• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you trade your NSX for the new M3?

I have the current ( E46 ) M3 and don't plan on trading for the new one. I'm going to wait until about 2009 and then buy the foor door and add it to the stable:biggrin: Nice car but it would make no sense to trade a mid engine exotic for a two door coupe even if it is a super coupe. Must be a Silverstone thing:rolleyes:

I apologize, I did not mean to say I drove the R8. Just the M6 and the Vantage, and a few others like 996TT and 997C2S and C4S, Maserati GS. I did schedule to drive an R8. Even if I love it, I probably won't buy it. Too much depreciation with Audi. But I am shocked when I added the numbers up that I was into my NSX for well over 100K. So if someone wants to trade me a new M3 I better get a lot of money back! :biggrin:

Must be that Silverstone paint makes people think they had imaginary test drives:rolleyes:

How was the Vantage drive? you did actually take that one right:biggrin:

No, there are way too many beamers out there already. I like having a car you don't see on the road that often.

No, there are way too many beamers out there already. I like having a car you don't see on the road that often.

I second that. That was the second reason why I got a NSX in the first place. The first reason being that I just love the car.

Must be that Silverstone paint makes people think they had imaginary test drives:rolleyes:

How was the Vantage drive? you did actually take that one right:biggrin:

I gotta say, the Vantage is a nice car. The one I drove was optioned out to 125K. Its giot a nice combo of luxury/sport, the materials quality is 10X the NSX (but then a lot of 100K cars have better materials today), GREAT alpine stereo... car is GORGEOUS inside and out. Definitely had the "bond" factor. But at the end, it really didn't perform better than my NSX. Now with the supercharger there is no contest. Still, it would probably have been my second choice over the M6 and 997S.

Funny thing was that even the salesperson at Aston told me "I would honestly keep the NSX" :eek:

Absolutely NOT....

If I had an NSX (
hswiggle_2.gif
), no I would not. I like the E36 more than the E46, and I think I'll like the E46 more than the new M3. The power dome in the hood of the new car drives me nuts, and i havn't even seen the car in person yet.

I have been driving my friends 1995 M3 for the past 2 years. He basically gave it to me until he comes back from overseas. It's a nice car but wtf was BMW thinking when it designed the shifter? Man, the throws on that thing are miles apart! I just wanted to clarify that I have absolutely no intentions on trading my car in. Dave, the Aston Martin is so incredibly gorgeous. If I could ever afford one, I would definitely get it. Wingz, like my sig?:)

Last edited:
NSX all the way:smile: I have never been a fan of the M3s - they just another BMW on the road. This year I started out of driving my NSX for 4 consecutive days until the rain would pass through and WOW guys/gals how can you get sick of it or trade with other car and most of the time after I park it and walk away, looking back to the NSX surrounding by godzilla cars and the image keep reminding me "It is a true beautiful exotic" just take by breath away. I think the more you drive your NSX, the more addition/connection you have toward the NSX and those that have NSX as a garage queen would think of trading it just to find out they really do want to come back to the NSX.:smile:

Let me think about this...

1. Trade an appreciating asset for a depreciating asset?
2. Trade a discontinued exotic for an everyday car?
3. Trade a thinking man's Ferrari for... "what was I thinking?"

... NOT!

No, no and um... no.

Nope but I wouldnt mind adding it to the stable with the NSX

I gotta say, the Vantage is a nice car. The one I drove was optioned out to 125K. Its giot a nice combo of luxury/sport, the materials quality is 10X the NSX (but then a lot of 100K cars have better materials today), GREAT alpine stereo... car is GORGEOUS inside and out. Definitely had the "bond" factor. But at the end, it really didn't perform better than my NSX. Now with the supercharger there is no contest. Still, it would probably have been my second choice over the M6 and 997S.

Funny thing was that even the salesperson at Aston told me "I would honestly keep the NSX" :eek:

Yeah the Aston would be an "add" not an "or". Hopefully it will be low maintenance if I don't drive it often:biggrin:

Don't you have a '91 NSX? :confused:

Yes, which was purchased in Jan 2005. Between 1991-2005 we all had time to figure out all the issues of this model year car, see if they were corrected(snap ring etc...) and make a purchase with confidence.

So for clarity, I wouldn't buy an introductory model car such as this M3, in it's introductory year. There is no track record to follow.

I wouldn't trade my NSX but I would maybe think about an S2000 or 350z. NSX is in a higher class IMO than any 3 series BMW.

Yes, which was purchased in Jan 2005. Between 1991-2005 we all had time to figure out all the issues of this model year car, see if they were corrected(snap ring etc...) and make a purchase with confidence.

So for clarity, I wouldn't buy an introductory model car such as this M3, in it's introductory year. There is no track record to follow.

That is very true. Thanks for the clarification.

I like M3's a lot. The problem I have with them is 3 years after the new model is released, they seem, IMO, to become dated. It seems like unless you upgrade to the newest version every 3 years, you're driving an 'old' M3.

But even beyond that, there no way I would even consider it.

I like M3's a lot. The problem I have with them is 3 years after the new model is released, they seem, IMO, to become dated. It seems like unless you upgrade to the newest version every 3 years, you're driving an 'old' M3.

This is very true with the exception of one model, the e30 M3! I love that car!

I am a huge BMW fan, on the board of the Wisconsin BMW CCA, very active in BMW events locally, etc. My 'nice-weather' daily driver is a 2003.5 E46 M3 6-speed.

I would not trade my 1991 NSX for a new V8 M3. I plan to keep it a long time.

In that price range, I think the 996 TT is pretty hard to beat and I hope to replace my E46 with one in the next year or two.

Let me think about this...

1. Trade an appreciating asset for a depreciating asset?
2. Trade a discontinued exotic for an everyday car?
3. Trade a thinking man's Ferrari for... "what was I thinking?"

... NOT!

Summed up nicely. Never would trade my NSX for any BMW. However, I would trade my jaguar x-type for an M3.

And no, I am not considering it.:) Just curious if anyone here would do it. Since the new m3 will cost 60k+, lets say you own a 2003+NSX for it to be a fair comparison. Would you trade your 2003+ NSX for the new M3? I think the BMW driving "feel" is second to none. I had a 2001 330I and sold it for a Lexus IS350. Let's just say I took a step back, imo. There is something about the steering feel of a BMW that no other car manufacturer can copy.

I agree that the ///M3 is a wonderful car. If the new one delivers like I think it will I would like to get one after they have been out a couple of years to work out the bugs. My previous ///M3 was a blast, but a maintenance nightmare. I would not get rid of the NSX for one, but would like to have one as an additional car.

They don't change models that often. They typically last 6-7 years per generation and then skip a year before the new model.

Back