• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Viper will be my last. . . . . .for a while. . .

Unfortunately, the Viper comes with many preconceived notions of the owner/driver, which are very similar to those who own crotch-rockets. But I've always liked them. As such, it is now my first domestic vehicle purchase in 15 years. I swore I wouldn't do this (purchase a domestic), so my hypocrisy is running ramped for all to see. That's fine, because I love the styling of these cars. Not so much the interior, but the exterior styling is just that good in my eyes. I bought it right, so in a few months when I'm done playing with it, I can get rid of it and lose very little if any cash. So, for those of you who won't light me up like a Christmas tree for posting it here, and instead appreciate the vehicle like I do, it will be for sale very shortly. It is my last one for a few years, as plans for a family and more renovations to the house will derail my hobby for a short time.

It is a 2000 Dodge Viper GTS, Black over Cognac, with 33,800 miles. Brand new tires were installed two days ago; the BFG KDW2's with the snake scale/skin like tread pattern. New brakes, and all servicing is complete.

I'm posting this on here in lieu of the Viper forum because, well, that forum is filled with Douchebags, and I have no desire to increase my visits to that site to more than my current total of 1. :rolleyes:

They are delivering it to my driveway on Monday. . . . . .I love having cars delivered. It's a feeling like no other to see your new ride roll out of a trailer right in front of your home.

Attachments

• Viper 1.jpg
    Viper 1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Viper 3.jpg
    Viper 3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 237
  • Viper 4.jpg
    Viper 4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
While the driving position sort of reminds me of this......

cargo-ship-vlcc-oil-tanker-195922.jpg

:tongue:

They are cool cars. Congrats! :smile:

I think that is one beautiful car -- enjoy her while you have her! :wink: Jay

It would be sad if you let preconceived notions from the mostly idiotic public around you dictate what car you buy. I will eventually own a 2000-2002 Viper just for the hell of it. That and the Vette are the only domestics I'd seriously consider-the CTS is great but has steep competition. Enjoy that Viper, you only live once.

It is a 2000 Dodge Viper GTS, Black over Cognac, with 33,800 miles. Brand new tires were installed two days ago; the BFG KDW2's with the snake scale/skin like tread pattern. New brakes, and all servicing is complete.

The Viper is a unique super car that does get bashed too much. I think they're cool as hell and probably the last vehicle of it's kind.

Many happy, safe miles.

I have always bought what I wanted, regardless of what others think. This being my last for a while, I wanted something that was pure unbridled power. There were a few others I considered, but nothing really compares to the combination of styling and power that the Viper has.

One thing I found interesting while shopping for the right Viper, was that many of the 2003-2004 newer models were along the same price range as the 2000-2001's. Simple supply and demand I suspect, as they're not as 'curvaceous' as the older models, and quite frankly I can't do the rag top convertible.

I'm counting down. Monday afternoon can't come quickly enough. My fellow Primers have responded better to this than I had thought; a true testament to level of class still present on this forum. Thanks guys! :cool:

Joe

I have always bought what I wanted, regardless of what others think. This being my last for a while, I wanted something that was pure unbridled power. There were a few others I considered, but nothing really compares to the combination of styling and power that the Viper has.

One thing I found interesting while shopping for the right Viper, was that many of the 2003-2004 newer models were along the same price range as the 2000-2001's. Simple supply and demand I suspect, as they're not as 'curvaceous' as the older models, and quite frankly I can't do the rag top convertible.

I'm counting down. Monday afternoon can't come quickly enough. My fellow Primers have responded better to this than I had thought; a true testament to level of class still present on this forum. Thanks guys! :cool:

Joe

Don't thank us,thank yourself.You did all the right things.Chief among them posting in ot and not making the typical goofy tangerines and plums comparison.You did'nt launch the nsx vs viper warhead as so many have done before you:wink:

All the best, Joe!

Last HURRAH! :eek: ? :wink: Choice.

All the best, Joe!

Last HURRAH! :eek: ? :wink: Choice.

For a little while. . . .yes. My wife has been great over the past 5 years in putting up with my constant changing of vehicles. I've done well though. I've never lost more than $1,000 on any car except the Lotus Elise (Grrrrr. . . .lost $2,200), and typically bought in the spring of any given year, and sold that fall or the following spring, annnnnnd repeat. But it's a lot of cash changing hands for me to continue classifying it as a "hobby", rather than a "habit". Since 2005 I have bought and sold:

1. Acura NSX
2. Honda S2000
3. Lotus Elise
4. Porsche 911 Targa
5. Dodge Viper

It's not an all-star list compared to what some folks on here have had, but for me, it's pretty damn good.

These are not including my daily drivers that went along with each of these purchases, which mostly I made money on, but were much cheaper than the sports car "toy". Having just turned 31 and been married for almost 6 years, we've put off having children for about as long as we desire. I feel pretty fortunate that we were able to plan holding off starting a family, and it actually worked. We've had time for a huge jumpstart on retirement savings, got into a house that we love, went on several vacations every year, and of course, I was able to have my toys. I'm satisfied, very satisfied. Time for this one more, then focus my energy elsewhere for a while. I'll be back someday. . . . . :rolleyes:. Back into another car, that is. I'll always be lurking on here living vicariously through all of you! Hehe.

Last edited:
Nice car man. From my experience those who expressed preconceived notions, are usually guys in their wife's minivans. Life is short, so if you want a viper then get one. I would like to try one out as well. Never been the biggest fan of domestic vehicles until I drove a friends Z-06. I had to admit the V-8 rumble and the torque was really fun. I like that body style compared to the newer viper coupes.

Satan's clown shoe. One day, I will have one to park next to my NSX. I'm sure you'll love it, and great choice on the color.

Haha! You just gave me the only reason in the world to wish I would've bought a red one. That is the single best nickname for this car I have heard to date.

Somehow I forgot to mention that it has a brand new Corsa Catback Exhaust on it. I've listened to some youtube videos of this exhaust, and it sounds niiiiiiiice!!

Congrats! That interior color looks so rich and creamy. Like caramel - very nice.

P.S. You NEED to change your sig.:wink:

Very cool car.......Brutal but fast........in a good way.....just dont take on any road trips....:wink:

I've actually been looking at used Vipers on Ebay and doing some research myself....

Is it true the 03 GTS is the "best" year to have? I don't like the newer body style cars - I like the more curvy older ones....perhaps that's why those old ones hold their value better.

This car has always intrigued me along with the s2000. Both are niche cars that serve it's purpose but I will have one someday just for the heck of it but not right now, just found out I will be a daddy in December :)

I've actually been looking at used Vipers on Ebay and doing some research myself....

Is it true the 03 GTS is the "best" year to have? I don't like the newer body style cars - I like the more curvy older ones....perhaps that's why those old ones hold their value better.

This car has always intrigued me along with the s2000. Both are niche cars that serve it's purpose but I will have one someday just for the heck of it but not right now, just found out I will be a daddy in December :)
For pure power a lot of people say 96-98, forged pistons.

I think that is one beautiful car -- enjoy her while you have her! :wink: Jay

I did like those till a friend showed me one. He said they have plastic inserts for the windows??? When he showed me you either had 3 choices. Windows up and roof on, roof off and windows off or windows off and roof on. I can't believe his had plastic windows so I would have to get the viper gts

I'm right there with you. I looked at the 03 and 04, and I was amazed that for a few grand more I could pick one up. However, I just can't get past the exterior styling and wheel combo that comes on the 99-01 models. All three are great, and yes, the 99 was the last year with the forged pistons. Some prefer this, but to me it was all about picking one up at a price that was right, and would allow me to drive it for a few months or a year. When I sell it, I'll be out taxes most likely, but that should be it. The car reminds me (rightfully so) of the Shelby Daytona Coupe; my favorite classic car of all time. Since those are way out of my league, this was my choice.

I believe you are the Purdue grad around here if I'm correct. I grew up just a mile from campus. Probably ran into you a time or two, but we'll never know. :wink:

I did like those till a friend showed me one. He said they have plastic inserts for the windows??? When he showed me you either had 3 choices. Windows up and roof on, roof off and windows off or windows off and roof on. I can't believe his had plastic windows so I would have to get the viper gts

Yes, the 1st generation had those cheap plastic window inserts. In fact, if you didn't buy the option, it came with no windows at all to my knowledge. I admit I'm no Viper know-it-all, but that's my understanding from a couple of articles I read. I'm a coupe guy through and through. Never drove my s2000 without the hard top on it. Something about a convertible just makes me nervous. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Back