• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

why people sell their nsx???

On my first one it was simply a matter of the right thing to do at the time. I made some $$ on it and used that to do a few things around the house. That was a top concern of mine.
Then vacationing in CA, my wife saw one and said that I should get another. I did and still have it, going on ~8yrs now.
When my normal DD got stolen last year, the NSX was thrust into daily use. While I liked it at first, it did get to be a hassle of always having to take it and not being able to go to grocery store if I had someone in car with me. I have since gotten a different DD and now the NSX is back in the garage. I'm currently entertaining the thought of selling it though to pay off a few things and then move on to something else.

In 3 hrs I will know if I'm the proud owner of my second NSX, a F/I one. If so I will have my current NSX up for sale soon ( need to transfer over alot of parts first:biggrin:). I will have a Lambo one day but for now I hope a F/I X will do the trick.

I now spend 70% of my time in Hawaii now, and my NSX is in Cali. I don't want to bring my car here because I think it would be frustrating driving the car at a top speed of 45. So I'm thinking of selling the nsx, or sell my 5 bedroom house in Cali for a 2 or 3 bedroom one in cali, and garage the car there.

I sold my first to buy a second......widebody, 6speed, targa.......:cool:

What "problems"...before I go this route?

Problems I had are probably no longer an issue these days with much better engine management options out there.

Comptech will always be the safest option IMO. There is a reason that dealers installed it and kept the warranty intact.

That is not to say that other options out there right now are not great options -- BBSC, several turbo, SOS SC.

Just do your research and talk to as many owners in person about what there experience has been like.

Anyway, we are a little off topic here.

Last edited:
Because it is still a toy, and thier are a lot of other toys on the shelves:wink:

+1

I sold mine because I felt it was too much money tied up into one thing at this point in my life.
I will get into another one after flight school, hopefully a 6 speed targa.

But along with docjohn, I have a huge list of cars that I want to drive and own ( some fairly inexpensive...some not so inexpensive ), and to do that, sometimes other cars have to go. I picked up my S30Z after the NSX and I dare say that car will stay with me for awhile.

1. To costly to make HP, better motor builds cost a fortune.
2. FI is over priced.
3. Never pass emissions once bult to higher HP.
4. OEM parts are expensive and some are hard to get if you can get them at all.
5. After market parts are way over priced.

I have 3, but at this point I am not considering selling any of them.
Well, maybe my automatic.

If I did sell my NSX street/track car, I would probably buy a Z06. Best bang for the buck for HP as comes stock, great for street and track playing. Parts are easy to come buy and don't cost an arm and leg, and no problem with passing emissions. Not to mention 1/2 the cost of a comparable HP NSX.

Last edited:
I sold my NSX.... For... Another NSX!!! The best auto purchase decision ever!!!

My first NSX was an automatic and I sold it to buy an Elise. I owned the Elise for 2 years and sold it to buy 2 go-karts and race in the Skip Barber race series. I sold the karts and bought another NSX because I always wanted an '02+. I don't track street cars hard anymore so a NA NSX is fast enough for me and the comfort on long trips to race weekends is much better that the Lotus. Besides, it's just plain gorgeous!:biggrin:

I'm thinking of going hardcore and driving nothing but NSX's, which means buying at least one more. If I need to haul anything I'll let my girl do it in her 4-runner.
But it'll have to wait until the economic recovery is well underway.:rolleyes:

I am in the market to sell mine right now.

1. Relocation
2. Child on the way
3. Finish building house

Maybe down the road I will get another.

Once again, I've been thinking of selling mine... Family reasons.

I have two young children and I rarely drive it anymore.

My wife says not to sell it, but I find myself thinking I could sell the NSX and pick up an old E36 M3 convertible and have a fun tooling around car, I wouldn't have to care as much about it, I'd put some money in the bank and potentially I could still track it (and if i crack it up, the financial loss would be far more manageable).

That said, I've had these thoughts periodically and it has not gone up for sale yet...

Performance would be the number one reason for me. My NSX looks and drives so well but it can not compete with other cars like the new corvete for speed. I would like to turbo mine but it is not legal.

John, I don't understand the Leagal Issues? I'm supercharged right now in Missouri and have no leagal issues?

Currently debating on selling to get a 360 modena if everything works out. Not really trying hard to sell as i'm thinking about going back to school and would still keep it if the 360 doesn't go through. And i would still have to get another NSX in the future just to have one.

I just bought mine last December and i did it just because i always wanted to have one ( big honda/acura fan), if i was selling the car it would be for 2 reasons:

1. every car has a designated owner and neighborhood - I'm too young and the place where i live is just not right for it

2. before the NSX i had a S2000, i keep comparing them: sometimes it feels like the NSX is just a little more fun than the s2000 but the ownership could get a little overwhelming

The reason why i bought it was mainly because in the future i want to buy a house or an apartament but for now i still live with my parents so i thought that since the NSX does not loose much value i could own it in the meantime of collecting money for the house. Sometimes i feel like i want to keep it forever and sometimes i wish i never sold the S2000 and i would keep a low profile without too many things to think about and too much money sleeping in my garage.

btw nsx's performance is good enough for me.

Last edited:
I had a non turbo 94 supra (which i turbo'd) and had a few problems with it. So i sold it for the NSX and made it my daily driver. After driving an NSX for 6 months, it gets kind of old. Ive since then, put my nsx up for sale and bought a twin turbo bmw as my daily. Now that my NSX is a weekend car, Im considering keeping it. I think mainly the people who daily their NSXs are the ones who dont keep them long. Its a great car to own, but not to drive everyday. Especially older ones.

both my NSX's were like savings accounts that you could enjoy...:biggrin:
my first one I had over two years and sold it for more then I paid for it, so that made getting another one easier to take for the wifey and made selling it easier to do also...Both times I've sold them for more then i paid and drove them for over two years each...Obviously this only worked with 91-93 back then because they were bottomed out on the values...things have changed recently though and it seems to be harder to sell these days, but I think the next NSX I get will be for good I hope...

reason I sold first one was for investment money(started a family) and it was a third car(toy)..second one was also a 3rd car and sold when insurance was almost as much as the payment after a claim:eek:

In 3 hrs I will know if I'm the proud owner of my second NSX, a F/I one. If so I will have my current NSX up for sale soon ( need to transfer over alot of parts first:biggrin:). I will have a Lambo one day but for now I hope a F/I X will do the trick.

BTW: I did get the F/I X so now for the first time I get to sell an NSX:biggrin:

so my reason to sell of course is cuz I bought its replacement and now one must go

Last edited:
I've previously owned six 911's and have been intrigued lately with the new 911-S w/ PDK. Went to the Porsche dealer and requested a test drive. I was told there were no test cars available, however the salesperson (who I've known for years) asked if he could drive my 00' NSX. He's had years of SCCA experience and did a good job of pushing my car to the limit. When we returned to the dealership he couldn't help himself but say..."WOW, why would you want to sell this?" An honest car salesman...and my friend. I'm keeping it.

It's hard to imagine selling it, but to be honest I don't get to drive it much these days, what with two kids usually in tow. And with the economy the way it is I could easily find myself without a job in the near future. The car equals almost two years of mortgage payments for me, and definitely if it came down to selling the car or losing my house, the car would be gone right quick.

I sold my NSX.... For... Another NSX!!! The best auto purchase decision ever!!!

+1...

I think ideally if I step up to a Gallardo or something else in that league, I'll keep my NSX just in case.... just in case I wake up and realize I made a mistake!
:smile:

I now spend 70% of my time in Hawaii now, and my NSX is in Cali. I don't want to bring my car here because I think it would be frustrating driving the car at a top speed of 45. So I'm thinking of selling the nsx, or sell my 5 bedroom house in Cali for a 2 or 3 bedroom one in cali, and garage the car there.

I wish the hard decisions in my life were as rough as yours! :tongue:

I have owned two, a 92 (perfect low mile stocker) and a 91 heavily modded for track play, I think I may have lost the urges to go to the track, so I am looking for a replacement for my 91. I may keep it or sell it depending on what I find out there. I am still faced with the same problem I was in '05 when I sold the 92 and got the 91, there just is not to many cars that can replace a NSX. There are many that out perform one but very few that provide the same expierence.

I am looking at '02 or newer to replace mine, but I have had the Vantage V8 stuck in my head for about 6 months. I fear the move to the AMV8V will be a big mistake both in terms of reliability and cost of ownership, but that thing is the sexiest thing on the road right now.

Besides if I get the '02-'05 NSX it will have to have a turbo to one up my current setup and I will be well into the price of the V8V if I go that route.

Dave

I am looking at '02 or newer to replace mine, but I have had the Vantage V8 stuck in my head for about 6 months. I fear the move to the AMV8V will be a big mistake both in terms of reliability and cost of ownership, but that thing is the sexiest thing on the road right now.

I agree with you there. I love that AMv8. It too is underpowered though until they gave it a big bump in HP. I think it was 2008 or 09.

I saw an 06 for 65K or so. Pretty exclusive car for that price, and I would hate to buy one new!

Back