• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why mod it?

Hello all,

Having bought my 94 Brooklands Green NSX in May, I'm beginning to appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of the car and myself as a driver. With the exception of an installed-in-1994 Comptech Exhaust and Cold Air intake, my NSX is bone stock. The mod bug never bit me, nor will I ever mod the car.

All that being said, I had the opportunity to participate in a curvy mountain drive with a 2004 Porsche 911 C4s, a 2006 Lotus Exige, and a 8? Ferrari 328. The performance of the stock NSX was closest to the C4s, but it would absolutely walk away from me in curves while the Lotus was untouchable and out of sight (the Ferrari lagged behind somewhat, but still moved along at a nice clip). It was a great day with a bunch of bone stock cars.

I'm not criticizing those that choose to mod their NSX's, I love the fact that we can each choose what we do with our vehicles. I guess my question is this...if you want a car that can rip the track apart, why not go drop the cash for an Exige and be done with it? If you want a car which can walk off from the NSX, there are tons available, why not buy one?

Bottom line...why mod the NSX into something it wasn't engineered to be?

I love my NSX. It was the realization of a lifelong dream and I will hopefully never have to part with it. It's not as fast in curves as the Exige, or a quick on takeoff as the C4s, but it will keep them in sight and catch up if the road is right. Kudos to Honda Motor Company.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but am curious if there are other NSX owners which feel the way I do...that Honda had it right from day one?

S

Agreed. I have only had my 91 since July but I have no interest in doing any mods. It is bone stock and I plan to keep it that way.

The only thing I would suggest is to paint it Berlina Black! :biggrin:

Nate in DC

Different strokes for different folks.

I mod my vehicles because I like to be different.
Every car I've ever owned has been modded. Of course, I lose money doing so but a car is never an investment anyway.

It's not as fast in curves as the Exige, or as quick on takeoff as the C4s, but it will keep them in sight and catch up if the road is right. Kudos to Honda Motor Company.

Why mod it?

I think you answered your own question? I love the look of the NSX but wanted to smoke a C4S, be quicker in the curves than the Exige and blow away whatever step's up:tongue:

Hello all,

Having bought my 94 Brooklands Green NSX in May, I'm beginning to appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of the car and myself as a driver. With the exception of an installed-in-1994 Comptech Exhaust and Cold Air intake, my NSX is bone stock. The mod bug never bit me, nor will I ever mod the car.

All that being said, I had the opportunity to participate in a curvy mountain drive with a 2004 Porsche 911 C4s, a 2006 Lotus Exige, and a 8? Ferrari 328. The performance of the stock NSX was closest to the C4s, but it would absolutely walk away from me in curves while the Lotus was untouchable and out of sight (the Ferrari lagged behind somewhat, but still moved along at a nice clip). It was a great day with a bunch of bone stock cars.

I'm not criticizing those that choose to mod their NSX's, I love the fact that we can each choose what we do with our vehicles. I guess my question is this...if you want a car that can rip the track apart, why not go drop the cash for an Exige and be done with it? If you want a car which can walk off from the NSX, there are tons available, why not buy one?

I love my NSX. It was the realization of a lifelong dream and I will hopefully never have to part with it. It's not as fast in curves as the Exige, or a quick on takeoff as the C4s, but it will keep them in sight and catch up if the road is right. Kudos to Honda Motor Company.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but am curious if there are other NSX owners which feel the way I do...that Honda had it right from day one?

S

I had the same thinking when I first had my car :biggrin:

Guess what it changes. The mod bug is contagious. I currently have Comptech header, Tubi exhaust, HID head light, HID interior light, Uni filter, 2001 stock rims (chromed)

My next mods, gona to be Shine spoiler, BBK and Volk wheels...it is addicting when you start to engage in the "mod" bug. :eek:

Wasn't engineered with enough HP, suspension, tire, and wheel technology is now 15+yrs old...

Why not give it a 'face lift' to '02 technology with larger wheels, better tires, and for some folks: more power.

Dosn't take anything away from the car atall to update to more modern wheels, tires, suspension.

To answer your question... Wait until you drive a proporly tuned/built turbo nsx :wink:

+1 for the original poster.

in my defense, i bought the NSX just coz i loved how it looks and how rare it is.
ive always wanted this car first time i saw it in person.

now, i get crap from people that why spend that much money on something that has 270/290hp......my reply to them is "if i wanted a straight line car, i wouldve bought a SUPRATT....and if i wanted a track/twisty car......i wouldnt have bought this either.....and if i wanted to have SPEED and HANDLES the twisty, id get on my 1000RR and have more fun with it."

NSX is my weekend car, and 1000RR fullfills my speedaholic and scrapping my knees.

yes NSX gets ALOT more attn than C4s ;)

I mainly mod my car because I don't want it to look like yours. The stock narrow rims, small tail pipes and 4-wheel drive stance makes the car look plain IMO. Plus a stock NSX is too damn quiet!!! Its a sport car right??

I have a good friend in Florida would refuses to modify his car. When the two of us would go for a drive, anytime we'd stop for lunch/gas/etc, everyone would come up to me and ask me about my car. Ask if they could take pictures of it, etc. My car has a few exterior mods (rims, hood, tint, exhaust, suspension) and I think these are what makes my car out shine his. Does this make mine better? Not at all.

I don't mod for attention, but if others can appreciate the difference between stock and mine, there must be something a stock NSX is lacking. To each his/her own they say. Just think of the money you are saving.

Wasn't engineered with enough HP, suspension, tire, and wheel technology is now 15+yrs old...

The NSX was engineered perfectly at the time of its introduction. It was faster than the F348 and if the HSC had been faster than the F430 in 2004 the automotive world would have declared it a masterpiece.

The NSX wasn't updated properly and that's where I think most people's desire to mod the NSX comes from.

I agree that by 2005 the NSX was underpowered compared to the competition and the suspension technology was outdated. The RE040 tires on the 05 NSX were adequate and so were the 17" BBS wheels.

Honda should have absolutely offered a factory CTSC package and a Type-S /Type-R suspension option with it. That would have brought it right back into the forefront of the automotive world.

I am usually a bone-stock supporter but Honda's utter failure to update this poor car leaves us with little recourse. The car in stock form is great but the bottom line is the last 15+ years have allowed for excellent development of quality aftermarket parts which really do improve the performance of the NSX. If the stock performance is adequate for you then don't modify. But I see no reason not to mod your NSX when there are so many great options available and very little support from Honda.

I like having things customized for me; for my preferences and likes. I mean we all chose the NSX for it's unique properties. It was a reflection of our preferences, whether it be color, styling, performance or all of the above. Carrying that mentality further, customizing the car makes it a further reflection of our preferences. It is our canvas to paint whatever kind of portrait we choose, even if we are the only ones that will be really looking at it or appreciating it.

99.9% of NSX owners don't know how to really drive the NSX to its fullest. The NSX has lots of potential and just minimal weight reduction and suspension mod can keep it competitive with many high end sports cars that came out after it. Most people just don't know how to really drive fast. There is a reason that the McLaren F1 designer looked to the NSX for inspiration. (I have competition license with NASA and SCCA, so I have a little perspective)

I miss my NSX every day...

firebird_NSX.sized.jpg

people who have endless praise for "factory engineering" usually don't know anything about engineering. (not saying you don't....)

the difference between factory parts and aftermarket parts is not necessarily in the engineering of these parts (as most reputable brands have VERY competent engineers), but in the limitations of the design (such as emissions, fuel efficiency, other laws, etc.)

the reason we mod is because we're making it better at what it already does, even if that "what it already does" is simply appeal to us. that's really all there is to say about it.

First off, keeping the car completely stock is fine. Nothing wrong with that.

HOWEVER!!!

During the R & D / Design process, the manufactures are required to meet the “rules” to make the car street legal. Different countries have different rules.

AND

Not everything is designed perfect the first time. That is why they have mid model updates – To address any issues, and to refresh the car so it will continue to sell.

NA1 to NA2 is the perfect example. With slightly larger engine, better exhaust manifold, additional gear, etc.

Environment. The car is design to produce no more than certain amount noise and pollution – Therefore, the exhaust system may not be “ideal” to free up all the HP the engine is producing. That is why when you put a nice set of header and more free flow exhaust on NA1 NSX, you can get up to extra 20 hps. The price to pay is, possible less fuel economy, louder exhaust note, etc.

FI – CTSC? So the car can go faster?

Honda has different suspension options (Standard, “T,” S, and R); therefore, suspension upgrade is logical.

Aero upgrade (s). Some are cosmetic, some are functional; ie. NA2 Type R Aero Package, which in essence, not really mods, but replace factory to factory parts.

Bigger brakes to help people who track their cars.

Larger wheels/tires… That is debatable… Some are over kill…

Interior… Better and more updated audio system.

Etc. etc…

Why mod? Why not?

Why not mod it? Interesting. The mod-bug bite me after three years of ownership. It stopped one year ago. Sometimes I would be happy to have her 100 % OEM again. I like to see 100% stock ones. I admire some cars and their people who invest so much time and money in it. But sometimes I just shake my head about project x or y. While modding mine I always tried to stay on the JDM-route with Type-R gearbox, Type-R chassis/swaybars, Type-S susp., Zanardi shift lever and JDM map bag set. This is a different (and sometimes expensive) way of modding as you still have parts modded that are JDM.

I appreciate the responses...each one is valid for his/her car and perspective. This is a tricky subject because everyone seems to have a strong opinion on it, its tough to find someone in the middle who has no preference.

The question was asked "Why not mod it"

For me (and I will recognize this as strictly my opinion) it takes away from the purest form of the vehicle as envisioned by the factory engineers. When I show my NSX at shows, I identify what parts are aftermarket (exhaust and cold air intake) and they respect the car for that. Sure an 07 Z06 can eat it's lunch, but the NSX is far superior (again my opinion) in regards to engineering. I don't feel the need to update it to match Z06 performance, cars of that performance range didn't exist when my 94 was built and, to me, its akin to comparing apples to oranges.

Is the stock NSX outclassed by many sports cars today, sure....but frankly I don't care. I'm currently in the market for a 1999 355 F1, and its already outclassed by vehicles which cost less. I'm buying it for what it is, a stunning Italian car with a great transmission.

NSXGMS brings up an excellent point and one which I can almost agree to, that the 2005 stock NSX was outclassed due to Honda's lack of R&D reinvestment in the platform. Even so, it is a great car and the end of Honda's dream of a supercar (for now).

Again, I recognize that I'm clearly in a minority here and think its great we have places such as Prime to discuss our differences of opinion.

At least we can agree that the NSX is a milestone in supercar design and engineering.

and if i wanted to have SPEED and HANDLES the twisty, id get on my 1000RR and have more fun with it."
FYI - apples to apples (1000RR is a top of the line bike, so top of the line car:) cars handle better :wink:

oh, and I'll have my cake and eat it too with a Turbo NSX: straight-line car (in the 10's) while outhandling God's Chariot!
The NSX was engineered perfectly at the time of its introduction. It was faster than the F348 and if the HSC had been faster than the F430 in 2004 the automotive world would have declared it a masterpiece.

The NSX wasn't updated properly and that's where I think most people's desire to mod the NSX comes from.

I agree that by 2005 the NSX was underpowered compared to the competition and the suspension technology was outdated. The RE040 tires on the 05 NSX were adequate and so were the 17" BBS wheels.

Honda should have absolutely offered a factory CTSC package and a Type-S /Type-R suspension option with it. That would have brought it right back into the forefront of the automotive world.

I am usually a bone-stock supporter but Honda's utter failure to update this poor car leaves us with little recourse. The car in stock form is great but the bottom line is the last 15+ years have allowed for excellent development of quality aftermarket parts which really do improve the performance of the NSX. If the stock performance is adequate for you then don't modify. But I see no reason not to mod your NSX when there are so many great options available and very little support from Honda.
Yup, it's a masterpiece, but why not make it better? :biggrin:

99.9% of NSX owners don't know how to really drive the NSX to its fullest. The NSX has lots of potential and just minimal weight reduction and suspension mod can keep it competitive with many high end sports cars that came out after it. Most people just don't know how to really drive fast. There is a reason that the McLaren F1 designer looked to the NSX for inspiration. (I have competition license with NASA and SCCA, so I have a little perspective)
+1. Forget weight reduction, bone stock it's an amazing, competent car. SCCA and NASA eh?

people who have endless praise for "factory engineering" usually don't know anything about engineering. (not saying you don't....)

the difference between factory parts and aftermarket parts is not necessarily in the engineering of these parts (as most reputable brands have VERY competent engineers), but in the limitations of the design (such as emissions, fuel efficiency, other laws, etc.)

the reason we mod is because we're making it better at what it already does, even if that "what it already does" is simply appeal to us. that's really all there is to say about it.
+1

I thought I'd never mod it. But after headers, exhaust, Type-R suspension, chassis strengthening bars and a couple of cosmetic upgrades, I think the car drives better and still looks pretty much the same. I still have all OE parts, just in case :biggrin:

Last edited:
Did I read in this forum about people holding this website being responsible modding his car ? :D

rubber...

Why not give it a 'face lift' to '02 technology with larger wheels, better tires, and for some folks: more power.

Dosn't take anything away from the car at all to update to more modern wheels, tires, suspension.
I don't agree w/ your dismissal of the original OEM NSX tires.

The 15+ year old Yokohama A-022H have been the most prolific of all the OEM NSX tires over the years (ie. Bridgestone RE010 & RE040), and even trump other aftermarket offerings (ie. Bridgestone RE050 & S0-3, Michelin PS2, Goodyear F1-GSD3, and BF Goodrich T/A KD). There is absolutely no denial of that.

In all likelihood, 9-out-of-10 NSX'ers would prefer the Yoko' A-022's over the rest if they were still readily available... :(

*Nota Bena: purposely omitted the Dunlop SP8050

I had the opportunity to participate in a curvy mountain drive with a 2004 Porsche 911 C4s, a 2006 Lotus Exige, and a 8? Ferrari 328. The performance of the stock NSX was closest to the C4s, but it would absolutely walk away from me in curves while the Lotus was untouchable and out of sight (the Ferrari lagged behind somewhat, but still moved along at a nice clip).
In all fairness, the differences between the cars were likely due to driver ability, and not to differences in the capabilities of the cars themselves.

I'm not saying that those cars are equal in capability. But in the hands of professional drivers on a racetrack, lap times would be remarkably close. Except maybe for the 328, which is considerably older than the NSX.

I don't agree w/ your dismissal of the original OEM NSX tires.

The 15+ year old Yokohama A-022H have been the most prolific of all the OEM NSX tires over the years (ie. Bridgestone RE010 & RE040), and even trump other aftermarket offerings (ie. Bridgestone RE050 & S0-3, Michelin PS2, Goodyear F1-GSD3, and BF Goodrich T/A KD). There is absolutely no denial of that.

In all likelihood, 9-out-of-10 NSX'ers would prefer the Yoko' A-022's over the rest if they were still readily available...
I agree with Osiris on this one. The OEM tires are excellent, and maximize the feel of precise handling better than others. Furthermore, unlike all other tires, the OEM tires have the advantage of being designed for one specific car, with a specific, known weight and alignment, and for specific corners of that car. There are other excellent tires on the market, too, but the OEM tires are still competitive with them.

Back