• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 Pop-up headlight problem... Any suggestions?

A little help please... :confused:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I have a 1991 NSX; recently I have taken on the project of restoration and paint work. During this process I had to remove the pop-up headlamp assemblies and when re-installing them I accidently plugged in the harness for the lamps into the retractor motor harness (on the driver's side only- passenger side was not yet connected) and turned the switch on to test the lights. (Not sure if this was the cause of my problem or something else) Now when I turn the lights on they raise up all the way (except they first dip down a little, then go up) but when I turn the lights off they only close about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way. Then the only way I can get them to close completely is by barely tapping on the retractor switch until they have closed completely. I checked and switched all the relays from one side to the other and they all seem to be working ok, so the only two things left that I can think of is either a problem with the Retractable Headlight Control Unit, the one located on the rear wall under the Rear Bulkhead, or maybe I just don't know how to set the motor and height on the pop-up's. To set them all I did was re-install the assembly and using the height advance knob on top of the retractor motor, lower the assembly to the proper height. If has any ideas on this problem the information would be greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
(Also if this does sound to anyone like it is a cause of a bad RHCU and someone out there has installed the HID's and is no longer using theirs I would be interested in a cheap buy...) <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Thanks!<o:p></o:p>

I would check the fuse first. If you had the key on when installing it might have popped the fuse when reinstalling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I did check the fuse and it was blown right after I turned on the switch when the connection was wrong. I replaced the fuse and now this is the problem I am having with the lights not closing all the way. Do you know if there is some kind of adjustment on the rod connecting to the motor? Someone suggested that the rod that props the headlights might be out of sinc with the lifting and closing motion. That's why they dip down further before they open...?

I am having this exact problem, too. (super description of the movement, btw! I was wondering how I was going to write an understandable description).

I'm pretty close to just pulling the entire mechanism to study it. If anyone can save me the time, I will refer to you as "awesome" right here in the forums... Otherwise, when I get it figured out, I'll post my findings (maybe even with 8x10 glossy pictures with circles and arrows!).

Thanks everyone.
JC

Thanks for the comment on my description JC. By the looks of it... DO YOU THINK WE ARE THE ONLY 2 NSX OWNERS WHO HAVE EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM??? I think I am going to change the title of this post to NSX CHALLENGE! I know there is someone out there that knows the root of this problem… Lil help guys, pls <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Back