• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

10% ethanol 90% gasoline

well its been about a month now...

i still have pure gasoline in my car (haven't converted yet)

all its' life, it has been running on pure gasoline...

will it be fine?

but it seems like I have no choice... :(

Your post is a little mixed, but if you want to know if 10% ethanol will hurt the NSX, in a word, no. From what I have read ethanol burns cleaner than gas. And no, you really do not, or will not, have much choice. I have been a Shell gasoline user for as long as I can remember, and they are converting to 10% ethanol in my area now.

clr1024 said:
Ski Banker - nice quote in you message...that movie was hysterical:biggrin:

Thanks, totally agree. :biggrin: "I know everything there is to know about maple syrup. I eat maple syrup on pancakes, on pizza, sometimes I even put a little in my hair when I've had a rough week. What do you think holds it up slick?" :biggrin:

20-proof...

Chazz: Grief is nature's most powerful aphrodisiac.

On topic... gasohol has been used in certain midwest/urban areas for generations.

Decade maybe. But I have places where I can buy the real thing-and I mostly do. Gas has more energy the alcohol, better mileage and a few more horsepower. We have been sold a fraud on gasohol.

My area has been changing to 10% ethanol. I asked my tuner about it and he said "that's good". He is a strong proponent of running methanol injection in high performance forced induction cars (which mine is). The alcohol burns cleaner and cooler than gas. He did tell me that it takes twice the volume of alcohol to produce the same power as gasoline. I wonder if that means that fuel mileage will be slightly lower with the 10% ethanol blends.

Ski_Banker said:
I think in most U.S. states, summertime gas has been part ethanol for years. Switches back to 100% war catalyst in the winter months.
No, the winter blends drop the ethanol content to around 7 percent instead of 10 percent the rest of the year.

There are no problems running 10 percent ethanol in the NSX. And because it's only 10 percent, any difference in mileage is negligible.

And corn growers love it! :wink:

cornfield.jpg

nsxtasy said:
No, the winter blends drop the ethanol content to around 7 percent instead of 10 percent the rest of the year.

There are no problems running 10 percent ethanol in the NSX. And because it's only 10 percent, any difference in mileage is negligible.

I think the percentages vary considerably by state. Good to hear that it doesn't have any impact on mileage or performance or wear, though.

Hehe maybe that's what the breakthrough technology in the next gen NSX will be - nuclear fusion powered engine! :biggrin:

neilh said:
http://www.businessweek.com/print/technology/content/may2006/tc20060519_225336.htm

It's not that clear that ethanol is a good thing, unless you grow corn or are part of Archer-Daniels-Midland.

Great article. I especially liked...

"Surprise, surprise, it isn't. The move this spring by more regions to use ethanol means that demand has spiked, driving up prices. On Monday, the New York harbor price was around $3 per gallon compared with about $2.28 for gasoline (before being mixed with ethanol). In other words, for now ethanol is helping to increase prices at the pump, not to push them down.
"

Our state has jsut switched to E10 since April 2006. Up until that date we never had E10 or E15 before. Anyway, in my two daily driver cars I notices a 1-2 MPG dropped in gas mileage. This has been consistent in both cars.

If you're close to a rural area, you can get 100% gas there. It will most likely be cheaper too.

news up date, i am now running 100 octane, pure gasoline, and I love it! but yes it is expensive! but gas is already expensive!!
in japan i heard you can get like 103 octane...

NSXchnk said:
news up date, i am now running 100 octane, pure gasoline, and I love it! but yes it is expensive! but gas is already expensive!!

You're wasting your money.

I've been on the track with 10% ethanol... if it would've done harm, I'm sure it would've happened already.

x

gas in japan is crazy, 4-5 bucks a gallon. and only 2 grades to choose from. you can probably buy 103 somewhere though.

but then again, you can buy 103 octane (maybe a little more/less) in buffalo ny too..... or you could just go to an airport.

NSXchnk said:
in greece u can get 100 octane @ any gas station thats nice !! come on here peolpe do the same think

NSXchnk said:
in greece u can get 100 octane @ any gas station thats nice !! come on here peolpe do the same think

DIMITRIS said:
in greece u can get 100 octane @ any gas station
The gasoline that's labeled 100 octane in Greece has about the same octane as premium gasoline sold in North America as 93 octane; they just label it using a different scale. Here in North America, pumps are labeled using (RON+MON)/2, which is properly called the "anti-knock index". Other markets, including Japan and Europe, use RON, which is higher than MON or our (RON+MON)/2.

You can read more about gasoline octane and what it means in Part 3 of the Gasoline FAQ.

Higher octane in a car that's not tuned with more aggressive ignition timing and compression ratio is a waste of money as you will not benefit from it at all. In fact, there is a school of thought that says you may lose power if you go extreme. Higher octane gas burns slower than low octane (hence more knock resistant). This slower burning air/fuel mix in an engine tuned for lower octane means a less powerful "explosion" in the combustion chamber as pressure builds up over a greater period of time (slow burn)

Gasohol is said to have detrimental effects on older cars as the ethanol has corrosive properties. I read that certain parts of engines from older cars are of a certain alloy that is more susceptible to corrosion. This takes some time to show ie. you will not see immediate damage using it for just a few months

Finally, I can feel a perceptible loss in engine response on gasohol compared to pure benzene...this I tried on the Lexus GS

Back