• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What would have made the new NSX sell better?

The competition's BIG hips:

IMG_0395_zpsjq9dkrmx.jpg~original
I need to hire your landscapers.

^This is true. Unfortunately I can never get past the looks of the 911. Never really been a fan of it. But I also know not to race one.

^This is true. Unfortunately I can never get past the looks of the 911.

Comparatively speaking (sales numbers etc) you are in the minority....

Interesting fact since 2014, 25% of 911 sales (991.1 & 991.2) are Turbo/S models.

IMG_0353_zpsvq78tusk.jpg~original

Last edited:
^This is true. Unfortunately I can never get past the looks of the 911. Never really been a fan of it. But I also know not to race one.

simply an amazing car, you can't believe how good it is until you drive it. better than the NSX in every way...

p.s. i'm not even a Porsche guy.

Who wants to let me drive one?:smile:

Who wants to let me drive one?:smile:

Just about any Porsche dealer will toss you the keys and tell you to have fun.......

Do you have a link for the Porsche sales stats? I don't doubt you, I am just surprised. Although I suppose about 90% of 911's going forward will be ("Little-T") turbos... ;-)

As I've said here dozens of times, the "stack ranking" and "if you could pick only one" discussions are interesting, but I suspect most potential NSX owners HAVE ALREADY HAD a Porsche (I've got a 700 HP 997 Turbo (6 Speed) and a track-prepped Cayman R right now, for example). Isn't the more interesting question: what are you going to buy NEXT (or in addition) to your Porsche? Surely some variety is more appealing than parking a 991.2 Turbo next to your 991.1 Turbo, no?

I think the NSX (or 570S or R8) might be smart to ONLY market to people who have already owned a Porsche--- it's a "gateway" brand for most enthusiasts (even more so than Ferrari that sell a lot of units to "rich guys" who aren't really "car guys").

Comparatively speaking (sales numbers etc) you are in the minority....

Interesting fact since 2014, 25% of 911 sales (991.1 & 991.2) are Turbo/S models.

Sales stats Porsche 911:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/porsche-911-sales-figures.html

Regarding Turbo sales as a portion of total 991 sales:

Excellence Magazine June 2016 pp 55 ↓↓↓ Top Gun Turbo article.....

"Most people would assume that the Turbo makes up a very small percentage of 991 sales.
In reality however, it has accounted for an astonishing 25 percent of sales over the last two
years, underlining the draw of the non-GT flagship model."

Last edited:
simply an amazing car, you can't believe how good it is until you drive it. better than the NSX in every way...

p.s. i'm not even a Porsche guy.

I drive a 997 turbo and it certainly wasn't better than the new nsx in any way. I'll have to try a 991. My coworker just got a 991.2 Carreras S, he loves it.

i'm not a Porsche guy, i don't personally know each 991, 997, 996 designation. but whatever the current iteration is, i love. and i would take it over the NSX and especially the GTR. and whenever they line up the 911 Turbo S against a new NSX, it spanks it. even that famed Chris Harris wet comparo video.

nothing leaves the line like a 911 Turbo S...

p.s. and the 911 is much more livable than the NSX could ever be.

My NSX had a spirited drive from Miami to Naples to the Revs museum with the local Porsche club. Flawless performance of the NSX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
c3320d7bfbc81ee8038d847fe3be3fa0.jpg

i'm not a Porsche guy, i don't personally know each 991, 997, 996 designation. but whatever the current iteration is, i love. and i would take it over the NSX and especially the GTR. and whenever they line up the 911 Turbo S against a new NSX, it spanks it. even that famed Chris Harris wet comparo video.

nothing leaves the line like a 911 Turbo S...

p.s. and the 911 is much more livable than the NSX could ever be.

More liveable how. I found it very tiny and cramped. At least my clubs fit in the nsx.

I call BS on the 911 livable point (it is a phenominal car)

I guy I know bought a 2016 Turbo S and was all hyped on how fast it is

After 2 weeks he dumped it for an MB AMG GT-S because the ride of the Turbo S was too harsh for him

More liveable how. I found it very tiny and cramped. At least my clubs fit in the nsx.

In my gen 1 NSX's, on caravan drives to NSXPO's in CA, to get extra storage , I'd put a garment bag inside the glass covered rear hatch - sitting on the motor cover.
Everything came out permanent pressed.....or permanently wrinkled.

I call BS on the 911 livable point (it is a phenominal car)

really?

the 911 is much easier to get in and out of, higher off the ground, has much more room inside (for the front occupants), a higher roofline, better outward visibility, a bigger trunk, and two extra seats in the back.

errr, which 911 are you talking about?

p.s. and it flat leaves the NSX in the dust.

Turbo S

The issue was the ride, too stiff for him

Remember, a lot of buyers are in their 50s and above, what is comfy/great for you may be misery for another guy

It was a stunning car, white with a black roof

too stiff? it's quite soft and supple unless it's in the firmer dampening modes.

Hothonda, care to weigh in?

Not my experience....991 ride was/is very comfortable.

On my Gen 1 NSX's (except the Zanardi which WAS factory stiff) installed Bilstein aftermarket shocks w/adjustable spring perches - lowered the car about 1"
w/tighter rebound, but remained comfortable also.

My 1st 991 was a 2013 C2S w/optional factory "sport" suspension - AKA S-PASM (PASM =Porsche Active Suspension Management) dropped car 20MM lower than base.

Turbo models (all have 4 wheel drive & rear wheel steering) are not available w/the sport suspension, PASM is standard - (10MM lower than 991 cars with standard suspension)

Both suspension versions (SPASM & PASM) are remote adjustable for stiffness separately with a button on the console or automatically activated when sport plus
is engaged. You can disengage with the suspension button back to normal if you choose to do so in that mode.

Additionally Porsche offers optional PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control) an active anti-roll system that
anticipates and reduces lateral body movement when cornering. In addition, it minimizes lateral sway of the
vehicle on rippled road surfaces. ... did not have this - some swear by it, some swear at it.

Factory S-PASM on 2013 C2S - 20MM lower than base suspension ↓↓↓

P1020726_zps7a5a19c0.jpg~original

Last edited:
You guys seem to forget that the first gen "Looked like a Ferrari" and only sold barely 8K units in the US across 15 years of production... The NSX may be an icon but it doesn't have 911 or Corvette brand establishment as I mentioned before. Even the GTR has seen many generations of iterations. The NSX is only on his one-off 2nd gen trial. It needs consistent generational updates for it be an established brand like the rest of the aforementioned sports cars.

People keep saying oh the lack of power is why it didn't sell, or the looks now :rolleyes: Sure, it's a combination of everything but ultimately it's branding power that going to help sell any car or product as we are in market of luxuries when it comes to Sports cars, not actual utility... These are excessive toys that reflect our emotions not tools that we need on a daily basis. This is why it's priced at $150K and above. It was meant to sell in less volumes than the GTR from the get go and that car hasn't really sold that great considering the jump in power it received from the R34.

Also, the 911 doesn't look better than the NSX or R8 neither, but it sells better than both of them could ever dream so it's hard to argue that looks sell cars ultimately. The 911 priorities lie heavily in function over form obviously, hence the supreme performance and large capacity/form as mentioned.

friends that have owned 911s say they're the ultimate performance daily driver.

the frunk is big enough for some trips to costco, smaller kids fit in the back.

911s arent anything special to look at. with the exception of the GT2/3 cars, they all look the same at quick glance. its truly amazing that porsche has been able to keep a consistent look for 50+ years.

Even being the "benchmark" I still have design issues with the 911. Mechanically, it appears to have no issues. Just always looks like a frog on a Lilly pad ready to leap to me. I can't get past the engine layout and bulbous fenders.:confused:

Also, the 911 doesn't look better than the NSX or R8 neither, but it sells better than both of them could ever dream so it's hard to argue that looks sell cars ultimately. The 911 priorities lie heavily in function over form obviously, hence the supreme performance and large capacity/form as mentioned.

I don't think the 911 sales figures are exclusively a "function over form" argument as there is a very large badge bias at play here. Porsche makes nothing but high end performance vehicles and the general public is aware of it. So if you say "I have a Porsche" it conjurs up images that saying "I have an Audi" or worse "I have an Acura" create.

Back