• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

USA Primer wants NSX in Australia; Which is best; buy or bring/convert?

Hi All, I had a call from one of our Californian based brethren. He is planning to spend more time in Australia and wants to know which is better (easier/cheaper); Buy another NSX in USA, ship it to Australia and convert it to RHD or buy one here?

I would think it would be cheaper overall to buy one here, but with the plentiful selection in USA, it would be easier to find a good late model there.

Anyone been down this road? Looking forward to your opinions / comments and advice

Paul

P.S. Two weeks from today; it's all on for NSX lovers in Oz.

Buy Mine :)

I would think, when you take into consideration, shiping, duties GST Compliance etc Also he would have to prove he has owned the car abroad for 1 year . Plus the costs involved with a conversion. It would be cheaper and way easier to buy one here IMHO .

Hey there friends down under. I have been a prime member for a few years and have owned a NSX for about 10 years now . I actually do machining and engineering and build quite a bit of parts for the NSX ,which i distribute through Science Of Speed . I got married in Port Douglas in 2005 and have spent time in OZ each year since . Im looking to buy property in Coffs Harbour in the near future and have recently contacted frognbottle about bringing my NSX or buying another .

thanks a million for that link . i own a machine shop, but it is looking like i should buy a rhd chassis to begin with . it looks like my time is better spent doing my own thing and buying a rhd instead of re-inventing the wheel !

Couldn't agree more. After reading that write up, no matter how much experience you haver; is it worth the hassle?! Better off to buy one in Japan, if you can't find what you want in Australia.

That still doesn,t solve the problem of RAWS import rule, for a personal import, which is the only import option, you still have to prove you have owned the car abroad for a year.

It is not just owning the car for 1 year abroad,now they want your address in OZ and bills that you have been paying for in the last 1 year.
And you got to show where you will be liveing in OZ not just import your car and return back.
They have move the Goal posts around again.

It is not just owning the car for 1 year abroad,now they want your address in OZ and bills that you have been paying for in the last 1 year.
And you got to show where you will be liveing in OZ not just import your car and return back.
They have move the Goal posts around again.
Also you need to provide your rent reciepts and employment status etc , this country is way too over regulated! I for one am over it. And everyone wants something for nothing !

Another Prime member Kevin did this and his car is for sale at the moment.
I think with any import its only worth it 2 reasons. 1. Apples vs apples its considerably cheaper than the local import. 2. Whether you will keep it for a long time.
These apply to all imports Supercars Lambo, Ferrari and personal import NSX's. Selling personal import cars is near impossible to normal owners even at a reduced price because too many questions and doubts.
Kevin did the conversion 5 years ago to RHD and is trying to sell the car, I've had many friends call about the car asking so many questions and despite the attractive they prefer not to.
So unless after the conversion the car costs less than 35-40K, I would buy a local car. Also, NSX specific whether your car is NA1 or NA2 and auto/manual. NA2 manual's are super rare in Australia.
Good luck!

Back