• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 NSX has a New Caretaker

Well, after wanting an NSX for many years I have finally taken the plunge and now can't believe I didn't do it sooner. I have several 70's era muscle cars and a 1959 Chevy Apache pickup truck, but lately I have been thinking about the cars that really tripped my trigger when I was younger. The NSX was one of those cars...

The car I bought is an immaculate condition 1 car from Nashville, TN. The prior owner was the second caretaker of this car. He bought it in 1996 with 14,000 miles and since that time it has never seen the rain having traveled now just a total of 38,000 miles. The car is pristine with all maintenance up to date and all typical problem areas already addressed. The maintenance has mainly been performed by a member here known as Barnman and includes: new timing belt and water pump, new coolant hoses, valve adjustment and new gasket, new clutch slave and master cylinder, and flush/fill of the braking system. In addition, the window regulators, A/C evaporator and speakers have already been repaired and dealt with. To say that the PO was fanatical on maintenance is an understatement. All paperwork and receipts have been retained in a three ring binder and organized in sleeves, and go back to the original window sticker and temporary tag from the dealer. The only thing missing is the original purchase document.

The car is all original with the exception of Enkei 17"/18" wheels, Taitec exhaust, and Bilstein shocks. The original wheels, exhaust and shocks were retained and provided to me. The interior is like new with virtually no wear on the seat bolsters and everything functioning like new. Underneath the car, the chassis was detailed once a year and again everything looks new.

Driving this car is fantastic - it's so different than the high torque, low rev muscle cars I have. I am amazed by the quickness of the car, and the fantastic steering, shifting, cornering and acceleration. To say the least - I love this car.

Most cars I buy are needy, and after telling my wife how perfect they are the boxes start showing up and the bills start rolling in. This car really is pretty much perfect. I do plan to buff the paint to remove some hazing and light micro scratches. One question I have concerns the roof and "B" pillars and whether the black finish in these areas can be buffed out like a normal auto finish. I would appreciate any advice or comment in this regard.

Here's a few pictures...

bddc41a4-5789-405f-985e-09961c304b2a_zpsde8e3386.jpg

D48422EF-9878-463D-B725-B1128DB98E2C_zpsvvnyqhdj.jpg

02B6154E-0EA8-421E-B8FD-71DB046E5904_zpsbxeccpbo.jpg

BF7547BD-2028-4027-9053-9268ADC7ED47_zpsh8csuotb.jpg

1BFA24B6-A038-433A-AE81-48DDF4601C36_zpsht9c2eve.jpg

what a contrast to your other cars.......many happy miles with a jewel of a car.

Congrats!! Fits right in with some of my favorite hotwheels when I was a kid!!! Classics!!!!

Absolutely beautiful 91 --- very tasteful mods and I can tell the previous owners took great care --- have owned lots of cars in my life of all types, and, there is something really special about the NSX that sets it apart from all others. Just a really special automotive experience and adventure every time I fire her up. Thanks for sharing the pics and your story - and congrats on the purchase and welcome. Jay

What an "introduction" :eek: Love the NSXPrime moniker you chose...... better not bend those NSX wheels, Bob.
Nice looking NSX, and garage/contents. And in WV with so many cool roads!

Congratulations and welcome.

Bob,

I'm glad you're enjoying my old NSX. It was a fantastic car for me, and although I have owned 108 cars over the years, the one that stayed with me for so many years was the NSX that you bought from me. I am so glad the car went to a good home with someone who will cherish it and take care of it like I did. It's certainly in a heck of a lot nicer garage now. :)

BTW to all on NSX Prime: Bob actually bought a car from me about 5 years ago, and I was quite surprised to have him call me on my Autotrader ad. He saw my NSX 5 years ago when he came to pick that other car up, and has wanted one since. He'll make a great addition to our community.

congrats. as for the B-pillars there are 2 nuts on the back side of it you need to take some of the interior out to get to them. also the a-pillars have like 12 screws which are all visible after you pull the rubber down to see them, send the off to get re=painted if buffing cant cure the swirls

goodluck and welcome

I think I love the garage as equally as I do the car! Both look great!!

Well, I took the NSX and a few of my other cars to a large multi-day car show they have here in the area. The NSX was a big hit with everyone, especially the 18 to 30 year old crowd. I was amazed at the number of people that actually knew what the car was since WV is not a hot bed for exotic cars. The primary sponsors of the car show were all allowed to select one car each for a sponsors award and the NSX was selected. Having said that, the Hemi Cuda drew the biggest crowd of all three. Here's a few pictures.

BA88F9FC-1B2B-4715-8891-6F6126D95A6A_zps2dt4wgcz.jpg

03DD606A-455C-4F41-81BB-26DCAA670CC5_zps6yqpmtok.jpg

FDAA88E7-7C58-426E-9905-4E36F3AB514D_zpskilfqykz.jpg

Where do these go?

The PO of my car saved everything which is great. I spent some time today doing a few things on the car, unpacking and storing the original parts that have been replaced (such as the exhaust, wheels, et cetera), and organizing paperwork. The picture below shows a couple of parts for which I don't know the proper location or purpose. I would appreciate any help in letting me know where these pieces go.

Thanks - Bob.

4EE0FB23-E24C-4400-8262-211693CC2BB5_zpsf1wlpioe.jpg

you have some generic honda fender liner pushpins..see if you are missing any and push the new ones in..the rubber grommet is to cushion the spare tire against its screw retainer in your front hood compartment.

Back