• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2012 F1 Thread...

He wasn't "pushed" off the track. More he made a poor choice in which side to try and pass. Everyone else used the inside run, he chose the outside, which incurs a lot of risk.

OK maybe not the right word but it was obvious Alonso was faster and Seb could left him bit of space after he's been already by his side with front of car.

Wow great article! Thanks for posting!

...I don't know why I thought Hamilton would never move? :redface: ...

Well I thought exactly the same thing!! Why would he move? I mean they created him! Hamilton would not exist in F1 if it wasn't for Ron Dennis and McLaren! Talk about biting the hand that feeds you...

If he leaves McLaren he will never win another world championship IMO!

McLaren boss lines up Perez to replace Hamilton as contract talks hit crisis

McLaren boss lines up Perez to replace Hamilton as contract talks hit crisis

article-2203836-14ECABE6000005DC-486_468x322.jpg

Quoting newspaper article linked to above (emphasis added are mine):

Mexican Sergio Perez is being lined up to replace Lewis Hamilton at McLaren as the British star's contract negotiations reach crisis point.

Only a week after McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh admitted the team did not have a 'Plan B', it is understood contact has been made with Perez as Hamilton ponders a £60million offer from Mercedes.

McLaren's approach to the 22-year-old Sauber driver is an indication the team are growing impatient with the negotiating strategy of Hamilton's management, XIX Entertainment.
The agency is controlled by Simon Fuller, the man behind the Spice Girls, David Beckham, Andy Murray and creator of the Pop Idol TV franchise.
The move is the beginning of the end game. Hamilton may find his future is taken out of his own hands with the spectre of Perez being courted by McLaren, who do not want to be outmanoeuvred by the 27-year-old British driver.
A senior Formula One insider said: 'Lewis Hamilton is playing with fire, and when you play with fire sometimes you get your fingers burned. He'd be crazy to leave McLaren. If he wants to know what happens when you leave a top team to chase money, he needs only to Google Jacques Villeneuve.'

Villeneuve's story is a salutary lesson for all drivers, even one as brilliant as Hamilton. Having won the 1997 World Championship with Williams - a team with a rich, race-winning Grand Prix heritage - Villeneuve accepted a multi-million pound pay rise to drive for the fledgling BAR team pieced together by his manager Craig Pollock.
Villeneuve never won another race, BAR evolved into BAR Honda which, in turn, evolved into Brawn, then Mercedes; and the Canadian driver eventually left Formula One seven years later as a fallen star.
Fuller's desire, in his first foray into Formula One's political and notoriously ruthless world, is to create a contract for Hamilton that will allow him to develop his own brand beyond those of McLaren's current sponsorship partners, numbering 30 in total. To McLaren chairman Ron Dennis this is anathema. His company, and the world titles won by men like Niki Lauda, Alain Prost and the late Ayrton Senna, has always been dependent on the income generated by commercial partners. They, in return, have access to McLaren's drivers.

Hamilton is believed to be unsettled by the refusal of these demands and also by the salary offer on the table. The five-year deal negotiated by his father, Anthony, in 2007, was worth a total of £75m on a sliding scale, with this final year paying him about £18m. Sources close to XIX Entertainment claim Hamilton is being asked to take a pay cut to re-sign for McLaren, who groomed him from the age of 13.
This is flatly denied by McLaren. Informed speculation is that McLaren have proposed a deal close to £45m for a two-year contract, plus one-year option.
Mercedes have put an offer before XIX Entertainment that, with bonuses, could be worth £60m to Hamilton over the same three-year period from 2013.
They would also give XIX Entertainment the leeway to broaden Hamilton's brand into new markets. Mercedes have another card to play: the team are directed by Englishman Ross Brawn, who won seven world championships with Michael Schumacher, five with Ferrari and two with Benetton, and another with Jenson Button, team-mate to Hamilton at McLaren.
Hamilton has won two of the last three races, and Button the other, as McLaren demonstrate they once again have the fastest car on the grid ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix next weekend.
Is it wise to abandon McLaren, with a record of winning one of every four grand prix races, to take a gamble on Mercedes?​

Last edited:
My two favorite drivers as team mates at McLaren, yes please!!

Driver negotiations

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/driver-negotiations/

I have been reading some wild and wacky stories about Lewis Hamilton’s future, including my favourite which is that the McLaren driver will be paid $97 million for a three-year deal with the Mercedes factory team. This would be more than Fernando Alonso is being paid by Ferrari and completely out of sync with the current trends in F1 of bringing down the costs. If Mercedes have made such an offer then they obviously have more money than sense. In fact I would argue that in such a circumstance they need new management rather than Lewis Hamilton. Winning in F1 is not just about having the fastest driver. No-one doubts that Lewis is fast but he is not famed for his set-up skills. What Mercedes-Benz needs right now is someone to fix the car and made it work, rather than someone who will drive the socks of a second-rate piece of machinery. The more intelligent way to deal with the problem is to get some good drivers who know how cars work and to get them to develop a car until it is winning – and then hire a Hamilton to make the most of the potential that has been created. The aim of every Grand Prix team is to win, but the real aim of a manufacturer team is to sell more road cars by showing your engineering prowess. Good engineering must come first. The added benefit of this is that when you have a winning car, the cost of the drivers is considerably less because they all want to join a winning team. Thus it would be wiser for Mercedes to hire a Pedro de la Rosa rather than a Lewis Hamilton, if they are not satisfied with the job that Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg are doing. The people running Mercedes-Benz have been around the F1 block a few times and they know all this sort of stuff which is why I doubt that such huge sums are being bandied about. I continue to believe that the whole Mercedes thing is just an attempt to push McLaren to increase its offer.

Similarly, I tend to think that the rumours that McLaren has approached Sergio Perez are a message to Hamilton that he is not the only game in town and he needs to be careful not to end up getting a hefty elbow from McLaren for being silly. Hamilton does not need money. He needs to win and the team that offers him the best chance of a victory is fairly obvious. If you want any clues go back to the start of Lewis’s F1 career in 2007 and work out which teams have won what McLaren has won 32 races; Red Bull Racing 30; Ferrari 27 and the only other serious multiple winner was Brawn GP, which you could argue as being Mercedes, which won eight races in 2009 and one this year. It is not rocket science to suggest that if Lewis cannot join Red Bull Racing or Ferrari, then his choice is limited to McLaren. The team will pay him what it believes he is worth given his current results and the current economic climate.

One is led to conclude that the advantage of NOT being at McLaren is solely financial and if a driver makes a decision based on money alone then he pay the price for that decision in other ways. If Lewis really does conclude that Mercedes is the way to go, then I admire his optimism. The team has yet to prove that it can really hack it with the big boys, except in 2009 when it had a gizmo that no-one else had. Such advantages will win you one title, but look at the numbers again and see who will win you more than one.

It is there in black and white.

Great perspective.

Who cares about Hambone, I want to know who's signing Checo for next year!! :biggrin: :tongue:

Checo's future is tied in to where Hamilton goes...so if I were both of you, I would stay informed on Hamilton's situation.

Not necessarily, could be in the hands of Ferrari and what they decide to do with Massa.

Perez has shown to be as good as any on the grid, But I also think that ferrari wont give him the chance to actually race Alonso.

-MSR

I'm not sure that Ferrari doesn't give Alonso and Massa equal treatment. When it comes to the WDC, they want whomever is ahead to finish with as many points as possible. When Alonso forced his way past Massa going into the pits in China (IIRC), he stamped his authority as the better driver. When Raikonen moved over for Massa back in 08 so that Massa would get more points, he said he did it for the team and that is how the team wins.
Perhaps Schu was the #1, perhaps he was just better than Barrichello. Button was better that Barrichello at Braun for 1 season.
But I am biased for the Red Team and believe Alonso is hand's down the best driver.
Miner

Hamilton's time is just crazy-fast.

Driver Car Q1 Q2 (vs Q1) Q3 (vs Q2)
1 Lewis Hamilton McLaren 1’48.285 1’46.665 (-1.620) 1’46.362 (-0.303)
2 Pastor Maldonado Williams 1’49.494 1’47.602 (-1.892) 1’46.804 (-0.798)
3 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1’48.240 1’46.791 (-1.449) 1’46.905 (+0.114)
4 Jenson Button McLaren 1’49.381 1’47.661 (-1.720) 1’46.939 (-0.722)
5 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1’49.391 1’47.567 (-1.824) 1’47.216 (-0.351)

Alonso red car may be lapped by the McLarens tomorrow.

Back