• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Toyota's NSX ?

I'm sure many of you caught the article in the latest R & T. Don't have a scanner or i'd post the article.

Reports of a super car from Toyota are nothing new, but now comes word that a powerful 2-door is indeed being developed under the hand of Toyota's European racing division (F1). The car will debut in 2005.

Power: V-10 alum. block 40-valve will reportedly producing 500bhp@7000rpm

Car is to compete against the AM Vanquish, 575, Gallardo the Porsche GT priced and is rumoured to be priced around $100k.

Car will wear a Lexus badge and launched in 2005 in Japan

I shortened the more important points of the article, but I see this as good news if this is valid info. Automotive news shed some light on a new NSX in the works, now this. Competition is good and I sure hope this forces Honda to show more of its hand!

Car will wear a Lexus badge and launched in 2005 in Japan
[/QUOTE]
.......................................................................................................

Could it be the Lexus that Tom Cruise drove in Minority Report?:)

Re: Re: Toyota's NSX ?

zoomnsx said:
Could it be the Lexus that Tom Cruise drove in Minority Report?:)
Nah... nothing that futuristic.
The design renderings I've seen so far remind me of the new Lambo Gallardo, with some aero design cues from the Celica / Supra thrown in.

It IS worthwhile to note that Toyota/Lexus is setting a design / performance target that matches or eclipses the entry-level Ferrari offering (360 Modena), the Corvette, and matches up quite well with the Viper new baby Lambo (Gallardo) and the high-end P-cars.

Something another premium-priced mid-engined Japanese exotic did in its time :)

whatever happened to the toyota 4500GT and 5000GT projects??

did they decide to change the mark to lexus instead?

Hey, that's not sporty at all! ;)

Reports of a super car from Toyota are nothing new, but now comes word that a powerful 2-door is indeed being developed under the hand of Toyota's European racing division (F1). The car will debut in 2005

The word Toyota and European... and F1... makes me think to an automatic or F1-style shifter! :D

Let's hope this can only mean good competition for Honda. (ie new Nsx) If the Bar-Honda F1 team would do better....

Btw, I wonder how many of us would buy one considering Toyota is one of Honda's main rivals.

I think that if they deliver a product that it is as good as the NSX was in 1991 now... people won't have many problem in changing boat.

Sppecially with Honda not delivering any sign of NSX improvement for the future (apart the usual rumors we hear from friends of friends of friends of ... Honda's executives).

Other info

Engine will be slightly aft of the front axle, mated to a 6 speed gearbox. A semiautomatic gearbox is also a possibility.

Per article.

The thing that I find interesting and has been mentioned above by 1164 is that Toyota is doing what Acura did w/the NSX. I think this sheds some light on what manufactures try to accomplish. Its not so much about selling units when it comes to $100k cars b/c lets face it, the market is limited. Its about making a statement & being a leader.

I'm no marketing expert, but if you want to sell a $100K V-10 supercar to compete with euro-exotics, don't make it look like a Celica with a body kit.

The photo provided by Jim is a concept drawing as usual, which is indicated in the upper left hand corner in fine print. Personally, I think the auto rags do these sometimes just to P-off the manufacture and get them to release something that more valid.

Back