• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official Working Out Thread

for your primers who are into fitness as well as your nsx, post em up!

my name is ryan, i am 25 and filipino, and ive been working out religiously for the past 3 months. heres my progress for the past 3 and some months...

here i am back in 2007... 205lbs
205lbs.jpg

this is when i first started working out in 2008... started out 185-190lbs
185lbs2.jpg

185lbs.jpg

this was about 1 month later... 175-180lbs
175lbs2.jpg

about 3 months later... 175lbs... i slacked off because of the new gf... =P
175lbs.jpg

started going back in the gym... 170lbs
170lbs3.jpg

now... i went through a good year downtime because i got too comfortable with life and the gf... no gym... poor diet...

and then the unspeakable happened... we broke up... which gave me the ANGER to light up the fire again...

this was day 1... 170-175lbs
170lbs.jpg

2 weeks... 170lbs
170lbs2.jpg

4 weeks... 170lbs
170lbs1.jpg

6 weeks... 165lbs
165lbs.jpg

8 weeks... 165lbs
164lbs.jpg

i slacked off a little bit... here is my 14 weeks... 160lbs
160lbs.jpg

of course no steroid use... just muscle milk, gummi vitamins, amino acid fruit punch drink, and i tried oxyelite which i am off now...

i plan on dropping down to 150-155 which i think is my "ideal" body weight where i can look like that ninja assassin guy... =P

just for the heck of it, i figure id post some pics of how i look like after a quick work out in a playground doing pushups and pull ups.... lol

ssjryan1.jpg

ssjryan.jpg

Last edited:
Good job man! It's been on and off for me..lost some weight back then and was content..been slacking off for over a year and then it came back. I too need to get that fire lit back up! :redface:

Great work and transformation. How tall are you? I'm now in my 9th year as a personal trainer, graduated with an exercise science degree from the University of Kansas.

Congrats! Your effort and dedication should be commended.

I'm on the same road but laying off the weights and getting into running. Attempting my first half marathon in November (provided I remain injury free).

my name is ryan, i am 25 and filipino, and ive been working out religiously for the past 3 months. heres my progress for the past 3 and some months...

of course no steroid use... just muscle milk, gummi vitamins, amino acid fruit punch drink, and i tried oxyelite which i am off now...

i plan on dropping down to 150-155 which i think is my "ideal" body weight where i can look like that ninja assassin guy... =P

can you post your exact diet? Thanks

great transformation

my diet is not the greatest, far from it.

my typical day with work and gym is

wake up, protein drink, go straight to gym, protein drink,1/2-1cup mixed nuts (cashews/almonds), banana, grilled chicken, peanut butter sandwich with 2-4hrs in between each meal depending on how hungry i get

now that is when i actually get to make and bring my own food. if not, i just eat whatever hospital food is in the fridge at work (i work in the ER) be it juices (apple/orange), jello, turkey meat, roast beef meat, or tuna sandwich

i actually get to be more consistent with eating my 6 meals a day at work than when i am at home.

im pretty sure my calorie intake everyday is a deficit, which i function with just fine

if i wanted more mass, i would eat more, but im still trying to cut down to 150-155

If your looking for a diet to lose weight just eat less. Its simple math, consume less than you burn.

If your looking for a lifestyle change that will help you lose weight and add years to your life I suggest the Paleo and Primal diets.

My diet isn't the best, but it works for me.

I avoid overly processed food as much as possible.
I don't drink much soda, and if I do I'll only have diet, but mostly I just drink water. The rest is just portion control and loose calorie counting, I try to stay around 2000 or so a day.

I run 3 days a week, mon/wed/fri, and I lift on tues/thurs

Combined I run about 15 miles a week. Lifting I do mostly upper body since (IMO) my legs get enough of a workout from running.

I finally broke in to sub 20 5k's last month, I was pretty stoked.

Just got back from vacation and am trying to get back in to the rythm though, a couple weeks off sure does make you lazy. :redface:

If your looking for a diet to lose weight just eat less. Its simple math, consume less than you burn.

If your looking for a lifestyle change that will help you lose weight and add years to your life I suggest the Paleo and Primal diets.

There are three prime considerations in nutrition; What you eat, how often you eat, how much you eat. While all are important, how much you eat is the least important of the three. This is especially crucial when trying to teach habit to other people.

I have been working out religiously for many years and just got back from a 8 month hiatus due to some nagging injuries. I do mostly weight training with "Old School" muscle group splits. When I feel like I hit a plateau, I will mix up the splits so the muscles don't get used to a certain routine.

I usually start my workout with a 10 minute warmup either running a mile on the treadmill or the elliptical trainer set at 8 with moderate incline.

I will do 4 sets of 8-10 reps for each muscle group followed by some abdomenal work as a cool down. I also try to mix up the exercises to keep the routine more interesting. I switch off from free weights, dumbbells, cable pulleys, and nautilus machines.

Day 1> Back & Biceps
  • Lat Pull Downs - in front of your head
  • Lat Dumbbell raises - aka Lawnmowers
  • Seated Cable pulls to the chest
  • Cybes over the head crunches

• Standing bent bar Curls
  • Seated Dumbbell Curls
  • Preacher Curls
  • Cable Pulley Curls

Day 2>Chest & Triceps
  • Flat Bench Press
  • Inclined Dumbbell Press
  • Decline Press
  • Machine Flys

• Dips - Reg or weight assisted
  • Seated over the head extensions
  • Cable Triceps Extension
  • Machine Triceps Extension

Day 3>Shoulders & Legs
  • Seated Military Press
  • Cable pulley Chin raises
  • Seated machine shoulder raises
  • Shrugs

• Squats
  • Leg Extensions (Quads)
  • Leg Raises (Ham strings)
  • Calf Raises

For suppliments I have found these to be the best for my taste:
Isopure protein drink
Pro-Max protein bars.

here i am back in 2007... 205lbs
205lbs.jpg

i slacked off a little bit... here is my 14 weeks... 160lbs
160lbs.jpg

Amazing transformation man.. Congratulations!! Are you still able to lift heavy with the food you consume?

I have a hard-time lifting if I don't eat much. I added cardio/running on my regimen and this is mostly because of the "Tough Mudder" event coming up next month.

Would you share your exercises? Like chest, back, etc.

Thanks and great job once again...

Nim

There are three prime considerations in nutrition; What you eat, how often you eat, how much you eat. While all are important, how much you eat is the least important of the three. This is especially crucial when trying to teach habit to other people.

I disagree. I teach what worked for me. Ive lost 100 lbs. :biggrin: My diet has also worked for others so who knows.

I do agree that what and when are important don't get me wrong. I just know from experience you can eat all the good food you want and if its still full of calories your weight loss will not be as fast as low or negative cal foods. When you eat is important in a sense that you find whats best for you. Everyone preaches now the 6-8 meals a day. This is great in theory of keeping metabolism up but what people forget is that everybody's body composition isn't the same. Each person needs to test and find whats best for them.

Last edited:
I disagree. I teach what worked for me. Ive lost 100 lbs. :biggrin: My diet has also worked for others so who knows.

I do agree that what and when are important don't get me wrong. I just know from experience you can eat all the good food you want and if its still full of calories your weight loss will not be as fast as low or negative cal foods. When you eat is important in a sense that you find whats best for you. Everyone preaches now the 6-8 meals a day. This is great in theory of keeping metabolism up but what people forget is that everybody's body composition isn't the same. Each person needs to test and find whats best for them.

You are right, from a fundamental standpoint, energy out needs to be more than energy in. Pure and simple. To tell someone to simply eat less calories to lose weight is like a kid wanting to know how to run fast and one simply tells him run more. There's a lot of 'in between' that needs to be addressed and there is an efficient and efficacious way of going about things.

Think of it this way. If a person eats shit, telling them to eat less shit leaves them still eating shit. I've coached and trained hundreds of people in my 9+ years on the job. All of my clients now ( I have a full schedule) have lost between 30lbs and 80lbs and have kept it off. A vast majority of people eat very calorically dense, nutrient deprived food. Food volume and density is a major factor in hunger mediation. Calories consumed has little effect on satiety. Achieving satiety with a caloric deficit is the most efficient means of fat loss. Example; try and eat one pound of spinach tell me how you feel afterwards. Probably won't feel like eating anything for a while despite there being only 100 calories consumed. Now go eat a pound of pasta. You'll probably be equally as full but have consumed 717 calories. Not only that your blood sugar will be through the roof and most likely will suffer from reactive hypoglycemia and will be ravenously hungry all over again in a few hours. So the point is to achieve enough food volume without over consuming calories, that's why "what" is so important followed by "how often."

Mind you I'm not discounting your efforts or results. You made a remarkable transformation. Everyone does have a different body and metabolism. Calories are the bottom line but to get the average person to that point with maximum compliance nutrition content and execution is priority number 1. Every diet works, people just don't give enough consistency to reap results. I must say that I've yet to find an obese person living on a diet of lean protein, green vegetables, olive oils and fish oils :biggrin:

Last edited:

What would you suggest for amino acid? I never knew about it but after a quick search in google, apparently amino acids are pretty important.. LOL!

Thanks again

Nim

You are right, from a fundamental standpoint, energy out needs to be more than energy in. Pure and simple. To tell someone to simply eat less calories to lose weight is like a kid wanting to know how to run fast and one simply tells him run more. There's a lot of 'in between' that needs to be addressed and there is an efficient and efficacious way of going about things.

Think of it this way. If a person eats shit, telling them to eat less shit leaves them still eating shit. I've coached and trained hundreds of people in my 9+ years on the job. All of my clients now ( I have a full schedule) have lost between 30lbs and 80lbs and have kept it off. A vast majority of people eat very calorically dense, nutrient deprived food. Food volume and density is a major factor in hunger mediation. Calories consumed has little effect on satiety. Achieving satiety with a caloric deficit is the most efficient means of fat loss. Example; try and eat one pound of spinach tell me how you feel afterwards. Probably won't feel like eating anything for a while despite there being only 100 calories consumed. Now go eat a pound of pasta. You'll probably be equally as full but have consumed 717 calories. Not only that your blood sugar will be through the roof and most likely will suffer from reactive hypoglycemia and will be ravenously hungry all over again in a few hours. So the point is to achieve enough food volume without over consuming calories, that's why "what" is so important followed by "how often."

Mind you I'm not discounting your efforts or results. You made a remarkable transformation. Everyone does have a different body and metabolism. Calories are the bottom line but to get the average person to that point with maximum compliance nutrition content and execution is priority number 1. Every diet works, people just don't give enough consistency to reap results. I must say that I've yet to find an obese person living on a diet of lean protein, green vegetables, olive oils and fish oils :biggrin:

I completely agree with this response.

What would you suggest for amino acid? I never knew about it but after a quick search in google, apparently amino acids are pretty important.. LOL!

Thanks again

Nim

Your amino acid intake will need to be based on whatever activity you are doing. If your are just the occasional gym guy then you don't need any amino supplements and you could get the full spectrum from some good organic eggs. If your vegetarian I suggest you get some Hemp Protein, its complete and way better for you than soy.

If your an endurance athlete then thats a different story.

Amazing transformation man.. Congratulations!! Are you still able to lift heavy with the food you consume?

I have a hard-time lifting if I don't eat much. I added cardio/running on my regimen and this is mostly because of the "Tough Mudder" event coming up next month.

Would you share your exercises? Like chest, back, etc.

Thanks and great job once again...

Nim

If you don't eat enough food your body won't have enough energy for lifting never mind going heavy. I tried the carb free diet for a week and I felt pretty awful. It also noticed the amount of weight I could lift dropped significantly. Went back to eating brown rice and protein source like chicken, and the energy level and strength shot up. The only up side to not eating carbs and weight lifting was I did lose weight faster, but it was not fun.

As far as chest exercises, I like wide grip flat bench press for adding size. The closer your hands get on the bar, the more triceps and shoulders start to engage. I usually super set flat bench press with dumb flat flys as well.

For me back exercises include, wide grip chin ups (palms out) for upper back/lats and dead lifts for lower back. Heavy dead lifts usually engage all muscles in your body and are pretty tough but really rewarding.

I came across this video on you tube for a pretty tough cardio exercise that you can do at home. A couple minutes of this really tiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkD9LwDBWW0

Im using that gnc brand fruit punch amino acid. It actually taste good so i drink it during my work out.

As far as strength goes, i think i can still lift heavy. I weigh 160 now and i can bench 280, i can curl 45-50lbs, i do sets of 50 dips, etc so even with my daily calorie deficit and low i havent lost strength but actually getting stroger everyday.

One supplement i stay away from is creatine. From past experience, its temporary strength and instant water weight

Last edited:
Just a tip if you are restricting your calories and you feel low on energy supplement with L-Glutamine as it is a substitute at the cellular level for glucose.

For those who are interested in knowing, I dont usually share my workout routine but pm me and ill fill you in =P

Back