• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Toda and JUN

Ive always been curious as well about these manufacturers as well. King motorsports sell Toda parts if im not mistaken.

I've heard really good things about JUN, and their crazy supras. They're a really famous company, but do they make anything for NSX's? I hear in Taiwan they're getting pretty big. Im planning on getting a 2J in the IS and shipping the car to japan for jun to work on. JUN has no parts for the NSX unfortunately (i think). http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/index.html?en

mystican said:
I know they offer some products for the NSX...

Has anyone put some of their parts into their own cars?

Just wondering...

As an FYI- AKH trading out of Costa Mesa, CA is the authorized US importer/distributor for Toda Racing parts and accessories here in the USA. We also recently have begun to make available their products on a limited basis per customer request, as does King Motorsports and about 45 other domestic retailers- more-or-less for the event of the occasional inquiry.

In turn, I myself have amounted limited first hand experience with a cross-section of their offerings for both the NSX, B16A, as well as the Miata 1.8L applications at this time. For the NSX which seems to be your primary interest- I can personally pony-up a review on a few of their offerings if need be having a handful of parts from Toda installed just recently myself in preparation for the up-coming track season.

For the NSX- their cam shafts have been a hold-up for some time. Their is one enthusiast that comes to mind in with a full build-up, FactorX also offers custom installations using Toda components, etc..

Great stuff, just pricey. Ultimately the question is which parts were you interested in specifically, and for what application.

Regards,

John

Last edited:
Jun used to have an authorized US importer/distributor and tune up shop in Signal Hill of CA. I ordered the front facia and lightweight flywheel for my 300ZX from them. They were both made in Japan and it was a real long wait to get them. As far as I know, they no longer have that facility here. Their products are of top notch quality, at least for the Z.
Toda, just as John from SWR said, has an authorized US importer/distributor in Costa Mesa, CA but they don't take direct orders. Everything you want has to go thru one of their dealers. I put in an order for their lightweight flywheel and was told the turn-around time will be 4 to 8 weeks since it's a special order (they don't stock them) and it will be manufactured (sic) in Japan and shipped back to the US. :wink:

nsxpt said:
Jun used to have an authorized US importer/distributor and tune up shop in Signal Hill of CA. I ordered the front facia and lightweight flywheel for my 300ZX from them. They were both made in Japan and it was a real long wait to get them. As far as I know, they no longer have that facility here. Their products are of top notch quality, at least for the Z.
Toda, just as John from SWR said, has an authorized US importer/distributor in Costa Mesa, CA but they don't take direct orders. Everything you want has to go thru one of their dealers. I put in an order for their lightweight flywheel and was told the turn-around time will be 4 to 8 weeks since it's a special order (they don't stock them) and it will be manufactured (sic) in Japan and shipped back to the US. :wink:

The Toda Racing flywheel for the NSX application was depricated at one time, then due to request was brought back into production at a later date by Toda Racing. Thus, that specific item may have been an exception at the time you placed your order.

Smaller stuff like timing belts, pully's, oil pump gears, etc... are usually on-tap (in-stock) and can even go out over-night air if needed from CA. I've had good results there. Just do not expect them to have a few NSX ITB's and stroker crank shafts at $9000 a pop on the shelf thou available for next-day air. They are built-to-order in Japan on a special-order basis (4-8-12-16 weeks) for obvious reasons.

I once had a CRX SIR (EF8 B16A) tuned at Jun in Tokyo then I imported it to UK. Their service was great and the quality of work was excellent. The owner of the car was totally satisfied. I was also fortunate enough to live within walking distance to Jun's UK representative's home (owner's daughter) so, I placed the order through her. It is not just the bolt on parts, but the quality of work to install them also affects the performance/overall quality, so I would ship my car to Japan to get it done. (Unless there is a competent mechanic/engineer near me to carryout the work.)

mystican said:
I know they offer some products for the NSX...

Has anyone put some of their parts into their own cars?

Just wondering...

I'm a partner in a company who is an authorized Toda dealer in the NYC area (RPM NYC) and we are in the process of building a twin turbo charged C30 using Toda components. If you want a Toda built NSX motor, they will only lease it to you if you join their race program. You can't buy it, I've asked just to humor myself.

For my personal C30, I will be replacing the timing belt (in my 91 when it comes out of hibernation) with the Toda timing belt. For the price of the Toda timing belt, it's worth the extra protection. I'll keep everyone posted on the motor build up. :wink:

I checked out both of their respective websites ... I think JUN only offers a lightened flywheel...

TODA offers a lot of stuff...very pricey though...

I didn't see a turbo version of the C30...do they offer this type of development....I thought Factor X was the only tuner doing this sort of thing...

AJ

mystican said:
I checked out both of their respective websites ... I think JUN only offers a lightened flywheel...

TODA offers a lot of stuff...very pricey though...

I didn't see a turbo version of the C30...do they offer this type of development....I thought Factor X was the only tuner doing this sort of thing...

AJ

The Factor X car was put together in like one week or something like that. I have the magazine article at home. I'll scan and post the article tonight. I'll also post some projects that RPM is currently working on.

Toda does not offer parts to turbocharge the C30.

I'll let the Prime community know of the outcome when the turbo C30 project is finished (6-8 months). The motor is currently being sleeved.

RPM NYC is also an authorized Apexi Power FC dealer and tuner (also currently in the works to be an authorized dealer and tuner of another high end stand alone system). :smile:

typerturbo said:
I'm a partner in a company who is an authorized Toda dealer in the NYC area (RPM NYC) and we are in the process of building a twin turbo charged C30 using Toda components. If you want a Toda built NSX motor, they will only lease it to you if you join their race program. You can't buy it, I've asked just to humor myself.

For my personal C30, I will be replacing the timing belt (in my 91 when it comes out of hibernation) with the Toda timing belt. For the price of the Toda timing belt, it's worth the extra protection. I'll keep everyone posted on the motor build up. :wink:

I also opted for the Toda belt myself using similar logic. I was told it is the same belt as used on the C35 race motor. It has further been reported that on one occasion, a JGTC NSX burnt to the ground. Toda's belt was still usable after the fact. Toda advertises that it is near three times more resistant to cutting and stretches less under load- resulting in more consistent operation at higher RPM's.

My opinion is that the OE belt is perfectly appropriate for an otherwise stock vehicle, but for higher horsepower aftermarket applications their offering may be a relevant modification for consideration if it is getting to be that time. Particularly for the NSX, being an interference design- an extra $200 is rather cheap insurance added to the bill of an otherwise near average $1100-$1400 timing belt and water pump change, and probably even more-so for FI installs). It is also possible to add the pump gears at the same time as well while your in there.

Although I admit it is very rare to hear of a OEM timing belt failure on any properly maintained/serviced Honda application, most likely no one would want to be among the first for the NSX.

For some of the other applications- like the Miata which is non-interference, it is far less of an issue and the value probably will never materalize over the $20 stock offering. In fact, some of the spec racers utilize used belts to retard the timing for that application.

One potential downside thou for those whom have warranty left to consider is that being an aftermarket component a failure - dealer installed or not - would likely not be covered for any reason regardless of circumstance whereas the OEM offering may be under an identical set of cimcumstances.

I suppose enthusiasts would need to weigh the facts and decide which may be more relevant for their specific application. I would not allow anyone's personal scope of experience to sway judgement either way. Anything can and does happen.

Regards,

John

speed within reach said:
I also opted for the Toda belt myself using similar logic. I was told it is the same belt as used on the C35 race motor. It has further been reported that on one occasion, a JGTC NSX burnt to the ground. Toda's belt was still usable after the fact. Toda advertises that it is near three times more resistant to cutting and stretches less under load- resulting in more consistent operation at higher RPM's.

My opinion is that the OE belt is perfectly appropriate for an otherwise stock vehicle, but for higher horsepower aftermarket applications their offering may be a relevant modification for consideration if it is getting to be that time. Particularly for the NSX, being an interference design- an extra $200 is rather cheap insurance added to the bill of an otherwise near average $1100-$1400 timing belt and water pump change, and probably even more-so for FI install

John

As you can see in my avatar, I decided to to use the Toda TB for the reasons John pointed out. They advertise the belt for the C32 engine but all the TB are the same Part #.

Gary

If I am not mistaken, when I talked with Mike at Factor X in Jan 2004, he had indicated that in their testing/tuning...the Toda Belt was not necessary and felt the honda OEM belt was doing fine with higher horsepower applications...

Correct me if I am wrong....

AJ

typerturbo said:
The Factor X car was put together in like one week or something like that. I have the magazine article at home. I'll scan and post the article tonight. I'll also post some projects that RPM is currently working on.

Toda does not offer parts to turbocharge the C30.

I'll let the Prime community know of the outcome when the turbo C30 project is finished (6-8 months). The motor is currently being sleeved.

RPM NYC is also an authorized Apexi Power FC dealer and tuner (also currently in the works to be an authorized dealer and tuner of another high end stand alone system). :smile:

My scanner isn't behaving so I'll have to post the article up this weekend. Here's a link to some current projects that we have going on at RPM.

RPMNYC.com

Nevermind the scan....here's the link to the article:

Factor X Twin Turbo NSX

Last edited:
typerturbo said:
My scanner isn't behaving so I'll have to post the article up this weekend. Here's a link to some current projects that we have going on at RPM.

RPMNYC.com

O.K, so what is the deal with the drag chute on the Insight?

Just curious.

Philip

H-carWizKid said:
O.K, so what is the deal with the drag chute on the Insight?

Just curious.

Philip

This is our land speed project. We need to breach the 200 mph barrier to break the record. The Insight will be doing this run in the Salt Flats around May if I'm not mistaken. The pictures of the motor with the turbo kit in the album, is the heart of the little Insight. I'll bring the car off the lift this weekend and take pics of the sick roll cage my partner made. :biggrin:

Back