• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you DISLIKE about your NSX's?

I want to start off by saying that I love the NSX and want to buy one, but I wanted to get a feel for those things that you owners find to be irritating, or inconvenient or any other such comments. I know all the good things about the NSX, I was wondering what the "bad" things about the NSX are.

The only thing I really don't like about the NSX is the amount of foot room. I have largish feet (size 12), and it's a little cramped down there. I can't get to the dead pedal without slipping underneath the clutch. There's no way I can drive the car with hiking shoes on -- I almost need a separate set of shoes just for the car.

But, I manage
smile.gif

-Bob ('94 #496)

With the T-top off there's so much light in the cabin that I can't see the light red LED readings on the clock or the CD/radio faces on the dash/center console. I have to hold my hand over the LED faces to shade them before I can read them, which is tricky. It can be very annoying and dangerous at speed.

I would prefer that the car started up with the Traction Control System turned "OFF", rather than "ON". It's an inconvenience to have to disengage the TCS every time I start up the car. I never drive it in the rain, so I have no need for TCS normally. I'd prefer to have the option to engage it, if I need it, which I never have.

The stock 1995 Bose stereo sucks; it has no dynamic range, but this is easily fixable with an audio system upgrade ($).

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

Originally posted by NSXY:
With the T-top off there's so much light in the cabin that I can't see the light red LED readings on the clock or the CD/radio faces on the dash/center console.

I have to agree with this.

NSXY, do your LEDs get dimmer when you turn on your headlights? Mine noticeably do.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Akira3D:

I don't drive at night very often, so I haven't had a chance to notice this headlight thing. I'll try it out and report back when I can. Right now I'm 210 miles away from my NSX.

------------------
NSXY

do your LEDs get dimmer when you turn on your headlights?

They all do this. This is intentional.

The only thing I dislike about my NSX is people who ask me what I dislike about it.
smile.gif
I like EVERYTHING about it.
biggrin.gif

MORE POWER!! I NEED MORE POWER!!

------------------
'91 Black/Black
#1213 Dali Clutch/Flywheel, Comptech Sway Bars, K&N Cone intake, Comptech/Supertrapp Exhaust

I was wondering what the "bad" things about the NSX are.

Well I have a few, but my solutions are to get aftermarket mods:

Not enough power
Not enough braking (Porsche type brakes)
5 speed transmission's gearing is way too tall
small tires & Rims (I would like bigger tires & Rims)

The only part I have not resolve is the gearing. I am probably very picky though.

It's a money pit!

Mine isn't! I've had mine for ten years, and the only things I've had to pay for are consumables - tires, brake pads, etc (largely due to track use) - and the usual upkeep. In fact, scheduled maintenance and insurance costs only a little more than on my Integra.

In fact, I would say that the cost of ownership, compared to other high-performance cars, is REALLY REALLY LOW.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The only part I have not resolve is the gearing.

That's easily changed...

It sure is with a few $$, I saw your post below, how do you keep your car stock when you track the car so much? I would think you would want more handling, more power, more braking, etc. Is it SELF CONTROL?

My one complaint is that because the car is so low, that getting in and out when parked next to a curb requires some gymnastics.

Jester, don't listen to Maomao. His car is a money pit because he chooses to modify EVERTHING on the car. The NSX is awfully reliable and not a money pit at all.
My only dislike is trying to clean the lint off that engine hatch. What'd they make that out of, velcro?

Another thing I dislike about NSX is I got too many revs at the lights or on the highway from those mustangs, F-body GM's, vettes, tegs, civics, etc. So far I was able to ignore most of the revs. But things may change when I got a blower (or signle turbo) some time this spring.

ChopsJazz:

I have a really effective and inexpensive way to remove the engine cover lint (it was my wife's idea). Buy a role of masking tape that is 2" wide. Take a piece about 6" long and wrap it snugly around your four fingers (held flat) so it's stuck to itself in a loop, with the sticky side out. Simply press the tape on the surface of the "velcro" cover and remove. The lint and any loose dirt comes up with no problem. When the tape looses it's tackiness, just rotate the tape loop around your fingers so the unused tacky part is exposed and keep going.... We use the same technique to remove lint from fabrics (clothes). When I first did this with my car I was really impressed, because it worked so well and so easily. Best luck!

------------------
NSXY

[This message has been edited by NSXY (edited 01 February 2001).]

good thread....

My dislikes:
- body roll (fixed w/ Dali sway bars)
- weak clutch (fixed w/ Comptech Powergrip II clutch)
- unpredictable handling at the limit with elevation/surface changes (improved with Comptech poly bushings)
- power could be better (but isn't THAT big a deal for me)
- front brakes need better cooling (fixed by taking of the splash guards (see my website DIY's)
- no leather smell (trivial)
- Stereo system reliability is CRAP, quality is just ok

-- Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

My only complaint is that the NSX is addicting. It is too fast for a 65 mph speed limit, it's high-rev, mid-engine sound is intoxicating, and it is painted "pull me over" red. Of course, this is exactly what I wanted!

My only dislike is trying to clean the lint off that engine hatch. What'd they make that out of, velcro?

The masking tape trick works. An easier way, instead of using a roll of tape, is to use one of those roller devices used to remove lint and pet hair from clothing (think of six-inch-wide masking tape on a roll, which is basically all it is). Slightly more expensive than a roll of masking tape but much more handy. Takes about two seconds.

On the trivial side:

* Tad more headroom!
* Instrument cluster is standard issue sedan. Give it some life!

Less trivial: HP, more tires, better brakes.

But gotta love it anyway!

Back