• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What to look for in a 95-96 nsx

Hello all,

I've sold my Audi and after many years of beating around the bush I've decided to get an nsx finally. I've loved the car since I first saw the black and ivory one in road&track way back in 90. I've decided on a 95-96. I did a lot of research a few years ago about early models so I'm fairly comfortable with what to look for with those. Is there anything major that I should be looking for with a 96 targa besides wear items such as a clutch, timing belt etc? I leafed through the tsb's for the car and it seems like they're pretty well sorted out but am I missing anything? I'm going to look at a 96 with 62k miles on it Saturday. Timing belt and water pump where replaced. Still with a good stock clutch. TIA!

1. Check the oil pan for leakage
2. Check the clutch master cylinder for leakage
3. When was the last timing belt replacement ? $1500
4. When was the clutch replaced? $2k
5. Make sure the A/C control panel works at all fan speeds. If not, then the blower motor must be replaced because that's what blows the control panel, then the control panel will need to be sent to someone who knows how to repair them. Someone on this board does that.
6. Usually the VTEC spool valve gaskets need to be replaced (don't know how to check this)
7. Check the coolant tank. After several years, the plastic wears out and cracks start to develop around the tabs that attach the tank to the car. If the tank is not replaced, the cracks will eventually creep into the coolant tank.
8. When was the fuel filter replaced?
9. Check power window regulators.

A lot of things here are based on milage; some are based on age. I've replaced or fixed everything on this list on a '95 with only 30k miles (that now has 70k). Some of the more "archaic" problems were pointed out to me by an NSX mechanic that knew what to look for. His name is Mike Alcalde at MCA Motorsports in Miami and he's a private mechanic that has one of the few shops in the country that specializes in NSX maintenance.

After you take care of that stuff, then you can begin the fun like I have...
NSX-R Suspension
Taitec Exhaust
Brake upgrades (I HIGHLY suggest doing stainless steel lines, 2 piece rotors up front and better pads) For me, this has solved my fade problem completely and the brakes overpower the tires; so big brakes just aren't necessary.

Back