• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2015 F1 thread

Injecting so much "new tech" to a new car will result in a steep learning curve for any team. If Ron can't pull it off, nobody can. I am sure Big Mac is working flat out with minimal sleep and Honda guys probably not allowed to sleep until a decent lap time is posted . Sometimes in life, hard work is not proportional to the result. Barely 6 more wks to show time.

Well today looked a little more promising. They were able to get 32 laps in this time but obviously still far behind the other teams. Hopefully tomorrow we can see them running a full session and see what lap times and lap count they can get.

Last edited:
Injecting so much "new tech" to a new car will result in a steep learning curve for any team. If Ron can't pull it off, nobody can. I am sure Big Mac is working flat out with minimal sleep and Honda guys probably not allowed to sleep until a decent lap time is posted . Sometimes in life, hard work is not proportional to the result. Barely 6 more wks to show time.

Yes he is. I'm told that Ron is working hardest at getting the Japanese engineers more comfortable bridging the english language barrier. He's brought in translators and other service staff, to make sure their transition feels less alienated and more integrated. A few the older engineers remembered working for Jenson and that has made things easier. This is something David Richards could never accomplish.

Last edited:
Ted Kravitz just mentioned that through the speed trap the McLaren was only 4kph slower than the Merc. I know we don't know how hard out they were all going but still.

Yes he is. I'm told that Ron is working hardest at getting the Japanese engineers more comfortable bridging the english language barrier. He's brought in translators and other service staff, to make sure their transition feels less alienated and more integrated. A few the older engineers remembered working for Jenson and that has made things easier. This is something David Richards could never accomplish.

That's great news. After reading the reports from McLaren and Honda, I'm buoyed by the fact that they are very much approaching this season as McLaren Honda, one entity, and not McLaren and Honda seperately.

Ted Kravitz just mentioned that through the speed trap the McLaren was only 4kph slower than the Merc. I know we don't know how hard out they were all going but still.

IIRC, they were on intermediates so that may have had something to do with it. EDIT: looks like quite a few test participants were on inters as well.

Today autosport said that on straight line teams with Merc. engins was faster about 10 km/h than Ferrari engined teams.

Well, at least "sound" won't be a problem!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vJ9AE5QRb_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Barcelona test not going well for Honda. A bit of disagreements in the engineers. On a personnel level, I'm told in the European engineers don't like the Japanese engineers going out for smoke breaks..

Last edited:
Barcelona test not going well for Honda. A bit of disagreements in the engineers.....

Yeah that is the first sign of pressure, diasagreements within the ranks.....I sure hope they solve this problems soon, because it will only degrade the working relationships within the Team. Then, if results dont come ón the track the drivers (Alonso) will start his rant as we all know he is famous for....Ron better get this under control soon.

Bram

...but JB will be the gentleman ..he is just happy to have a job.

Power unit failed but they put in a fair amount of laps and some good lap times. That's very encouraging.

Just need a better power unit seal.

Yeah that is the first sign of pressure, diasagreements within the ranks.....I sure hope they solve this problems soon, because it will only degrade the working relationships within the Team. Then, if results dont come ón the track the drivers (Alonso) will start his rant as we all know he is famous for....Ron better get this under control soon.

Bram

Bram you and I are on the same page with Alonso, so you'll appreciate this..

A little birdie told me, Alonso is not too popular with the Japanese/McLaren engineers. They like to joke around with Jenson so much more ? Hmm ? I wonder why ?
Our little spanish boy, is a bit "alienated" when Mr. Ito and the Honda brass go back to Japan. Hmm??? I wonder why ?

He is already "ruffling" a bit, in a subdued manner. I'm told he shelled out mucho bucks to get his race engineer "released" from Ferrari, Andrea Stella, so he could have someone who "understands him" better ??? and get this ? Ron found out afterwards ?? I don't like his posturing one bit.. What is wrong with a new race engineer ? I would love to speak to Ron again one day. This time I won't hold back.

Gonna be one helluva season for McLaren..

I would guess, with Alonso's new race Engineer being from Italy, this would be interesting during the debriefing with the team.....Spanish > Italian > English > Japanese.

This gives a whole new meaning to "lost in translation" :smile:

(BTW I know that Alonso speak Italian)

Bram

I would guess, with Alonso's new race Engineer being from Italy, this would be interesting during the debriefing with the team.....Spanish > Italian > English > Japanese.

This gives a whole new meaning to "lost in translation" :smile:

(BTW I know that Alonso speak Italian)

Bram

I remember Steve Matchett talking about when Jean Todt (and company) came to Ferrari he instituted a single language for the team. 5+ worlds championships would seem to say that everyone speaking the same language is a good thing. Not sure about the other way of doing business.

I see some people realy don't like that Fernando drive McLH.But be shure he will give 120% to the team, to be as best as possible.
Now some talks about mechanics love more JB and so...It's so normal they worked together earlier(when Honda had F1 team)
and he is part of McL for years it would be strange if opposite.
I like very much Jenson but Fernando is my no.1.Good team, so hope for good resaults for both.

Last edited:
Sandro, I am not saying that Alonso don't give a 120%....look at what he did in last year's Ferrari and he never give up a fighting, this is something that I admire a lot. However, his attitude is somthing that needs to be checked at the door when entering a "new team" and trying to get people to work together. That is what Team work is all about, it is not about one person. Yes these Drivers are SuperStars, but others on the Grid seem's to be better and have more of a level view of things.
I am a McLaren/Honda Fan and would love to see them repeat what they have accomplised in the in 80's.

Anyway these are just my observations.

Bram

Ummmm... that is not complaining. The Chief engineer and even Jenson Button have said the same thing this week. They are about half way behind where they want to be and it seems the car won't be 100% ready for the first race. Additionally now that they lost another day due to the accident, which they are saying was caused by Fernando fainting, it seems like they will be even farther behind. They definitely are not having a any lucky during this test session.

Last edited:
Back