• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

time for a high mileage update

300k.jpg

Passed 300k last month, couldn't have made it this far without the help of Chris, Jeff, and the others at Science of Speed. I'm extremely fortunate to live literally 5 miles from their facility. The engine has never been rebuilt, it doesn't need it; still runs as good as the day I bought it.

is that 300k miles? or 300k km.... if thats 300k miles thats almost 500,000 km (amazing)!!

View attachment 108879

Passed 300k last month, couldn't have made it this far without the help of Chris, Jeff, and the others at Science of Speed. I'm extremely fortunate to live literally 5 miles from their facility. The engine has never been rebuilt, it doesn't need it; still runs as good as the day I bought it.

Passed 300k last month.

Congratulations on the 300,000 mile milestone. It's nice to see someone else in "Charlotte land". I acquired Charlotte at 70k miles and ran the stock motor up to 265k before SoS did the 3.5L stage 3 twin turbo work on her. At the 265k mile mark the engine was perfect. When I originally got the car at 70k miles I immediately did the Auto-Rx basic cleaning and, have been using the 3 to 4 oz maintenance dose with every oil/filter change at 3,000 mile intervals using only Amsoil 5W-30 and finally Denso 150-1013 oil filters. This is THE combo for unbeatable engine protection and longevity. No Mobil 1 crap for my car! Ask Chris or Wade at SoS how Charlotte's engine looked when they tore it down at 265,000 miles. :) Here is a copy of my Blackstone Labs engine oil analysis done at just under 262k miles just before the SoS build. A review and oil analysis of the SoS motor, 3 years and 41k miles later, can be found here.

oil_261K.jpg

Last edited:
Bought my '01 NSX in August 2005 with 22k miles. After 8 years of commuting 25K/year I just rolled over 212,000 miles. All stock, except for 1" larger diameter wheels on front & back, and all maintenance conducted per Honda's schedule. Only serious issue to date was a failed fuel pump about 2 years ago which I replaced on my own. Thanks to all the NSX Primers that helped me research the car in '05 and for all of the ongoing maintenance answers provided since then.

I was back in the forums this week because I need to decide what "rebuilds" are needed to keep the car running for another 8 years. On startup the car is generating a lot of steam out the exhaust until it warms up. I suspect I have a head gasket issue based on the steam and some other minor issues that came up over the last 6 months. I've drafted a list of items I want to fix or replace. After reading through the high mileage and rebuild posts I found a few more items that I'll get quoted. Part of me wanted to find an excuse for buying a new car but after revisiting the forums I'm even more motivated to keep my NSX running as long as possible.

310066.6.jpg

Hugh, how the hell do you consistently put 3,000/month on your NSX? Is it being towed around while you sleep? are you running a hotshot service with it? I live in Houston where everything is a 50 mile round trip and I can't even put half those miles on my DD.

Last edited:
Hugh, how the hell do you consistently put 3,000/month on your NSX? Is it being towed around while you sleep? are you running a hotshot service with it? I live in Houston where everything is a 50 mile round trip and I can't even put half those miles on my DD.

I do a nightly 140 mile drive from around midnight till 2am and also because of this. :)

View attachment 108879

would be interested to know the brand and grade of oil you use,which filter,and your change interval,along with any other maintenance you do.congrats,you're obviously doing something right.

would be interested to know the brand and grade of oil you use,which filter,and your change interval,along with any other maintenance you do.congrats,you're obviously doing something right.

Allow me to chime in with a little show and tell.

oil change stuff.jpg

It's probably the Zinc in AMSOIL. ZDDP helps protect against wear. Most modern oils have low levels of ZDDP unless they specifically say high levels of ZDDP (zinc).

Other oils that are high in Zinc:

Lucas Oil Hot Rod Oil

Brad Penn Semi-Synthetic

There are other weights too....like for older Porsches we use Kendall GT1 20W50, which has higher levels of zinc.

In fact in my shop I stock Lucas, Brad Penn and Kendall:

Brad Penn or Lucas Hot Rod for restorations with flat tappet cams (require high levels of ZDDP) BradPenn is "house" and Lucas is avail by request (if they want others I just have to get it but don't stock it)
Kendall GT1 LiTi is my "house oil" for all modern cars with roller cams unless a high zinc oil is requested.

Mobil 1 is available by request for those customers who want nothing but Mobil.

Last edited:
I use this oil in my 245,000 km engine have done for the last 18 months and it seems to be way cleaner than previous oils after heavy track use
View attachment 109990 View attachment 109991
Doesn't have that burnt smell after a hard work out, anyway not an oil thread I know so 245,000 kilometres, and the last 50,000 have been more track than anything else

Last edited:
Between Hugh's latest updates, he is doing about 81.63 miles per day. Over the same time period, I'm doing 77.8 miles per day. Snow days are slowing me down!

Allow me to chime in with a little show and tell.

oil change stuff.jpg

thanks for the show and tell,hugh,very helpful.it's obviously pretty hard to argue with your results.at my present rate,if you stop driving now,i will catch you in year 2104,so look out...
i will,at that time,be 148 years old,which i plan to achieve by adding Auto-RX to my morning granola.

Last edited:

I use Castrol GTX every 3000 miles, but I'd say that's not nearly as important as taking care of your car properly. Doing the recommended scheduled maintenance services (15k, 30k, etc...) even if the car is running perfect is important to me. And I'd say knowing how to drive properly doesn't hurt either; I've got over 100k miles on my current clutch with no signs of wear at all. I drive it everywhere, everyday, in any situation.

Back