• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

1991 Stereo Question

Well, like many other NSX's my car's stereo is dead. All I hear is a strange sound and sometimes nothing. After reading the forums, it appears that the amps have failed. Maybe, I should change the amps instead of having the OEM Bose amps repaired since many members were not satisfied with the sound quality of repaired amps. Can I use the OEM door speakers with aftermarket amps or I need new speakers? If so, what speakers are good and what size? I want a mild setup nothing wild. I do want to retain the factory radio reason being I do not want to change the dash faceplate for the stereo. Anyone know of an aftermarket radio that will fit in orignal stereo opening without alteration? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Shaz

I dont think you can use the factory speakers with an aftermarket amp.

The speakers are 6.5". There are a myriad of brands available. Some owners are happy will Boston Acoustics which are less expensive, and others prefer Focals 165 k2p with kevlar cones which are about $500 a pair. Those are just two that I have heard of owners using.

What you will need is the SOS stereo harness that allows use of amp with the factory deck. I also recommend an IPOD adapter such as GROM or USA-SPEC. While you are at it, you may be interested in a subwoofer.

Last edited:
Well, like many other NSX's my car's stereo is dead. All I hear is a strange sound and sometimes nothing. After reading the forums, it appears that the amps have failed. Maybe, I should change the amps instead of having the OEM Bose amps repaired since many members were not satisfied with the sound quality of repaired amps. Can I use the OEM door speakers with aftermarket amps or I need new speakers? If so, what speakers are good and what size? I want a mild setup nothing wild. I do want to retain the factory radio reason being I do not want to change the dash faceplate for the stereo. Anyone know of an aftermarket radio that will fit in orignal stereo opening without alteration? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Shaz

I have the same problem now. The amp or amps were a problem when I bought the car three years ago and the dealership I bought the car from replace ( so they said) the amps but now I am having the same issue. I'm like you, I want the music but don't want to change from the original looks of the car. I have searched all over to see if there is a after market face plate that I could use to get music back in the car but haven't found anything yet. Any suggestions out there would be also appreciated. Thanks.

I have a few working amps I am willing to sell from my 2005 NSX. PM me if interested. You'll have to take apart your box and install the new amps into them.

Going afternarket involves a whole bunch of things, I don't think either of you guys are prepared to do what it takes.

The door speakers are not 6.5", although you can make a 6.5" fit. Doing that properly is a lot of work. All the speakers in the NSX including the subwoofer are 4" Bose drivers, they are the same that they use in the 901 and many other speakers. They are 1 ohm and unsuitable for aftermarket amplifiers. They are also equalized so they don't sound like the crap that they are, so even if you powered them with another amp it will sound terrible.

Well, like many other NSX's my car's stereo is dead. All I hear is a strange sound and sometimes nothing. After reading the forums, it appears that the amps have failed. Maybe, I should change the amps instead of having the OEM Bose amps repaired since many members were not satisfied with the sound quality of repaired amps.

I have repaired a lot of amps and have a lot of happy customers. There are people that are not really good at repair and just replace the amp with what ever they can get that will fit but does not have the right equalization.

I dont think you can use the factory speakers with an aftermarket amp.
Actually, you can use them and the OEM wiring to them but you'll have to open up the door speaker enclosures and bypass the OEM amps inside. This assumes you're going with a centralized aftermarket amp.

What you will need is the SOS stereo harness that allows use of amp with the factory deck. I also recommend an IPOD adapter such as GROM or USA-SPEC. While you are at it, you may be interested in a subwoofer.
I agree whole-heartedly with these comments. However, by using a central amp, you can also put a little more boost into the OEM sub which may be enough depending on your budget and listening tastes. Going that route will mean bypassing the amp in the subwoofer enclosure as well .. plus you'll probably want to run some new wiring from the new amp to the new sub because the OEM wiring is a little small for an aftermarket setup

- - - Updated - - -

I have repaired a lot of amps and have a lot of happy customers. There are people that are not really good at repair and just replace the amp with what ever they can get that will fit but does not have the right equalization.
And I'm one of them. Brian does good work. This is cheaper than any kind of aftermarket amp route.

You can use an aftermarket amp with the factory speakers if you'd like a damaged and blown amplifier on your hands in 6 months. As I mentioned above, these speakers are ONE OHM. it places an incredible load on any aftermarket amplifier. Furthermore, it will sound bad, as these speakers are heavily EQ'ed for their enclosures and the driver's shortcomings.

Running aftermarket wire and "bypassing" the Bose amps with those drivers is a bad idea.

Running more power to the subwoofer is also not a good idea. You won't get better sound out of it for a whole variety of reasons I can exaplain if you really want to know.

Either keep and repair your amps and keep it factory or yank the amp and speakers altogether. The amps/speakers in this car are basically ONE UNIT. Don't try to part them out.

Last edited:
You can use an aftermarket amp with the factory speakers if you'd like a damaged and blown amplifier on your hands in 6 months. As I mentioned above, these speakers are ONE OHM. it places an incredible load on any aftermarket amplifier. Furthermore, it will sound bad, as these speakers are heavily EQ'ed for their enclosures and the driver's shortcomings.
Been running mine with aftermarket amp and OEM speakers for about a year and a half with no issues. Actually, I think they're two ohms not one .. but I agree with the advice that you should make sure your amp can drive 2 ohm loads. BTW, we're talking normal listening levels here .. not trying to win a max sound contest.

Running aftermarket wire and "bypassing" the Bose amps with those drivers is a bad idea.
I wasn't suggesting running 'aftermarket wire'. I was recommending using the OEM wiring to the door .. along with the SOS adapter

Running more power to the subwoofer is also not a good idea. You won't get better sound out of it for a whole variety of reasons I can exaplain if you really want to know.
I was just suggesting that with an aftermarket multi-channel amp, you have the ability to separately amplify the sub more (relative to the OEM stereo feed) than what the head unit is able to accomplish. My comment about the heavier sub wiring was just 'future proofing' the installation in case you decide to upgrade the sub speaker in the future so that you wouldn't have to open up the console at that point.

I've measure them. They are much closer to 1 ohm than 2. You're getting away with it, but it's not good practice. I can guarantee its taking a toll on your amp. And I can't imagine, do you like how it sounds? It's going to be missing some serious top end and low end without its EQ. that driver has far from an ideal response without the EQ. What's the point of keeping those drivers? I guess I am missing the point.

I can guarantee its taking a toll on your amp.
How so? The amp has a quoted rating for 2 ohms (and different rating for 4 ohm) so I don't see the harm in driving 2 ohm speakers.
And I can't imagine, do you like how it sounds? It's going to be missing some serious top end and low end without its EQ. that driver has far from an ideal response without the EQ.
To be honest, the sound quality has improved .. but the OEM amps might have been starting to go.
What's the point of keeping those drivers? I guess I am missing the point.
They may be small but nobody complained about the quality when they first came out in '91 so why would they suddenly be 'not worthy'. Besides, I run an RM Racing exhaust with headers so paying for pristine sound quality is a waste anyway.

Back