the NSX to ever be perceived that way...even if the math says otherwise.

Let's agree to disagree. I think we had a great discussion actually and you brought up good points about the conventional viewer versus actual reality. I see sports car for their size and leanness - so ultimately, geometry. You cannot hide geometry no matter how you dress it. You can put a nicely tailored suit on a well-built athlete or a tank top. They are still going to look athletic. So it just happens the new NSX is wearing an unconventional tie/suit.

The NSX's design language breaks the rules for conventional sports cars as shown in the diagram you presented with the front view of each car, but only in the three tone dressing with the complicated arches. If the front bumper is redesigned with a homogenous color scheme, the proportions will still be the same and the bumper line retained will still be low. It will just be more obvious as you mention to the gut-level viewer. Sometimes breaking the rule is not a bad thing tho. All of the other cars you showed have the same expected front bumpers one would expect from a super car, which can be argued to be boring for the predictable. The NSX has the same size to compete as the others, it's just controversially shaped and colored obviously. I prefer that over the illusion of a lean car like the 458's long, extended nose. I think if designers have to rely on that illusion, then it's being more dishonest than honest IMO.

I've always agreed that the front bumper treatment is not a homerun, but I could live with and I have yet to see a proposal for something better that does not radically change the whole essence of the new NSX - as in complete re-design and let's wait another 2-3 years.

But again, we've been talking about one small aspect of the car. The car overall, with the side view being most vital for any sports car, has to look lean and solid. The new NSX is 47 inches and has a fender line that is one of the lowest in the industry. To me, that's where the exotic low stance stems. Not how a front bumper is executed. The Nismo 350Z has a really long and extended front bumper to imply it's a low car, but the fenderline and overall height can never BE HIDDEN:

IMG_2419_NismoZ_side_copy.jpg

This is the difference between the R8 and NSX. This is the difference between the 911 and Corvette. This is the difference between the GTR and Gallardo. This is the difference between Evora and Camaro. They have vastly different fenderline heights (or hoodline heights) that presents either a Saloon style car or a true lean/low stanced sports car.

If the NSX would have been proportioned like the R8 or 350Z, then that's when the legacy is ruined in my eyes. It's not in the same vein of the NSX proportion. It can look like that from poorly shot photos with the arrow overhangs, but in reality, it's much leaner.

It built upon the original, but guided by modern regulation, pushing those limits obviously and is essentially many things that defined the first NSX:

-Mid Engine
-Forward visibility intact
-Unique engine to the Honda line-up
-Similar shape and nearly identical size to current Ferrari
-Priced at a fraction of the top dogs

The things in question are is it high revving enough and reliable enough? Well it be the lightest possible car for something turbos and e-AWD? Is it going to beat or give the 488 a run for it's money?

That's a really good photo. It was two inches smaller in overall height, so it's going to be a percentage leaner. The hoodline may have risen a ~full inch from the 2012-13 proportions, but it's not huge enough to be taller than the industry benchmark hoodline. You can't blame that on Honda, but stringent regulations.
Thanks, and yes i can blame them since every other manufacturer has got a lower hoodline on their top sports cars.

I don't think we're ever going to see a 46-45 inch tall sports car anymore. I don't know how Lambo keeps getting away with it, as they seem to be the only ones that produce higher volumes of cars that low. Ferrari, McLaren, and every other sports cars are getting taller by the decade. I miss that era of elegant and light cars, but it does not seem like we are going to get back to that point ever, especially after the lackluster 2000s.
Quite a few Lotus cars, the wonderful and pretty Alfa 4C..

Also, the new Lotus and C7 may look exotic and fantastic, but many will not view them as exotic (I don't.) Especially the C7, since you express exotic as being an attribute that the new NSX "lacks." I am certain tho that many people will look twice once the car is on the road, regardless of how it performs. Very much like the BMW i8.
I know there's an underserved prejudice against the Corvette in US (probably due to so many owners with lower standards i guess) but it's truly deserving the exotic title. Outrageous body lines - check, rather impractical - check, incredibly fast - check. "Exotic" was never about sales figures, check again who and what defined the whole category to start with...
And yes, wether you think or not it's belonging to the category, many people will look twice and even take quick smartphone pics of a passing by NSX v1. And yes, the full aluminum body and titanium rods were considered exotic back then. Nowadays the trend seems to aim towards full carbon fiber bodies (including rims, see Koenigsegg) and alcantara interiors..

Here is why the Porsche 911 still looks like a sports car: the headlights are on top of the front bumper crease line we keep discussing, and the grill is below it. And notice the general shapes of the headlights on all the better designs, they are all larger and more proportionate to the bodies, and not so horizontal like a sedan.

08dec345843fcb564a0cd48a54687dbd.jpg

66df6760db2a0b94960ce039da4baff7.jpg

Also, the new NSX design looks pretty slab sided when compared to the 458 and old NSX which had ultra low belt lines.

And now you're deflecting the argument saying the front of the car is one small part of the design so why "nit pick". It's one small part of the design the way a face is one small part of the appearance of a person. ITS THE MAIN FEATURE.

Last edited:
Here is why the Porsche 911 still looks like a sports car: the headlights are on top of the front bumper crease line we keep discussing, and the grill is below it. And notice the general shapes of the headlights on all the better designs, they are all larger and more proportionate to the bodies, and not so horizontal like a sedan.

66df6760db2a0b94960ce039da4baff7.jpg

Also, the new NSX design looks pretty slab sided when compared to the 458 and old NSX which had ultra low belt lines.

And now you're deflecting the argument saying the front of the car is one small part of the design so why "nit pick". It's one small part of the design the way a face is one small part of the appearance of a person. ITS THE MAIN FEATURE.

The side profile is the main feature. The front and rear view offers the most distortion depending on angle and closeness of shot. The side profile can never be faked. Look at the side profile of any supercar and then the 911. Most people will tell you that the 911 is not a super low sports car like a Lambo, Ferrari or even Corvette.

Where does it say in a handbook that you have to be able to see headlights in plan/top view? :rolleyes:

But hey, you see front and I see side. Most people when they drive it see the dash and steering wheel. Different priorities I suppose. Most people will view the side view as more vital.

- - - Updated - - -

Quite a few Lotus cars, the wonderful and pretty Alfa 4C..

I know there's an underserved prejudice against the Corvette in US (probably due to so many owners with lower standards i guess) but it's truly deserving the exotic title. Outrageous body lines - check, rather impractical - check, incredibly fast - check. "Exotic" was never about sales figures, check again who and what defined the whole category to start with...
And yes, wether you think or not it's belonging to the category, many people will look twice and even take quick smartphone pics of a passing by NSX v1. And yes, the full aluminum body and titanium rods were considered exotic back then. Nowadays the trend seems to aim towards full carbon fiber bodies (including rims, see Koenigsegg) and alcantara interiors..

The Evora is 48 inches tall. The 4C and Elise, IMO are virtually kit cars in terms of quality. I test drove the 4C because I have a lady friend wanted to get one because she wanted something "exotic" or different. Super light and fun for what they are, but I personally could not see them as an "exotic" car or super refined enough to even meet the quality of a 20+ year old NSX. And I'll always say this - there could and should be more mid-engine sports cars to choose from.

The issue with exotic label for Corvette is that it's very abundant and not strange/rare to the US soil. I can see how it would be rare outside the US. However, here, it's not exotic if your aunt owns one and bought it because she thought it was cute to match her husband's Corvette. You can go to Corvette car meets and see this quite often actually.

Lastly, if you follow hashtag trends on social media, which is a good representation of gauging interest for one aspect, the hashtag for #NSX have been blowing up because of the new NSX and coverage. It nearly doubled 50% since last year in total posts tagged in #NSX , now that the test mules have been rampant across the nation/world.

- - - Updated - - -

Also:

honda_nsx_1990-00416.jpg

You can't see the headlights from the plan/top view of the original NSX or from the front view either technically. So every car with pop-up headlights is breaking your rule and have sedan like headlights? :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Volkswagen-Beetle_Last_Edition-2003-1024-04.jpg

Truly sporty headlights a Bug on steroids be.

- - - Updated - - -

No wait, let's bring it to contemporary times in case you don't see the resemblance:

2015-volkswagen-beetle-front-view_10220_118_640x480.jpg

Sorry, I'm having too much phone, err fun with this. All of those 911 owners can now match their daughter's first car, the iconic bug. (Is that taking it too far?) It's just jokes :biggrin: Still faster than 95% of the cars on the road clearly.

Last edited:
Nice try with the pop up argument but no dice! You can still see the headlights from the top of the car. By your argument the car could be seen as not having headlights since they are hidden when not in use. Use an 02 and see how that works [emoji12]

I hope you notice you have a pattern of dismissing arguments that differ from your viewpoint while stating yours as fact. You probably don't even realize it given the way you write is so telling.

"The Side profile IS the main feature. (Your opinion stated as fact, right off the bat so it's stated to be confrontational and authoritative). Ever heard the expression "the face of the company or the face of an era"? That's because the face is the most representative feature of something. Ever heard of a headshot for modeling or acting? Guess why they call it that. Do real estate agents put their side body profile on their cards or do they put their face? Get the picture, these aren't my rules.

Do you need a handbook to see what traits define sports cars when you have so many examples posted right in front of you? Maybe so! There were 9 or 10 in the illustration which you dismissed and then "rolled eyes" at when pointed out. But there's that ego not letting you see past yourself. It might be possible to do it another way but the failed controversial face of the the new NSX sure isn't an example of success. The R8 did it pretty successfully which is probably why Honda thought they could get away with it.

"But hey, you see the front and I see the side. Different priorities I suppose." False humility in treating our opinions as equal followed right up with "most people will see the side view as more vital". LOL-- which was your opinion stated as fact in the first place... Why even bother with the fake open mindedness when everyone has noticed and called you out because you do not see anything but your opinion as valid. People try to debate you and put effort into these arguments like I did but it's pointless because you'll never accept it and just contrive some far fetched explanation about why you are right, and make sure you get the last word about it. Oh well. It's just an Internet forum but sheesh man.

Nice try with the pop up argument but no dice! You can still see the headlights from the top of the car. By your argument the car could be seen as not having headlights since they are hidden when not in use. Use an 02 and see how that works [emoji12]

I hope you notice you have a pattern of dismissing arguments that differ from your viewpoint while stating yours as fact. You probably don't even realize it given the way you write is so telling.

"The Side profile IS the main feature. (Your opinion stated as fact, right off the bat so it's stated to be confrontational and authoritative). Ever heard the expression "the face of the company or the face of an era"? That's because the face is the most representative feature of something. Ever heard of a headshot for modeling or acting? Guess why they call it that. Do real estate agents put their side body profile on their cards or do they put their face? Get the picture, these aren't my rules.

Do you need a handbook to see what traits define sports cars when you have so many examples posted right in front of you? Maybe so! There were 9 or 10 in the illustration which you dismissed and then "rolled eyes" at when pointed out. But there's that ego not letting you see past yourself. It might be possible to do it another way but the failed controversial face of the the new NSX sure isn't an example of success. The R8 did it pretty successfully which is probably why Honda thought they could get away with it.

"But hey, you see the front and I see the side. Different priorities I suppose." False humility in treating our opinions as equal followed right up with "most people will see the side view as more vital". LOL-- which was your opinion stated as fact in the first place... Why even bother with the fake open mindedness when everyone has noticed and called you out because you do not see anything but your opinion as valid. People try to debate you and put effort into these arguments like I did but it's pointless because you'll never accept it and just contrive some far fetched explanation about why you are right, and make sure you get the last word about it. Oh well. It's just an Internet forum but sheesh man.

Go ask or poll people on "front view of car versus side profile of car that defines a sports car." You shall see.

Half of the cars in the diagram have horizontal headlights. The Diablo (300ZX headlights), Huracan, Mclaren MP4-12C, both iterations of 1st gen NSX, the HSC and HSV have wide/long horizontal headlights. So your argument for horizontal sedan headlights is already weak.

Lastly, don't dodge the fact that the 911 is an evolved Beetle. You wanna say the 911 looks like a proper sports car in your elaboration but then try to diss the NSX for having "sedan headlights", among the peers with horizontal headlights, but the 911 is sporting headlights and design cues from a $20K family/teen car. It's ok for Porsche to do that, but the new NSX that sits lower and leaner is messing up because it has horizontal headlights and a controversial front bumper?

Please. Let it go. I let it go before and you wanna come in on VF's coattail and try to gain momentum on your unfound negativity towards a car that we both already know you'll never like. Don't jump on the bandwagon 10 years from now IF somehow the car reaches legendary status again.

Last edited:
I doubt the car will reach legendary status again - like we all said, it's taking the design of the Accord (or RLX) and running with it, definitely not trying to make a bold statement with a completely different design. An example of supercar that retained brand identity while exposing real exotic looks was the BMW M1, i believe the i8 has also captured that quite well indeed. Even Nissan are trying hard at making the ugliest sportscar (GTRzilla) and succeeding so well the ugly looks become a feature, a statement. I'm afraid the new NSX will stay quite confidential..

^ And here is your visual matchup done properly. You marked the line that touches the grille for the Corvette. So use the line that touches the grille for the NSX since that's where nose of the front bumper actually ends. You can also see the side arches extends the front bumper even further and lower technically. So don't say math doesn't have it's roll since it governs everything in this universe. Don't let the 3-tone front bumper distract you from the actual truth of the geometry.

But also notice how the NSX has lowest fender height compared to the Corvette and R8? You will realize all of this when you have them side by side in real life.

Yup, that new NSX really resembles the R8 headlights/frontend :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

And lastly, in no one's book is a 911 ever going to have a more exotic/low stance look than the NSX or any of the other sports car you had in that diagram.

Again this is not horrible but as N Spec himself admits, it's not a home run. I think VF as well as others have identified some key reasons why that is the general feeling. Furthermore in this shot as well as others, the hood looks like a lid that is just sitting in top of the car's front end.

What if the lights were tilted back from the bottom to the top and the hanging design was done away with by adding body colored material under the lights?

Back