• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

World's first wrecked GTR (R35)?

It happened in Hong Kong.
20080107119970748243419700.jpg

I wonder if that's the one Jason saw in Tokyo two weeks ago....lol Same color but not in the same country...

Last edited:
What is the build time on one of those? Always a shame to see hand-built cars go to waste.

I've always wondered what defines a hand built or hand assembled car (or anything for that matter)? Do they take sheet metal and hammer it and mold it with their hand?

I think hand built is over-rated and probably inferior to robots by today's standards. Every single modern-day car assembly line video that I have seen have robots and machines involved in the process.

If the company makes the right investment robots and machines should be superior than humans.

Humans are not as consistent. They might have consumed sake the night before. The car could be "hand built" on a Monday or Friday pre/post Octoberfest in Germany, etc....

Diablos have more "hand built" time in them than the current Lambos. Which is more reliable? The examples goes on and on.

Is the GTRs excess for hand-built because it was not cost effective for them to invest alot in retooling and automated assembly line?

I think you're missing the point, hand built evokes emotions of someone being dedicated, lovingly building your car. That also somewhat justifies the extreme cost of some supercars. Same reason why Aston Martin have the engine builder's name marked on the engine itself.

You could say the main criticism of Japanese cars is lack of emotion/passion, so i guess a bit of clever marketing by Nissan there, even if it's not truly hand built!

I think you're missing the point, hand built evokes emotions of someone being dedicated, lovingly building your car. That also somewhat justifies the extreme cost of some supercars. Same reason why Aston Martin have the engine builder's name marked on the engine itself.

You could say the main criticism of Japanese cars is lack of emotion/passion, so i guess a bit of clever marketing by Nissan there, even if it's not truly hand built!

I don't think the hand builder is always dedicated, lovingly building your car with unwavering consistencies. Person might had a bad day with the wifey or hung over. Well guess what? Ur car might be substandard due to the person's condition.

Every SVT engine is hand built:

engine.jpg

Does that make it a better engine than a LS2 or some mass produced German engine or a 2JZ?

Naw.

Most Japanese Cars lacked emotion/passion or even better.... soul.

Why? They usually play it safe. Tend not to experiment, tend to follow, not lead. Europeans cars are the antithesis (esp. Italian) and some USA cars.

The NSX and FD has more soul than anything from Nissan's camp IMHO. NSX was the first mass produce car made entirely from alluminum and the FD made a 2700lbs car from mostly steel and didn't use a piston engine.

I'm not really seeing anything unique about the GTR that stands out. Certainly not it's styling cues.

I think the engines are hand built...most of the important stuff is done by machine. It's not like they're smithing the heads out of raw iron.

Don't compare a Japanese hand built car to an Italian one either. lol

My NSX is hand built and holding up better than any machine built car I've ever owned.

As for the styling cues of the GT-R....you don't have to like them, but they're are undeniably Japanese. One look at that car and I know where it came from.
Now, I wouldn't call it pretty...but I'd call it bold. Another thing to remember...the Skyline/GTR has always been a coupe, not a sports car. It's more like a Mustang than a Corvette...so don't expect too much from it.

That guy is now famous for being the infamous wrecker of a car none of us can even order. Way to go douchebag!

:)

What what exactly is "hand built" in an engine? They don't actually mill/bore the block by hand do they? If so, scary thought.

Is there an industry standard definition of "hand built?"

I doubt it.

One car maker defination would be if the person bolts on a minute component it's hand built while another would define that with more "time" spent with their hands.

pretty soon celebrities will be crashing them, Britney Spears will be driving drunk in one, there will be a high speed race on highway 1 in Malibu...........etc etc.

I've always wondered what defines a hand built or hand assembled car (or anything for that matter)? Do they take sheet metal and hammer it and mold it with their hand?

I think hand built is over-rated and probably inferior to robots by today's standards. Every single modern-day car assembly line video that I have seen have robots and machines involved in the process.

If the company makes the right investment robots and machines should be superior than humans.

Humans are not as consistent. They might have consumed sake the night before. The car could be "hand built" on a Monday or Friday pre/post Octoberfest in Germany, etc....

Diablos have more "hand built" time in them than the current Lambos. Which is more reliable? The examples goes on and on.

Is the GTRs excess for hand-built because it was not cost effective for them to invest alot in retooling and automated assembly line?

Robot built SL motor 302hp.:frown:
Hand built AMG SL motor 469hp.:smile:

Back